Options

How long have you been at your current job and how much longer will you remain?

124»

Comments

• Options
    ilikebikeilikebike Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    8 years now and I'm ready to jump as soon as I'm done with my degree. Great job with great flexibility and great pay considering there's no degree required, but the past few years have made it painfully clear that 1) I am pretty much tapped out on advancement (maybe one more promotion in another 5 years) and 2) Promotions are doled out strictly based on seniority, not merit (my manager has told me as such).

My work is paying 100% of my community college and now WGU degree. As soon as that is earned then I'm bouncing.
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been at my job for 16 months Looking to leave soon. If not, I'll stay for another 8 months. Can't stand the coworkers. They make it dreadful to come to work in the morning.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Fayz wrote: »
    Been at my job for 16 months Looking to leave soon. If not, I'll stay for another 8 months. Can't stand the coworkers. They make it dreadful to come to work in the morning.

Just curious, why would you stay for another 8 months if you can't leave soon?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    And please do say what is wrong with coworkers.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Maybe it's not the co-workers...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    Just curious, why would you stay for another 8 months if you can't leave soon?

I would stay another 8 months to make it an even 2 years at the organization. My Résumé shows that I job hop but it's not my fault for that. The jobs were contract positions but recruiters can't see that.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Level 2 coworker can't do the job right and I always gotta clean up his mess. He has more years of experience, close to 10 and I just have less than 3 yet he can't do simple things like get the IP address of a printer. He is always asking for help and we started the job on the same day. Supervisor is bias and supports him because they are from the same region. What bothers me is that he makes more than me and I'm stuck at Level 1 doing grunt work while he watches YouTube.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You should put that on your CV, i.e., "6mo contract at..." or "performed on short-term contracts at..."
    At the very least emphasized that in your cover letters if you aren't already.

I do distinguish between hoppers and those who worked a series of short-term contracts when considering candidates.
    I would stay another 8 months to make it an even 2 years at the organization. My Résumé shows that I job hop but it's not my fault for that. The jobs were contract positions but recruiters can't see that.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,058 ■■■■■■■■□□

How can you be "job hopping" if you only have 3 years Experience?

Doing the Math: If staying "8 more months" = 2 years @ current employer.
    Then that means you have been there for 1 year 4 months already.

Sounds pretty normal to me :]

However, if the other/earlier part of your Work Experience is, say, "5 different jobs in less than 1.5 years"...
    LOL

Now i think we get it.

But even still, there's an easy ****:
    On your resume, Consolidate all of those earlier jobs into ONE job.
    Call the employer: "Fayz Consulting" (or whatever).
    Position: "Contractor, Self Employed".
    For the Employment Date;
    Start date = your very first job.
    End Date = your last job.

You should still include All the details that you did for those jobs; just group them all under the same employer.

Now, at a glance, your resume looks like you only work at two places.
    Do this should at least get you past the "job-hopper" filter.
  • Options
    Agreed state contract next to the job title.
  • Options
    Agreed state contract next to the job title.

I do state that the position is contract but they ask well what happened? How come it was just 8 months yada yada yada. I try to explain but they don't have the real world experience of the IT field.
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    How can you be "job hopping" if you only have 3 years Experience?

Doing the Math: If staying "8 more months" = 2 years @ current employer.
    Then that means you have been there for 1 year 4 months already.

Sounds pretty normal to me :]

However, if the other/earlier part of your Work Experience is, say, "5 different jobs in less than 1.5 years"...
    LOL

Now i think we get it.

But even still, there's an easy ****:
    On your resume, Consolidate all of those earlier jobs into ONE job.
    Call the employer: "Fayz Consulting" (or whatever).
    Position: "Contractor, Self Employed".
    For the Employment Date;
    Start date = your very first job.
    End Date = your last job.

You should still include All the details that you did for those jobs; just group them all under the same employer.

Now, at a glance, your resume looks like you only work at two places.
    Do this should at least get you past the "job-hopper" filter.

The previous experiences were part time IT positions. Only one of them was a full time position but it was a 1 month project. I got asked before whether it was part time or full time and I told them part time and they have my experience. Example 6 months part time would be 3 months full time. Current job is full time.
  • Options
    I do state that the position is contract but they ask well what happened? How come it was just 8 months yada yada yada. I try to explain but they don't have the real world experience of the IT field.

That's odd.

I list all my short termed contracts as - contract and never get questioned. It's the nature of IT work........ Only thing that I can think of, you are applying to entry level job and they are looking for a reason NOT to hire you due to the amount of interviewees. Then I could seem them picking apart your resume for no good reason.

When you gain technical skills that are sought after they won't pull this crap. In other words supply and demand.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I graduated and entered tech four years ago. I job hopped 5 times since then (6 jobs), not counting a couple of unpaid internships. I've bumped salary 110% during the jumps. I'm at a point where I feel I need to sit still in one place for 2-3 years and I'm going to do so. Interesting work, company treats me well, paid training, good work environment, opinion respected. Echo.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    edwilliamskyedwilliamsky Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    4 years. Hopefully not much longer. Joined the company when it was poised for growth - that didn't pan out, am in misery on a daily basis now.