Options

Sitting BSCI tomorrow morning (UPDATE: PASSED..finally)

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Woke up early, since I had a customer calling me asking me for help..nothing like some early morning troubleshooting. Sounds like an opportunity to grab a bite to eat, and review IPv6 in the parking lot of the testing center!! Wish me luck...T-minus 1 1/2 hrs!!

good luck!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man, i hope you do it
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck dude!
  • Options
    JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    good luck mate
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Good luck to you!!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ahhhh!! Failed...744. I'm not down at all, more frustrated because I know I'm so close. I flew through the sims, I'd say the biggest things that got me were shockingly DHCP (4-5 questions I think..that's way more than last time), and some summary stuff.

I was surprised, 35 questions in, and not ONE sim..then what...2 of em, back to back. Thankfully those were cake but, come on!

Here's my breakdown:

Implement EIGRP Operations: 55% (ouch..)

Implement multiarea OSPF operations 60% (Surprising, because OSPF is one of my strong points. I think my issue here was more with attention to detail, since I may have been overconfident in OSPF)

Describe Integrated IS-IS: 71% (was 15% last time..big improvement..)

Implement Cisco IOS Routing features: 60%..I think this was the DHCP section...

Implement BGP for enterprise connectivity: 72%..I felt confident with BGP implementation. If anything, I just need to read on BGP more, since the questions I probably missed were regarding message types and whatnot.

Implement multicast forwarding: 75%...up from 33% last time..

Implement IPv6: 50%...no change. I didn't study IPv6 between now and last time at all, other than cramming a bit last night, and then before the test...mistake.

I'm pretty confident I suppose. I felt like I really new my stuff on IS-IS/Mcast/BGP, so I think I should be ready to go in a week or two. I'm going to hit the books again, and in a day or two I'll decide if I need one or two weeks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That is too bad, but I guess you knew you were not very well prepared.

I'd suggest just studying until you are ready rather then setting time lines.

Good luck on the next attempt when ever it may be!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck on that next one!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    DefendingNetworksDefendingNetworks Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry. I know you will pass it. I think you know where your weak points are and will do a lot better next time.
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    The BSCI is a temptress, no? I'm confident your subsequent attempts at luring her will prove fruitful.
  • Options
    Unlucky man,

But serious i would follow networkers advice - only go for it when you feel ready.

• Options
    Thanks guys. Only issue about just going when I feel ready is..I will never feel ready. I have to go back to work for a couple of hrs today, but I will be hitting the books as soon as I get off.

On the bright side, I've done some of my best studying since beginning the CCNP track.

Edit: And..my work gave me the rest of the day off..so I'm going to hit EIGRP with a vengeance.
  • Options
    OK,

im the same i never feel ready but realistically deep down i know im ready when i read the book and nothing really phases me or catches me off guard etc.

Could you read the bsci study guide and say that? going from your other posts its doubtful.

besides whats the rush?

• Options
    I didn't even want to take the test today...I wanted to take it in about 2 weeks. BUT...I took it for free with the second chance promotion.

So, it was a free practice test. I ask you then..why not?

I would say there is no rush, but I'd be lying. I'm highly motivated, and want to make a quality life for myself. My goal has been to get the CCNP before my 23rd birthday. It was originally before my 22nd, but I passed that up, and here goes, the 23rd creeping up on me.
  • Options
    So, it was a free practice test. I ask you then..why not?

I can understand for the free retake but to take the exam initially when you werent ready icon_scratch.gif

Its upto you at the end of the day but imo i just think you are rushing slightly and if your rushing it you clearly dont know the material well enough - as seen by your exam results. So ultimately you arent learning the material and you will suffer in the long term as a result as i assume you dont work with this on a daily basis? This is why i think you just slow down and dont rush into the next one.

I know you'll come back and get it the third time round and i really hope you do mate.

• Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try to relax and not impose artificial deadlines on yourself. Understanding the BSCI material is highly important and attempting it (especially after a first attempt) without really getting a good understanding of the material will lead to more frustration....

Good luck on the next attempt and ask questions on here if you are unclear on certain concepts. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I know what you're saying, but I want to re-iterate what I said in a previous thread...

My test voucher was expiring for the BSCI, on October 3rd. I took the test October 2nd since it was like..lose $150, or give it a shot? Obviously I figured I might as well get a glimpse of what I was in for. That's all. This attempt today was my first true attempt, so yeah.

I actually do work with this stuff on a daily basis- to an extent. Our network is migrating to Foundry IPv6 stuff..(from all cisco IPv4)..and I do mostly layer 2 work. I deal with a fair amount of multicasting on a daily basis as well. Some of the stuff applies, some doesn't. Probably why I was able to get a 711 on my first attempt with no studying.

I will get it next time for sure..it's not even a question. I do appreciate the advice.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You are now in good company. It took me three times to pass the BSCI. What helped me the most was Chris Bryant's material, I purchased it after the second failure, while I was ready to git it up. I purchased his complete CCNP track, and once I started reading it, I found 3 or four areas where I know I missed questions on the exam.

Good luck, and it sounds like you still have a great attitude.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    miller811 wrote:
    You are now in good company. It took me three times to pass the BSCI. What helped me the most was Chris Bryant's material, I purchased it after the second failure, while I was ready to git it up. I purchased his complete CCNP track, and once I started reading it, I found 3 or four areas where I know I missed questions on the exam.

Good luck, and it sounds like you still have a great attitude.

Im with Miller811 here, after failing I did use my friends copy of the Train Signal (Bryant) material to study the things I was weak in again and it paid off. Chris uses a nice lecture/lab back and forth format. You will pass it, and you won't be the only one taking more than two tries to do so! It is a tuff test. Also, the DHCP thing ya I wouldn't have expected that on the exam either. I never was quized heavily on it.

Take a break man, Im 26 and just starting the CCNP track so at 23 your already ahead of me at least.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    I appreciate the words guys. I hate failure, but it drives me harder, so it's a blessing in disguise I guess. Really it's not about "being ahead of" anyone or anything. It's more of just me pushing myself harder and harder. I thrive on pressure, and always have to be engaged in something. ADD is a biotch.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Mrock, what are your study sources?

When you find something particulary hard to grasp I think it is a very good idea to change sources, sometimes a deeper study get things done. In this case, i think checking out Routing TCP/IP Vol.I cant hurt you.

I am stuying fo the BSCI and reading the forums and seeing so many fails is a scary. I know this is a bunch of committed smart guys. This must be a tough test but you'll definitely get it the next time!

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    AlexMR wrote:
    Mrock, what are your study sources?

When you find something particulary hard to grasp I think it is a very good idea to change sources, sometimes a deeper study get things done. In this case, i think checking out Routing TCP/IP Vol.I cant hurt you.

I am stuying fo the BSCI and reading the forums and seeing so many fails is a scary. I know this is a bunch of committed smart guys. This must be a tough test but you'll definitely get it the next time!

Good luck.

Currently, the BSCI study guide, Doyle's TCP/IP Volume I, and the CCIE R&S Cert guide, along with CBT nuggets to supplement it all. Generally I begin reading, lab things as I go to experiment, then go back to reading. When something comes along that is confusing, I check Doyle's TCP/IP first, and if it's not there, then the CCIE R&S guide.

I know my test scores say otherwise, but I'm not having a hard time grasping the material, I just haven't given myself the time to commit it all to memory, you know? I literally began studying for the BSCI 3 1/2 weeks ago. I am promising I will pass on the next go. Now that the second chance is out of the way, I am tentatively setting a date (without actually scheduling it), and will adjust as necessary based on how comfortable I feel when the time comes. I'm not shooting to just pass, but I'd rather do better than the minimum. By just barely passing, I'll be screwing myself when I move onto other certs, I think. Of course, a pass is a bass, but, we shall see.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I understand not taking the exam when you feel you might be able to pass without feeling 100% about the material. I did that with the CCNA and I honestly dont want to do it with the CCNP, because i need the certification in order to achieve my career change. I took the CCNA without being well prepared in WAN links. I passed but Ive found myself studying from the CCNA book while studying BSCI. That shouldnt be necessary if one take the exam well prepared. Also, i really cant afford to fail a 200USD exam.

If you had only been studying for 3.5weeks the scores are understandable. This is supposed to be the hardest exam of the CCNP, it sure doesnt sound like a walk in the park.

I havent published my goals in terms of timeframe but they are kinda wicked, to say the least. I have over 20hours of study under my belt now and I started last thursday, a couple hours after i passed the ICND2.

Im sure you will get it next time, just give it some time to sink in.

Best wishes!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    try the bsci lab guide
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    kryolla wrote:
    try the bsci lab guide

I would agree on that....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Passed finally. 877 was my final score. I don't have my score sheet on me, but I got a 100% on IS-IS, and 80-85 on most of the other sections, which makes sense..I studied the hell out of IS-IS, because my first attempt I got a 14% on it. Got a 75% on multicasting, which I think was the same as my last attempt. Not too bad. I was kinda pissed that I got hit with my 2nd sim on question #57..hah....

Third time is a charm!!

FWIW, I did nothing differently this attempt, just a lot of late night study sessions (and red bull). I have been averaging 4-6 cans of red bull per night. My schedule for the last 2 weeks has been work, come home, eat, study till approx 3am, wake up at 8am, go to work, repeat. Since my last failure (one week ago), I reread the entire BSCI book, which helped a TON..it really saved me..

I also watched Jeremy Ciora's outstanding BGP Theory CBT nugget this morning before the test, to make sure I was sharp on that stuff.

I now get a week off until I begin on the next exam...this time I'm not scheduling that sucker for a good 4-6 weeks..at least..

Almost forgot..I did do one thing different. I was on my way out the door, and I noticed I've inadvertently worn the same blue shirt to each failure prior to this. I promptly changed shirts and success was inevitable..
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome man. Congrats. Now kick me in the ass and hit repeat until I get this monkey off my back....
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Congrats!

Way to persevere.
    Lab first, ask questions later