WoW does it again...

13»

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    JDMurray wrote:
    OK, for those of you that stood in line last night/this morning to get WOTLK, is the graphics any better than the previous releases of WoW? That's one of the big negatives for me. It's visuals are just too antiquated for my taste. That and all the running. icon_tongue.gif

You won't see upgraded graphics with WOW. They made them the way they are on purpose. It gives a more artistic feel rather than photorealism, plus it's more scalable.

That's what they said on the collector's edition DVD anyways, lol, yes I stood in line.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    It gives a more artistic feel rather than photorealism, plus it's more scalable.

Yea dude, it's definitely the latter. You're not going to hit 10 million subscribers if you require beefy specs.

Hey JD, maybe this will be more up your alley: http://www.rocksolidarcade.com/games/robokill/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    darkerosxx wrote:
    You won't see upgraded graphics with WOW. They made them the way they are on purpose. It gives a more artistic feel rather than photorealism, plus it's more scalable.
    Yeah, I realize that the WoW client is essentially a Terminal Server window that will run on most Windows boxes, but I thought they'd have a "better graphics" options for people with beefier machines (which is about every gamer by now). You can adjust the graphics of most MMORPGs to suit the machine, but in the case of WoW, they'd have to come up with a whole universe of new and better artwork. I guess their customers aren't clamoring for that.
    dynamik wrote:
    Hey JD, maybe this will be more up your alley: http://www.rocksolidarcade.com/games/robokill/
    Eh, Flash-based games that request local storage rights make me very suspicious. The graphics look very cool, tho.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    OK, for those of you that stood in line last night/this morning to get WOTLK, is the graphics any better than the previous releases of WoW? That's one of the big negatives for me. It's visuals are just too antiquated for my taste. That and all the running. icon_tongue.gif

Negative. Kinda sucks since I have a pretty sweet machine:

PC.jpg
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    EVE Online for me. I can play it while I study
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Its not just WoW and MMOs that consume people's lives, its video games in general. Look at all the people who can play guitar hero on expert with their eyes closed, or people who play CS competitively, you think they only put in 1hr a week?

Thats the way society is these days. Some people goto work, and come home and glue themselves to a screen.

And I may think its crazy to spend $5000/year on WoW subscriptions, but I am sure just as many people think its crazy that I spend $5000 on a bicycle. We all have indulgences :D

Live and let live
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Its not just WoW and MMOs that consume people's lives, its video games in general. Look at all the people who can play guitar hero on expert with their eyes closed, or people who play CS competitively, you think they only put in 1hr a week?

Thats the way society is these days. Some people goto work, and come home and glue themselves to a screen.

And I may think its crazy to spend $5000/year on WoW subscriptions, but I am sure just as many people think its crazy that I spend $5000 on a bicycle. We all have indulgences :D

Live and let live

Damn straight.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I play Guild Wars. I like it better and there are no monthly fees. I loved Starcraft. Warcraft, and Diablo. But there is no way I'm going to pay a monthly fee to keep playing a game I already bought.

But WOW is of course highly popular, so they must be doing something right.

Game On!!!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I have a question about WoW... If I play this game again and get to level 40, is it pretty much going to be the same thing/same quests/same way to get to level 40? Or has it changed enough where I will find some different experiences? I'm sure it is completely different for those playing at 55-80 or w/e but have they changed it up for the lower levels?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    The only difference you might find are the initial levelling areas for the new races in the Burning Crusade expansion, which brought Draenei(Alliance) and Blood Elves(Horde). Other than that, the expansions are only for 60-70(Burning Crusade) and 70-80(Wrath of the Lich King) level players.

The only other change you may feel, but not necessarily see, is they dramatically increased the experience received from killing monsters and completing quests from level 20 - 60.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I asked my wife about this for you, and she basically said what darker said. You need to be at 58 to get to the BC content and 68 to get to the WotLK content, so you're not going to get any real benefit at the lower levels. She said the game style might have changed quite a bit since you've played it last, but all the lower level stuff has been provided via patches. The only reason you'd want the BC is if you want to start with one of the expansion races. I guess you can do death knights in WotLK, but you need to already have a level 70 since they start at 55.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    The only difference you might find are the initial levelling areas for the new races in the Burning Crusade expansion, which brought Draenei(Alliance) and Blood Elves(Horde). Other than that, the expansions are only for 60-70(Burning Crusade) and 70-80(Wrath of the Lich King) level players.

The only other change you may feel, but not necessarily see, is they dramatically increased the experience received from killing monsters and completing quests from level 20 - 60.

+1

Also, you can now get regular mounts at level 30 instead of 40, and there are paladins and shamans on both sides now.

The old level 55-60 instances (Dire Maul, Strat, Scholo, etc.) are basically deserted. I haven't played much since WotLK came out, but I'm guessing most of the Outland instances are pretty empty now, too...that or you'll have groups of Death Knights and a healer in them.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I unfortunantly started paying into this addiction a few days ago. My brother has a second account he never uses and had a lvl 70 shaman so I was able to get a free Dark Knight. All I have to say is the DK is soo addicting to play because you get the best of all character specs.

I haven't played like an addict since I have a life and have to juggle that work thing.
    WotLK sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24 hours. Blizzard making the bogus claim that WotLK is the fastest-selling PC game of all time. It's the fastest-selling expansion of an existing game of all time maybe.

World of Warcraft®: Wrath of the Lich King™ Shatters Day-1 Sales Record
    Who beats 2.8mil, then?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm officially selling 2 of my accounts 1 of them was given to me.

account 1 - 70 Mage/47 druid/a bunch of lvl 30's different character.
    account2 - 74 Paladin/60 Warrior/57 Shamman.

I quit the game again after just playing for 5 days, I need to dedicate my time off my new job and getting my certifications.
  • Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70 horde undead priest and 71 undead mage here! I'm on Burning Blade a pvp server.

I bought the expansion too. I like it a lot. The new zones are pretty cool (Borean Tundra is just terribly designed).. Howling Fjord is a lot of fun, you get to ride a canoe for a quest and a plane for another! Not a fan of the Death Knights, or maybe there was just too much of them around.

I used to play a lot just to pvp at level 70 this past spring and summer (priest was resilience capped, mage relatively close to resilience cap) and almost maxed out my honor, and pvp mark caps. Both chars have their epic flying mounts.

The past almost 2 months I've been substituting what was my WoW time for gym time, and only play an hour every 2-3 days. :D
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    You have to learn to play in moderation. I only play only on Friday nights and Saturday nights. All other time is spent with family or studying. Wow is my reward for all the studying I do and gives me a nice break.
    I think this Penny Arcade strip just about sums up the new and the old of WOTLK:

20081114.jpg

The motif changes, but the mode and motivation never does. icon_lol.gif
    I like the storyline, actually. They arguably have the best stories in the industry. While that comic is funny and can represent how some people see the game, people who play it as a MMORPG instead of just a MMO can enjoy the storyline and may not see it as simply killing six snow meeses.

Nobody ever claimed WOTLK was game-changing. It's just another extension to the story line. :D
  • Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    I like the storyline, actually. They arguably have the best stories in the industry. While that comic is funny and can represent how some people see the game, people who play it as a MMORPG instead of just a MMO can enjoy the storyline and may not see it as simply killing six snow meeses.

I agree, there are so many different plotlines and stories within each other that just slay me. I've been reading a ton of lore lately, and can't wait for the new Arthas book in 2009 :D

The Windrunner sisters are my all time favorite. I hope they find Alleria, lol icon_sad.gif
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LAWL tegek egekzams rules!!!
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Been playing WOTLK for the last couple of weeks. I have to say this blizzards greatest installment yet. It makes vanilla wow a distant memory and TBC a very bad expansion pack.

There are more interesting quests in the game, more interactive player involvement (nothing like driving a tank through a camp of undead scouge with a blade turning at the front :D)

Very good, the best yet.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.