Options

Personality types and IT jobs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISTP-A. According to my wife the description is dead on the money. I really would be at work managing some disaster than at a cocktail party. However, the part about not doing long term planning is incorrect.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I am appalled that you would even think that this test is not accurate and that it is just an attempt to rake in a fortune on an erroneous personality model.

It was posted on FB and I read a Wiki on it (with sources verified)....Its Legit!

I am now realigning my career and life with things that are more compatible with my letters...

So I have left my wife and am still debating the kids pending their results on the test.

True, it will change and be affected by your environment (reactive)...or you can decide which 'character' do you want and consciously enforce it through repeated learned behaviors and mindset (proactive).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    You sure your not ENTP? You sound exactly like me. Last Month I was going to be an Enterprise Architect and passed my TOGAF. This month I want to be in Cyber Security and am taking my CSSLP. I am also taking my MCSE SQL DP and MCSD Web app this year along with my two master's degrees icon_razz.gif
    The two types are actually extremely similar. Both love new ideas, and get distracted by shiny (dominant extroverted intuition).

The main difference is, ENFPs are more people oriented, and ENTPs are more concept/idea/logic oriented. I.e. when deciding between jobs, both would prefer something where you get to be a jack of all trades (instead of highly regimented and segmented job duties), but an ENTP would take the one where he'd be more exposed to new technologies, or figuring out complex solutions, while an ENFP would take the one with better/more fun co-workers.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My most natural state is INTP with ENTP being a close second.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Claymoore wrote: »
    You do realize that the Myers-Briggs test is about as accurate as a Buzzfeed quiz?
    Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless - Vox

It's fun, though. Like a horoscope the explanations are full of positive things - traits we have or would like to have. I was an ENTP today.

It felt like I was reading a horoscope.

I may need to do it again. Totally confident to the point of arrogance isn't how I'd describe myself.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LordSevink wrote: »
    It felt like I was reading a horoscope.

I may need to do it again. Totally confident to the point of arrogance isn't how I'd describe myself.

That's actually the reason this (and other typologies) are not used in academic psychology. For some people they are extremely accurate, but for a lot of others, they have fairly low accuracy, and tend to suffer from Forer Effect.

Main issue is, low test-retest reliability. Quite a number of people will test as a completely different type after some time has passed, often based on factors such as their mood or what they've been doing recently. I.e. someone may test as an ESFP after a wild week in Cancun, and then as an ISTP after doing his data entry day job for several weeks.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Having been on the receiving end of several mandatory Myers-Briggs tests in the workplace over the last 10 or so years since they became fashionable in HR departments I can conclude the following;
    - I'm generally classed under one of the introverted banners
    - It's much more fun to do after a really good/bad meeting
    - If you have to do these annually at the same company, its always good to make sure the results are drastically different than the last years test to cause some extra confusion and discussion
    - It's much more accurate when you combine with astrology. Apparently I'm going to switch to being an extrovert, come into some money and meet the man of my dreams during a major birthday milestone whilst travelling extensively this month* icon_thumright.gif

Take the results with a large pinch of salt. Clay summed it up perfectly for me.

-bertieb (Hater of Myers-Briggs tests)

*I'm a very happily married 37yr old heterosexual male and am working local to my home for the next 5 weeks
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ENTJ - The Commander. Seems about right. If I don't see a path that takes me where I need to be - I'll make one.

@bertieb

Myers-Briggs? Couldn't agree more. Working in security for decades has only made me sound impatient and heavily jaded on that test. Always come up as I am trying to manipulate the test and some sort of social hazard to the company. Why? Because I know HOW to manipulate the test in the first place. Once you have that knowledge - your DOOMED! DOOMED I tell ya! DOOMED!!

- b/eads
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISTJ (The Logistcian) here...

Introverted: 33%
    Observant: 20%
    Thinking: 12%
    Judging: 29%
    Assertive: 31%

To me this sounds 80% true I don't get angry quiet easily and even if I am I don't make it easy for someone to notice it.

Come to think of it I do like sitting at the back and on the side next to the wall in class guess I was never at the center of attention.
  • Options
    confewshzconfewshz Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tested twice before and ended up as an INTJ both times.
    2017 Certification Plans: MCSA 2012 (70-417) COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR, MCSE 2012 (70-413) SIZE=2][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][B]X[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE, MCSE 2012 (70-414) [ ], VCP6-DTM (Horizon View 6) [ ], Security + [ ], CISSP, MCSA 2016 (70-743) [ ]
    TBD:
    CEH, PMP, CISA,
    Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I must be in the wrong field. icon_lol.gif

Maybe I can be a drug counselor. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I must be in the wrong field. icon_lol.gif

Maybe I can be a drug counselor. icon_redface.gif

I thought about that too, I have a lot of experience.....

....In counseling that is.
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ISTJ-A
    Variant - Assertive
    Role - Sentinel
    Introverted 5%
    Observant 40%
    Thinking 62%
    Judging 57%
    Assertive 69%

Pretty spot on for me.
  • Options
    MarcITMarcIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your personality type is:
    Virtuoso (ISTP-T)
    Variant: Turbulent

Role: Explorer

82% introverted
    36% observant
    6% thinking
    6% prospecting
    36% turbulent

ISTPs enjoy lending a hand and sharing their experience, especially with the people they care about, and it's a shame they're so uncommon, making up only about five percent of the population. ISTP women are especially rare...
    While their mechanical tendencies can make them appear simple at a glance, ISTPs are actually quite enigmatic. Friendly but very private, calm but suddenly spontaneous, extremely curious but unable to stay focused on formal studies, ISTP personalities can be a challenge to predict, even by their friends and loved ones. ISTPs can seem very loyal and steady for a while, but they tend to build up a store of impulsive energy that explodes without warning, taking their interests in bold new directions..
    ISTPs' decisions stem from a sense of practical realism, and at their heart is a strong sense of direct fairness, a "do unto others" attitude...

With a little space and a hands-on problem to solve, ISTPs can be some of the most productive people around. As with anyone, forcing people with the ISTP personality type into a mold that doesn't fit just doesn't work. Recognizing their unique perspective and gifts can lead to extraordinary results...

Not sure if I agree with everything in the full description, but it was a cool test.

PM me for moral guidance.
  • Options
    theitprotheitpro Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personality: INTJ ("The Architect")
    Variant: Assertive
    Role: Analyst