Digital SLRs / Photography

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm thinking of picking up a Canon 7D in the next couple of weeks after I do the adult thing and by a new Bed. Does anyone here have one ?

My buddy has one and I use it occasionally. Superb camera.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I have a canon T2i with a bunch of lenses. Fish eye, 8-14mm wide angle tokina, 70-300mm ultra, stock lense, 50mm 1.4, tripod, filters, filters and more filters. It is just a hobby so far. Once I make more time and we get some light again I will get back into it. I may get some b2000's this winter for some cool outdoor snow shots.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm so close to getting the 35 1.8, someone just please tell me to do it already.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm so close to getting the 35 1.8, someone just please tell me to do it already.

Do it already!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do it already!

^^^ What he said ^^^
    I am not sure if you are talking about the Nikkor or Canon 35mm 1.8 but they are both very high quality and inexpensive lenses. The BEST part of having a small prime is not having to lug around a massive lens. I carried a Zeiss 35mm MF lens in Chicago and that was too heavy for non-professional use. Besides being $1500 more expensive than the almost as capable plastic autofocus wonders from the big two.
    Just bought an SB-28 on ebay. I'm getting addicted to strobist stuff now. Gonna start off with just a few flashes and see how bad it goes from there.
    Picked up an SB-26, a couple of light stands, convertible shoot-thru and bounce umbrella, umbrella adapters, and some pc cords. Going to try my first strobist session this weekend!
    Took this on May 5th. Perigee Supermoon of 2012. Next one won't be until 2029, or so they say.

7156333718_7e01edbd00_b.jpg
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a cool picture!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just got into photogrpahy. Bought a T3i with the 18-50mm lens. Then purchased a 50mm 1.8 prime and a 50-250mm lens.

I've been happy getting to know the equipment. Took a couple of classes from a professional photography through a meetup group.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    I just got into photogrpahy. Bought a T3i with the 18-50mm lens. Then purchased a 50mm 1.8 prime and a 50-250mm lens.

I've been happy getting to know the equipment. Took a couple of classes from a professional photography through a meetup group.

Wait until you get into strobist gear, that's when the fun begins!
  • foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few months ago my wife and I purchased a t2i with the kit 18-55mm lens.. love the camera. We then purchased a 1.8 50mm prime and have taken some cool pictures with it. Last month we splurged and purchased an entry level wide angel lens, the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Love the wide angle lens for landscape pictures.
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273

I just bought the same one and also the 50mm 1.8 lens. Love em so far but I wanna get better & better. Good to finally be able to afford a decent hobby. But in my own [cheap] defense, I've taken some pretty decent pics with point & shoot cams too... all about the vision I guess...

Any word on how lens hoods affect the image quality? I don't wanna waste too much money if it really doesn't make that much of a difference... I could live without looking like a "pro"
    I just bought the same one and also the 50mm 1.8 lens. Love em so far but I wanna get better & better. Good to finally be able to afford a decent hobby. But in my own [cheap] defense, I've taken some pretty decent pics with point & shoot cams too... all about the vision I guess...

Any word on how lens hoods affect the image quality? I don't wanna waste too much money if it really doesn't make that much of a difference... I could live without looking like a "pro"

Some say lens hoods prevent glare, some say they are just used to protect the lens from getting damaged. I put them on my because it makes my d5100 look bigger :) I always use one regardless of which lens I am using and if I am indoors or outdoors. Force of habit I guess. Most of them come with the lens anyway.

Did you mean to say lens filters?
    Took this on May 5th. Perigee Supermoon of 2012. Next one won't be until 2029, or so they say.

7156333718_7e01edbd00_b.jpg
    What lens was used for this? Settings? Care to share?
    Did you mean to say lens filters?
    Nope. I meant hood unless there is some other name for it
    What lens was used for this? Settings? Care to share?

Lens: Nikkor 55-200 @200mm
    Aperture: 5.6
    Shutter: 1/250
    ISO: 100
    Metering: Spot
    White Balance: Auto
    VR: Off
    Focus: Manual

I was very surprised how well my d5100 performed at iso 100. Normally I have to crank it to 1600 when I shoot in the dark.

I adjusted exposure, shadows, clarity, and sharpness in Adobe Lightroom 3. It helped bring out more detail. See attached.

• networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phoeneous, when I took a picture of the moon once it came out blue and was using Auto White Balance. At that time, I was using D80 but now I am using D90, which is collecting dust nowadays. Any advice the next time I take a picture?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    networkjutsu,

You may want to try using a manual rather than auto exposure and over saturate the shot.

Otherwise, here is another person's comments with Digital images:
    How to Photograph the Moon | TZPlanet.com
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz, when you say AE, meaning the dial is at Auto? I usually do Manual, Aperture, or Shutter settings. I try to use Manual every time when I know what aperture or shutter speed I want to use. If not, I use aperture or shutter settings. Next time I go out and shoot the moon, I'll read that link again. Thanks!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Auto White Balancing can grey out or mute something you are shooting. With 35mm if something 'white' or real bright was left to auto settings or was too fast of a shutter, many times it would come out (develop) yellow.

I'm not familiar with digital pulling in blue hues, but the light from the moon is reflected to earth and the atmosphere absorbs much of the light...so keeping the exposure open longer should produce a brighter result.

Or, there is always Photoshop or Gimp to correct the small imperfections.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Phoeneous, when I took a picture of the moon once it came out blue and was using Auto White Balance. At that time, I was using D80 but now I am using D90, which is collecting dust nowadays. Any advice the next time I take a picture?

Nikons tend shoot "cool" - cool is blue, warm is yellow - which is probably why your moon came out blueish.

Typically setting your white balance correctly will make it look less blue but there are so many variables involved. Do you use lens filters?
    Nikons tend shoot "cool" - cool is blue, warm is yellow - which is probably why your moon came out blueish.

Yes, I noticed that. When I took the picture of the Cloud Gate, the reflection of the moon came out blueish too.
    Typically setting your white balance correctly will make it look less blue but there are so many variables involved. Do you use lens filters?

I only have two filters, UV and CPL.
    So is anyone looking forward to some new gear for Christmas? I think I see a 16-85 in the near future.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I asked for a new flash. I've been into photography for about 6 years, but have never had a serious flash (but plenty of lenses)..so hopefully I get lucky this year. I guess I've been a true hobbyist.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Flashes are a lot of fun, and open up some pretty cool options for photography for sure. You going to get a set of radio triggers to go with it? Radio poppers are nice, and not too pricey.