Options

WGU Starting 1 Jan 2016; BS:IT:Security Focus

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just finished my intake interview. From lurking in the previous threads of people who've gone here, there wasn't really anything important covered that I wasn't already aware of, so it was mostly just a formality.

From my certifications I got 29 credits knocked off, so 95 remaining. I'm not sure if I can knock that out in 2 terms, but we'll see.

My wife also signed up (for another focus). She got a ridiculous number knocked off from previous schooling and her certifications, so only has something like 43 remaining.

I had been kicking around getting back on the CCIE horse (and even posted it in the '2016 certification goals' thread) vs doing this, and it feels kindof weird keeping that on the back burner (I had put it on hold due to losing my job back in September and dealing with the job hunt and move and all that), but this has a few things going for it that the *IE doesn't. Namely the steady visible progress as courses are completed and your 'remaining CEUs" goes down, that I'm at the point where not having a degree is starting to hurt me more often, and that I'm a big chicken regarding feeling ready enough to plunk down the costs for a lab attempt.

I'll try to keep this updated regarding progress and whatnot.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard and good luck! I've done 35 CUs my first semester and could have done more but I had moments of laziness. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to WGU!!

Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted on your progress icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    ksijur wrote: »
    Welcome aboard and good luck! I've done 35 CUs my first semester and could have done more but I had moments of laziness. Keep us posted!

:P
    You realize this makes you an over achiever right

I'm two months in and have done only 12
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Good luck, man. Also, dont feel you have to burn through it too fast because I realized that by doing that I wasnt really learning and retaining the material well. I actually want to come out with a degree and some actual knowledge I can apply. Dont hesitate to PM me when you get to Java programming and SQL programming as I spent countless hours on these classes (hardest for me).
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I am also (tentatively) starting the BSIT - Security on 01-Jan-2016 with 53 credits already done. I am just waiting on a final admissions decision.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club....I have done 29 CUs so far and my 1st term ends mid Feb. I transferred in quite a few, but below is what I have left....

C176 - 1 to 2 Week Term 1(Appears to be boring material and will be a boring read/study)
    C484 - 1 Week Term 1 (Appears to be common sense plus with experience, shouldn't be too bad, maybe terminology)
    C483 - 1 Week Term 1(Appears to be common sense plus with experience, shouldn't be too bad, maybe terminology)
    C179 - 1 Week Term 1(I haven't looked at this course yet)
    C168 - 1 Week Term 2(Already done with 1 PA and working on the second one, appears to be lots of terminology and memorization)
    C173 - 2 to 3 Weeks Term 2(I'm going to hate this class)
    C169 - 2 to 3 Weeks Term 2(I'm going to hate this class)
    C175 - 2 to 3 Weeks Term 2(I'm going to hate this class)
    C170 - 2 to 3 Weeks Term 2(I'm going to hate this class)
    C376 - 2 Weeks Term 1(Shouldn't be too bad but will need to learn the process)
    C435 - 1 Month Term 2 or 3(To be safe)
    C436 - 1 Month Term 2 or 3(To be safe)
  • Options
    Wow; I had to jump to page 3 to find my thread. This is a fast-moving section of the forums!Orientation is available starting today. I was told it takes roughly 6 hours. I'm trying to do what I can during work since it's EXTREMELY slow currently (the government LITERALLY bid out this contract without actually having the work available... possibly for several months). The difficulty is that I'm doing this via my personal laptop tethered and since I've hit my data soft cap for the month, I'm limited to dial-up speed. Not much info to post yet, but I see a lot of my portal has been filled out so the information is there and I can start posting thoughts if. I. ever. get. pages. to. load. icon_rolleyes.gif

• Options
    I should probably post a list of my classes:
    Introduction to IT (C182)
    Intermediate Algebra (C463)
    Elements of Effective Communication (C132)
    English Composition I (C455)
    English Composition II (C456)
    IT Foundations (C393)
    IT Applications (C394)
    Critical Thinking and Logic (C16[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]
    College Algebra (C27[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]
    Introduction to Geography (C255)
    Introduction to Humanities (C100)
    Integrated Natural Science (C451)
    Introduction to Probability and Statistics (C459)
    Introduction to Physics (C164)
    Scripting and Programming - Foundations (C173)
    Scripting and Programming - Applications (C169)
    Data Management - Foundations (C175)
    Data Management - Applications (C170)
    Operating Systems I (C697)
    Operating Systems II (C69[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership (C484)
    Web Development Fundamentals (C376)
    Principles of Management (C483)
    Business of IT - Project Management (C176)
    Business of IT - Applications (C179)
    Technical Writing (C435)
    Capstone (C436)

I can't easily pull up class specifics currently (IE if class X = certification Y or specifically what each class covers - Java, SQL, etc) so I'm going to just make comments based on the class descriptions and a few assumptions.

All the "intro" classes bum me out a bit. I've managed to get where I am in my career without having to do the CompTIA route (except security+ for contract requirements) and from what I've read in the other threads, it's going to be a bit of a slog.

I'm not too worried about my 3 math classes either; I "get" math really easily so I'm hoping/expecting a quick review/pre-assessment and 2 will be knocked out. I haven't taken statistics classes before so I might take some time enjoying that one, but still try to knock it out quickly.

Physics should be similar since it's so math-based.

Geography/Humanities *sigh* Not my strong areas. Unsure about Natural Science.

I'm not too worried about the programming classes; in my life I've worked with a lot of languages (basic, cobol, pascal, C) (just don't ask me to write anything in any of them any more). I enjoy programming as a hobby, but could never make a career out of it.

Operating Systems I/II: I don't remember if the Security specialization had any microsoft classes or if these would be linux ones. If linux I shouldn't have too much trouble as I've used linux in a personal capacity since the mid 90's. I'm sure there are gaps since I pick up what I need as I need it there. If microsoft it'll be a bit harder cause I've heard what MS exams are like....

After that I get less certain what the classes may be. Web Development? Is that html5? php? I may like that or may not.

The 2 management classes might be interesting - I think one of them gives Project+ which might be a nice one to have (but no PMP, am I right fellas?).

Then the technical writing and Capstone. Well, I have no opinion on those at this point since they're so far out.

I probably should have waited until I was at home so I could review each class in more detail before making my notes here. Hopefully I wasn't too far off on them though.

• Options
    Went ahead and took the pre-assessment for C182.

OH. MY. GOD. It's like they thought "you know, IT people are smart enough that if we don't make both the questions and answers really vague and open to interpretation, none of them would have to take this class!". So they did.

Got a 75% still though, so I think I'm pretty well off, only needing a skim of the materials. I might poke at a few other pre-assessments of classes I think I might just be able to take cold (looking at you, Intermediate Algebra) *cough* 94% *cough*

• Options
    Working on C132 (Elements of Effective Communication) during "work" today. I'm glad the reading material loads cause IT'S SO BORING HERE. It'd be cool if I can get the 5 chapters read this week to try getting another 3-CEU course ready for completion. I need to go to the store though and pick up some notebooks for note taking though.

I find it cool (and a little amusing) how much progress you can make towards completing classes before the classes even begin. If I'm able to keep my timetable of finishing this class by the end of the week that only leaves 1 class remaining in the default first term's outline (C455 English Composition I). Not that I'm planning to accept having such a light schedule.

I got a plethora of emails today as well regarding completing the orientation (which I did over the weekend), so it looks like I just have to wait for my mentor call and Jan 1 to roll around.

I wonder if one of the English Comp classes will let me break my habit of over-using commas.

• Options
    I just got my student mentor assigned and our initial call is set for this afternoon. I guess being able to reply immediately let me have first pick!

• Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fellow Night Owls unite! Congrats on getting in and starting - I've loved my experience so far and hope you the same. Happy holidays!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    I wish! I miss being a night owl, but 5AM rolls around far too early. I still enjoy Fridays and Saturdays when I can stay up until the wee hours though.

On another note, has anyone else who's gone through the C132 materials been thrown off by some of the sentence structure? Twice so far in 3 chapters there's been a sentence that's completely interrupted my study mojo. It feels grammatically wrong, but I'd think the nature of the material would preclude that type of errors. I end up getting stuck, repeating the sentence over and over trying to make its grammar work. OH GOD I'M A ROBOT AREN'T I?
    Along with having a solid grasp of the topic on which you are asked to speak can help you in such instances, five additional guidelines can help you avoid fumbling for words or rambling:

• Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Night Owls is referring to the WGU mascot, I believe.
  • Options
    Well color me embarassed then!

Also a second time for realizing this morning that I've been going over the material for C132 out of order (I was doing top-down but that has you prepare for your presentation by doing chapters 11-15, with Chapters 1-10 listed further down the study plan). I was excited having 3 of the 5 chapters for the course read already!!!

• Options
    I've been meaning to ask about planning your schedule. Since it wants you to Start & End dates for each class I was going through, estimating 2 weeks per class but after moving the 7th class up to term 1 I started to feel like I was being a little presumptuous. I'm going to assume your mentor can shift classes from later terms up so you can keep rolling, but what have people done regarding the "expected dates"? Just make up some meaningless dates that you then blow out of the water?

• Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think they're most interested in ensuring that you meet Ontime-Progress (12 CEUs) for each term. From what I've heard, they just pull in more classes once you've finished the initial planned courses.

My strategy is going to be under-promising just picking some arbritrary start and end dates that give me plenty of time to complete and then to over-delivering by finishing courses as quickly as I can.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    Sign up for 3 at the start of your semester. Once you add a course you have to complete it or you get dinged for On-Time Progress. All of your coursework is available for any classes in your degree path. After you complete your first 3 classes , determine what class you will take next, complete all coursework/reading and any tasks required. Once you are ready to complete the class contact your mentor and have them add the class, then once it's added submit your paperwork and then take your pre-assessment to unlock the final. Also , ask your mentor the rules about cert taking/scoring/grading and final assignment submission on the last month of the term as there are specific rules regarding the last days to add a class/request a cert/take a cert/ submit your scores which they have put in place to avoid on-time progress issues from arising.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, good information to have!

My wife had a good idea; rather than focusing on one class at a time, she's working on 2 or 3 classes, so that when she starts getting burned out on one, she can switch to something that works the mind differently (like Comp II and Statistics). Has anyone else done something similar or are you all just focusing on one to get it completed quicker? I must say it's sounding like a good strategy since Foundations of Communication is some pretty dry stuff...

• Options
    I would recommend to work on classes in groups if they are naturally grouped together. For instance I worked the 2 A+ classes and the 2 Linux+ classes at the same time so I could sit the test and earn the cert at the same time.
  • Options
    That's a good call, and I think I will do that for my courses that do that (A+ and Linux+ are the only two I have like that I think though). I was referring though to pairing a 'soft' class with a 'hard' (not in difficulty) class, so (for example), I could pair Comp II with College Algebra.

I just reached the "I can't take any more" for Intro to Communications and took the pre-assessment. Passing was 65% and I got an 81%. I'll still go through the other 5 chapters I hadn't yet read but I think I'll pick up the pace quite a bit, since I did pretty well on most of those chapters' questions still.

I also have to start preparing for the presentation for its Performance Assessment, but I think I'll also either start the Performance Assessment for Comp I as well, or start the IT foundations course (since it only has an Objective Assessment).

• Options
    Finished my ... enrollment call? Since I had already poked around the website quite a bit it was fairly quick (which is good since I thought the call was supposed to be at 3:30 but it was actually at 3:15 and she had another scheduled for 4:00). My schedule is approved now (5-6 weeks per course even though I've already passed the objective pre-assessment for 3 of the 4 courses!)

It sounds like the next week will be spent working on English Comp I (C455) as she recommended that be done before Elements of Effective Communications (C132). I didn't have the heart to tell her I'd already read 9 of the 15 chapters of C132 :D

• Options
    OK! Time to start writing my first essay. Here's what I have so far:

What do you think? (Yeah... I won't say writing is a weak skill for me: just coming up with what to write ABOUT)

• Options
    I ended up coming up with something and have written up my first draft; letting it sit for a day so I can have a fresh perspective when I look back through it before submitting it. A few questions if anyone knows (and sorry if this information is available; I'm tethered again so don't want to waste any bandwidth I don't have to):

1) How many "attempts" do you have available when submitting something to Taskstream? I've read in other threads/sites that it can be kicked back; but I also saw in the rubric that you can just get a low score too; I'd prefer the former but at some point I'd think they just give you a low score in one of the sections.

2) What's the process for taking exams off-site (IE not using the camera they'll eventually send)? Or is it only the certification exams/assessments that you can do that for? I'm sitting on 2 classes that I've requested approval for the final assessment, with a 3rd I'll request once I get approval & take the 2nd pre-assessment, and I don't want to end up juggling too many courses at once: Waiting for the camera for those three, working on Comp I's essays AND starting into the A+ course(s) **Nevermind; I got my email this evening that my camera should be here on Friday, which was the earliest I could have scheduled an off-site exam anyway, so I'll just wait.

• Options
    Well...

I noticed a blurb in the Comp I study plan saying we needed to email our thesis statement to the course mentors so I did so. I can see the merit of their feedback (refocusing the thesis on the literary experience), but it directs the paper in a different direction now, to the point where my supporting points no longer really tie in. I'll have to figure out how to re-hook them into the thesis, or completely scrap it and start over.

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Just dropped in to wish you good luck. Btw what is your wife's focus?
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    Hers is network administration. It lined up most closely with her existing certifications :)

I think after this she's thinking of going up to the MSISA though (as am I)

• Options
    Turned in C455 (Comp1) essay 1 last night to taskstream & it was reviewed while I slept. With a scale of 1-4, most categories checked were a 3 or 4; one was a 2 but it still 'meets requirement'.

Also took the assessment for C182 (Intro to IT) and C463 (Intermediate Algebra) this morning. I was annoyed that despite completing C182 in about 30-40 minutes I still had to wait the entire 3-hour scheduled window before I could schedule the next exam. I suppose that's not something that comes up often enough to make an issue about though.

C182's assessment was a bit more difficult than the pre-assessments, I thought. I actually worried I may not have passed about 2/3 of the way through, but I passed by a fair margin.

C463 was about what I expected (I scored 95% on the pre-assessment cold and 94% on the assessment). I did get another of the STUPID questions where they give a polynomial (say 5x+9) and ask you to solve; then all the answers have pi in them! I'm going to assume this is a topic I've never encountered before since one of those was on both the pre-assessment and the assessment. I'll have to investigate because when I saw that I was like 'WTF?'.

All in all progress has been good. I'll probably schedule the objective assessment for C132 (Elements of Effective Communication) for tomorrow morning, but that will leave me with the 3 remaining Comp 1 essays and the presentation for C132 left in this term which I have to complete before I can start fast-tracking other courses. Blah!

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Keep up the good work.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    Essay 2 for C455 submitted to the course mentors this morning for review. I feel this class is really slowing me down as I try to write REALLY good papers and I work on them one at a time. I could probably move faster if I worked on them in parallel and just tried to be good enough for Taskstream to pass them, but ... I just can't not at least try for perfection on each one! icon_wink.gif

Update: Essay 2 accepted. Good scores too! (3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4).

I'm glad Essays 3 and 4 can be on the same topic. I swear coming up with the topic and shape of the essay is harder than actually writing the darn thing.