Any fellow SNES gamers?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote:
    What can I say? I spent most of my childhood rotting in front of the television, but at least I worked up my hand-eye coordination. icon_lol.gif

You weren't the only one!
    Slowhand wrote:
    Now, for the real hardcore EB fans. . . what flavor was your menu screen?

It's kind of sad. I really don't remember a lot of stuff like this from my SNES days. I think I got an SNES when I was 9. You're a few years older than me, if I remember right. Part of me wants to go back and play some of these older games that I have fond memories of, and the other part of me wants to just leave them as memories.

I downloaded Breath of Fire 2 on my Wii, and I just couldn't get into it, but I remember it being awesome when I originally played it. At this point, I probably couldn't tell you too much about Illusion of Gaia except that it is one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I ever had.

The only games that have really drawn me in lately have been Bioshock and Mass Effect, and the last one before those was probably FFX.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There is one thing I have to say about Chrono Trigger, and this was something I laughed about back in 1995 as well.

The cover-art always killed me. While Akira Toriyama is a great artist, I always found that particular image ironic and hilarious. Marle casting a fire spell, and Crono appearing in a snow level. . . which would be Death Peak, the only "snow level" in the game and the only place you HAVE to go without him. (Yup, I'm that big of a geek.) icon_lol.gif

Chrono_Trigger.jpg

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    dynamik wrote:
    It's kind of sad. I really don't remember a lot of stuff like this from my SNES days. I think I got an SNES when I was 9. You're a few years older than me, if I remember right. Part of me wants to go back and play some of these older games that I have fond memories of, and the other part of me wants to just leave them as memories.

We're not too far off in age, if I remember correctly. I'll give you a hint: I was 13 when Chrono Trigger was released. As for remembering details, there are two reasons for that. I have a pretty good memory for things I actually give a damn about. . . and, I also re-played Earthbound as recently as six months ago. icon_lol.gif

Ok. So we're either the same age or I'm up to a year older. That says a lot about my memory right there icon_eek.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I need to snag earthbound from my in laws house. I would like to replay that again.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll confess to having never played Earthbound. The premise never grabbed my interest whatsoever.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    dynamik wrote:
    Ok. So we're either the same age or I'm up to a year older. That says a lot about my memory right there
    Makes you feel ancient, doesn't it? Your average 16 year old these days doesn't know who Darkwing Duck or Invader Zim are, but can tell you all too much about Hannah Montana. As Technomancer said to me the other day: "Rep, we're getting old. In our lifetimes, we've seen the coming and the going of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. . . twice!"

undomiel wrote:
    I'll confess to having never played Earthbound. The premise never grabbed my interest whatsoever.
    Blasphemer! We'll be handing you over to Master Belch. icon_lol.gif

I loved the TMNT arcade game. Played that for my birthday once with a group of friends. Quartered our way all the way to the end and were fighting Krang when closing time hit and boom they shut off the power to everything. Oh man did that tick me off!
    undomiel wrote:
    I loved the TMNT arcade game. Played that for my birthday once with a group of friends. Quartered our way all the way to the end and were fighting Krang when closing time hit and boom they shut off the power to everything. Oh man did that tick me off!
    Between the TMNT arcade came and the Simpsons arcade game, I blew away more quarters than I care to remember.

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never played Illusion of Gaia, but I recognize the box art. I think my brother bought it but I never tried it...d'oh!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    Slowhand wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Between the TMNT arcade came and the Simpsons arcade game, I blew away more quarters than I care to remember.

Don't forget the X-Men arcade game!

I actually have all those arcade games on my PC :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I actually have all those arcade games on my PC :)

Hail the goodness that is MAME? :)

I wasted a bunch of quarters on X-Men and Simpsons as well, but not as much as TMNT. I was all about the turtle power!
    Speaking of fond childhood memories, did anyone ever go to a BattleTech Center?
    undomiel wrote:
    Speaking of fond childhood memories, did anyone ever go to a BattleTech Center?

Can't say that I have.

Seems like quite a few of us are around the same age...anyone remember these bad boys?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boglin
    That's right, I played the X-Men game a lot, too. That, and Revolution X stole a lot of allowance money from me.

I think a few friends at school had 'em but I never was particularly interested in the boglins. When not playing video games I had my head buried in a book, which yes included a number of AD&D handbooks.
    Slowhand wrote:
    That's right, I played the X-Men game a lot, too. That, and Revolution X stole a lot of allowance money from me.

What's funny is that my bro and I went to a local bar we visit often and the bar just recently bought the old X-Men arcade game. We flew to it and played through the entire game while our girlfriends were at the bar drinking. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Anyone play either of the D&D arcade games from Capcom? On an actual arcade unit?
    Never got into Boglins, but I did have the Ghostbusters figures, the model of Ecto-1, and the firehouse playset. I liked the cartoon, hated the video games, LOVED the movies. In fact, Technomancer and I had a moment of nostalgia one day, walking around down in Palo Alto. We decided to go up to the Stanford campus and walk around, and we heard a gleeclub/chorus/a capella group sitting along a stairway up to some library doors singing "Higher and Higher". We both thought of Ghostbusters II, laughed, and walked on. Of course, our eyebrows shot up as we got a little further along, and the group began doing a vocal version of the Ghostbusters themesong. icon_eek.gif

BeaverC32 wrote:

Will someone explain to me why this never went to a console?

It probably would have been cheaper for me to just by the machine.

How about the Simpons arcade game? I spent a ton on that too.
    dynamik wrote:
    BeaverC32 wrote:

Will someone explain to me why this never went to a console?

It probably would have been cheaper for me to just by the machine.

How about the Simpons arcade game? I spent a ton on that too.
    They were both available on the SNES. . . as terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE ports. Just think back to how well the TMNT arcade game translated to the NES, and you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Alright, since we're all talking about how much money we wasted on these games. . . how about a little free entertainment instead?

• AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I have no time to research but is CT made by Bandai? Those cartoons look just like Dragon Ball GT
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
    Same concept artist, Akira Toriyama.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    undomiel wrote:
    Same concept artist, Akira Toriyama.

THX.

Time to craiglist for a cheap DS cause I been wanting to play the Castlevania series as well.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I heard a Gamestop employee ask a customer once if Chrono trigger had a cartoon (DBZ).

:D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    There is a Chrono Trigger OVA but that's pretty much it. It rather sucked too.
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Amazing game.

I have the piano sheet music book; to me the music was the most amazing part of that game.
    I used to run the internet.