Digital SLRs / Photography

124»

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, that's the plan at least- but we will see. One benefit of not having a flash for so long, is it actually fine-tuned my ability to use natural light since I didn't have another option. That being said, I've reached a point I'm sort of topped out so the flash will bring new light (no pun intended) to my photo's!
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cool. Strangely, my natural light usage improved after doing a lot of off camera flash - better at looking for directionality.

Strobist, Strobist and Zack Arias Blog • Photography By Zack Arias and Photography Q&A -Ask Me Anything About Photography are a couple great resources.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't have much of a portfolio up right now, but here are a few random photos of mine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116556598250726214706/albums/5651633137159265889
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the plan at least- but we will see. One benefit of not having a flash for so long, is it actually fine-tuned my ability to use natural light since I didn't have another option. That being said, I've reached a point I'm sort of topped out so the flash will bring new light (no pun intended) to my photo's!

Get an sb-28 on ebay, shouldn't be that much. Strobist shots are so much fun! I did a small shoot for a holiday card this weekend and it came out great. I have a wescott umbrella, a softbox, and the yongnuo rf-603 transceivers. Those are the best lest expensive wireless triggers on the market.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Glad you revived this thread. I enjoyed reading up on it.

I shoot a Canon T4i/650D with the stock 18-55mm lens.

I've been eyeballing the 40mm STM and comparing it against the 50mm. Leaning towards the 40. Like most people here I could easily just buy it but I have been making an effort not to buy things I want so as to not leave my wife holding the metaphorical bag come Christmas/Birthday time.

Unfortunately, this Christmas will not be the one I get a new lens as we both agreed to spend Christmas money on her visa run to Dubai.

As for learning about the camera, photography, and just taking good pictures in general, I've been making an effort to not shoot on Auto.
    Low light is the worst when the camera wants to instantly blast the flash and wash out whatever you're taking a picture of, especially if you are close up. I have a $50 Neewer external flash I like for bouncing light but never use because of the rarity the occasion calls for and the hassle of taking it on and off.
    Hopefully when I get back stateside I can pay this hobby a little more attention and really learn about it but for now I am okay with just toting it around and taking pictures of my wife and daughter every chance I get.

Edit: Will try and post up some of my favorites for your critique when I get back to my home away from home.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    @Wes Allen, really diggin the portfolio man. Those are some excellent shots. +1 all day.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wes allen wrote: »
    I don't have much of a portfolio up right now, but here are a few random photos of mine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116556598250726214706/albums/5651633137159265889

Nice captures Wes, really like the nature shots. :)

I didn't know this thread existed :)

If you all are a little bored... have a look at some of my work. (NSFW)ish Frank Hatcher Photography | Beauty, Boudoir, Lingerie, Model, Swimsuit Photographer the fun site... Hatch1921 -- Photography Tips, Techniques, Equipment Reviews and more.

I shot professionally for about 5 years... making the move to IT the past couple. :)

Good times!
    Hatch
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a Nikon D70 (I think). I need to buy a mount that allows me to attach my camera body to a telescopic spotting scope. I really love wildlife photography but one of the places I frequent doesn't allow us to leave the trails, so I want a spotting scope setup to play with. I'd go for a nice 300mm or so lens but I can get a mount and spotting scope for less than the cost of a decent 300mm lens. Has anyone used such a setup? Any tips/tricks?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Check out Sigma's latest lens for wildlife/sports. You'll like it.
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out Sigma's latest lens for wildlife/sports. You'll like it.

Give the Sigma 120-300mm a try... pretty amazing lens for the price point. LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more I use these guys to try before I buy :)