The "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS

Comments

• lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    REal good info mgeorge.... again thanks for the info.. and how many chapters are u making
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Matt, do you want to do a chapter on "IOS commands to make your IOS experience more user friendly?"

Here are some of the most frequently used commands I use to make navigating IOS easier.

Commands:

1.) How to stop console messages from interrupting your input commands:

If you've ever used a piece of Cisco gear (or even some simulators) you're aware of what I mean. Rather than having console messages interrupt your commands, you can type the following command. The messages will still be displayed, but your prompt will be dropped down where you can continue it, rather than being interrupted.
    R5>
    R5>en
    R5#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
    R5(config)#line console 0
    R5(config-line)#logging synchronous
    R5(config-if)#end
    R5#

2.) How to get to enable mode from any configuration level:

Rather than type "exit" to back out of each consecutive configuration level, you can type "end" to get back to the ENABLE access level of IOS. In the following, "exit" was used twice.
    R5>en
    R5#conf t
    R5(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/0
    R5(config-if)#exit
    R5(config)#exit
    R5#

In this, example however, the "end" command was issued, saving you time navigating through IOS.
    R5>
    R5>en
    R5#conf t
    R5(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/0
    R5(config-if)#end
    R5#

3.) How to turn off domain-lookups

Have you ever miss-typed a command then received the following message after a lengthy wait?
    R1>
    R1>en
    R1#typo
    Translating "typo"...domain server (255.255.255.255)

(255.255.255.255)
    % Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address
    R1#

Well if you're using a lab or simulator you more than likely don't have any name servers set up, especially if you don't have internet access. To make these messages go away, simply input the following commands.
    R5>
    R5>en
    R5#conf t
    R5(config)#no ip domain-lookup
    R5(config)#end
    R5#

Instead of receiving the error shown above, you should be instantly presented with the following message.
    R1>
    R1>en
    R1#typo
    Translating "typo"

Translating "typo"
    % Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address
    R1#

4.) You don't have to return to global configuration mode between lower config modes.

It amazes me how often I see someone tasked with configuring multiple physical or logical addresses exit back to global configuration mode between each interfaces. Rather, you can simply change interfaces from the interface (or any other config mode).
    R1>
    R1>en
    R1#conf t
    R1(config)#interface serial 1/0
    R1(config-if)#interface serial 1/1
    R1(config-if)#interface serial 1/2
    R1(config-if)#end
    R1#

Although this is a feature of IOS, you can't use the tab key to complete commands used to navigate from interface to interface on interface config level.

If anyone finds these types of "shortcut" commands helpful I'll continue to add to the list.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you're using a lab or simulator you more than likely don't have any name servers set up, especially if you don't have internet access. To make these messages go away, simply input the following commands.

Code:

R5>
    R5>en
    R5#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    R5(config)#no ip domain-lookup
    R5(config)#end
    R5#

Another twist on this is to use the "transport preferred none" command in line configuration mode, it will stop the router from even attempting to resolve hostnames to IP addresses instead of turning off domain-lookup which will stop the router from using a DNS server. The downside will be if you want to telnet R1 you would need to type out "telnet R1" instead of just "R1".

HTH
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Paul, eventually ill start adding more. I just got to work this morning and im still half asleep so...

any who, good ideal though :) kudos. Some commands can just be a pain in the @$$. when i get
    time i will write some stuff about this topic as well.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another quick shortcut - CTRL+SHIFT+6 is the break sequence to stop a ping or traceroute command.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    I will be uploading the PDF to somewhere so people can download it. The guide is alot better
    laid out then this web thread but i feel obligated to advertise techexams.net as its orginal orgin.

I will be using PDF format so i can secure it so it will require Adobe reader 7.0 minimum

Also i am open to ideals and suggestions to add to this freely avaliable guide. Paul has provided
    great info that would be helpful to any new comer to the Cisco field.

If you have great ideals and wish for me to include such info then feel free to post on this thread
    or send me a private message.

I appreciate the continued support during the construction of this guide and would like to thank
    everyone who has provided ideals and suggestions as well as pointing out errors that ive made
    while typing such guide at 5:00 in the morning after going 25 hours straight. Any who i needa get
    back to work icon_lol.gif
    The PDF Link has been added folks!!! Feel free to leave feedback!!

I'm actually pretty happy to get this posted finally after all the rough work I've been
    through lately. I hope you guys enjoy. I will be updating it on a monthly basis.

UPDATE: Apparently alot of people are downloading this file so the site im hosting it at has
    probably disabled it. If any one knows of a decent hosting site where i dont have to spend 10
    minutes to sign up then pm me plz. Thanks
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks matt, awesome work.

Shame I can't download it though icon_sad.gif. Maybe you could ask Johan to host on the site, under the CCNA FAQ? At then end of the day you did mention this is for techexam users only........so I hope you have chucked him and mike a pm :D

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Well at the moment if you are wanting it send me an email at mgeorge27@bellsouth.net
    untill i can get some one to host this with out removing it icon_eek.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    To be published as TechExams.net TechNotes/TechLabs for example, this should have gone through our regular publishing process. Which means contacting me up front, and send it to me (the editor) so I can edit/format it in TE-style and then publish it as TechExams.net material. I would have been a lot more eager to add this to our collection of TechNotes, or otherwise put it in a TechExams.net jacket, if I would have received a PM before starting a topic like this in our forum (for which the forums are simply not meant). I obviously realize Matt wrote this to help our members and I obviously have nothing against this particular topic (it would have been gone if that were the case), there's a good amount of useful info in it you won't find in most cert guides, but it 'is' an exception to the rule (for which I would have appreciated a PM to ask permission in advance). Simply put: we publish "TechExams.net's" guides, not Matt George's guides.

If you are still interested in publishing this in the proper way, just shoot me a PM. But again, I don't mind the topic either, so feel free to carry on either way.

I thought I already added a link to this topic in our FAQ, but I see Matt changed that topic to this new one, so I'll re-add it to the list.
    Paul, I have added several of your ideals to the "Navigating the Cisco ios section"

Also, I shot you a pm Johan.

And ask for the rest of you guys, this guide was downloaded 214 times last night when I
    woke up this morning. Well 214 times before the hosting site decided to remove it any ways.

Any who, a new download link has been posted and I have added some content as requestd
    by Paul.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks Matt, I'll get back to you tomorrow or Monday and we'll work something out.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif to both of you!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Hey Matt...

Just had a chance to read through your tut, and have to say, nice work.

I did not know about the "do" prefix, or the "alias" command... will be putting both to good use.

Thanks for sharing,
    Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    within the next week or so i will be adding a new section that discusses design concepts in general as well as the enterprise hierarchical structure. Also i have removed the text from the thread and made the guide strictkly PDF for security issues. I have already had to remove bits and peices of this guide from another website.

Also in the process of getting this pdf hosted at techexams.net. More information will be posted in due time.
  • DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this pdf supposed to prompt for a password? Im using ubuntu and it wont let me view it without a password.
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    This is a veeery nice guide! Thank Youu!! icon_cheers.gif
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
    Well guys I finally had the time to add the next section of the guide which is a surprise ^_^ go check it out :)

Feel free to leave comments or suggestions, I'm always open to ideas so shoot me a me msg.
    Okay guys heres the deal, i'm going to try to post the next section over fake cisco and identifying fake cisco but i need to get pictures first.

Also i am open to suggestions. If their are sections which you'd like to see added where i discuss topics please feel free to post or msg me.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This sounds cool, I just downloaded the pdf and I'll look over it later and tell you what I think. I had an excellent Cisco teacher back in my college days.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    KGhaleon wrote:
    This sounds cool, I just downloaded the pdf and I'll look over it later and tell you what I think. I had an excellent Cisco teacher back in my college days.

KG

Thanks alot :) Funny though, I just turned 21 on the 3rd :D I think ive made my decision to try to get my R&S at 23 and Voice at 27 and I'm debating on my Security in my 30's.

Any who hope ya enjoy the guide :)
    I was looking forward to reading it, but for some reason I can't open the pdf. Have you updated or made any changes to it lately? I'll try downloading it again.

KG
    Well here lately ive not really had much time, ive been a busy slave working my @$$ off.

I need to get around to adding another section to it. If you can open the pdf with 8.0 (you have to have 7.0 minimum)
    Ah, no wonder. I'm using Acrobat reader 5.0.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I just tried to open it, and I got an error, Bad Encrypt Dictionary....any ideas? I'm using Adobe 8.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried going to adobe.com for any updates?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    It opens fine for me on adobe 8.1.0 reader. tested it on 5 lab comps here at work, any one else having an issue?

matt
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Opened fine for me with Acrobat 8.x in Firefox (on Vista). Also downloaded and opened just fine.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Opened fine for me in 7.0.9...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    I will have a few days come up where i have some free time and this guide is well over a new revision, is their any topics any one would like to see ?

mg
This discussion has been closed.