Options

How active are you in your life? -- Do you work out or train?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I come from a background were people are very active, doing manual labor or trades that keep you very active, my father is an active outdoors-man and myself used to run track in HS and played sports. Now I still run on weekends about 5 miles and do weightlifting 3 times a week. I noticed in my 10 years that I've been in IT that a lot of IT people are not very active or healthy, they just not concerned with health issues, they give me the impression of being re-active to their health problems instead of proactive.
So this is my question, do you guys go to the gym to train or work out or do you rather exercise only your brain by studying for certs?

Comments

• Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    I go gym every lunch time for 45min four times a week, can't commit going after work but found shorter and more intensive workout is best for me. Also means I'm not sitting on my 4$$ all day :D I do understand what you mean though, a lot of people where I work make up excuses not to exercise and cover up with their healthy "diet". You should treat all your body parts equal not just brain ;)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I work out about 6 days a week. Also, walk a mile with the dogs before I go to work in the morning. If I don't hit the gym at lunch, I go for a 2 mile walk around the base. If I get home early enough, before I make dinner for hubby and son I either hit the gym downstairs or row.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work out every week 3-4 times in the gym and try and run on the weekend and i used to play football/soccer every other wednesday, plus they say excercise is good for the brain.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Last year I was very active, typically running 3 to 5 miles a day (8 miles was my max), but a case of planters foot put a stop to that. Getting ready to get back in gear soon though. Otherwise, I wasn't typically very active before last year though I need to be.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I walk on the pier everyday on my lunch break. I try to go jogging every other night.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to work out everyday (lift/run) and be in, not trying to brag, but pretty damn good shape. But after messing my back up a few times (to the point I couldn't lift for a couple months at a time) and having a kid recently has been taking it's toll. Right now it seems I only workout on the weekends... icon_sad.gif

Which is sad since I put a couple grand into workout equipment for my little gym in my basement. I got no excuse right now!
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I've always been pretty slender and could always run for a while. I don't lift much as I don't care about being big. Have you seen the people in D.C.? Everywhere you go there are people exercising.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in a similar situation which was real active in previous career as a mechanic. I was able to not keep a tight diet and maintain my weight. Once I started to work in IT sitting all day without really exercising had me put on 30 lbs in a 2 year period. My blood pressure went up I felt like crap all the time. I'm back in the gym 6x times a week 5:30am - 7:10am. I knocked those 30 off and will maintain this schedule. If you are not a naturally skinny person those extra lbs can catch up to you if you are not careful.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I mean the crowd stereotyped with IT isn't generally one to work out you know. I lift weights and play soccer and eat reasonably well though but I mean it's hard to fault someone for not doing it when also studying. Going to work 8-5 and then working out and studying after literally fills 100% of the day. Makes the week go by faster though I feel like and I don't study on weekends and lift early in the morning come Saturday and Sunday, so I'm still a weekend warrior + Friday night. Just was live at the Belmont for the Triple Crown after all icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I used to do half-irons when I was in the military and I wrestled from elementary to college. Now here I am with a sedentary job and I have become a little butterball. For a while now, I have been doing P90x3 and have been watching what I eat. It's working but slowly. I notice a massive difference in cognitive function, aggression, drive, and persuasion when I workout. Plus fit people get paid more, live longer, and are more socially accepted.

My goal is to be 170lbs 8%bf before my 34th Birthday next year. Only 80lbs of butterball turkey to go!

I have started a strict program of waking at 4am, reading my bible, writing in the blog, working out, and then listening to motivational audio each morning. So far it has been working the key is consistency.
  • Options
    @Philz I know you are doing your p90x workout but after the first round I highly recommend you try shortcut to shred thats on bodybuilding.com it helped me drop 18lbs in 6 weeks. For others depending on there starting point dropped between 70lb - 15lbs doing that program.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a home gym but when things get tough work wise I just can't be bothered anymore.

I used to be in great shape when I was away at University a couple of years ago
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that one of my friends I grew up with is a personal trainer so that helps quite a bit. He can help me get off my butt lol.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I get about two hours a day to exercise in my job. I arranged a lunch soccer league on base and pretty much play everyday. It is the only thing I love to do for exercise and keeps me fit.
  • Options
    I notice that some IT jobs are pushing a healthy lifestyle. I see mentioned in the perk package included gym membership and/or onsite yoga classes depending on the place.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I notice that some IT jobs are pushing a healthy lifestyle. I see mentioned in the perk package included gym membership and/or onsite yoga classes depending on the place.

That's true. Our building just built a workout facility and it's free for all tenants. And the part I like is that there's hardly anyone in there when I go. No distractions.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Before the start of this year I was 360 pounds and growing like the couch potato I was. I have been working at it since January and I started going to a boot camp the beginning of March.

I am down to 330lbs, but I have also put on almost 25 pounds of muscle as well. I have dropped almost 10 pants size and from a tight 3x to a more than comfy 2xlt.

In my experience its been about a 50/50 mix. It just depends on the person.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I cycle a round trip commute of 20Km and then try do another 75-150Km over my 3 days off during the spring/summer/autumn. Only started cycling regularly about a year ago but really enjoying it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I play hockey 2-3 times a week and try to run at least twice a week. I want to do more lifting... but I just can't get motivated.
  • Options
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Before the start of this year I was 360 pounds and growing like the couch potato I was. I have been working at it since January and I started going to a boot camp the beginning of March.

I am down to 330lbs, but I have also put on almost 25 pounds of muscle as well. I have dropped almost 10 pants size and from a tight 3x to a more than comfy 2xlt.

Thats great man! Keep it up remember its a marathon not a sprint. I started in January at 284lb and I know it was real tough working out and there were moments I wanted to give up plenty of times but I kept at it and now currently at 238. So never give up bud, I know first hand its tough just keep pushing.
  • Options
    Great job Shdwmage and dmarcisco! Don't worry what others are doing, just go at your own pace and you'll do fine.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually walk everywhere for errands, and have a standing desk. Other then that just yoga once a week and lift on Saturday.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much sleep do you usually get a night?
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start jogging again, have a new doberman coming on Saturday (This weekend). Look forward to jogging with him 3 - 4 times a week. I usually run around 3 miles it keeps me sharp and keeps the lbs down.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I'm around 100 lbs overweight (yep another person pretty much).
    Put on most of it on my college years and early work years.
    Did Judo and MMA for most of my school years and some early college, then became sedentary, ate crap @ college.
    Got a GSD recently and I'm walking around 1 hr a day and when I got hired @ my current job recently my present for myself was a hybrid bike. Doing a couple of miles every weekend.
    Hopefully that will mean something, at least I sleep much better now.
    I'm 28, I'm 310, would like to be at least 250 by my 30's.
    meh
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    have a new doberman coming on Saturday (This weekend).

Nice! icon_cheers.gif Thats always exciting
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a reduction in pay about a year and half ago, which made me implement some cost saving measures. I cut going out to eat for lunch and replaced it with going to the gym. Luckily I work on an Army Base and the gym is a mile away and free. Now my salary is back to previous standards but I am so used to going to the gym, so only go out with the wife on Fridays..
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    byron66 wrote: »
    How much sleep do you usually get a night?

6 to 8 hours normally.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I admit the past 6 months I've spent more time at the gym than I have on my studies and probably hence why I still haven't sat my CCENT. But I went from 27.6 BFI in August 2014 to now just a little over 10.2 BFI but I went from a weight of 175.5 lbs to now weighing 218 lbs. I'm 6'0 exactly.

I've also changed my diet from process foods including fast food to clean-n-lean with low carbs but high protein and veggies/fruit/nuts/poultry. I eat normally 15lbs of beef, chicken, fish a week.

I do find me working out make me more positive, energetic, I can remember more stuff and I can focus more at studying, hence why it's official I take my CCENT on the 29th. Been listening to Lazaro Diaz's video on Udemy to keep my skills sharp. I mean I did just get done with a network upgrade from a flat 24 to a complex 7 vLAN network with ACL's and port-security which I'm sure will help on the exam.

But back to the OP, I love working out and getting stronger. My goal is 8% BFI @ 220~ lbs. I want to be a sleeper IT nerd, people won't expect me to have a 12 pack. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    My goal is 8% BFI @ 220~ lbs. I want to be a sleeper IT nerd, people won't expect me to have a 12 pack. icon_wink.gif

That would be alot of muscle! I'm shooting for a like 195-200 and a low BFI and I'm 6'2.