New Year Resolutions

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Is anyone going for anything else besides getting back to the gym?

Aside from the gym, I'm going to do a lot of reading. Maybe I'll try to floss regularly too; I'm terrible about that...

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To stop smoking when I'm drunk!!!! ..terrible habit!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm not a big fan of resolutions, but if pressed, I'd have to say that my goals for 2009 are to really focus on school and do my best to do well during my first semester & beyond. Also to get a part time job to help with the bills & hopefully give me some more challenges to learn from. I've got my eye on a position with the computer lab/tech team at school, hopefully they have some openings.

I also would like to be more social & get out of the house more. We've been moving so much over the last few years that it's been hard to make lasting social connections, and I'd like to make some new friends here and stop being such a hermit! icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Same as every year, to start working towards my degree. Maybe this will be the year!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    same thing as we do every year pinky, try to take over the world.

Going for a second CCIE, the usual.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gain weight
    Start smoking

In all seriousness, I don't have any resolutions.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well here are mine:

• Lose 40-50lbs
    • Have atleast $5,000 in savings
    • Pay off my car (only have about $9K left)
    • Excel in school, I've been barely just passing my classes.
    • Get up at 5:30am every day, eat breakfast, and workout.
    • Have at the very least have 5 certifications by the end of 2009 icon_cheers.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    To exercise. I've dropped about 50 pounds since last year, when my New Year's Resolution was to eat healthy. That's with minimal exercise (really none to speak of). So now I'm exercising, and I hope to lose 40 pounds over the course of this year.

I know you wanted something other than that, but I actually kept my resolution, so I thought I share.
    Good luck to all!
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Well i got a few for this year.

IT Related:
    1. Finish my 291 Exam for my MCSA 2003
    2. CCENT Certification
    3. CCNA Certification
    4. Continue learning about CEH Material.
    5. Learn as much about Security

Personal/Others:
    1. Continue my goal of not smoking Cigs. (Thanks to Chantix)
    2. Complete the basement for my office/Business
    3. Continue to be the best dad ever.
    4. Getting Married In Hawaii
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Well I started going to the Gym last month thanks to a free month long trial and now I will continue to go for all of 2009. I don't consider that a resolution though.... My real New Year's resolution is to get started with our side "business". Our side venture is not IT related.

IT related:
    Finish CCNA

After that I'm going back to college.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not IT related, but my wife and I are going to work on having a better relationship and doing a better job of supporting each other.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    blargoe wrote: »
    Not IT related, but my wife and I are going to work on having a better relationship and doing a better job of supporting each other.

Very nice. The key to happiness for me is that we see eachother very little during the work week... so then on weekends, we can moderately enjoy spending time together. I love my wife and I don't want another one, but I question why having any wife is even necessary?

Good luck.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I love my wife and I don't want another one, but I question why having any wife is even necessary?

social contract.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From another post of mine:

1. Finish my damn MCSE (2 exams left)
    2. CCNA (or at least CCENT)
    3. Some sort of VMWare knowledge/training (we'll see where it goes)
    4. MCTIP: EA (merely for fun at this point; looking forward to the new Server 08 track)
    5. Expand on my lab and improve it as well. (more equip, more setup, more fun, more etc icon_lol.gif )

NON-IT goals
    1. Fix up my house (some little here and there projects)
    2. Hit the gym again (got lazy towards the end of the year)
    3. Cut down on the cigars (shouldn't be too hard)
    4. Saving more of the "guac" aka $$$
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    1. Continue to learn Java and hopefully sit the SCJP exam at the end of the year
    2. Finish my Associates Degree
    3. Start studying for the Network+ Exam in April and take the exam in August before Fall semester starts.
    4. Continue to invest in Mutual Funds (Using my young age of 20 to my advantage)
    5. Have fun.... WEEEEE!!
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Non IT
    Pay off my personal loan.
    Lose weight. Since my son was born a year ago exercise and eating right have not been a priority. I used to be pretty athletic.
    Start playing hockey again. Again, quit when my son was born.

IT
    Finish my MCITP: Database Administration.
    Get a DBA job.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I.T. Related:
    Pass CCENT
    Pass CCNA
    Pass the remaining tests for MCSA 2003
    Pass Sec+
    Hopefully start on my degree

Non I.T. Related:
    Get out of debt except for house of course
    Workout
    Save money
    have a blast
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I love my wife and I don't want another one, but I question why having any wife is even necessary?
    Not necessary, but if you're looking for a logical rationalization, then having a spouse does have its monetary benefits - lower combined taxes, shared living expenses, etc.

(And no, I'm not saying that you can't live together without being married, I did it myself for several years before taking the plunge...but my parents were none too pleased and my father refused to even enter our bedroom when they visited! :D)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Who would cook and clean if you didn't have a wife icon_lol.gif

j/k
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    HHHHHHHHMMMM??

Let's see...

1) Finish the Buick
    2) Finish the MCSA
    3) Study and take the CISSP
    4) get into the gym
    4) Finish paying for the Buick

That's enough for 2009
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jbrown414 wrote: »
    Lose weight. Since my son was born a year ago exercise and eating right have not been a priority. I used to be pretty athletic.
    Start playing hockey again. Again, quit when my son was born.

He'll start giving you more exercise soon enough :)

My big resolution is to try and work harder at finding a positive way to release my stress. Between working a couple jobs, finishing my bachelors, and helping take care of our son, I buildup a lot of stress and I'm not that great at managing it in healthy ways. Doesn't help that the money situation went down the tubes when my full-time job became a part-time job. I've been unfairly taking things out on my wife here and there (being snippy, bit more fighting than normal), so that's my priority. Also hoping to secure a new job in the next couple of weeks which should help the stress levels significantly as it will be a properly staffed shop instead of a skeleton crew where I'm at now, and more pay!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hmmm. . . aside from some reading, I've got a few things to start on:
    • Getting back to the gym (not just for weight-management, I've got to repair some old damage to my spine and keep some new, hereditary issues from damaging my heart).
    • Take care of a few 'pre-requisite' classes in college before starting my full-time stint
    • Pay off some old debts and beef up my credit
    • Buy a new(er) car and get rid of the old one
    • Get my eyes fixed (lasik)
    • Move out of my current living situation and find a new place
    • Clean up the files on my computer, sort my bookmarks, and tag my mp3 collection properly
    • Clean out my storage unit and closet, get rid of things that are just gathering dust and mildew in boxes, and stop being such a pack-rat
    • And, after I'm done with all this other screwing around, it's time to get serious and do something useful. . . I need to get back into playing some video games I've missed and work on my guitar-playing.
    I suppose this is my year to clean the slate, put a few stagnating tasks behind me, and prepare for bigger and better things. 2010 will consist of school, philosophical pursuits, cigars, and booze. . . and I'm fine with that. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. Have a 6 pack abs.
    2. Save the greenbacks hopefully 30 G's on savings.
    3. Finish my CCNA and CCNP (damn I would be sooo ohappy).
    4. Pay off my state taxes ughh.
    5. Get a 6 figure job :)
    7. Hopefully get approved for a house loan.
    8. Work on my blog site shhhhhh.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote: »
    Work on my blog site shhhhhh.

URL? I don't see it listed in your profile.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's down right now, I have to move all my equipments, I will work on it tomorrow.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, it doesn't count as a resolution, but find a job is #1!

IT Related:
    CEH
    ICND2
    CCNA:Security
    CHFI
    SSCP (if I get a job in security)

Non-IT Related
    Gym (I've let myself go and time to get back)
    Pay off school loans (got a lot and have a 7 year plan worked up)
    Follow Dave Ramsey's plan (great finance guy, with a great and easy to follow plan)
    Go to Church (use to go every Saturday, but have fallen off that wagon and just haven't been able to get back on, but starting today hopefully back on track!)

Good luck everyone!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    -Finish the CCIE, don't care if it takes me all year
    -Finish my first Ironman (this WILL take all year)
    -Finally put a datsun in my garage

Not really resolutions, as I have already been working on, more of a "don't leave 2009 without..."
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    After finally getting some of the ground work done on our side business, I realized that this thread is perfect for the type of thing my wife and I are doing. I'm not going to advertise here but, if someone happens to be interested leading a healthier lifestyle I have it discussed on my blog.

Hehe, I hope I didn't break any rules, I'm trying to be vague.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Get a network engineer role.

CCNA
    CCNA - Security
    BSCI
    BCMSN
    ISCW
    Linux+
    Pass my final two college exams

Decrease body fat.
    Increase strength and muscle. (Hopefully put on over 5 kgs of muscle and get my bench to 85 kgs)
    Be able to run 15 kms by end of August.
    Start up rugby again in August.
    Close the No. 1.5 COC hand gripper.

Read some IT books out of interest, not just cert based.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Well its almost the end of the year, and I haven't hit any of mine lol. Anyone in the same boat? Is there a lot of gym memberships going unused out there? ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Hmmm. . . aside from some reading, I've got a few things to start on:
    • Getting back to the gym (not just for weight-management, I've got to repair some old damage to my spine and keep some new, hereditary issues from damaging my heart).
    • Take care of a few 'pre-requisite' classes in college before starting my full-time stint
    • Pay off some old debts and beef up my credit
    • Buy a new(er) car and get rid of the old one
    • Get my eyes fixed (lasik)
    • Move out of my current living situation and find a new place
    • Clean up the files on my computer, sort my bookmarks, and tag my mp3 collection properly
    • Clean out my storage unit and closet, get rid of things that are just gathering dust and mildew in boxes, and stop being such a pack-rat
    • And, after I'm done with all this other screwing around, it's time to get serious and do something useful. . . I need to get back into playing some video games I've missed and work on my guitar-playing.
    I suppose this is my year to clean the slate, put a few stagnating tasks behind me, and prepare for bigger and better things. 2010 will consist of school, philosophical pursuits, cigars, and booze. . . and I'm fine with that. :D

Let's see. . .
    • Started going to the gym, am going to pick up the pace during the winter break. icon_thumright.gif
    • Took out the pre-req classes and am onto bigger and better things. icon_thumright.gif
    • Paid off quite a few debts, only a big one left. :)
    • Got a car. Not newer, but in far superior condition. icon_thumright.gif
    • No money for Lasik, unfortunately. icon_sad.gif
    • Moved to a new apartment in a great area, loving it. icon_thumright.gif
    • Cleaned up most of my saved files, not done tagging mp3s. :)
    • Haven't cleaned out the storage unit, but have cleaned out a lot of junk from the apartment. :)
    • Finished Red Alert 3, RA3: Uprising, Bioshock, Ghostbusters the Videogame, and working on Psychonauts. icon_thumright.gif

My trip through academia is going well, as is my ongoing fight against the horrible affliction of sobriety. Life is good, so far.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.