Options

3 months to go!

Comments

• Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    we are all counting down the days with you Rob!

Remember - Stay focused!

I've almost completed my book purchasing for CCIE R&S..... Man that stack is going to keep me quite busy for 2009... gotta get this CCIP out of the way first though... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    best of luck GT, we're pulling for ya!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck GT-Rob, Im sure you will put in a good showing in the lab. I guess with three weeks left the only advice I can offer is to make that honest personal assessment of how you fare with the various topics and plan your remaining preparation time around your findings.

I would be inclined to spend more time on core topics at this stage. Most of your marks and your spring board for a pass stem from there. You may feel you are already pretty tight on a few things but look them over anyway. Any non core stuff you are less strong on spend a little time on them but don't expect to sort them all out inside three weeks. Find those things on the DocCD. Im finding time with DocCD very useful of late, hunting down all those examples of tricky things in the configuration guides!

I gave the same advice to Ethan Banks last March when he seemed to be stressing a little on the cryptic stuff leading up to his impending lab date and he went on to pass. I think he took it on board.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Yeah there is a lot of little things you can't expect to memorize. The idea is you know what they are asking for, and can find it either by the '?' or the docCD.

I think I am going to go over the labs again, mainly redistribution and BGP, and just do stuff in my head. Looking at their solution and making sure it all makes sense, and making sure it is the same conclusions that I am coming to.

I have said it before but regardless of how this exam comes out, I am so much better off than I was a year ago. Looking over my notes from when I started I am just amazed at how little I knew when then compared to now lol
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Yeah there is a lot of little things you can't expect to memorize. The idea is you know what they are asking for, and can find it either by the '?' or the docCD.

I think I am going to go over the labs again, mainly redistribution and BGP, and just do stuff in my head. Looking at their solution and making sure it all makes sense, and making sure it is the same conclusions that I am coming to.

I have said it before but regardless of how this exam comes out, I am so much better off than I was a year ago. Looking over my notes from when I started I am just amazed at how little I knew when then compared to now lol

Very true. Anyone that makes the trip is transformed. That's something that most CCIE's and CCIE candidates agree on. If you go through the process properly you learn things that no other track will teach you. CCIE's who got through first time or fifth time will attest to that, and CCIE candidates who for one reason or another just didn't quite make the grade on the day and had to abandon it due to escalating work and family commitments. I know a few such people and they are very capable engineers. Either way, if you have put the work in, what you have learned will only help you.

Sounds like you have a good plan there. As for the minutia..it can't all appear on the day. Just some of it. Will it be what you are good or suck on?....that's the fun part!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rob, Seriously, sounds like your doing great man! keep it up!!

I really hope you get what you deserve! Best of luck man!!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heh, one week ahead of you :). As turgon said now is the time for checking your foundations and definitely mapping out your plan of attack for the DOC CD, even if you are not labbing and think of a topic at random open up your browser and see how accurately/quickly you can locate it in the Docs.
    And don't worry, the sun will still rise the day after the exam and pass or fail the experience makes you stronger.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    rob, glad to hear you're getting some well-deserved time off before your exam. Have fun catching up on sleep & returning to "normal" sleep patterns, and good luck wrapping up those studies!! :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Heh, one week ahead of you :). As turgon said now is the time for checking your foundations and definitely mapping out your plan of attack for the DOC CD, even if you are not labbing and think of a topic at random open up your browser and see how accurately/quickly you can locate it in the Docs.
    And don't worry, the sun will still rise the day after the exam and pass or fail the experience makes you stronger.

Way ahead of me guys. Good luck Ahriakin! Yup the DocCD is the key once you have worked enough illustrations of things in your labs and understand enough. You would spend your whole life trying to be good at everything. Use the DocCD well and particularly be adept at finding configuration examples across topics. It is useful in the lab for things like that. But know the mechanisms before hand. No time in the lab to learn much new from the DocCD.

Hopefully get to Brussels myself in April at this rate.
  • Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GT,

Sounds like you've gotten great advice from Turgon and others.

I was once told that you walk into the lab as a CCIE, the test just gets you your number. The 100s of hours of study you've put in has produced a CCIE. Not going out with friends, not traveling on holidays, tossing and turning all night because you couldn't solve some esoteric BGP issue, dreaming of QOS solutions, has produced a CCIE. Believe that you ARE a CCIE. Now in 3 weeks go get your number.

Ernest
  • Options
    EMcCaleb wrote: »
    GT,

Sounds like you've gotten great advice from Turgon and others.

I was once told that you walk into the lab as a CCIE, the test just gets you your number. The 100s of hours of study you've put in has produced a CCIE. Not going out with friends, not traveling on holidays, tossing and turning all night because you couldn't solve some esoteric BGP issue, dreaming of QOS solutions, has produced a CCIE. Believe that you ARE a CCIE. Now in 3 weeks go get your number.

Ernest

Ernest I believe you are correct. You are already a CCIE before you walk into the lab on the day you pass. The test is just a rubber stamp. If you are good enough you are already there and just pick up your number.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very interesting perspective. Sounds like a great lab day confidence booster too. Good luck to everyone!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote: »
    Very interesting perspective. Sounds like a great lab day confidence booster too. Good luck to everyone!

IT,

It was for me. So many CCIE candidates (myself included) walk into the lab thinking Cisco will invoke some black magic and introduce topics they've never seen before. Or the questions are actually written in Sanskrit and impossible to decipher. They literally think themselves out of passing.

It took me 3 attempts to pass. The day I passed I walked in KNOWING there was nothing Cisco could do to fail me. I believed I was as much of a CCIE as the proctor.

When GT walks in empowered by the knowledge that he IS a CCIE, he will give a good account for himself.

Ernest
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously guys, it's only a test.

The only thing that changes on the day you pass is your salary range.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Like I said, it will be interesting to take this plunge regardless of the outcome.

Just finished booking everything for the trip. Took Ahriakin's advice and am staying at the La Quinta. Its seems pretty close to both Cisco and the airport, so it should mean for some short cab rides. I am set to arrive in San Jose by 1:30pm so that should give me time to relax (or room for delayed flights).

From now until the test I might do 1 or 2 full labs again, just to keep the rhythm going. Otherwise probably just do the tasks on my weak areas. I have been looking over a couple and just doing them in my head, making sure the methodology is there. I wish I could watch the CoD still but I just can't take it anymore lol I have gone through them 2 times over and I am just sick of them! (sorry Brians!)

On the subject of the facilities, what is it like there? Is it all locked down and you only have access to the testing part, or am I able to wander around (not during the exam, but after)? Is there a place to buy Cisco Swag? I thought about trying to name drop my company (4th largest Cisco network) to score a tour but am worried they might kidnap me until I return all the RMAs we never ship back lol
  • Options
    Trust me, the day will fly by and the last thing on your mind will be a tour (though maybe you're staying longer?). It's not fort knox, but you won't see much of the place at all as it's a pretty direct route from the waiting area to the Lab. Simple logistic stuff - You can bring drinks into the lab but not food, there's a vending area just down from it. You can use the bathroom any time you like, there's just a key-card they hang by the door you use to get back in.
    I didn't see any kind of store but there may be one in some of the other buildings. I booked my cab through the hotel desk and it was there dead on time, it took about 15 mins to get from there to Cisco, of course allow some breathing room but traffic was not bad and I was told that is the norm that early. Fares to and from averaged about $15 each way (I'm not sure what is usual in Canada but remember to tip your driver :), that may be a completely redundant piece of advice but coming from Europe knowing who and when to tip was a pain to learn ). There's a complimentary airport shuttle to/from the hotel so just follow the signs in the airport itself for Shuttles and you'll get to a large collection of bus-stops just outside the terminal building, call the hotel. It took about 10 mins for it to arrive. If you arrive at Terminal A you'll leave the airport through what looks like an underground car park , just follow the signs out and the shuttle area is about 100 feet straight ahead of the exit.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    I am getting so excited for you guys that I almost feel like I am about to take the plunge!

Yes, remembering to tip is a good thing.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

haha yes, always tip the wheel man. I remember the first time I was in Europe, and some guy holding out his hand on my way out of a washroom. Wasn't quite sure what he wanted lol

I think I may try to bring in a tea with me. What was the breakfast like at the hotel? Can I expect much more than some toast?
  • Options
    Breakfast is pretty simple. Cereal, Waffles, Pastries/Bagel, Juice and coffee/tea....all those nice sleep inducing carbs :) I brought some protein bars with me that filled in the gaps in the morning of the exam. Enough to get you started. Lunch at Cisco is pretty decent though
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Lunch at Cisco is pretty decent though

Would that be filet of rubber chicken?

a543047a543047 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The lunch depends. The last time I went they had braised short ribs which were really good. I usually don't eat much to prevent a food coma which is why I was starving by the end of the lab. =(
    CCIE #22769
    Routing and Switching
    Service Provider
  • Options
    Hmm I guess I don't have time for a nap after lunch then? I am a big fan of a Siesta :D
  • Options
    I don't think they will care if you nap but it is on your time!

To those who have taken the exam, how do I find out my results? Will they send me an email or do I have to log into where I schedule the exam to see it? Is it generally that night you get them?
  • Options
    They email you to let you know your exam was graded but you have to login to your account to see it (same details needed as when you booked the lab so have your written details handy).
    I got my email around 4am and nearly went crazy as I couldn't login (the wife had setup that account a few years previous when she wanted to buy me some Cisco stuff for Xmas and I couldn't remember what password she used icon_rolleyes.gif....some potential CCIE, locked out of his own account )
  • Options
    haha ya that would be stressful! I actually logged in for the first time in a long time today, and I couldn't find my score report. So I basically had to log into vue to find the date I took my written (and get my Cisco ID), then keep guessing my score until it let me in lol
  • Options
    When I passed there were 2 emails, one saying the score report was available and another with my number in it. I really didn't care because I already knew my number and that I passed when I left the lab.
  • Options
    Ok well on that topic, how easy is it to sweet talk them into grading the lab right away? I have heard sometimes they will run the grade script before you leave, does it just depend on the mood they are in?
  • Options
    Tuant the proctor at lunch and tell them you already passed.

Worked for me.
  • Options
    I don't know, our proctors were pretty grumpy, so much so that everyone was just silent at lunch except one candidate who was a Cisco trainer - to be fair though the guy who chaparoned at lunchtime was on crutches after knee surgery, still it didn't help anyone's nerves.