Options

novell.....why?

13»

Comments

• Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I think you drank the Novell Kool-Aid.

imho Server 2003 eclipsed it.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    discount81 wrote: »
    I think you drank the Novell Kool-Aid.

imho Server 2003 eclipsed it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "eclipsed it", but certainly, M$ was offering a more comprehensive package for its flagship server offering at that moment. Novell tried to up the ante with NetWare 6.5, but by then the ship had largely sailed.

I'd agree with Turgon:
    Great products, superb technologists. Shafted by bad management and marketing who made money and destroyed a bright company. A damn shame. Miles ahead of MS technically but I think the management got too big and fat and the company was ruined and the 'best' technology was passed over thanks to inadequate people collecting money at Novell and not pushing for changes that would have taken them into the lead.
    It was long stated that Novell couldn't market their way out of a paper bag. The Novell vs. M$ thing ended up like VHS vs. Beta (or HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray), and most of us know who won out.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    its a shame i have never used anything of novell, only heard of the name
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Man, last time I have seen Novell was computers from 1999 booting up software at a military base while i was in high school.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Supporting 45 Novell Linux based servers and 8 Netware 6.5 servers.
    they are still around.

at the time Netware 6.5 was product of the year. Very good and stable.

i had one server stay up with no reboots or issues for nearly two years.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When DoD selected MS Exchange for messaging, that was the beginning of the end of Netware on military networks. You had to establish a Windows NT domain to run Exchange, which forced the choice of maintaining quasi-duplicate overlapping networks or ditching Novell and just running NT. For a short while there were straggler Novell file and print servers, but by 2000ish Novell was all but gone from the .mil.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have not seen Novell servers in a very long time (though I loved them..). Also, noone (at least in my area) asks for a Novell certification anymore..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....