CEH v8 FAILED EXAM - Was version 9 - How to Resolve

Comments

• supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not think its necessary to wait for that. If new material is out, that is an indicator of things have changed in the exam. We cannot be blind to the fact that its happening. When you need to put out new material (i.e. ECC CEHv9 material just released) it says that the exam and anything else has changed enough to require it.

I do not know what else to say about this to show that it was a mistake of ECC side of the house.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is an interesting video. Seems to be aimed at instructors for teaching v9 and seems to be official EC-Council material. https://youtu.be/Ew-JhQdLmwc?t=3085 (~51:20 into the video) "If you wanna compare 8 and 9 [there is] no comparison." Strange considering there ~is no version number~.
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    This is an interesting video. Seems to be aimed at instructors for teaching v9 and seems to be official EC-Council material. https://youtu.be/Ew-JhQdLmwc?t=3085 (~51:20 into the video) "If you wanna compare 8 and 9 [there is] no comparison." Strange considering there ~is no version number~.

Like I said, new material out means enough things have changed. I have not been too vocal on this but I have realized that its the reality of this situation. ECC should have owned up to this mistake instead of stating nothing changed. Pearson Vue said they got an update and dropped the previous exam, new material is out, training for trainers is updated... the writing is on the wall of change but nope still holding on to the fact it never changed.
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    @tomatotux, when you signed up for the CEH, was it 312-50v8 or 312-50? I am going back and forth with them right now because they informed me I had to cancel my v8 and reschedule for the one without a version number. My voucher will not allow me to register for the new exam. When do you plan to schedule the exam?

I recently had to do the same. Headache but it got done. I scheduled my attempt for January

After reading this thread, I think I want a refund on my voucher.....
    cowill wrote: »
    I recently had to do the same. Headache but it got done. I scheduled my attempt for January

After reading this thread, I think I want a refund on my voucher.....

If you have the time to re-study go for it. I should have done some research before taking it since I didn't consider a change in content since I saw in November CEHv9 material was coming I didn't think it would have been before.

Study the new material and see what happens.
  • kiamkiam Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TK1799_st wrote: »
    As far OSCP - at least OFF SEC has released Metasploit for free - train, learn, and then jump on the paid labs -- and in a certain amount of time - earn the certification when taking the 24 Hacking Live Hacking exam...
    Wow thanks for sharing about this. Looks amazing.
    Link for those interested:
    https://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/
  • WallaceTechWallaceTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the V8 exam but it really felt like i was taking an exam for a different subject. I am pretty pissed right now about it to be honest.
    I took the V8 exam but it really felt like i was taking an exam for a different subject. I am pretty pissed right now about it to be honest.

You did not take the v8 version, you took the non-version version of the test. You probably had a voucher for the v8 and took it recently but as of October 15th, there is different version (even though EC-Council says there isn't a new version just dropped the version number) out there.

You can appeal or take file a complaint. You may get a discount and go back at it again with the new published material but its up to you.
    Thanks mate. So i used Firebrand on their UK iVoucher it says used exam 312-50 V8. On my score card it says Exam code 312-50. I think i am going to file a complaint especially as the exam is £300+ The exam had nothing, of the course ware, it has tools and apps i had never heard of. I am mega pissed about it really.
    Just sent an email off to them. I don't hold much luck with getting this resolved. What a waste of my time and money.
    Thanks mate. So i used Firebrand on their UK iVoucher it says used exam 312-50 V8. On my score card it says Exam code 312-50. I think i am going to file a complaint especially as the exam is £300+ The exam had nothing, of the course ware, it has tools and apps i had never heard of. I am mega pissed about it really.

Sorry to hear that, its been the on-going conversation. So far, EC-Council is only offering a discount since they do not see anything wrong with what happened. I hope with enough people complaining they might come to their senses.
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just sent an email off to them. I don't hold much luck with getting this resolved. What a waste of my time and money.
    You are not likely to receive any different response than what has already been provided. The exam was updated. The last exam was released in 2013. The expectation is that you have more recent knowledge than that and can answer questions related to more recent events/topics/technologies.
    BillV_ wrote: »
    You are not likely to receive any different response than what has already been provided. The exam was updated. The last exam was released in 2013. The expectation is that you have more recent knowledge than that and can answer questions related to more recent events/topics/technologies.

I know what your saying mate. But the courseware does not give you the information to sit the exam. As far as i am concerned i could have been taking any exam as it was not for the course that i was learning on all week. Its not right.
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know what your saying mate. But the courseware does not give you the information to sit the exam. As far as i am concerned i could have been taking any exam as it was not for the course that i was learning on all week. Its not right.
    What did you use to study? The ECC CEHv8 courseware? Did you take a class too? Or just read the official course books? This has been reviewed very closely and extensively, and there is enough information in the v8 courseware to pass the current exam.
    I did a V8 course and have the EC Council courseware.
    I did a V8 course and have the EC Council courseware.

It's the same thing everyone has been saying. Unfortunately ECC and the Scheme Committee have reviewed the exam and state that there is enough material from v8 to pass the current exam. If you search through here long enough you will see that is not the case. There are a lot of people on here who can care less for ECC after what happened recently.

It's a sad state that it's been treated this way but even BillV says to wait until the test and material catch each other up. That's a bad sign.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    BillV_ wrote: »
    What did you use to study? The ECC CEHv8 courseware? Did you take a class too? Or just read the official course books? This has been reviewed very closely and extensively, and there is enough information in the v8 courseware to pass the current exam.

EC quickly switched the exams out with very little notice. People who signed up for the Official CEH v8 videos, CEH v8 books, CEH labs were not given updated learning material after version 9 came out. I am still trying to get my labs and material updated. These customers were not allowed to take a exam specifically aligned to CEH V8 material. Regardless of what is said the student/customer loses value and information necessary to pass the V9 exam.

EC should compensate for the poor handling of the CEH situation.
    EC quickly switched the exams out with very little notice. People who signed up for the Official CEH v8 videos, CEH v8 books, CEH labs were not given updated learning material after version 9 came out. I am still trying to get my labs and material updated. These customers were not allowed to take a exam specifically aligned to CEH V8 material. Regardless of what is said the student/customer loses value and information necessary to pass the V9 exam.

EC should compensate for the poor handling of the CEH situation.

The exam changed with no notice. But it was reviewed to show that there was enough v8 material to pass it. The response is try harder and study more so you can pass.

ECC is not budging on their decision to not compensate other than a discount. I wish I would have waited and not lose my money.
    Same here. I wish had waited to take the exam as well. I would like EC to pay for the retake once i have done the V9 contents. A discount will help but still rubbish
    Same here. I wish had waited to take the exam as well. I would like EC to pay for the retake once i have done the V9 contents. A discount will help but still rubbish

Trust me I hear you. It's been a crazy month in this forum about this subject.
    Well EC came back to me and their responce is below. Not great really. I have as others have been offered a reduced exam fee and also a proctored remote exam.

Reponce below
    ----
    Hello Craig,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, This feedback has been sent to me so i can assist you and explain the exam format.

We do not have multiple versions of this specific test. The The CEH test is a single exam that follows the blueprint listed at https://cert.eccouncil.org/images/doc/CEH-Exam-Blueprint-v2.0.pdf, irrespective of the courseware/ study material you choose to prepare for the test or attempt the exam via a self-study. It's one standard exam for all who wish to earn the CEH title.

Our courseware/ study material is a guideline that equips you with concepts, tools and techniques of ethical hacking and security assessments, and can help you prepare for the exam.

However our test are build to test if one actually has the necessary skills and knowledge of a CEH on the job, thus the test follows the Job task requirements and measures what it's suppose to measure. Unfortunately it would be impossible for a test to only cover a specific study material. The application of knowledge and current updates has to be a part of a good test form. We are trying hard to create fair and better exams.

Just so you understand how the exams are created please check the steps listed at
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/exam-development-procedure-and-item-challenge.html

Our courseware are updated as per our Exam but it is definitely not the other way around., Also the content was contributed by SME's who are CEHs themselves, our exams are always Beta tested with good scores before they go live.

I can confirm that the test has an extremely healthy passing ratio, These are students who have studied via he Cehv8 courseware, as well as those who did a self-study have passed the exam successfully.

If you are interested in reattempting this test, do confirm and we will be happy to assist you with a discounted retake exam voucher.

Thank you
    Well EC came back to me and their responce is below. Not great really. I have as others have been offered a reduced exam fee and also a proctored remote exam.

Reponce below
    ----
    Hello Craig,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, This feedback has been sent to me so i can assist you and explain the exam format.

We do not have multiple versions of this specific test. The The CEH test is a single exam that follows the blueprint listed at https://cert.eccouncil.org/images/doc/CEH-Exam-Blueprint-v2.0.pdf, irrespective of the courseware/ study material you choose to prepare for the test or attempt the exam via a self-study. It's one standard exam for all who wish to earn the CEH title.

Our courseware/ study material is a guideline that equips you with concepts, tools and techniques of ethical hacking and security assessments, and can help you prepare for the exam.

However our test are build to test if one actually has the necessary skills and knowledge of a CEH on the job, thus the test follows the Job task requirements and measures what it's suppose to measure. Unfortunately it would be impossible for a test to only cover a specific study material. The application of knowledge and current updates has to be a part of a good test form. We are trying hard to create fair and better exams.

Just so you understand how the exams are created please check the steps listed at
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/exam-development-procedure-and-item-challenge.html

Our courseware are updated as per our Exam but it is definitely not the other way around., Also the content was contributed by SME's who are CEHs themselves, our exams are always Beta tested with good scores before they go live.

I can confirm that the test has an extremely healthy passing ratio, These are students who have studied via he Cehv8 courseware, as well as those who did a self-study have passed the exam successfully.

If you are interested in reattempting this test, do confirm and we will be happy to assist you with a discounted retake exam voucher.

Thank you

Yes, that is the response they are sticking with this round. They are assuming you are asking about multiple versions of the test, which you are not. You are asking if the exam has changed. Then you are getting the response is getting that it is possible to pass it and its not its their fault.

At this point they may offer you a discount, but its not going to be a refund.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone posted the differences between v8 and v9? I took the v8 class but had a v7 book. I stopped reading the book because it was pretty much the same.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□

At this point they may offer you a discount, but its not going to be a refund.

Agreed, at this point, I'd take the discounted voucher and study for the extra topics that are on the new exam, you have 1 year from the time you get the voucher. Better than nothing? Doesn't seem like they are going to give a free voucher. I wouldn't look at it as giving up, just channeling your energy positively and not giving up on having the chance to pass.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    Has anyone posted the differences between v8 and v9? I took the v8 class but had a v7 book. I stopped reading the book because it was pretty much the same.

I also read the v7 book took the v8 class then ended up skimming the v8 book because it was pretty much the same as the v7 book.

v8 Course Modules:
    1. Introduction to Ethical Hacking
    2. Footprinting and Reconnaissance
    3. Scanning Networks
    4. Enumeration
    5. System Hacking
    6. Trojans and Backdoors
    7. Viruses and Worms
    8. Sniffing
    9. Social Engineering
    10. Denial of Service
    11. Session Hijacking
    12. Hacking Webservers
    13. Hacking Web Applications
    14. SQL Injection
    15. Hacking Wireless Networks
    16. Hacking Mobile Platforms
    17. Evading IDS, Firewalls and Honeypots
    18. Buffer Overflows
    19. Cryptography
    20. Penetration Testing

https://www.eccouncil.org/portals/0/Images/CEH-brochure.pdf

v9 Course Modules:
    1. Introduction to Ethical Hacking
    2. Footprinting and Reconnaissance
    3. Scanning Networks
    4. Enumeration
    5. System Hacking
    6. Malware Threats
    7. Evading IDS, Firewalls and Honeypots
    8. Sniffng
    9. Social Engineering
    10. Denial of Service
    11. Session Hijacking
    12. Hacking Web servers
    13. Hacking Web Applications
    14. SQL Injection
    15. Hacking Wireless Networks
    16. Hacking Mobile Platforms
    17. Cloud Computing
    18. Cryptography

https://www.eccouncil.org/Portals/0/doc/cehv9-brochure.pdf

The blue print has stayed the same which is what EC Council says is followed for the exam.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So all thats changed is a bit of cloud computing, Assurance/governance stuff added and the latest and greatest viruses/malware ?

Anyone know when the books will be out like the AIO and sybex books cant see anything on the net
  • saraffsaraff Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I gutted this morning. I did this exam on my boot camp on july 2015 and failed. so I sit the exam this morning and look like I was doing a deferent exam this time and failed again.

I know how the exam question and the formats now its completely changed and don't know what to do.

I have send the email to the manager and VP. lets see what they come up with.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you elaborate - Was it radically changed from the stuff you studied and revised for?
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So all thats changed is a bit of cloud computing, Assurance/governance stuff added and the latest and greatest viruses/malware ?

Anyone know when the books will be out like the AIO and sybex books cant see anything on the net

The latest Matt Walker book does not have a version number on it
    http://www.amazon.ca/Certified-Ethical-Hacker-Bundle-Second/dp/0071835571/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447690637&sr=8-2&keywords=ceh
    ^Oct 9 2014

I found these books on amazon:

The Penetration Tester's Handbook: The First Steps to CEH Certification Paperback – Oct 22 2016
    ^Same publisher as the Matt Walker books (McGraw-Hill)

Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Secure Network Operating Systems and Infrastructures (Ceh)Mar 4 2016
    by Ec-Council

The publishers seemed to know to stay away from versioning their books.
  • saraffsaraff Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get the same email from Cherlynn ECC as posted before.

on the

exam format on v8 was had the 7 section and you have to finish each section to move to next section but the new one all 125 question in one

I couldn't get any Virus/Worm question look like they have taken out those

Question are so deep even on NMAP ( I got some switch that I not even see nmap help page on kali and I have google it and not been able to find that after the exam)

up to date question on they ask about a new malware (I think) found on Sep 2015 or 2014 I am not sure which year and I haven't had the Malware name before and all 4 answers are new names

The ask about a company in USA has been attacked via WiFi on 2007 and ask which wifi attack they use.

in this exam less section but question are so deep and you need to know the latest knowledge about hacking happening in the world and question are confused me as well.