I'm done with technical support...

Whats up guys,

Technical phone support sucks. It just does. Im saying this right now, its the crap hole of a position no matter how good the company might be. Its a underpaid overworked position with empty promises and no real room to move up within the company.

I hate this job, im searching and coming up short. Maybe im venting, but im sure im not the only one here?

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I feel your pain. I think everyone that moved up once went through your pain. Youve got 2 choices. Complain or do something about it. I recommend you do something about it. Thats what I did. Like or not, you will deal with BS in any job. Its all about the money. I dont complain due to how much money they pay me. icon_lol.gif

Go get your CCIE and make that $$$$$$ plus bonus.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I hear your pain but no-body likes a whiner.

Do something about it and talk about your aspirations, your plan then your progress and you will find much more positivity in life and peoples attitudes towards you will change too.

What is your realistically achievable position? How do you plan to get ready to reach it? These are things to motivate and invigorate.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Couple of questions. How long have you been there for? And what have you done to progress yourself in that time?

I've been on help desk. But spent the time to study, gain certs, and then moved on. On the other hand I saw loads of people with dreams and aspirations who did nothing about it.

If you've been there for longer than a year and have gained no certifications in that time then frankly its your own fault and you need to sort yourself out.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    I do not mean to sound like a complainer with empty intent. I do apologize.
    I started at the company with a Network+, and have since got a CCNA, CCNP, and further studying Python and Linux. I am now going to school for a associates in computer science then to bachelors in security (but it might be a little while). During my time at this company my dad had cancer and passed, ad I still got the ccnp during this time. Maybe it took me too long, but life had its curve balls while I studied as im sure it does to all of us.

As asked, I want to get into security (always have). My current job gives me some level of exposure to security practices and tools etc. But i do believe I may need more in the competitive market I am in (california).

I guess my frustration spawns from a company that dosnt de-bug their firmware adequately before release, being the middle man to take the heat for those mistakes, and on top of that needing to troubleshoot the entire network with someone that is less then suited to even be on the phone. seriously its odd for me to get someone that knows the network topology they are working on. Let alone some of them dont know what "ping" is, and they are building a network worth thousands. It boggles my mind. I want out. I want out now. What advice could you provide if any to help with this change as sooner then later? Im applying at places been sending my resume out. Got some calls had some phone interviews, no takers yet
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    You've gained ccnp and your still on helpdesk? Serious man gtfo and progress!
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Death always has a way of putting things in perspective.

If you want a change... i say Go for it.

What kind of jobs are you applying for?

If you have a CCNP, but no real-world NP level experience... that may be the problem.

Consider applying for a non-senior level Net Engineer positions (until you get more hands-on exp).
    Hell, you may even want to pull the CCNP off your resume if you apply for them (depends on the description of the job). sometimes, the CCNP can work against you for the lower gigs.

As for Security... what is that?
    Seriously, what kind of "day to day" things do you imagine a Security job would have you doing?

You can be Offensive (penetration stuff)... or Defensive (firewalls)... Or you can be reading logs all day.

So, figure out "what" you think you want to do in Security.

Then plan from there.

my 2 cents
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats the same question that I have!
    Start looking for new challenges!
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    You've gained ccnp and your still on helpdesk? Serious man gtfo and progress!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many jobs did you apply for this week?

Maybe hiding the CCNP just for now is a good idea. Pivot to some role above help desk for a few months, then put the CCNP back on and apply elsewhere.

For next week, how many more jobs do you intend to apply for?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tech support over the phone is mainly a stepping stone job. I did it for over 2 years and it eventually ate at me alive. Just keep applying and make sure it's a job that it's worth taking time off to go on an interview to.
    You want out - so let's focus on how you can make at the very least a lateral transition or step up, but it really needs to be somewhere new to break away from the culture of your current employer.

Step 1 - get your resume in order. I would recommend remove any names/personal data and post a copy on here for us to review and give help with. It should ideally be only 2 pages and be tailored to each application you make so it has the key words/skills listec clearly for the HR people to let through the filter.

Step 2 - look at where you are willing to relocate to. Often the best jobs are not going to be in your neighbourhood so you need to be flexible to go further afield and hunt down the roles you really want.

Step 3 - apply for jobs and chase the companies you want to work for. Some may not be ideal but get the experience of interviewing and you will improve with each one. If you have someone who can give you coaching on technique, use them and learn how to sell yourself.

Step 4 - secure that job, hand in your notice and move on up with your life.

All the while keep polishing your tech skills and make sure you really know the stuff on your CV that you claim to be an expert in.

Good luck
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With a CCNP in So Cal it's gotta be an issue with resume/cover letter and/or interview skills.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Start sending out those resumes!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    got a lot of good advice here and i thank you all.

No real CCNP experience I think is whats killing me. I have been fine tuning the resume, and that needs a little more adjustment then i think its best. Ill apply out more this week. This thread was a little of an eye opener. I hope my next post in coming weeks is something along the lines, of putting in my 2 weeks.
    I have been fine tuning the resume, and that needs a little more adjustment then i think its best.

Many times what you see as fine tuning won't help if the main construct of the CV is not easy for employers to read. I strongly recommend getting a sanitised copy posted here where we can offer targetted advice from people who process CVs regularly and know what will catch their eye.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel ya. I did it for awhile and it's soul crushing. Nothing like hearing the beep that immediately follows every call signalling that a new call has come in. *shudders*

If it's affecting you this badly, maybe try looking into some careers in IT that don't really have tech support positions. Digital Forensics, Penetration Testing, Information Assurance, Development, etc. Or perhaps try to take your current tech support skills and transition to being one of the people on the other end of the phone call rather than the tech support guy. I.e. transition to a role we're you're the customer as opposed to the vendor.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Same here, IT Support for me is starting to get really boring. I love speaking to people but:

Same s***, different day.

At least for me it's usually not call after call so there's a lot of downtime to study. The pay is quite decent for a 1st line role and I'm starting to get involved with desktop support projects but I learn things so quick I get easily bored.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you done anything to try and change what you do at work?
    Maybe ask to help with some upper level stuff? Since you have the credentials, have you forward that information to management?
    How do you stand out from your co workers?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    UncleB wrote: »
    Many times what you see as fine tuning won't help if the main construct of the CV is not easy for employers to read. I strongly recommend getting a sanitised copy posted here where we can offer targetted advice from people who process CVs regularly and know what will catch their eye.

hey thats a good idea. I bet im missing something. I will get a copy uploaded here to see what i can be doing better. thank you
    ok here is a copy of my resume without any info on it. if you can take a look it would be way appreciated. all these replies got me thinking quite a bit recently about what i got to be doing to get out. I recently added the skills section on the top
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The format is good. A quick 5 minute initial reaction:

1. The summary needs to be more impactful, you want the job show the self confidence, this is top priority
    2. Remove 11 years from the summary
    3. For career progression put company 2 above company 1, chronologically that's more accurate too
    4. Remove the technician positions to show you don't have a long IT career
    5. Remove CCENT, superfluous but keep CCNP, CCNA, A+
    6. Change "Currently Studying for Associates in Computer Science degree." to "Associates Degree, Computer Science, University, expected graduation month/year"

People looking at your resume see 11 years of IT applying for an admin or engineer position, see currently working network support, no degree and toss it. These changes show you started at help desk and took a step up to engineering. It may trick them into appearing you have a degree. The degree may be a talking point in the interview where you can express what you've learned and what you look forward to learning. Keep the CCNP as it shows you're serious about networking.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Without having an Associates degree... i guess i agree with techfiend.
    You should probably keep the CCNP on the resume; although it still does Not help the "no ccnp exp" issue.

You resume says "Network Guy"; so maybe the better question is "How do i get into security"?
    (although, you still need to identify which aspect of infosec you want to work in)

You should also consider targeting some security certs, right?

How big of a paycut can you take? maybe working a SOC would be helpful?

Lastly, i would also consider relocating away from SoCal if the competition is a bit too High; although it looks like you move TO SoCal (from Florida) not to long ago?

Lastly,
    if your current gig is "soul crushing"... then i guess the #1 goal is to GTHO.
    Period.
    Even if you lateral to another gig... they might have better career progression.
    (although i'd rather take a paycut & get some real ​ exp somewhere)
    Techfiend nailed it here - I've added a few comments to add why I agree with most points:
    techfiend wrote: »

1. The summary needs to be more impactful, you want the job show the self confidence, this is top priority - Actually I would exclude this and expand it in the cover letter. I never read this as what you think you are is irrelevant - I will decide when reading the CV. Not being cruel but the CV has to tick boxes of skills and experience in 30 seconds or I'm binning it and reading your thoughts doesn't interest me.
    2. Remove 11 years from the summary - agreed, this is irrelevant if you have the skills.
    3. For career progression put company 2 above company 1, chronologically that's more accurate too - agreed, reverse order in time and progression.
    4. Remove the technician positions to show you don't have a long IT career - keep the CV to just the last 5 years of experience. Anything unconnected to the job spec is irrelevant and I won't read it anyway.
    5. Remove CCENT, superfluous but keep CCNP, CCNA, A+ - agreed, keep only the higher level certs.
    6. Change "Currently Studying for Associates in Computer Science degree." to "Associates Degree, Computer Science, University, expected graduation month/year" - agreed, it needs to be time bound ortherwise you are just blowing smoke

People looking at your resume see 11 years of IT applying for an admin or engineer position, see currently working network support, no degree and toss it. - agreed, keep the CV very focussed to show what the job ad is asking for with minimal other baggage.

It is a bit of an artform to get it right but you are well on the way. Remember to look at the Essential skills asked for in the job spec and make sure they are covered in your key skills at the top (this gets you though the HR filter) then in the experience section to show where you used them.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Is that a big deal? Only wondering because I'm kinda maybe in the same(or worse) boat. I put in "Pursuing AS in IT" under the education category, though I won't graduate until 12/15/17 and likely won't have my degree in hand until March of next year.

I just don't know if it might be a deal breaker if they ask about the degree and I don't have it in hand yet. I just generally underestimated the value of an AS since everyone including the entry level positions kept asking for a Bachelor's.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    Regarding the CCNP, if you start getting interview questions you can't answer that a CCNP should be able to, consider taking it off.

N7Valiant, try psychology like I mention in #6. I've never been asked for proof of a degree.

Cover letters may still be popular in other parts of the world but in USA they rarely have an option to upload one. The attention span has become so short that a quick, precise, confident summary is the attention grabber. This is mine "Service-focused systems engineer focused on cost, time, quality and scope. Highly skilled with vSphere, Windows and Linux servers. Accomplished in planning, implementing, and documenting IT solutions to support organizational needs."
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    N7Valiant, try psychology like I mention in #6. I've never been asked for proof of a degree.

Cover letters may still be popular in other parts of the world but in USA they rarely have an option to upload one. The attention span has become so short that a quick, precise, confident summary is the attention grabber. This is mine "Service-focused systems engineer focused on cost, time, quality and scope. Highly skilled with vSphere, Windows and Linux servers. Accomplished in planning, implementing, and documenting IT solutions to support organizational needs."
    I'll definitely make that adjustment. I've been neglecting some of the speech techniques from my Speech 151 class. They do have some golden nuggets on how to up-sell yourself.

I did find that about 3 out of 4 positions I've applied to have given me the option to upload a cover letter. I will admit that I haven't really been including that mostly because with 8 years of the same retail position and little to no IT experience, I've found it difficult to really sell myself without BSing.
    OSCP
    Aspiring IT professional with a proven record of customer service, analysis and problem solving. Excels at helping organizations reach their goals..
    volfkhat wrote: »
    You should probably keep the CCNP on the resume; although it still does Not help the "no ccnp exp" issue.

You resume says "Network Guy"; so maybe the better question is "How do i get into security"?
    (although, you still need to identify which aspect of infosec you want to work in)

You should also consider targeting some security certs, right?

How big of a paycut can you take? maybe working a SOC would be helpful?

Lastly, i would also consider relocating away from SoCal if the competition is a bit too High; although it looks like you move TO SoCal (from Florida) not to long ago?

Lastly,
    if your current gig is "soul crushing"... then i guess the #1 goal is to GTHO.
    Period.
    Even if you lateral to another gig... they might have better career progression.
    (although i'd rather take a paycut & get some real ​ exp somewhere)

Thanks man.
    Yes i want to gtfo. I have really been trying to get into a NOC for an ISP, and almost had my in, but a inhouse person got it. :-/ I could take a pay cut for SOC type of role, i really dont want to, if anything id like to get paid more, but given the right opportunity. I want to ultimately do pen testing. I agree, i need to get some security certs, also attending college right now and working full time.

1. The summary needs to be more impactful, you want the job show the self confidence, this is top priority
    2. Remove 11 years from the summary
    3. For career progression put company 2 above company 1, chronologically that's more accurate too
    4. Remove the technician positions to show you don't have a long IT career
    5. Remove CCENT, superfluous but keep CCNP, CCNA, A+
    6. Change "Currently Studying for Associates in Computer Science degree." to "Associates Degree, Computer Science, University, expected graduation month/year"

People looking at your resume see 11 years of IT applying for an admin or engineer position, see currently working network support, no degree and toss it. These changes show you started at help desk and took a step up to engineering. It may trick them into appearing you have a degree. The degree may be a talking point in the interview where you can express what you've learned and what you look forward to learning. Keep the CCNP as it shows you're serious about networking.

1. Will work on that. Im not so good at that
    2. done
    3. So the very first job at the top of my list is my current job? or last job?
    4. done
    5. done
    6. done

Thank you!
    3. So the very first job at the top of my list is my current job? or last job?
    The advice I got from my instructor was to put the most current job or education at the top, because that's what people will see first. Generally that's where you want to stick your strongest points(if you have a Bachelor's recently, put it up there. If you have a higher level cert like CISSP, that goes to the top. If you worked a skilled position or management, right to the top.) as well for the same reason.

Makes sense, they say HR people only spend a few seconds glancing at your resume, so you have to impress fast.
    OSCP
    Yes most recent experience first. If you have IT experience, it's most important, followed by certs and education. If no IT experience; summary, certs, education, experience aka a functional resume.