3 months to go!

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
Well Cisco is now $1400 richer with my lab payed for under the 90 day policy. The exam is booked for January 28th and as of now that cannot be changed.

Thought I would start up a thread to give people and idea of where I am, and where I am going. This won't be close to as detailed as Turgon's but I hope to help someone out there someday ;)


So where am I at.

Passed written in June after finishing my CCNP a couple of months earlier. Been working through Internetworkexpert's material since then. There wasn't any major reason I choose them, other than maybe price. I have the CoD (class on demand), audio classes, vol 1-3 workbooks, and more than enough rack rental tokens. I also have a home lab (6 routers, 2 switches), but I don't use it for much more than single technology practice. Also have all the standard Cisco Press books.


After the written I started into Vol 1. In retrospect I wish I started with the CoD, as they as awesome, but I didn't get into them intill I was into the Vol 2 labs. Vol 1 is a good way to get into the IOS more. So far everything has been 90% reading, 10% configs, and this was a good way to get in flipped around. Yes you still need the theory, but if you don't know how to implement it, its useless.



At this point I have done all the vol 1 labs, 9 of the 20 vol 2 labs, and about 5 vol 3 labs. I have also been through all of the CoD, and started going through them again but taking notes this time (again wish I did this before). I use the audio classes sometimes on the bike on the way to work, although they are a little basic for me now. If I had to guess, I would say I have about 250hrs on the racks so far, and a few hundred more between reading/CoD. I also work exclusively with Cisco IOS at work, so that helps too.


I would LIKE to get through the rest of Vol 2 by the end of the year. I have 3 weeks leading up to the exam date booked off of work as well, which I am not sure how to spend. Probably redo some labs, focusing on my weak sections (damn multicast and QoS).



Anyway, the countdown is on. Found a decent hotel in San Jose, staying 2 nights so I don't have to worry about travel during the exam.
«134

Comments

  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck and looking forward to seeing how your study progresses!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, it sounds like we're going to have a lot more CCIEs here in a few months.

    Good luck!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

    Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • AhriakinAhriakin SupremeNetworkOverlord Member Posts: 1,800 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was reading your posts in Turgon's diary and wondered when you'd make this official :). Best of luck and it sounds like you're already pretty far down the road to success anyway.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    good luck mate. i was up in the early hours checking rates for ccie's to get myself motivated on the long road to ccie!

    maybe you could list your intention on the 2007 thread. it'd be good to have a definitive list of people attempting and passing ccie over the years.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck! I hope that one day I will start my own thread like this for climbing the CCIE Mt.Everest! :D
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,313
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Well Cisco is now $1400 richer with my lab payed for under the 90 day policy. The exam is booked for January 28th and as of now that cannot be changed.

    Thought I would start up a thread to give people and idea of where I am, and where I am going. This won't be close to as detailed as Turgon's but I hope to help someone out there someday ;)


    So where am I at.

    Passed written in June after finishing my CCNP a couple of months earlier. Been working through Internetworkexpert's material since then. There wasn't any major reason I choose them, other than maybe price. I have the CoD (class on demand), audio classes, vol 1-3 workbooks, and more than enough rack rental tokens. I also have a home lab (6 routers, 2 switches), but I don't use it for much more than single technology practice. Also have all the standard Cisco Press books.


    After the written I started into Vol 1. In retrospect I wish I started with the CoD, as they as awesome, but I didn't get into them intill I was into the Vol 2 labs. Vol 1 is a good way to get into the IOS more. So far everything has been 90% reading, 10% configs, and this was a good way to get in flipped around. Yes you still need the theory, but if you don't know how to implement it, its useless.



    At this point I have done all the vol 1 labs, 9 of the 20 vol 2 labs, and about 5 vol 3 labs. I have also been through all of the CoD, and started going through them again but taking notes this time (again wish I did this before). I use the audio classes sometimes on the bike on the way to work, although they are a little basic for me now. If I had to guess, I would say I have about 250hrs on the racks so far, and a few hundred more between reading/CoD. I also work exclusively with Cisco IOS at work, so that helps too.


    I would LIKE to get through the rest of Vol 2 by the end of the year. I have 3 weeks leading up to the exam date booked off of work as well, which I am not sure how to spend. Probably redo some labs, focusing on my weak sections (damn multicast and QoS).

    Good luck. Racktime every day if you can get it! ;)


    Anyway, the countdown is on. Found a decent hotel in San Jose, staying 2 nights so I don't have to worry about travel during the exam.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Woohooo the more CCIE's on here the better for everyone!!!

    Good luck Rob :) Look forward to joining this quest soon!!!

    CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Good Luck what books from the CCIE recommended list have you read. Also have you done any mock labs. According to IE a majority of people that can do a full scale lab way under 8 hours and not have to wait until the last minute still doing configs, verification, etc will pass on their first attempt. I was shooting for Q4 next year but I don't know if I will even be ready. I have a lot of reading to do from the list although I am not going to read all the recommended books and I am going to try and do mock labs under 6 hours then I know I will be ready.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Thanks guys! The pressure is starting to sink in!


    As for books, I enjoy Routing TCP vol 1, implementing BGP, the OSPF command handbook (its amazing how many commands there are for this protocol!), and I also recently picked up the QoS exam guide. Also have been reading through the SNPA exam guide, for some security help.

    That being said, I usually goto the internet/cisco.com if there is something specific I need clarification on.


    I haven't done a graded mock lab, but I have done almost 10 full '8hr' labs now. My speed does not feel like it would be a problem. I usually take more than 8hrs as I like to take breaks for lunch/dinner and such, but the actual configs go quick. However, sometimes I get into trouble with a mis-config on BGP or something silly, and I spend an hour trying to fix it. Its usually a typo but it really costs me.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    GT-Rob congrats on paying for the test, (I don't have to pay till 12/12 for mine)

    * I know i am spending the whole month of FEB just working on speed drill's. And I am taking off 3 week's before the test to do nothing but graded labs/speed drills...getting up at 7:00 and starting at 8:00 .. that whole thing.

    Well good luck and tell me how the trip to Cali is...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    GT-Rob congrats on paying for the test, (I don't have to pay till 12/12 for mine)

    * I know i am spending the whole month of FEB just working on speed drill's. And I am taking off 3 week's before the test to do nothing but graded labs/speed drills...getting up at 7:00 and starting at 8:00 .. that whole thing.

    Well good luck and tell me how the trip to Cali is...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Yeah I am still not sure if I am going to take a graded lab yet. The original plan was to take one in December, then pay or move back the test based on those results. Now I am stuck on my date no matter what, so I am not sure if a graded mock lab will do me any good (other than boost or destroy my confidence).

    I mean, I have 20 full 'mock' labs already. I know what my weak areas are strong areas already are.

    I MAY take the cisco assessor lab though, just to see how they do things. I imagine it would be a good representation of the real deal.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck on the lab!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,183
    Good luck- rock on! :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

    __________________________________________
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    (Leonardo da Vinci)
  • pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    Good luck with your lab Rob !

    I'm in the same trip as you, 31 days to go :D
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Still going strong. Have moved away from full labs for a little to do specific components at a time to try and really solidify somethings.


    My home office has turned into a bunch of routers underneath used starbucks cups. God I can't wait to be done with this exam lol
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Still going strong. Have moved away from full labs for a little to do specific components at a time to try and really solidify somethings.

    My home office has turned into a bunch of routers underneath used starbucks cups. God I can't wait to be done with this exam lol

    Just imagine that when it is all done and over, you can build your own castle with all the starbucks cups and declare victory! :D Keep it up dude! Good to hear progress. :)
  • AhriakinAhriakin SupremeNetworkOverlord Member Posts: 1,800 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A bit behind the times but I re-read one of your earlier posts where you mentioned reading the SNPA for some security. I have no idea how much security is emphasized in R&S but the best 'summary' books I've come across are The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide, Cisco Router Firewall Security and The Cisco Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook. They probably have more info than you need but they cover the core knowledge for all the main devices.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I was VERY close to buying Cisco Router Firewall Security not long ago, but figured it would be over kill.

    I friend at work recommend a booked called the "best damn firewall book". Covers a lot of vendors, but I think I might get it anyway since I come across a lot of non-cisco security devices in my job.


    R&S doesn't go much father than CBAC, reflexive ACLs, and other options like storm control etc. 802.1x and other stuff like AAA as well.
  • AhriakinAhriakin SupremeNetworkOverlord Member Posts: 1,800 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have that book too, haven't had time to get to it though.
    Yeah each would be more than you need but at the same time it also means you wouldn't be left short of key knowledge. if you have a good grasp of the actual technologies and just need help with implementation/troubleshooting then the Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook is probably your best bet, again much more than you need but it's also great as a reference for just picking out specific technologies and digging in. It's the one paper-book I'll be bringing with me on the trip to the lab.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 777
    Wish ya luck rob, I'm aiming for late July 2009 myself ^_^
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Ya I was just talking to someone at work how there is about 5 books now that I would LIKE to read, to become better at my job and just because I enjoy the material, but can't justify the time.


    I would like to get into CVOICE and CCNA voice
    I would love to learn the pix/asa and security appliances overall much more
    I need to learn juniper (maybe get my jncia)
    I should learn more about MPLS


    All of which is not going to help much for the lab, and is time I can't afford to spend right now. Maybe some day lol For now, I have 24hrs of rack time over the next 2 days.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    T-minus 2 months left now! Starting to get a bit nervous for it.

    Finished lab #14 today. Hoping to get through the last 6 in December which leaves me a month to do a couple again, and focus on my weak areas.
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Ya I was just talking to someone at work how there is about 5 books now that I would LIKE to read, to become better at my job and just because I enjoy the material, but can't justify the time.


    I would like to get into CVOICE and CCNA voice
    I would love to learn the pix/asa and security appliances overall much more
    I need to learn juniper (maybe get my jncia)
    I should learn more about MPLS

    4 more reasons to get IE R&S out of the way... more techs and certs to get stuck into :p
    CCIE R&S All Done :D


    Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,313
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Ya I was just talking to someone at work how there is about 5 books now that I would LIKE to read, to become better at my job and just because I enjoy the material, but can't justify the time.


    I would like to get into CVOICE and CCNA voice
    I would love to learn the pix/asa and security appliances overall much more
    I need to learn juniper (maybe get my jncia)
    I should learn more about MPLS


    All of which is not going to help much for the lab, and is time I can't afford to spend right now. Maybe some day lol For now, I have 24hrs of rack time over the next 2 days.

    All of the above are on my backburner. I agree that you need plenty of available time to cover these subjects properly and like yourself there just isn't time. Focus!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Well, its just over a month away now.

    Just about through all of the Vol II labs from IE. I left the last couple since I have done most of the tasks in pieces already.


    From now until the date the plan is to get through the holidays/work, spending as much time going over the CoD and reading. Then I am off starting the 6th and I have booked a 6hr slot just about everyday until the exam. Going to use the 28/2 rule, which is study like hell for 28 days, and relax for 2 days before the exam. I'll be taking the odd ski trip off still, but for the most part will be really pushing for the last couple of weeks.

    MP3 player is filled with audio classes, I carry my notes with me just about everywhere I go, and I freak out when I don't have access to my home routers. Its the final stretch! lol
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good luck man! i know i will be reading a post in the near future of a new CCIE R&S :D
  • AhriakinAhriakin SupremeNetworkOverlord Member Posts: 1,800 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get some rest over the holidays, don't forget why you are doing this :).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Sitting at just under 3 weeks left. I am off work now and don't go back until after the exam, so there is lots of time to get things done.

    Current plan is to finish brushing up on some last topics over the next week, then the final week will be review of my notes, a couple of labs to keep sharp, and going over the doc cd.


    Not really sure what else to do in these final days. Just going to try and keep everything I have done in the past year fresh in my mind, and enjoy some time off work :D
Sign In or Register to comment.