Options

IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

Comments

• Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apparently I sent the counter offer to a person who can't make that decision, and was supposed to send it to another. So I did, and now they said they will update when they hear something back. I sent it to the HR person who sent me the offer link. I sent it to the other person, who forwarded it to HR. Maze of BS. lol
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Crossing my fingers!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Any news?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Nothing yet. I hope they are ok with the counter and accept. I really hope it doesn't annoy them and they rescind the offer. O.O

Btw, how do I add certifications on to my thing on the left?

But back on the job subject, if they accept, I still am waiting for background check to come back. They haven't mentioned a drug test at all. Kind of weird. On the original offer, they sent me a link to accept or decline. Then afterwards I would receive and email with all the paperwork to fill out.

I was reading the thread about counter offers, and I had a question from it. Does asking for more and getting it, put pressure on you to rise above your other co-workers in learning, work output, etc?
  • Options
    Haven't heard anything yet. They were hiring three people. Is it bad news to see that they posted the position again on indeed?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything yet. They were hiring three people. Is it bad news to see that they posted the position again on indeed?

Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they need to get any approval on what they can counter back at, or if they can accept your counter. I still think that they'll come back and say that what they offered was the best they can do.

As far as a drug screen goes, it's usually not in the offer paperwork, but will be in the set of new hire paperwork that they send you once you and they have come to an agreement. I wouldn't sweat it for the wait at this point unless it's Monday afternoon, then I may get a bit antsy. And as far as expectations go if you come in at a higher pay, it's not necessarily true. They'll expect all who are hired into that position with the same goals. Just because you may make a little more than others won't really change how they look at you and what you do in the role.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Still haven't heard anything. Not totally surprising, since it took them 3-4 days to send me the original one. I figured if the answer was no, then they would have sent the response quickly. As far as I know, the background check was on going. lol
  • Options
    They emailed back, saying the counter is still being reviewed.

On another note, I have an interview Monday for this position:

[SIZE=+1]Network / Help Desk Tech[/SIZE]

Job Summary: Under supervision of IT Manager, provides technical support for company IT infrastructure while adhering to company policies and goals. Acts as a Tier II support technician.
    Essential Functions and Responsibilities:

• Adheres to company policies and goals in support of the company’s IT needs.
    • Installs and provides technical support for company servers, PC’s, and mobile devices.
    • Applies updates and patches as required to PC’s, Servers, Routers and Switches.
    • Monitors company network and troubleshoots issues as they arise.
    • Creates and runs ad-hoc and standardized reports, while working towards setting up self-service reporting capabilities via traditional business intelligence tools.
    • Provides technical support to employees with computer issues.
    • Provides remote assistance to users including file transfers, installs, etc.
    • Assigns and distributes computer and phone equipment as authorized.
    • Assists with printer and scan box issues.
    • Rebuilds computers or refers to manufacturer support for warranty issues.
    • Performs other duties as assigned.
    Required experience:
    • Network / Help Desk Experience: 2 years

This position would be ideal! The network side would really be helpful in my career. (at least I think so)
  • Options
    Good. Go to the interview and see what happens with the counter. Do not burn your bridges (my son hates when I say that to him, so I will apoligise now..) LOL
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    They emailed back, saying the counter is still being reviewed.

On another note, I have an interview Monday for this position:

[SIZE=+1]Network / Help Desk Tech[/SIZE]

Job Summary: Under supervision of IT Manager, provides technical support for company IT infrastructure while adhering to company policies and goals. Acts as a Tier II support technician.
    Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
    • Adheres to company policies and goals in support of the company’s IT needs.
    • Installs and provides technical support for company servers, PC’s, and mobile devices.
    • Applies updates and patches as required to PC’s, Servers, Routers and Switches.
    • Monitors company network and troubleshoots issues as they arise.
    • Creates and runs ad-hoc and standardized reports, while working towards setting up self-service reporting capabilities via traditional business intelligence tools.
    • Provides technical support to employees with computer issues.
    • Provides remote assistance to users including file transfers, installs, etc.
    • Assigns and distributes computer and phone equipment as authorized.
    • Assists with printer and scan box issues.
    • Rebuilds computers or refers to manufacturer support for warranty issues.
    • Performs other duties as assigned.
    Required experience:
    • Network / Help Desk Experience: 2 years
    This position would be ideal! The network side would really be helpful in my career. (at least I think so)

There is quite a bit you'd learn on that position! Are you comfortable working with servers, being tier 2 tech, etc? I know you are looking for that first "All IT" position, but just wanting to make sure you would understand as Tier 2, you'd essentially have Tier 1 helpdesk techs coming to you with issues they couldn't fix.

Good luck on the interview!

Not saying you couldn't do it, as I don't know your exact experience. But I didn't want you to get overwhelmed with unfamiliar technologies if they were to offer you the job.
  • Options
    I have been doing desktop support for 3-4 years. Helpdesk tier one is wrapped up in that. I have my A+ and Network+, working on my CCNA.

As far as do I think I could handle it, I'm not totally sure because at my work it is work on an issue until you can't figure it out and then escalate.
    So I am not sure what a tier 2 would do per say. Personally, I think I can do most of that description and can definitely learn the rest.
  • Options
    What kind of questions should I expect at that interview? What is expected of me to know?
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Expect OSI, basic networking and probably some pressure-behavior questions. Depends really. Don't overthink it or try to memorize a book just for this interview. Show a good attitude, flexibility and willingness to learn new technologies the position will present.
  • Options
    ok so basic networking stuff. I figured command line, subnetting, etc. At my work I use command line to troubleshoot etc.

I sent a cover letter with my resume saying just that! I think this job could be something really good for my career. :)

The interview is on my birthday. So I hope it goes super good!
  • Options
    Any one else have any input on what I might see at that interview? It's a small to medium sized company in a very small town outside of Wichita.
    It's actually right next door to the Help Desk Admin job I interviewed for in June. (they decided to go a different direction btw, and got rid of all candidates)
  • Options
    Just be prepared to ask alot of questions. Sometimes,there isn't any technical questions (which I hate when that happens)..however, that is when you can show them what YOU know by asking the technical questions..
  • Options
    Like?

The questions I'm thinking of might make me sound like a tech fan boy. Lol
  • Options
    So the interview yesterday was weird. First off, I think they misrepresented what the job is. The title says Network/Help Desk Technician. He tells me at the interview, it is almost 100% Help Desk, with potential to do other things later after acclimated. Those other things, are helping him do his job as manager. Populate reports, etc. He said the switches and router are set and never touched. (set by Dell) The pay range is 35-40k. They do pay all medical, dental, and vision premiums. So none comes out of my check. Really cool. Also, the tier 2 thing is funny. Because it is just you and him for IT. No one else. (also I got him to say F@*k during the interview, made me laugh)

The other company countered my offer. I had asked for 4k more, and they came back with 2k more. Now I am just waiting for offer letter link, then accept it. Then apparently they have to start the background check over again? Makes no sense. So my start date would get pushed out, because of the 2 weeks I need to put in at my job.

Which brings me to a question I am sure someone here can answer for me. After a year or so at this company (job description a page back in my thread), and with my experience, certs, and education.....what kind of jobs would I apply for? I should have my bachelors in IT and CCNA before that year is up. Someone had said to just put Systems Support on my resume without the rep part. I was just wondering what kind of jobs I should try for after a year or two. Does systems imply microsoft/linux side of things, and I should do the MCSA route?
  • Options
    You are taking the other job, right? I hate interviews like that. grr Yes, just put Systems Support.
  • Options
    I accepted the job an hour ago! Filling out paperwork online now. :P
  • Options
    What's up with a non-compete agreement? Does that mean I can't do a similar job? or just a job that supports tax software?
  • Options
    You can't have 2 jobs doing the same thing, i think.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it depends on how the non-compete is written. I think traditionally a non-compete prevents you from working a similar job for a period of time in the same area after leaving that job. In a lot of states non-competes aren't legally enforceable if you get sued over it, but in some states they are so you have to be careful. You might want to get clarification in writing about what the non-compete is applicable to, such as supporting tax software or it support in general.
  • Options
    Good idea. I will definitely do that.
  • Options
    We are having a snag on the start date still. Since they start the background check over, I cannot give my 2 weeks notice, and they had a "hard" start date of the 10th.

I am also concerned about the insurance and my oldest step kid. He is 19. Just turned 19 2 months ago. He is a part time student, because I can only afford to pay for that much schooling. (college and books) But their insurance won't allow him to be on with us unless he is full time. it's always something.

(from above post of mine) Which brings me to a question I am sure someone here can answer for me. After a year or so at this company (job description a page back in my thread), and with my experience, certs, and education.....what kind of jobs would I apply for? I should have my bachelors in IT and CCNA before that year is up. Someone had said to just put Systems Support on my resume without the rep part. I was just wondering what kind of jobs I should try for after a year or two. Does systems imply microsoft/linux side of things, and I should do the MCSA route?
  • Options
    Look at the helpwanted ads..get a feel of what they want..apply for some just for the heck of it.
  • Options
    I shouldn't do that during my first 6 months to a year, right? The way people leave and go to another job so soon after being hired, is way weird to me. I was always taught to stay forever somewhere. lol
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    If the experience is good, stay at your new position for a year and then attempt to move on. A year should give you enough time to learn new technologies and become more knowledgable and marketable for a higher level position.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Yes, a year is just enough time.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I shouldn't do that during my first 6 months to a year, right? The way people leave and go to another job so soon after being hired, is way weird to me. I was always taught to stay forever somewhere. lol

Funny you say that because most employers are shocked at how long I've been at jobs. My last job I was there 6 years and the one before that was 5 years. I've been at my current gig a little less than 2 years, but it's time to move on.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021