Options

Possible Diablo III announcement due tommorow

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Knowing how Blizzard is always delayed with releasing sequels etc. I expect this not to be released until next year 4th quarter or in 2010 1st quarter, specially they are in development with releasing SC and WOW Expansion Pack, by the look of it, it's still in early stages of development, they have only showed 2 character. When the last D II was released it has about 8 playable characters, so yeah I think this will not come out soon.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    jbaello wrote:
    Knowing how Blizzard is always delayed with releasing sequels etc. I expect this not to be released until next year 4th quarter or in 2010 1st quarter, specially they are in development with releasing SC and WOW Expansion Pack, by the look of it, it's still in early stages of development, they have only showed 2 character. When the last D II was released it has about 8 playable characters, so yeah I think this will not come out soon.

Blizzard is all about hype.

WoWs MMO expansion was announced almost a year ago and still has no beta.

Oh and what ever happen to Starcraft Ghost?

"Development on StarCraft: Ghost began in 2001 under Nihilistic Software"

Diablo 3 is going to be great though :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ghost has been postponed indefinitely, unfortunately.

I read that they've been working on D3 for four years now, so it can't be more than 2 or 3 away icon_lol.gif

I still have no idea how they prevented even a single screen shot from leaking out. Someone should make a documentary about that.
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Hopefully the game'll come out in a few months.
    One of the best games I've played. I miss my Paladin.

Frostmourne hungers!!
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, this game so far looks gorgeous and insane. I never pre-order anything..but, I will pre-order this. It is about time, but good things come to those who wait.

I wonder what other char classes will be..think they will bring them all back..problably not likely..

I bet a ton of social life and sleep is out the door with many dedicated players eh? heheh ;)

-Rikku
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Ghost has been postponed indefinitely, unfortunately.

I read that they've been working on D3 for four years now, so it can't be more than 2 or 3 away icon_lol.gif

I still have no idea how they prevented even a single screen shot from leaking out. Someone should make a documentary about that.

This is the case, if you look at Diablo 3 website they got job openings speicifally for Diablo 3, they will still be needing more artists to finish the contents of this game, cause I could be wrong all their employees right now is overwelmed and tied up, with WOW and SC, and now Diablo 3 they will be needing more artists, to continue to deliver "Blizzard" games we have known, ofcourse the shareholders will be putting more pressure with the management of Blizz. So hopefully it can come out soon and be as good as D1 and D3.

I saw the trailer and it has Tyrael destroying the world stone, this would be really interesting, since we never found out what happened when he did destroyed it. I am also hoping that a movie gets created based on "D" :P
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    I hope D3's a one-time purchase with periodic expansions packs, like Guild Wars, and not a $40 box AND $15/month like WoW.

Hmmm...both D3 and WoW are from Blizzard. Uh-oh... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I hope D3's a one-time purchase with periodic expansions packs, like Guild Wars, and not a $40 box AND $15/month like WoW.

I don't see why they'd stray from the traditional Diablo / battlenet format.

With Starcraft II and Diablo III over the horizon battlenet is going to get really fun again.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

I don't see why they'd stray from the traditional Diablo / battlenet format.

With Starcraft II and Diablo III over the horizon battlenet is going to get really fun again.

They wont stray from it, they said it will be an improved battle net format, i doubt they will charge people a monthly fee to play multiplayer...at least I hope not.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    I'm sure some of the monthly fees in WoW support their infrastructure, but they also go to the development of additional content. They open up other areas, dungeons, additional quests, etc. There's a lot of new content between expansion packs. To be honest, I wouldn't mind paying a fee for that. I could come close to spending $15 at a 90 minute movie. A month of gaming really isn't that bad of a deal. The thing that bugs me about WoW is that it's so time consuming and repetitive.

I knew people that probably spent hundreds of ours running 40-man raids. They had amazing gear. Then the expansion came out, and the gear I found basically just walking around was on par or better than theirs. That's when I realized how ridiculous that game was and canceled my subscription. I have better things to do than run the same dungeon dozens of times in hopes of getting a piece of equipment (which will be made obsolete with the next expansion).

The quests kind of sucked too. Here's a comparison:

A typical Diablo quest: "Go kill this huge, nasty monster. It's going to destroy the world, and it will probably swallow your soul. You're our only hope though, so good luck."

A typical WoW quest: "Stand here and kill weak monsters until you get 20 of their skulls. They only spawn three at a time every five minutes and for some reason, only 10% of them have skulls. Hope you brought a book."
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    wow, after watching the gameplay trailer, I am impressed, the game looks amazing. I will definitely be getting the wife and me better computers when this game gets released.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote:
    The thing that bugs me about WoW is that it's so time consuming and repetitive.

Dynamik, you sir are a smart individual.

I use to play WoW back in the day and once I started to see important things in my life fall apart, my marrage, my schooling, and virtually every other aspect in my life, I decided enough was enough.

To be good at WoW you have to spend hours upon hours a day. I have a friend who plays over 12 hrs a day and has since the game came out and has basically thrown his life away.

No game should take that amount of time to be good at.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I could come close to spending $15 at a 90 minute movie. A month of gaming really isn't that bad of a deal. The thing that bugs me about WoW is that it's so time consuming and repetitive.
    The monthly fee doesn't work for me because I'll play a game for a month or two and then switch off to another for a couple of months. I don't want to be paying for a (Software as a) service that I'm not using.
    dynamik wrote:
    A typical WoW quest: "Stand here and kill weak monsters until you get 20 of their skulls. They only spawn three at a time every five minutes and for some reason, only 10% of them have skulls. Hope you brought a book."
    This is the standard plot for most quests in most MMORPGs. If D3 follows the MMORPG model then it with have WoW-like quests too. And D3 doesn't need to follow the Battle.net model if Blizzard believes that D3 as an MMORPG will be more profitable. Quake III Arena was a completely different concept from Quake and Quake 2 and it was quite successful.
  • Options
    I'll just finish a single campaign, play 2 or 3 characters, then seal it in my closet where it will collect dust, I am trying to avoid multiplayer campaign etc. cause I could be opening Pandoras box. The possibility of me playing with my GF would be nice as well, but be careful, this games are extremely addicting just like WOW. Remember you gotta finish that certs.
  • Options
    Aldur wrote:
    No game should take that amount of time to be good at.

I think that's the part that bothers me the most. I could have 10 times the skill of someone, and they'd completely annihilate me because they're able to put 80 hours a week into it. That's also why I've stopped playing a lot of the newer FPS games where you level/rank up in those.

JD, you realize you can cancel and resume your subscription at any time, right? It's easy to take a couple of months off. My wife and I did that when things got busy with school. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of subscription pricing; I just don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I do wish they'd have more flexible plans though, where you could play a little bit i.e. $5 for 20 hours or something.

There's no way D3 is going to be an MMO like WoW. They've kept the same 3/4 overhead view, and if you watch the gameplay, it's clearly not geared for it. It's going to be nearly impossible to keep track of things with just eight people. I'd be surprised if they even bump it up to 12 or 16. It would be interesting if they went the Guild Wars route though. If you're not familiar with that, all the people on the server can interact in town (trade, party up, etc.), but then the groups go into their own instance of the game once they leave town to quest.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that's the part that bothers me the most. I could have 10 times the skill of someone, and they'd completely annihilate me because they're able to put 80 hours a week into it. That's also why I've stopped playing a lot of the newer FPS games where you level/rank up in those.

That was the same feeling for me around 2000. Right around the time Q3 and UT2 and D2 was in full swing, I just got tired of "trying to keep" up with the "latest tricks" and level details and the half-a second rocket jumping or having to memorize each specific map detail/angle..etc..etc.

Blah, Blah...big deal. The whole reason I got into gaming was simply for the fun of it. When it becomes nothing but a competition..its not really fun anymore. I mean, competition/strategy is a factor and it has it's place....but should not be the sole category.

For me, half the time I start playing a new game..its like..wow..this is neat or that is so cool and look at those effects...and then...halfway through the game..my mind starts to pickup the patterns, the repetitive aspects..and I go...ahh..thats all there is too it. The level designs start to also follow a pattern (like in Hellgate London) and next thing I know..I'm bored and I am not sure I have the desire to finish the damn game.

I think some game companies/developers are starting down the path of creativity and inginuity. I mean, it is really hard to come out with a winning formula where, you would want to play through the game a second time or spend hours with making new discoveries. I love to get into my games and complete them if I can. Then I can put them away and break them out again later. But, usually, there are so many new games (and platforms) comming out..you just get lost or cannot keep up. I guess then it is good to be picky as you get older to what you spend your time with.

On the people losing there lives to games....I have seen others have the same issues. I have seen guys lock themselves into thier rooms/homes and pretty much loose touch with reality...I guess it is similiar to the internet/social interaction psychosis issues that are also going on in the Y/Z generation(s). (i.e. texting eachother or chatting online rather then interacting face to face..) I would have more fun playing in a LAN party in the SAME room with say dynamik and his group then across the globe in the same game...know what I mean?

-Rikku
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The one thing I like about Diablo 3 is that it is not an MMO and won't require $15 every month. I used to play WOW and the game really sucks you in due to the vast persistent world with thousands of players and raid dungeons that never ends. I stopped playing WOW because of the huge time sinks and the never ending gameplay. That's great for some, but I don't want to put the time into a game like that.

It will definitely be nice to be able to play a new Blizzard game. Especially since I loved the earlier Diablo games. I can't wait to start my Barbarian. I already even have the name picked out. I had two Barbarian's in Diablo 2. One was level 97 and one was level 98. The reason why is because in Diablo 2, you can't reset your skills. Since it was my first barb, I made quite a few mistakes. After playing with my 1st Barb, and then playing and talking with others and understanding the mechanics of the Barbarian class as well as PvP'ing other classes, and reading guides, I re-created a new Barbarian the way I wanted. Hopefully Blizzard allows you to somehow reset the skills so you're not stuck forever.

It would also be nice if you could unlock maps, purchase maps, etc... Many people in Diablo 2 used maphacks due to the tedious nature of having to bother with moving around maps to show the terrain every time you start a new map.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    royal wrote:
    I stopped playing WOW because of the huge time sinks and the never ending gameplay.

+1

Then I picked up Eve-Online and never looked back :)

Cancelled EVE subscription last year because I didn't want to pay for the rare few hour playing sessions and since then haven't been gaming at all.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't read too much into Diablo III but I hope they actually implemented some new things.

Starcraft II is disappointing to me. I don't see a single new addition that another RTS hasn't already done. Take a look at THQ dawn of war games, they are a BETTER *gasp* remake of the starcraft games. I'm just sad I wasn't ever able to find a Dawn of War partner like I was able to find 100 people playing starcraft.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Did you see this: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/28/news-from-the-starcraft-ii-panel-at-the-blizzard-invitational/

I don't keep up with a lot of others, so I'm not sure if that means anything to you or not.
  • Options
    Here's a ton of Diablo 3 info: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=909

I came across some new stuff I hadn't seen before.

Also, they're working on another unannounced MMO: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53406

WoW 2? World of Starcraft?
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    dynamik wrote:
    Here's a ton of Diablo 3 info: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=909

I came across some new stuff I hadn't seen before.

Also, they're working on another unannounced MMO: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53406

WoW 2? World of Starcraft?

Whatever it is we won't see it until 2020 icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    It's got Battle.net and look, sounds, and feel in the spirit of D2. OK, now I am satisfied and very happy. :D

Hmmm...what's the best AGP graphics card you can currently buy? I can't afford a whole new machine now, but upgrading the graphics card and giving my wife the old one (and her own copy of D3) would do.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    It's got Battle.net and look, sounds, and feel in the spirit of D2. OK, now I am satisfied and very happy. :D

Hmmm...what's the best AGP graphics card you can currently buy? I can't afford a whole new machine now, but upgrading the graphics card and giving my wife the old one (and her own copy of D3) would do.

3850 seems like the the newest card, not quite sure about the performance.

Seems like Nvidia decided to stop making cards at the 7 series for AGP.
  • Options
    Talic wrote:
    3850 seems like the the newest card, not quite sure about the performance.
    I've been doing some research on what's left of the AGP card market and it looks like the 3850 is currently the best AGP bang for the buck, even over the 3870. I've just ordered a Sapphire HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP. It's on a $20 rebate special at NewEgg until 7/1/08. I've also ordered an Antec NeoPower 650 PSU, which is an approved power supply for the 3850. I'll upgrade my wife's machine with my old ATI X850 Pro and Antec TruePower 550. That'll be a serious upgrade for her.
  • Options
    Lots of Diablo fans are protesting because the game is not dark enough.

http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

The biggest thing I agree with is the weapons and armor as they closely mimic the WoW craziness meaning in a real world they would be unusable (imagine your spiky shoulder pads piercing throuhg your jaw. Not cool!).

You may learn something!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html <
    Anyone who is part of this is destined to never get laid :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    After seeing this

http://i31.tinypic.com/2zta5o7.jpg

I kind of see a lot of WoW texturing and color in the screenshot. I also see how the darker colors would simply hide that WoW texture making it look better.

So I think I agree that they should have not let the WoW graphics artists design this game. They should have went with a richer environment and color is okay. Nothing to freak about.

I need to try and play titan quest with a group of people and see if it is just as fun.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Yea, lets delay the game by months so all the textures can be reworked. Where do I sign up icon_rolleyes.gif

You'll be able to adjust the brightness and/or gamma, so just crank it down if it bothers you that much. It's easy to criticize since we're just watching it, but I doubt all of this is going to be too noticeable once you're participating in the battle.