Options

And this is why I hate ALL recruiters

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In fact, I'll never do work for TekSystems...
    LOL - not the first time TekSystems has negatively mentioned in these forums.

In seriousness though, references go both ways. I also do back-channel checks on the people that I work for. Usually, I'm looking for compatibility and the exec leadership work ethic, etc. I've always thought it was a good practice to check out a prospective employer.
  • Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate recruiters as well. In fact, I'll never do work for TekSystems again since one recruiter with them that I was in contact with and looking to change jobs ended up talking to my current boss asking why I'd be looking to leave and that she had the perfect candidate to replace me with. That ended up being a very weird conversation that I had with the guy I reported to at that job and luckily a couple of weeks later I had an offer for a better FT role and left to end that weird job. I talked to her boss after that conversation and as far as I can tell she still works for them.

Wow, this story kind of makes me not want to work with any recruiters again.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, this story kind of makes me not want to work with any recruiters again.

It makes me not want to do it either. Now I'll listen to a headhunter though as I know a few really good ones. They know that if it's not a direct hire or for an obscene amount of money I won't be for it.
  • Options
    kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
    Well, has anyone got any advice for me?
    I am getting lots of calls for infosec jobs but don't hear back from recruiters after submitting resume.
    How do I make sure that recruiter actually does have a job and is not wasting time ?
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kabooter wrote: »
    Well, has anyone got any advice for me?
    I am getting lots of calls for infosec jobs but don't hear back from recruiters after submitting resume.
    How do I make sure that recruiter actually does have a job and is not wasting time ?

Just ask them point blank, "Is this for an actual job or are you just collecting resumes"? Observe their reaction.
  • Options
    kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Just ask them point blank, "Is this for an actual job or are you just collecting resumes"? Observe their reaction.
    Well, some of the amateur may trip at the question but others are likely to lie through their teeth. it is quite a bit of work to tailor resume according to the job requirements and go through the nine yards so I am kinda getting tired of the relentless emails, linked in msgs, phone calls.
    There has to be a better way of making sure that it is not a fake job. Perhaps ask for job requisition ID, see an actual job post?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    LOL - not the first time TekSystems has negatively mentioned in these forums.

In seriousness though, references go both ways. I also do back-channel checks on the people that I work for. Usually, I'm looking for compatibility and the exec leadership work ethic, etc. I've always thought it was a good practice to check out a prospective employer.

Paul remember the one poster who put on their resume/linkedin Robert Half need not contact me. or something like that.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Paul remember the one poster who put on their resume/linkedin Robert Half need not contact me. or something like that.... icon_lol.gif

I've seen lots of people actually put on their profiles or CVs no staffing agencies at all, and lot of them were not even in IT so it's not just a problem with our sector. And Robert Half for me was a decent company, at the least they tried working with me, offering suggestions for my resume, spotting where I made stupid errors I overlooked, and one time they even coached me for interviews. Much more than I can say for any of the others especially TekSystems.
    kabooter wrote: »
    Well, some of the amateur may trip at the question but others are likely to lie through their teeth. it is quite a bit of work to tailor resume according to the job requirements and go through the nine yards so I am kinda getting tired of the relentless emails, linked in msgs, phone calls.
    There has to be a better way of making sure that it is not a fake job. Perhaps ask for job requisition ID, see an actual job post?

They aren't likely to give out too much of the job details themselves, understandably, because their company only gets paid if they actually place someone (and they have to sell the company as a viable placement agency by, collecting resumes to show their "talent pool" lol). Otherwise, prospects will simply do and end run around them and get in touch with the company directly. That said, in my experience, when a recruiter mentioned a company name looking for the position, it seemed those times it was a real job they were trying to fill. You could ask for a description and try searching job boards and see if there is a position they want to fill, of course the recruiter may be (intentionally) vague, which itself should be a sign they are just collecting resumes.

FWIW I have no issue if a staffing agency wants to hold on to my resume for future use, it's when they are deceptive about it, making promises when they know there is no job, just to get my resume to use as a talent pool. As someone pointed out, a good recruiter can have a direct line to the hiring manager and knows how to market you.
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Throw in DoD 8570 requirements and you will experience another level of unnecessary frustration. I have had to educate more than a few recruiters on what certs meet 8570 requirements. I rarely apply for the position after having this conversation.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    Throw in DoD 8570 requirements and you will experience another level of unnecessary frustration. I have had to educate more than a few recruiters on what certs meet 8570 requirements. I rarely apply for the position after having this conversation.

The only reason why I'm not taking Sec+ off of the resume even though I have CISSP.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate recruiters.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    <---- I had a "good" experience with a recruiter landing me my current role, and even that one was not without problems caused by the recruiter. The recruiter kept telling me to A) stick to the compensation number I gave her (no problem) and B) to not ask about benefits until after an offer has been made because it "really turns them off if you ask to many question around that until an offer is made". I figured that sounds reasonable, ok I can wait.

Offer is made, I then ask about benefits and it blows up. I am later forwarded an email sent to the recruiter asking why she would bring them a "problem child".

Recruiter meet BUS, under it you go..... I don't care if they have a "15 year" relationship with her. Its her fault, I am not covering for her. The hiring company immediately saw what happened, answered my questions and even revised the offer and resent it. I work there now, but man...that recruiter sure knows how to screw **** up.

In case anyone is interested, the questions were things like "How does PTO or vacation time work/how much/etc..." and "How are raises handled?".

tl;dr

Recruiters are your proxy, they will represent you however they want. Its a crap shoot. :/
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had a great one today..

Recruiter calls, leaves voicemail about several "great fits" followed by an email. Per my normal routine, I email back and ask about job descriptions. I don't want to waste their or my time on the phone for things that do not even remotely fit. I get an email back saying that they cannot disclose this information and I must call them to chat. Mind you, I have contracted through his company before and I have worked with a handful of their recruiters to I can know their policies pretty well. Queue a quick search and behold - they have been a recruiter a total of 2 months.

Told them I didn't want to talk on the phone unless I knew there was a position that I would be a fit for and had interest in. That really ruffled their feathers.

Really recruiter... Really? No, I don't want to do a dance on the phone of introducing myself to you to find out you want someone with experience in a completely different field and you are offering a position that does not match up at all. If you don't really have a specific fit in mind, say that up front and say you just want to discuss my background and see if you have anything.

/endrant

For the record.. I wouldn't have been bothered by this if they had not acted completely offended by me telling them I didn't want to call unless I knew it was something I would be interested in.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup, that is recruiters ...

Recruiter: Let's touch base
    Me: Okay, let's schedule something.
    Recruiter: Crickets
    Repeat again

Recruiter: I need references.
    Me: I comply
    Recruiter: Company suddenly rethinking position. WTF?
    - And the recruiters now have and can bother my references.

Recruiter: I need references.
    Me: I need to meet the hiring manger first.
    Recruiter: Crickets

When you're new and looking for a job, you comply.
    Recruiters are ***holes for that.
    Luckily there are Career Advisers who post articles on the internet who help you; give you a back bone.

The second time a recruiter asked for references, advice I found was have them ante up, so I did.
    - Let me meet the hiring manager first.
    - Left me see if this is the real deal or not, or if you're just jerking me around.
    Sure enough crickets.
    And that heffer was selling the job like it was sure shot.
    And I never heard from him again.

And it's just not recruiters who'll have you jump hoops.
    The new thing is recorded video interview.
    What kind of lazy ass sh*t is this?
    I'm never doing that again.
    I had one where I spent a lot time on it, and I got crickets.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a race to get the best applicant. Some agencies are evolving and doing their job to forge relationships with companies or subsets of companies and creating in-roads as the preferred vendor. In those cases you are set up good, but there is initial front end work done on the relationship side, but..... most of the recruiters I see like to throw turds at the wall and see if it sticks. Shotgun sales approach and it can work but is very hard on the candidates that don't work out. I personally think that method is trash and the people who go with it are equal.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Really hate when they don't look at your resume. Just because I am in IT, doesn't make me a Java developer.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    B) to not ask about benefits until after an offer has been made because it "really turns them off if you ask to many question around that until an offer is made". I figured that sounds reasonable...

I've never considered that to be a reasonable request. Benefits are a part of the compensation. I had to learn the hard way that the very next question after salary needs to be about benefits. I took a job that paid a salary that was 12k more than my previous employer. Benefits were not discussed because the recruiter didn't want me to scare off the employer. That was a big mistake. My previous employer covered 85% of the insurance premiums. This employer covered none. I went from paying about $150 per paycheck for insurance for my family to $750 per check for insurance that wasn't even as good as my previous employers. I went from paying $3,900 a year for insurance to $19,500. I'm actually bringing home $7,500 less per year all because I didn't discuss insurance.
  • Options
    KapitalKapital Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've never considered that to be a reasonable request. Benefits are a part of the compensation. I had to learn the hard way that the very next question after salary needs to be about benefits. I took a job that paid a salary that was 12k more than my previous employer. Benefits were not discussed because the recruiter didn't want me to scare off the employer. That was a big mistake. My previous employer covered 85% of the insurance premiums. This employer covered none. I went from paying about $150 per paycheck for insurance for my family to $750 per check for insurance that wasn't even as good as my previous employers. I went from paying $3,900 a year for insurance to $19,500. I'm actually bringing home $7,500 less per year all because I didn't discuss insurance.
    ouch! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□

That was a huge red flag when the recruiter didn't want you to talk about benefits with the client! I've always wondered when should I ask about pay and benefits? The first interview? I'm concerned the employer might get upset because all I care about is money but that is the point of a job is to get paid.
  • Options
    I was going through two recruiting processes at the time I accepted the offer from company B. The "bad" recruiter I described was an external agency, while company A had internal recruiters. The difference was night and day. The external agency was very focused on getting the company what they wanted and pushed back if I talked benefits or pay "until the time was right".

The internal recruiter was upfront on everything and told me a few times "I don't know, lets see what they say...ill get back to you" instead of BS'ing an answer.

Yesterday I had a recruiter reach out on linkedin, I declined but said I have a friend who lives in the city your looking to hire in and hes better qualified than me. Crickets....
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really hate when they don't look at your resume. Just because I am in IT, doesn't make me a Java developer.

I get this a lot. icon_lol.gif In my case, I only posted on LinkedIn the name of the company I've worked for (except the last two since I transferred to InfoSec), position / title and my certifications. Other than that, nothing, not even a career summary or a brief description of what I did in my previous jobs, yet I get messages recruiting for all sorts of positions. It makes me wonder on what grounds are they basing their invitations on? icon_scratch.gif They're just probably looking for some keywords and that's it.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options

LOL seriously, it seems I get contacted for almost every type of IT or developer job except the ones I am actually doing or qualified for, even after I stripped away superfluous terms.
  • Options
    SyntaxSyntax Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□

Right? Or, even better, when they contact you about a Tier 1 Desktop Support technician position paying $12.00 /hr when you have 10 years experience as a network engineer.
  • Options
    Syntax wrote: »
    Right? Or, even better, when they contact you about a Tier 1 Desktop Support technician position paying $12.00 /hr when you have 10 years experience as a network engineer.

OMG that actually did happen to me recently! The recruiter who obviously didn't see IT Manager on my resume sent me an obvious generic email about how wonderful opportunity this help desk position would be and extolled all the benefits and the $13 hour wage lol. Took me a while to stop laughing before I sent a polite reply declining the "opportunity" and asking him to get back to me when a job more fitting to my current skills and experience becomes available.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I get that a lot too. Very annoying.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Syntax wrote: »

Even better when it's also a 1099 role too!
  • Options
    Even better when it's also a 1099 role too!

1099, 6 month contract, other side of the planet, for known-bad-company
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    --chris-- wrote: »
    1099, 6 month contract, other side of the planet, for known-bad-company

THIS ^ allout.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I applied for a job listed on a company's site. A couple days later a clueless recruiter sends me an email asking a bunch of really stupid questions that made it obvious that he had not read my application or viewed my resume. Straight to the trash bin after I got a few laughs.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about you guys but I've had really good luck with recruiters who are local to me.