Options

IT help desk analyst Tier 1 interview

Comments

• Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've actually started interviewing because of not having PTO, insurance or other benefits offered to me as a contractor. I thought I could tough it out but it's been 6 months and they just renewed my contract. I keep getting the promise of getting hired on soon, or early next year but I can't continue to wait, and $17.00 an hour is not enough for a family of 4. Between Thanksgiving and New years I'm basically being forced to take a week off without pay because of the holidays. Being a contractor is like being a second class employee. There is always something going on or being offered that doesn't apply to you because you're "just a contractor" and not a real employee.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've actually started interviewing because of not having PTO, insurance or other benefits offered to me as a contractor. I thought I could tough it out but it's been 6 months and they just renewed my contract. I keep getting the promise of getting hired on soon, or early next year but I can't continue to wait, and $17.00 an hour is not enough for a family of 4. Between Thanksgiving and New years I'm basically being forced to take a week off without pay because of the holidays. Being a contractor is like being a second class employee. There is always something going on or being offered that doesn't apply to you because you're "just a contractor" and not a real employee.
    Been there, and done that recently and am happy to have finally escaped the "hell" that is being a contractor. Dangle that carrot out there that "Hey, you COULD become full time, just be patient". Of course, if I were a higher level position making over 50 an hour, I could deal with that just fine without that carrot at all. But for those with families, the holidays stink because of those lost days of no pay.

Good luck and hope you find something soon! Persistence will pay off in the end.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing to much to update on. Still haven't heard from the third job I interviewed on. I start WGU this coming week. From what I have read, they won't let me take the CCNA in the first term. So I put my self studying on that to the side. I instead have been brushing up on the MCSA tests. Going to schedule them soon. I've applied at several more places, but since it is the holidays, I didn't figure to hear from any.

I did have a weird scenario I would like input on. The first job I interviewed on (help desk and desktop support lvl 2), they didn't offer me the job obviously. When I interviewed for the desktop support 2 job, they specifically said it was level 2 not level 1. On indeed the other day, I saw the level 1 job was posted again. So I put in for it. I emailed the intermediary guy who schedules interviews etc, and he said I interviewed for both. From what I have seen on their site before, if you have been thru the process, it won't let you apply for any position that you have done before. But it let me, so I put it in. Is it possible that they might interview me for the level 1 position? or would they just see that I have interviewed twice recently and skip me. Funny thing is, my experience lines up perfectly with a level 1 desktop support person. I assume I haven't gotten any offers because someone else has a better resume of exp and ed.

On another note, will bad credit screw me from getting jobs? I'm not having any luck with employers telling me exactly why I was over looked. One gave me a general idea, but couldn't go into detail. Which sucks, because I could use the info to better myself.

I'm going into 2015 with a positive outlook. I want a job. Should I post my resume so my fellow Tech Exams people could look it over?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's possible they'll interview you but there's a point where it's too aggressive. I wouldn't worry about being over aggresive though unless it's one of the few IT places around or your dream job.

I don't think bad credit would usually hurt except in the financial field. I like to deal in cash and have very little credit, I don't think it hurt me but I'll never know.

It wouldn't hurt to post your resume but if you are getting a good percentage of interviews it might not be of much help. I never posted mine but took the functional resume advice in the resume thread and it changed my interview rate ten fold. It's a very plain, no style except some capitals and bullets with an easy to read font.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I understand. The third job never called or emailed me whether or not I got the job. Today, I see it's posted on Indeed again. (even though inside the post it says 12-4-14)

I'll keep working on my credit rebuild. Couldn't hurt having one less thing for jobs to possibly hold against me. :P

I'm not sure I am getting a good return on my resume. 4 interviews in person, one additional phone interview. I've sent my resume to probably 50 places in 4 months.
  • Options
    I haven't updated in a bit, so here we go.

Third job: no dice. They emailed me the auto turn down letter saying they have found better candidates. The same day they re-posted the position on Indeed. lol Apparently the "better candidates" were made up. ;) No worries. I got no feedback from them either.

The first company I interviewed twice with, got back with me and gave me feedback. Here it is verbatim:

Sorry it has taken so long to reply back about Chad. He had a great interview it is just that I hired the current contractors to fill the positions.

There was only two who scored higher than Chad in the interviews (besides the contractors I hired) and that was just because of the experience that I was looking for. Like I said before I wish I could of hired all of them.

I will say one thing and that is since I manage the executive support team I was looking for at least one of them to wear a suit during the interview (None did). These guys have a good chance of standing before the CEO and fixing his computer or smart phone and they have to be dressed pretty sharp and on there A game. That’s what I was looking for the most.

Interesting huh? :) I have an interview Monday with a company, I think they are a MSP or something similar. We'll see how that goes.

Today I was called by a company called Convergys, whom hire for Net Apps. The lady asked how I was, and then immediately went into a technical interview over the phone. She asked about 10 tech questions, which caught me off guard. I scored one questions under the line to go further in the process. The questions ranged from a Windows 2000 question, to a layer 2 question, etc. She said study up and call her back. lol I was in a loud environment when she called, could hardly hear the questions, and now I can't remember half of them. It's for a Tech Support Rep lvl 2 position.

I have been shot gunning my resume to everything that looks good on Indeed and other places. I guess not a lot of places around my area use Craigslist for jobs. Just spam.

On a side note, I had a phone interview the "largest privately owned company" in the USA last summer. They have a huge IT footprint, and I wouldn't mind working there. Well I didn't make it past the phone conversation. Was my first interview in 15 years, and I wasn't ready. Fast forward to now, there is Teksystems postings on indeed all the time. I have talked to them before. I have seen positions open up with them, and I shoot them an application/resume. The lady emails me back, saying she can't help me. The positions they are hiring for, are for that large company. The large companies policy is: once you have interviewed for us, you can't go thru another service for one of our jobs, for an entire year. Dumb policy. And since I did that one phone interview, every time I apply for an opening, I get an instant email saying I'm not good enough basically. Kind of like my email or log in is registered to kick out an auto NOPE email from them.

Does my process in all this sound familiar to everyone, or am I just eternally screwed to always being a good interview but not someone they would not hire? lol

I'll post back after I hear back from my next interview.
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that wearing a suit vs not being a major component of the interview is quite silly. Executive support or not, you hire for the person, not their clothing.

That being said, I have worn a suit to every interview I have ever been on. I see it as an effort to show respect and will influence their initial judgments of you (very important in such a short meeting period). Additionally, I make an effort to type out, print, sign and mail thank you letters to every interviewer who meets with me. Old fashioned? Over the top? Maybe... However, it has proven very successful for me.

I have even had the interviewer and hiring manager (after I was hired) retell the story about receiving a thank you letter in the mail, running over to the IT director to show him, and then having the IT director semi-jokingly yell "hire him!" I was also told that many of the candidates didn't bother to dress up, one even showed up in sweatpants. I was the only one who wore a suit.

This was for a mid-level UNIX admin position that paid a very respectable salary, so you think people would put more consideration into interviewing...
  • Options
    Guess it's time to buy my first suit. I haven't had one since high school. (For funerals, weddings, etc)
    Won't have enough money to get one before Mondays interview though.

I do know I need to get into a full time IT gig. It seems no one I interview with can wrap their head around the fact
    That I work part time for our parent companies IT department.
  • Options
    Not only does a suit make you look more professional but it boosts your confidence. Wear it with pride and you'll eventually land what you are looking for.

I do think wearing a suit is a silly requirement for a job interview but HR does have a point. In the small office I work the managers and I are expected to be professionally dressed, because we regularly interact with the suit-wearing ceo. For me it's khakis and collared shirts. Interview was suit.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I wore khakis and a collared shirt. I think men's warehouse usually has pretty ok deals. I'll go look, and see how much I need to budget for a suit. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Options
    I always wear a suit for interviews. Is it over the top and honestly something that I wouldn't wear at all at the job? Sure. But it gives off a great impression that you took the time to look as good as you possibly could. Men's Wearhouse is great for suits and they have deals going on quite often. They'll tailor it to fit you perfectly, and should you happen to lose weight, or gain weight, they are really good about alterations, and if they have altered it in the past they'll do it again for free. (I've had mine done several times as I've lost weight since I bought the suit.

You could get one for a little less at say JCP or Kohl's, but I don't think they are as good with alterations should you need that done in the future. Good luck with your interview tomorrow and i hope to hear some good news from you soon.
  • Options
    I'm getting a suit from Men's Warehouse the first week of February. :) As for my interview today, I had to reschedule to Thursday. My current job has an "OMG" important test for me to run, so gotta keep the current employer happy. :P To be honest, I don't even know the position I applied for, and have interview for on Thursday. I only apply to jobs I know I can do, so at least it's not a Network Engineer position. lol
  • Options
    If you are on a budget, you could always check out Goodwill, especially near the nicer areas of town as sometimes someone may donate a suit there. They are usually fairly cheap and if you find one that fits "good enough" you can get it altered somewhere in town for not too much and it will fit like a glove and look great.

Good luck with your interview on Thursday. Hope everything goes great for you with that.
  • Options
    Thanks. BTW, I pm'd you. :)
  • Options
    I ended up not going to the one interview. Current employer had a ton of testing for me to do, so I to decline the appointment.
    I have an interview Monday for another company. It is for a computer systems admin. Here is the posting:

Responsibilities:
    • Installs, integrates and configures routine PC-based computer systems and hardware.
    • Set-up printers, iSeries sessions, and devices in LumberCore, the iSeries and on the network.
    • Create and maintain user security on the iSeries, in LumberCore, Active Directory and building security system.
    • Responsible for administrator tasks and support for the IP based phone system and cell phone systems.
    • Perform mechanical maintenance on printers, PC’s, and other peripheral hardware.
    • Maintain software licenses.
    • Purchase user supplies including printers, cables, mobile phones and accessories, preprinted forms, etc.
    • Maintain and track “loaner” hardware available from the IT department.
    • Participate in program calls for Month-end processing.
    • All other duties as assigned by the Director of IT.

Qualifications:
    • Must demonstrate a “customer-friendly” attitude to all system users in resolving hardware, system and software issues.
    • Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of company employees.
    • Must have a demonstrated knowledge of a wide-range of computer systems, software, applications, hardware and communication tools.
    • Requires the ability to troubleshoot and successfully resolve systems, hardware and peripherals problems.
    • Must have a solid working knowledge of telecommunications and the ability to support mobile computing devices and smartphones.

Not sure what to make of some of it. Sounds like they have some proprietary software.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Sweet! Thanks fuz1on!
  • Options
    Btw, if anyone has any input on the job posting, I would appreciate it. (anything sound weird, etc)
    To me, it has the same elements of the desktop support job I interviewed for. More support than admin.
    They don't ask for experience levels, education, or certs. I meet some of the things they are asking for, except phone support.
    I haven't messed with voip much.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Chadius wrote: »
    Btw, if anyone has any input on the job posting, I would appreciate it. (anything sound weird, etc)
    To me, it has the same elements of the desktop support job I interviewed for. More support than admin.
    They don't ask for experience levels, education, or certs. I meet some of the things they are asking for, except phone support.
    I haven't messed with voip much.

don't be surprised if they lowball you in salary. aim high, at-least 45k (or 10k more than you make now), you can work down from high instead of low to high.
  • Options
    Good luck.. Sounds pretty much like a Desktop Admin type of position. They are probably looking for someone with some IT experience, but not necessarily alot of experience. Now, that could be taken a couple of ways. 1. And most likely, they have a limit on how much they can pay someone and are looking for someone fairly green that would take less money than someone who has alot of experience. 2. They want to train someone on their way, which is why it looks like they are focusing more on people skills, which are fairly important to have, especially in a role like this.

Most companies will have proprietary software to some degree, and would be expected to learn. Of course, they know that very few would have this type of experience and are willing to learn. Basically, you will be the "face" of IT to most of the customers, so they really want someone who can relate to them in non-tech terms and not make them feel dumb. So, really, focus on your people skills, even in other jobs that weren't really IT related.

Again, good luck!
  • Options
    You are mostly correct with both assumptions. :)

The interview went really good. Met with the head HR person, and then met with the IT manager. The manager said he likes that I am a "learner", and thinks I would be a good fit there. They outsource the network side of IT to a consultant. But he thinks in a year or two I can move over to being the network guy and get rid of them. There is a couple more interviews, then I might hear something. He kept mentioning that I would be a good fit, so I am hoping that means I am top of the list. lol He said the hard part for me, would be learning the in's and out's of the proprietary software and the boxes they use.

I think it went very well. I already sent them a thank you email too. Hopes aren't too high, because I thought of the other interviews went really well also. But he made it known to me, that he thinks I am the guy that fits the best. Pay is right at what I would want. Didn't talk about other benefits though. Should have, but I asked more tech questions than other types. It has some security aspects to it as well. Sounds like it could be the job I need. :P (and I didn't wear a suit. Both told me that they all wear what I wore to the interview, and having a suit on wouldn't have mattered to them)
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Congrats. The main thing about Benefits are certification and tuition reimbursement. I usually make it a priority to at least get 1 or 2 certification a year. Simply it's too make myself more marketable and pad my resume.
  • Options
    Awesome. Glad to hear that it went well (and my assumptions were correct) and hope that you hear some good news soon. As far as benefits go, that can be discussed when they send an offer, or you have another interview. Write down some notes of things you would like to ask them as it does show that you are serious in them and would like the position.

And with any job, to be honest, the proprietary software/equipment that they use will always be the hardest part of the job. Most places I've been has had some form of odd in house software, or weird software that certain industries use and aren't easy to figure out without some guidance.

As far as the suit goes, it may not have made a difference to them, but it never hurts to impress. :)
  • Options
    I would have wore one, but I am currently tapped money wise....4 kids and xmas done me in. lol (and two of them had b-days last week)

I'll make my list. I really hope I get it. Just going to be weird working somewhere else for the first time in 15 years.
  • Options
    I completely understand and hear you on being tapped money wise. :) Kids and holidays/b-days really know how to wipe out a bank account.

Now, if you get the job, I'd probably hold off on buying a suit until you get in a position that you need to look for even better jobs. :) Good luck and hope you hear good news soon. Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing and can really motivate a person with the new people, environment, equipment that you'll encounter. It's like getting a new toy and you are excited and love it.
  • Options
    And if u need a suit for not a lot. Check out this. Go to a men's warehouse or tailor and have the measure u so u know what size to buy then order online here, http://mobile.nomorerack.com/products/1750322.
    Once u get it, find a good tailor that can make it fit perfectly for you. Cost far less than anything else out there,
  • Options
    @MeanDrunk: thanks for the link. :)

Should I wait until next week to email or call about the job? I don't want to come off needy, weird, pushy, etc.
  • Options
    Did you send a thank you email? How long ago?
  • Options
    Yes, 5 days ago.
  • Options
    As far as when to reach back to them, It would probably depend on how quickly they may have mentioned that they'd take to make a decision. If they said by the end of last week, or end of this week, it would affect when I would reach back to them. If they gave you a date, I would probably wait until that date since you already sent a thank you email to them. If that date has come and passed, I would email them stating that you are reaching out to them and letting them know that you are still interested in the position and really enjoyed the interview and conversations that you had with them. Basically, keep it short and sweet. And if they didn't give you a time frame for when they would make a decision, I'd probably do that 8 days after your interview so you are refreshed back into their mind.