Options

A quadruple CCIE

13»

Comments

• Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Michael Purcell is a sextuple CCIE. Perhaps the only one. I'll bet he gets mobbed at Cisco events.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    It's probably just a hobby for him. If he continually chips away at them over the years, it really doesn't seem that hard to obtain. It's not like he got them all in 18 months.

Scott's been a good friend of mine since 2001. He's a fine operator. He basically spent an incredible amount of personal time following the various tracks and hit 4 CCIEs at a time when no one outside of Cisco had done so. He was hired by mentortech and went on to IPexpert.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to belittle his accomplishments. I was responding to the people who were accusing him of having no life. The point I was making was that if you were to spend an hour or two each day working with Cisco gear instead of playing video games or watching TV, you'd go quite far over time. It seems like something he enjoys and does for fun.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to belittle his accomplishments. I was responding to the people who were accusing him of having no life. The point I was making was that if you were to spend an hour or two each day working with Cisco gear instead of playing video games or watching TV, you'd go quite far over time. It seems like something he enjoys and does for fun.

Hey that's fine..no misunderstanding here. What I would say though is that you have to have the goods no matter how many hours you put in as many fine network engineers who have put in insane hours to get the CCIE only to fall short will attest. Scott certainly has the goods!
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if I ever see a ccie i am seriously gonna get my pic taken.

2.5 million dollar home lab seriously though ? can you imagine how much this guy is making !
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    CCIE2BCCIE2B Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My best friend is a Quad CCIE as well. He is the most Humble CCIE I have met in my life.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    pooker wrote: »
    if I ever see a ccie i am seriously gonna get my pic taken.
    Since I started working in a networking office the "omg he's a CCIE" loses its "charm" because everyone's a CCIE :p

It's when you hear about them getting their 3rd+ that it's like, damn he's good and they bring in cake :p
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Once you meet a lot of IE's you start to realize that it says more about their determination than their actual technical skill. The same with any other certification for that matter.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thetrillionairethetrillionaire Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have heard many times that there is a guy here at Cisco who holds 6 CCIE'S.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Michael Purcell holds 6, dont know if he's Cisco.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy ****! 6?!
  • Options
    thetrillionairethetrillionaire Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [h=1]Neil Moore has 6.[/h]
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't worry about how many CCIEs you hold, worry about being good at the one you need for your preferred career path. Getting multiples is a hell of an achievement but in most cases it's an academic one. I know a few multiple IEs and have tremendous respect for them but they are not IE level experts in all the fields they have under their belt, that's humanly impossible. I got on this bandwagon a few years back and started down the RS track, picked up every bit of related Cisco Press and INE material in existence and was doing the CCNP exams along the way and then realised I was just doing it to...well...do it. I like Infosec, it's my career path, while extra RS knowledge helps it's not critical to what I do and can be picked up as needed. It would give me bigger bragging rights and look a little better on the resume but real-world it would have impacted my InfoSec knowledge too much imho, or in reverse I would have achieved it and then let it slide. Personally I'd say if you hold an IE in a field and want to do more then look at other vendors in the same field, increase your skillset within that domain to include interoperability with non-Cisco equipment, it will likely be of more value to your employer (which will hopefully be of more value to you come review time :) ).
    Just my $.02
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Don't worry about how many CCIEs you hold, worry about being good at the one you need for your preferred career path. Getting multiples is a hell of an achievement but in most cases it's an academic one. I know a few multiple IEs and have tremendous respect for them but they are not IE level experts in all the fields they have under their belt, that's humanly impossible. I got on this bandwagon a few years back and started down the RS track, picked up every bit of related Cisco Press and INE material in existence and was doing the CCNP exams along the way and then realised I was just doing it to...well...do it. I like Infosec, it's my career path, while extra RS knowledge helps it's not critical to what I do and can be picked up as needed. It would give me bigger bragging rights and look a little better on the resume but real-world it would have impacted my InfoSec knowledge too much imho, or in reverse I would have achieved it and then let it slide. Personally I'd say if you hold an IE in a field and want to do more then look at other vendors in the same field, increase your skillset within that domain to include interoperability with non-Cisco equipment, it will likely be of more value to your employer (which will hopefully be of more value to you come review time :) ).
    Just my $.02

After a while it becomes a game to get more IEs. When the wireless track got started, who were the first ones to sign up for the bootcamp? The very same people in the list below. They did not work with wireless or had much wireless experience, they simply wanted to beat the new track.

CCIE #4110 - MICHAEL PURCELL (6,Routing and Switching, ISP Dial, SNA IP, Security, Service Provider, Voice)
    CCIE #4699 - NORITAKA TAMEHISA (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Service Provider, Voice, Storage Networking, Wireless)
    CCIE #6684 - FABIEN DEGOUET (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Voice, Service Provider, Wireless, Storage Networking)
    CCIE #7707 - TARUN PAHUJA (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Service Provider, Voice, Storage Networking, Wireless)
    CCIE #7927 - ROMAN RODICHEV (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Voice, Storage Networking, Service Provider, Wireless)
    CCIE #10044 - NEIL MOORE (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Service Provider, Voice, Storage Networking, Wireless)
    CCIE #14533 - MATTHEW WHITE (6,Routing and Switching, Security, Voice, Service Provider, Storage Networking, Wireless)

7 people today with 6 CCIEs and like you said its not very likely they are currently on expert level on these topics anymore. But they're damn good at this game.