Options

IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

Comments

• Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kind of figured that. I was just explaining my thoughts on this job, to my wife. I told her I was sold on this being in IT really at all.
  • Options
    The job from yesterdays interview offered me a job. A co-worker of mine has a nephew who is the IT Operations Manager. He is checking for me to see if their would be a chance of doing this job for awhile, and then transferring into the IT dept. (basically getting my foot in the door)

What do you guys think of this now?
  • Options
    Not sure if this is a good choice. But I counter the offer. The lady came off particularly not nice.
    (said, the offer X amount, firm)

If this was an IT position 100%, I would jump all over it. And I don't want to take a job there, without knowing if there is a chance to move into the IT dept. Because if there isn't, then I will be doing less than I do now. (and what I do now, isn't blowing my doors off with offers)

What say you, guys/gals of TE?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Don't take it, if your gut feels uneasy about it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I hear ya. I probably won't take it.

I guess there is some IT aspects of this position, otherwise they wouldn't have asked what ping is, how do you find out who has files open in server 2008, and what is group policy. I still haven't heard back from my co-workers nephew. But even if he told me that he would bring me into the IT dept after a year, I would still lose a year to not really growing my IT skills. (besides thru certifications and my degree plan)
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even if he can promise to get you into the IT, I would still be cautious. If something happened and he wasn't able to bring you in - you would be stuck in a position you don't want to be in. I would try to find something where I would be doing IT work from the start.
  • Options
    I will keep on the grind. Maybe some place will hire me doing actual IT work. lol

It was nice to be offered a salary position, a day after interviewing. :) (non exempt too) Just wish it would have been in more of an IT role.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Keep trying. It took me a long time to get an actual IT job. Along the way I took jobs just to try and break into IT. My progression went like this:

Cable Installer -> Mainframe Technician -> Helpdesk/Desk Side support -> Network Tech -> Network Analyst -> NOC Lead -> Network Engineer

That was over the course of 9 years. Just don't quit.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    During your progression, at what point did you have your CCNA? Just wondering if it helped along the way.

So should I open my search to include IT "type" jobs? (like what you did in your progression)

When I search for positions on Indeed etc, I put in IT, Information Technology, Help Desk, Desktop Support, Network, etc. because I have noticed not all jobs will show up under the banner of IT. I tend to send my resume and apply at the above positions.
  • Options
    Here is the job description for the Wolters Kluwer job:

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
    • Manage phone, e-mail, and chat support for moderate to complex system or content issues; identify, resolve, and escalate issues when necessary; record these interactions in our customer relationship database.
    • Identify and document resolution to reoccurring inquiries.
    • Mentor existing staff and monitor open tickets of assigned PSRs to assure timely and effective resolution.
    • Cross-train on other CCH products and systems.
    • Participate in projects and as well as process improvement initiatives.
    • Provide general reports to management as requested.
    • Participate in product testing and review as required.
    • Secure and keep confidential product and customer data.

Minimum Qualifications:
    • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, IT or MIS.
    OR
    • High School Diploma (or equivalent) and a minimum of 2 years of working in a helpdesk or technical support environment.
    • Must be able to work approved overtime and non-standard hours (including evenings & weekends) as required to meet objectives.
    • Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
    Preferred Qualifications:
    • Bachelor's Degree in MIS, Information Technology or related field.
    • Experience working in the Computer Science, Accounting, Technical or Management Information Systems field.
    • Experience working with Tax & Accounting software products.

Additional Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
    • MIS, application, technology testing, networking and/or internet services knowledge including:
    • Application architecture and operations, client server technology detailed SQL scripting, database tables/joins/architecture.
    • Writing/troubleshooting complex scripts.
    • Citrix, dumb-terminal, and fat server/thin client theory.
    • Understanding of and ability to troubleshoot, correct and rebuild Windows registry and application permission keys
    • Advanced computer and internet skills including Microsoft office.
    • Service orientation - high commitment to meeting needs of customers and colleagues.
    • Advanced professional communication skills both written and verbal.
    • Ability to diffuse and provide effective resolution to customer complaints.
    • Strong analytical and decision making skills.
    • Detail-oriented and ability to handle multiple top priorities.
    • Ability to function in a fast-paced, collaborative, matrixed team environment.
    • Ability to work flexible schedule and manage overtime as required to meet objectives.
    • Experience with customer relationship management systems a plus.
    • CPA, EA or other Accounting Certification or knowledge of tax, accounting and audit principles, practices and legislation/regulations is a plus.
    • MCITP, MCSE, CCA, Network+, Server+ or A+ Technical Certification is a plus.
  • Options
    that is the one that offered you the job?
  • Options
    thatguyftwthatguyftw Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know that it's been stated before, but never give up on your search to get into IT. I recently did a career change at the beginning of the year. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing wasn't a good fit for me. Searched, applied, and interviewed for various IT jobs for months. It was very difficult; I had no experience or any certifications. I ended up landing a job at Dell as a client tech support.
    Seeking a career change from International Development to Network Engineering
    Current goals: Security+ [], CCENT [], CCNA, [], CCNA: Security []
  • Options
    @Scaredoftests: yea that is the job that I got the offer from. Some of what's in the description want talked about during the interview.

@Thatguyftw: I totally understand. I wouldn't want to lose more time I could be gaining more skills. I've interviewed with Dell twice. Granted it was for field tech senior associate both times.

I'm wondering if I shoot too high for the jobs I'm applying for.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Chadius wrote: »
    During your progression, at what point did you have your CCNA? Just wondering if it helped along the way.

So should I open my search to include IT "type" jobs? (like what you did in your progression)

When I search for positions on Indeed etc, I put in IT, Information Technology, Help Desk, Desktop Support, Network, etc. because I have noticed not all jobs will show up under the banner of IT. I tend to send my resume and apply at the above positions.

When I was at the Helpdesk I did my CCENT. As a Network Tech I did my CCNA. As a Network Engineer I finished my CCNP. Now I'm gearing up for the CCIE. My path worked for me, it may not work anyone else. Just things to keep in mind.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    thatguyftwthatguyftw Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Scaredoftests: yea that is the job that I got the offer from. Some of what's in the description want talked about during the interview.

@Thatguyftw: I totally understand. I wouldn't want to lose more time I could be gaining more skills. I've interviewed with Dell twice. Granted it was for field tech senior associate both times.

I'm wondering if I shoot too high for the jobs I'm applying for.

It seems like a basic tech support position, so I don't think you shot too high on that one; just unlucky. I noticed Dell have long titles for helpdesk positions; "Client Field Technical Servies Sr. Associate," "Client Technical Support Senior Associate," etc.
    Seeking a career change from International Development to Network Engineering
    Current goals: Security+ [], CCENT [], CCNA, [], CCNA: Security []
  • Options
    Wichita is a weird beast of sorts. We have the Buchanan help desk jobs, paying 12 an hour. Then we have hybrid help desk jobs at numerous companies (which don't come open often), and they pay pretty well. Prolly because they are getting two jobs out of you. ;p

They are in demand here so much, that when a decent desktop support or help desk job comes open, it is bombarded with 100+ applicants.

There is a help desk position constantly open with a school district. It is 36k a year. I am weary of taking a lower paying job and being stuck there in the same position I am now. Difference would be that I make a good wage. I will have my ccent in August. So lets see.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To be honest, in IT, and for me in particular the biggest hurdle was getting that first IT job. After that it definitely got much easier. (I've been on vacation the last week in the Ozarks, so was unplugged from the world which was great!)

So a quick synopsis since I last read your posts is that you got an offer from WK, but also another one with doing some sort of IT, but a "chance" to move into the IT department further down the road.

I personally would say "thanks but no thanks" to the one offering you the chance to move into another department. Most times those will burn you with broken promises. I would avoid them personally.

With WK, it looks like a pretty much standard helpdesk/desktop type of role. I've done support of specialized software suites in my first IT job after I got my degree. I thought I would never see that software again because it was buggy and honestly poorly coded so it was full of bugs. Fast forward 4 years and I was working for a company that used that software and I was automatically the "expert" of that application for the company and quickly became that for many other parts of that desktop role. Specialized software support wouldn't scare me and the contacts that you would make could be a good thing to have. It's a full on IT job which is really your biggest battle right now.

The school district job wouldn't be a bad one either. Keep in mind that raises may not happen anytime soon due to the school budget fight that Kansas is having currently so they likely do not have much room on negotiation. But, it's a decent starting wage and while it is a cut from what you make currently, it's not a bad one to get that first break. I wouldn't look at the job as a long term one by any means and use it as a springboard to move you into a bigger and better role in a year. Once you have that experience, it's a good thing and will show future employers that your career is in IT, and not into something else. When you get the CCNA, and have that experience (even 6 months worth) employers may take that gamble on you over someone who has no IT experience.
  • Options
    The WK job is the only job. It's the one saying I might be able to get into the IT dept after a year. So in your eyes, the WK job and school district are pretty much both help desk jobs? WK job starts at a higher salary and let's me get OT. I just want to make sure that in a year, a potential employer would see it as IT experience and not wasted time. If both this job and the school district job would get me to the same place in a year, obviously the better paying and better benefits position would be a better fit. Correct?

Now if the school district would give me more opportunity to gain more skills then I would day that one or any other IT position I might stumble upon. I have to give WK my answer on Monday by days end.
  • Options
    If the WK job has more of a chance of advancement, I'd say accept it. After a year and that doesn't hold true, then find something else..
  • Options
    There is chance of advancement. The IT manager got back with my co-worker, and he said to take the job. He basically said what meandrunk said, without the leaving after a year part. He told me he would look me up after I start. Supposedly as far as he says, if they know I am an IT guy, then there will be different avenues for me to move to different parts of the company. (at least in the Wichita branch)

Problem is, it should have been obvious to the interviewers that I am going to school for IT, and I have IT certifications. But they never asked me what my goals are. We touched on growth, but nothing father than that.
  • Options
    The WK job is the only job. It's the one saying I might be able to get into the IT dept after a year. So in your eyes, the WK job and school district are pretty much both help desk jobs? WK job starts at a higher salary and let's me get OT. I just want to make sure that in a year, a potential employer would see it as IT experience and not wasted time. If both this job and the school district job would get me to the same place in a year, obviously the better paying and better benefits position would be a better fit. Correct?

Now if the school district would give me more opportunity to gain more skills then I would day that one or any other IT position I might stumble upon. I have to give WK my answer on Monday by days end.

Will the Wk job title you as something "IT" related? That can be something that could work to your advantage. It's fairly clear that the goal is that they want someone IT based as the requirements on degree's/etc are focused on those in that line of education and requirements on that part. Some companies want a person to get a base understanding of the software/systems before they throw them deep into IT without understanding how they learn and can grow with the company. From reading that job posting it sounds like they want to groom someone to move into some phase of their IT department. It does sound like a help desk type of position in a way. Is the pay fairly decent? And yes, the better paying job would be better as it will help you springboard into a better pay down the road, whether it is with WK or elsewhere. I would say that from what I would understand, WK would be the one I would choose mostly due to pay, benefits, and future growth. School districts, especially in KS, will be hard to get raises and promotions. I have an old co-worker who worked for a school district in Texas and had worked in their IT department as a desktop guy for 6 years and started at 23k and over that time only received pay increases to finish at 25k per year. Benefits were good, but the pay sucked. Even though he had IT experience, to be honest, he knew NOTHING when it came to business needs in the private sector. The only reason he got the job where I was and doing what I did was because his family was good friends to the VP of my old companies IT department. When I left he had been there 2 years and still knew less than I did when I started at that position. It was hard for him to transition over from the school district to the regular world. I don't think that it would really give you better or more skills, other than maybe the volume of basic stuff that anyone with an A+ could do in their sleep. It's mostly "busy" work from my understanding and not exactly something that will teach you great skills that you can't learn elsewhere.

I would imagine that WK wouldn't promise you the promotion because they need to see how you work in the company and are a good fit and where your strengths will be and what roles they have open in that time. Obviously what you are doing now isn't exactly getting you where you want to be, but WK sounds like it would be the one that would do it. I personally would make that jump if I were in your shoes and accept that offer.

I guess the next question is, did you already try to negotiate the offer? Or did they pretty much say it was a take it or leave it type of offer? I've always negotiated something more into any offer I have received. Generally I asked for 5-10% more than the original offer, or more vacation days if possible. With my current role, I countered their offer for 10% and 2 more weeks of vacation a year and they accepted it. (granted they offered only 1 week of sick time after 6 months for the 1st year, I got 2 weeks on top of that available immediately). Good luck!
  • Options
    Yea, they said take it or leave it. Firm offer. I emailed the lady asking for the benefit rate sheet, to see how much insurance is. I think (from what they said) the benefits are really good. Either when I start or after 90 days, I start off with 4 weeks vacation. (pto with sick and vacation combined) The offer is for 40k. Non exempt salary. During Jan-April, there is a bunch of mandatory OT. So that will bump the pay during that time period. I think the said about 4-5k more during that time period. Rest of the year is pretty much OT barren.

The job title is Systems Support Rep.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Yea, they said take it or leave it. Firm offer. I emailed the lady asking for the benefit rate sheet, to see how much insurance is. I think (from what they said) the benefits are really good. Either when I start or after 90 days, I start off with 4 weeks vacation. (pto with sick and vacation combined) The offer is for 40k. Non exempt salary. During Jan-April, there is a bunch of mandatory OT. So that will bump the pay during that time period. I think the said about 4-5k more during that time period. Rest of the year is pretty much OT barren.

The job title is Systems Support Rep.

In my very honest opinion, that title on a resume wouldn't look terrible. I would drop the "Rep." when you started to look for another position (If it was externally of course). You could more than likely engineer your "roles" on your resume to look very IT related and it would help in the long run.

Is the salary livable? Are you going to be super stressed out because of finances, etc by accepting the position? Just some things I'd think about before accepting.
  • Options
    @ I'mtheone:

Yea the rep part sounds a bit weak. lol

I think overall the salary is doable. I just got the rates for insurance. Kind of confusing sheet to look at. I think insurance is higher than where I am at. But it looks like the deductibles are lower also. I'll have to do some figuring on it.

I think I will be stressed about starting a new position. When I leave my current job, they pay me for my stocks. (privately owned) So that will help with any financial problems in the short term. I have been reigning in any problems with our monthly finances. So that should be good for the change.

How long should I potentially work at this place, before looking for a change? In a year at WK, I should have my CCNA, Security +, and hopefully my bachelors. (or really close)
  • Options
    I misread the insurance sheet, and they are about the same cost wise. (monthly price, and I was thinking biweekly) The deductibles are lower than ours by quite a bit.
  • Options
    I think then at this point it's a no brainer. In your resume, of course, I'd drop the "rep" part off. That makes it sounds like a "help desk" job and will definitely be beneficial to you with finding the next level position. I would at a minimum stick around for a year, unless someone happens to knock on your door with a great job. Benefits wise, that is a big bonus, especially with having a family. The vacation time isn't bad at all either, so that's another good thing. Most jobs out there don't offer near as much.

I figured it was a firm offer, but if it's doable, and it's actually pretty darn good for a persons first "IT" role. My first IT job out of school was for a bit less than that in the KC area so I was looking for something better pay right away just because of that. As far as the finances part goes, having a written budget and sticking to it will be a key for you. It's something that my wife and I do even though we live way below our means and have more than enough left over at the end of the month. We use a "cash based" system where every payday we take out a certain amount of cash for groceries/etc and put a certain amount into an envelope for known expenses or for future repairs/cars/etc. Of course, we do bill pay before we take out the cash for most monthly bills so that stays in. We don't use our debit/Credit card either except for known purchases that have been budgeted. Sure, you may have to tighten the belt short term, but in the end you'll be better off.

Going back again to how long you should stay at the job. I'd at least wait until after you get your bachelors, since that will make you a stronger candidate for future jobs. Good luck and congrats on the offer. Hopefully we will all hear good news on your next step and journey in life!
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Going back again to how long you should stay at the job. I'd at least wait until after you get your bachelors, since that will make you a stronger candidate for future jobs. Good luck and congrats on the offer. Hopefully we will all hear good news on your next step and journey in life!

On longevity, I would agree as well. Depending on how long your bachelors takes, you could walk out with a year or two of experience, some certifications and a degree. That will make you look back on this whole journey and know it was completely worth it.
  • Options
    I know they said the offer was firm, but what could happen if I countered it? (I just received the actual offer)

Also, the only issue I have with this job, is that I am not sure what I will learn in a year or more. After the interview and shadowing the employee, I left feeling that this isn't as technical as I would like. It left me feeling that the job description over sells how much IT you need to know for this job. Am I right in thinking that? I just don't want to go there and in a year or more, feel like the only I have learned is better soft skills. That won't be particularly helpful after having my degree and more certs. If I feel like I would do less IT than I do now, then that isn't helpful in my eyes.
  • Options
    I know they said the offer was firm, but what could happen if I countered it? (I just received the actual offer)

Also, the only issue I have with this job, is that I am not sure what I will learn in a year or more. After the interview and shadowing the employee, I left feeling that this isn't as technical as I would like. It left me feeling that the job description over sells how much IT you need to know for this job. Am I right in thinking that? I just don't want to go there and in a year or more, feel like the only I have learned is better soft skills. That won't be particularly helpful after having my degree and more certs. If I feel like I would do less IT than I do now, then that isn't helpful in my eyes.

Well, worst case, they pull your offer, but that is generally unlikely. If they really are firm on the salary they will come back saying that is the best they can do, unless you counter with considerably more. I would still counter with a slight bump up from the offer and see what happens.

To be honest, you are probably over thinking a bit on what you may think you will learn IT wise in the role. It's rather clear that they want an IT person in that position and it is entry level. Chances are, they will slowly immerse you in more difficult IT related tasks as you prove yourself and get to know the system and software. I wouldn't say that it would be world breaking in what you will learn, and soft skills are very important in IT to be honest when you first get started. Don't take that for granted as companies do look at those skills as well as the hard skills that you learn from your certs and other experience. And to be honest, in interviews in the future they'll look more at the job title and of course sell up the IT related tasks that you do in your resume to make it sound more technical. As long as you know what you are saying and it makes sense for the title you will have, no other company will really question whether you did it or not. They won't contact them to verify that is exactly what you did and whether you fluffed it up a bit. *Not lying, just wording it playfully to fit more of what you want to do.

I've customized my resume for different jobs to focus on the potential employer job that I am going after. You really want to sell yourself and that is the way to do it. While I really did those things, they may not have been as heavy as my resume may give the impression of. Right now it's not so much about learning a ton in your first IT position (most you really won't learn much as it is entry level) but getting the experience in IT.
  • Options
    They haven't responded to my counter. I sent it yesterday at 1.

I completely agree with your other statements. I think I was over thinking how much I can learn at a place.

I'll let you know what they say to the counter offer. If they accept, and I pass the background, then I will put my two weeks in.