1st CCIE lab attempt blog and help for candidates.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude! Where have you been? You fell off the face of the earth for a while there.

I think Mrock's CCIE studies collapsed once his wife had the little ones. Understandable. We have a six week old indoors.
    I will be spending more time with the family. Ccie suspended
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Not that spending time with family is bad, it's great but was hoping this would be your year. Do you mind if I ask how you came to this decision?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Not that spending time with family is bad, it's great but was hoping this would be your year. Do you mind if I ask how you came to this decision?

Simply not practical at this time with the amount of work I have on and all the help I need to give my wife after work. That's life :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Ccie suspended
    But <ArnoldSchwarzeneggerVoice>You'll be back</ArnoldSchwarzeneggerVoice>, right?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Simply not practical at this time with the amount of work I have on and all the help I need to give my wife after work. That's life :)

Family first, I respect that! :)
    Family first, I respect that! :)

Yeah its impossible at the moment. Struggling to stay afloat at work. When home Im on constant alert helping with the kids sometimes late into the night. No time for reading or rack sessions man.
    Lets get through February. Once the work/home routine settles I can start to do all the Vol 1 exercises on remote racks through March. Should be able to find 1 hour a day, 2 hours on less busy days during the week. Weekends will remain difficult for lab practice as I spend more time helping with the kids.
    Glad to hear you're still giving it a try :) Hope everything settles down for you.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
    Glad to hear you're still giving it a try :) Hope everything settles down for you.

We are getting there. February will be difficult but I think I can squeak an occasional hour of lab time in on Vol1. Im done with reading for now, lab time is the key. Things at home and at work are finding some balance so if I can do a bit of study in February, March should be back on track! Thousands of meetings at work at the moment but things are getting planned for the year ahead which will help. 22.14pm, baby just stopped screaming and sleeping at last so some time with my wife now.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    February will be difficult but I think I can squeak an occasional hour of lab time in on Vol1.
    Are you running Dynamips or GNS3 yet? Or will you just do some labs your home lab hardware will support?

Or have you found a rack rental place that rents by the hour?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Are you running Dynamips or GNS3 yet? Or will you just do some labs your home lab hardware will support?

Or have you found a rack rental place that rents by the hour?

Hi Mike,

I never took time out to invest in hardware for dynamips and the setting up time and fine tuning put me off in anycase. All my labtime has been on real gear since 2007. My homerack (mostly 2500's) served me well for the core technologies but that has since gone into storage to convert the study into a bedroom for our 3 year old. I use remote racks a lot when I have time, the only issue there is a 5 hour slot often gets mostly wasted as its often only practical to get two or three hours in. It will be remote racks when I get started again.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I honestly don't think GNS/Dynamips costs much in the way of time to get setup.

Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a stack of routers :D
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I honestly don't think GNS/Dynamips costs much in the way of time to get setup.

Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a stack of routers :D

Renting isnt that costly. You need a decent PC or laptop and we have none to spare at home, you also need the switches. Lots of people have problems setting it up and tuning it, followed by bugs when doing complex labs. It kinda puts me off.
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    not to mention when your halfway through something and it mysteriously dies thats what made me (after much swearing) build a home lab:)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    aldous wrote: »
    not to mention when your halfway through something and it mysteriously dies thats what made me (after much swearing) build a home lab:)

OK I can't deny this... I haven't used GNS in a while so I need to get back into the swing of things and start using it really :D
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hi Mike,

I never took time out to invest in hardware for dynamips and the setting up time and fine tuning put me off in anycase. All my labtime has been on real gear since 2007. My homerack (mostly 2500's) served me well for the core technologies but that has since gone into storage to convert the study into a bedroom for our 3 year old. I use remote racks a lot when I have time, the only issue there is a 5 hour slot often gets mostly wasted as its often only practical to get two or three hours in. It will be remote racks when I get started again.

I've actually begun to use dynamips a bit more, just for the convenience factor. Only when I'm working with something that involves routing scenarios though, haven't gone through the hassle of setting up a dedicated box and connecting it to my physical switches. But if all I need is something like six to eight routers to work out a concept, dynamips has been pretty solid for me.
    I've actually begun to use dynamips a bit more, just for the convenience factor. Only when I'm working with something that involves routing scenarios though, haven't gone through the hassle of setting up a dedicated box and connecting it to my physical switches. But if all I need is something like six to eight routers to work out a concept, dynamips has been pretty solid for me.

I think once you have it all running it could be very good for that. I guess Im just stuck in my real gear ways and full on labs.
    I have done most of the INE vol1 labs on Dynamips, I used rack rental for switching and multicast since I knew those areas have limitations/issues in Dynamips. My Dynamips setup is running very smooth so far but I did have to put a lot of time investigating things and writing a script to convert configs but now that it's done it's working great.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
    Work and things on the homefront becoming more stable thanks to the study hiatus through February. Roll on March when I can begin daily lab practice again.
    March looms. 3 hour lab sessions Monday to Friday. Yeah baby. 60 hours lab time for a couple of months should leave me in good stead for mock exam weekends. That plus troubleshooting practice, Doc CD and note revision should leave me well placed for the lab attempt later this year.
    Too many meetings this week for labwork. Still March has begun so we try again next week :)
    Monday is slaughtered with 6 meetings planned already for design projects and customer solutions. Hopefully with a big push at the beginning of the week a chink of study light will emerge if I can get a few things moving at work. Itching to get some racktime in.
    The studies slipped necessarily since New Year to focus on key projects at work and help at home with the family. A lot of progress was made thanks to sheer hardwork including a good deal of time away from home for meetings. Now we have a space to study again. The counter offensive begins with racktime slated for Tuesday and Wednesday! INE Vol1. The show is back on the road.
    Glad to hear you're back on track! What areas are you focusing on from Vol1?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
    Glad to hear you're back on track! What areas are you focusing on from Vol1?
    I plan to tramp through the whole of the workbook through March labbing each day. In April I begin the Vol II config work. For reading I will just print off the Vol II labs and look them over this month.
    Not of lot of labbing done today but I at least got on a rack. Printed out the physical diagram to help with tomorrow's session. Started reading INE Vol1 Bridging and Switching this evening. Back on the horse anyway. Managing my time very carefully at work.
    A shocker at work with all my labtime sunk into pulling things together for the company. Yesterday and today's rack sessions just sitting idle. Terrible waste of money. On the positive note I hit my deadlines. So far as studies go I have at least found *some* time to turn over a spot of reading of Vol I. So I think for the moment I will just have to manage with 20 minute stints of workbook reading in between meetings and design tasks to refresh my memory with configurations, identify the things I need to rinse and repeat on a rack, and book a rack session when I actually have time to do it properly.

Not in the evening though, now work is done we will be flat out with the kids until late by which time we will be too tired to do anything other than watch 30 minutes of TV and go to bed.

So it's mealtime, playtime, bathtime and bedtime for the eldest and help with the baby during the course of the evening while we try to get him settled.
    With labtime impossible at the moment I have fallen back on reading and actually that's going pretty well. Almost done with Vol I Bridging and Switching reading. A really good refresher leaving only a few things of note I can polish off with some practice.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Sounds like things are beginning to come back together again for you now. Great stuff.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
This discussion has been closed.