New Year Resolutions

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is anyone going for anything else besides getting back to the gym?

Aside from the gym, I'm going to do a lot of reading. Maybe I'll try to floss regularly too; I'm terrible about that...

I got back to GYM on July, and been going constantly. I'm back in shape (almost), and lost 10 pounds icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He'll start giving you more exercise soon enough :)

My big resolution is to try and work harder at finding a positive way to release my stress. Between working a couple jobs, finishing my bachelors, and helping take care of our son, I buildup a lot of stress and I'm not that great at managing it in healthy ways. Doesn't help that the money situation went down the tubes when my full-time job became a part-time job. I've been unfairly taking things out on my wife here and there (being snippy, bit more fighting than normal), so that's my priority. Also hoping to secure a new job in the next couple of weeks which should help the stress levels significantly as it will be a properly staffed shop instead of a skeleton crew where I'm at now, and more pay!

Wow, I forgot about this thread and looking back I see that I have completely failed to meet my resolution. I suppose I'm going to carry this over for 2010, too bad it's too late to save the relationship with my wife. I guess 2010 will be a self-improvement year hopefully and after returning to the single life and a year to reflect on my experiences and hopeful improvement in myself I'll look at 2011 as my year to find love again so I don't die alone if those crazy 2012 people are correct!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Planet X is coming, the meek can stake a claim to my six feet of it

*cause sooner or later we all sleep alone - Cher Bono
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, I forgot about this thread and looking back I see that I have completely failed to meet my resolution. I suppose I'm going to carry this over for 2010, too bad it's too late to save the relationship with my wife. I guess 2010 will be a self-improvement year hopefully and after returning to the single life and a year to reflect on my experiences and hopeful improvement in myself I'll look at 2011 as my year to find love again so I don't die alone if those crazy 2012 people are correct!

Look after yourself in 2010 and things will come around my friend. You will be fine. Try and relax a bit more.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmm, exercising more and moving out of Desktop Support. We will see if this turns out to be possible :)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Well I started going to the Gym last month thanks to a free month long trial and now I will continue to go for all of 2009. I don't consider that a resolution though.... My real New Year's resolution is to get started with our side "business". Our side venture is not IT related.

IT related:
    Finish CCNA

After that I'm going back to college.

Well, I'm still going to the gym 3 days per week. I'm very happy with the results so far.... Hehehe except the stupid BMI test now say I'm overweight since I've put on so much muscle mass.

I finished my CCNA and I started College in September. I have only 1 week left in the semester and I'm still on the road to straight A's for all 3 of my classes.

The side business is still going, but ti is really slow.

I think I hit all my goals! icon_cheers.gif

2010 Goals:
    CCNA:W
    Linux+
    Work more on the business
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    New Year Resolutions
    To break any that I do make ............
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kctxau wrote: »
    New Year Resolutions
    To break any that I do make ............

Well, that is easy to keep icon_lol.gif
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Well, that is easy to keep icon_lol.gif

Actually, wouldn't keeping it mean breaking it? And vice versa? It's too early in the morning for this... icon_smile.gif
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    #1 find a job!

IT Related:
    Finsh MCITP:EA
    CCNA
    Go Back get MCSE before they expire
    CEH
    CCNA:Security
    CHFI

Non-IT Related
    Campaign for the best conservatives out there!!! We will win 2010!
    Tea Party in DC
    Gym /Run (Tried this last year but hurt my knee)
    Pay off school loans /Credit Cards about 14,500
    Follow Ramsey's plan
    Prepare for the next 3 years of Hell
    Free Reading : History Books
  • ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    Is anyone going for anything else besides getting back to the gym?

Aside from the gym, I'm going to do a lot of reading. Maybe I'll try to floss regularly too; I'm terrible about that...

Lets see:

Besides get back to the gym? Is there any other resolution?

For me I want the MCSE this year; enough with my procrastination

Read more classics, not just the historical fiction (Pope, Forrester, Lambdin, etc).

Find a way for me to make more $$ so my wife can stay home and hopefully adopt a son or daughter.

Volunteer more -- someone out there must need free System Administration help!

~Obdurate~
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IT related:

CCNA
    CCNA/S
    Security+
    Project+ (If I didn't pass beta exam)

Non IT related:

First Aid Certification

Work out more

Get into Martial Arts.
    I want to take Ju jitsu and Muy Thai but I might start with Judo since it'll be cheaper and I'll be going with a friend who started before me.

Study more foreign langauges...
    I really want to learn Russian. I've started on Spanish and American Sign Language.

Be more involved with church (I'm not trying to make this a religous discussion)

Most important of all....... I want to be a better person.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    IT related:
    JNCIE-SEC (if they come out with it this year)
    CCNA
    CCNP ( depending on how much I have to kill myself studying for the JNCIE-SEC )

Non-IT related:
    pay off both car loans ( about 19k altogether )
    excercise everyday ( my spina bifida occulta gives me problems if I don't and lately I haven't been doing this )
    increase savings to a non-embarassing amount
    Actually get out and not be such a hermit ( this might contridict my IT related goals )
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    IT:
    Finish up MCITP: EA and MCSE: Security
    CCNA
    Start on CCNP

Non-IT:
    Spend less, save and earn more (may be difficult, as I have a kid on the way (don't think I've mentioned that before) icon_biggrin.gif )
    Work out more
    Learn a foreign language (leaning towards Polish / Russian)
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    cbigbrick wrote: »
    HHHHHHHHMMMM??

Let's see...

1) Finish the Buick
    2) Finish the MCSA
    3) Study and take the CISSP
    4) get into the gym
    4) Finish paying for the Buick

That's enough for 2009

1) Finish the Buick - DONE!!!
    2) Finish the MCSA - On hold
    3) Study and take the CISSP - I have been studying on and off. Going threw the books for a second time and it seems a little easier to grasp.
    4) get into the gym - Started then Stopped. Need to start again.
    4) Finish paying for the Buick - I'm about 8K in the hole.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    cbigbrick wrote: »
    1) Finish the Buick - DONE!!!
    2) Finish the MCSA - On hold
    3) Study and take the CISSP - I have been studying on and off. Going threw the books for a second time and it seems a little easier to grasp.
    4) get into the gym - Started then Stopped. Need to start again.
    4) Finish paying for the Buick - I'm about 8K in the hole.

Lets see the Buick!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well here are mine:

• Lose 40-50lbs
    • Have atleast $5,000 in savings
    • Pay off my car (only have about $9K left)
    • Excel in school, I've been barely just passing my classes.
    • Get up at 5:30am every day, eat breakfast, and workout.
    • Have at the very least have 5 certifications by the end of 2009 icon_cheers.gif
    • Lose 40-50lbs - Nope
    • Have atleast $5,000 in savings- Nope
    • Pay off my car (only have about $9K left)- Nope
    • Excel in school, I've been barely just passing my classes.- Nope
    • Get up at 5:30am every day, eat breakfast, and workout.- Nope
    • Have at the very least have 5 certifications by the end of 2009 - Nope
    icon_sad.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    0, I don't waste my time making a new year resolution that will more than likely not be done or even come close to being accomplishing.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    * Continue my weight loss and exercise (I'm down nearly 80 lbs since last Nov 0icon_cool.gif until I hit 180 lbs.
    * Round out my knowledge of SQL Server
    * Complete the SQL Server 2008 Exams
    * Keep the house up better
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote: »
    same thing as we do every year pinky, try to take over the world.

Going for a second CCIE, the usual.

Which one?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Life.
    1. Enjoy life much better than last year
    2. Lower my stress levels
    3. Find an apartment
    4. Pay off school loans.

IT.
    1. CCIE R&S written
    2. Excel at my job

Keeping it simple for 2k10, im done being pressured and over analyzing things. Im not going to worry about certification dead lines or anything of that nature. CCNP is done , CCIE will take time and pressure free. Sounds a bit odd for such a high test but in reality once your CCNP, job wise you dont have to worry that much. Plus CCIE 95% is review of the CCNP with more detail.

GL everyone on their goals!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I got back to GYM on July, and been going constantly. I'm back in shape (almost), and lost 10 pounds icon_cool.gif

I lost about 140 pounds. I still need to get back in shape, but life is so much better without the (ex-)wife.
    Well, I'm still going to the gym 3 days per week. I'm very happy with the results so far.... Hehehe except the stupid BMI test now say I'm overweight since I've put on so much muscle mass.

I finished my CCNA and I started College in September. I have only 1 week left in the semester and I'm still on the road to straight A's for all 3 of my classes.

The side business is still going, but ti is really slow.

I think I hit all my goals! icon_cheers.gif

2010 Goals:
    CCNA:W
    Linux+
    Work more on the business

BMI is BS. Same height being massively obese or all muscle will yield the same results. Look at your body fat % and don't look back.
    • Lose 40-50lbs - Nope
    • Have atleast $5,000 in savings- Nope
    • Pay off my car (only have about $9K left)- Nope
    • Excel in school, I've been barely just passing my classes.- Nope
    • Get up at 5:30am every day, eat breakfast, and workout.- Nope
    • Have at the very least have 5 certifications by the end of 2009 - Nope
    icon_sad.gif

Well it's difficult to squeeze all that in and be so freaking awesome at the same time.
    keenon wrote: »
    0, I don't waste my time making a new year resolution that will more than likely not be done or even come close to being accomplishing.

Big talk from someone who should have a CCIE by now ;)
    * Continue my weight loss and exercise (I'm down nearly 80 lbs since last Nov 0icon_cool.gif until I hit 180 lbs.
    * Round out my knowledge of SQL Server
    * Complete the SQL Server 2008 Exams
    * Keep the house up better

Your weight never bothered me, but I'm glad you're going to take care of your house more. That's just disgusting.
    Which one?

Which one doesn't he have a shot at? Storage? icon_lol.gif

He narrowly missed the security lab that he took "for fun" and now he's a voice junky. It must be difficult to be so skilled and have so many options.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always like the word resolution anywho:

Certs:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/48218-2010-certification-plans.html#post358197

It may change a little but no to much.

Reading:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/38835-10-000-page-challenge-4.html#post358448
    I actually want to do about 20k next year. Maybe more. I would also like to read the entire Bible (even numbers...sigh)

Fitness:

I would like to bench my body weight...again I also want to lose about 50 pounds so that will fit together nicely.

I would like to run a 6 minute mile (I know it isn't that fast but still)

Business:

I still want to form my LLC.

Finance:

Pay off all but my car and save at least 10 percent of my paycheck.

School:

Get into Honor Society and retain 3.7 gpa or better.

Others:

Help my wife with her goals. Be a better husband, son and brother.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    I lost about 140 pounds. I still need to get back in shape, but life is so much better without the (ex-)wife.

wow icon_neutral.gif Great job !!!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No strict resolution this year, since I have never been able to stick to them. A lot of people have weight loss and giving up smoking as their resolutions for the new year; I lost weight couple of years ago and gave up smoking about a month ago; more or less just would like to carry on with them.

Yes, one thing I would like to do different is; and goes in opposition to my screen name, I would like to restrict the amount of coffee consumption; and that is very tough for me to do.
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    IT:

1. Get a cert or two. Prolly start with the CCNA:V since my new job is VOIP oriented.
    2. Learn (basic) SQL commands and how to get around things in SQL.

Non:

1. Finish three bike centuries. I already signed up for the Solvang Century this March.
    2. Finish Metal Gear Solid 4. Snake, I miss you.
    Focused and Steady.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Well it's difficult to squeeze all that in and be so freaking awesome at the same time.

Congrats on the weight loss!

& you're right, it's hard being this awesome. icon_cool.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I kept my exercise resolution mainly, but I didn't drop any weight. Odd.

My resolutions for next year:

• Drop at least 10 pounds
    • Exercise 4 times a week
    • Save 20% of every dollar I earn
    • Exchange 2010 MCITP
    • Storage certification
    • Learn PowerShell 2.0
    • Watch every episode of Daily Show (gotta have at least one fun one!)
    Good luck to all!

BMI is BS. Same height being massively obese or all muscle will yield the same results. Look at your body fat % and don't look back.

I agree and would add that you should use a "fabric" type tape measure to measure your thighs, upper arms, upper torso, and waist in addition to weighing yourself. I do a combination of weight training and High Intensity Interval Training and I have had weeks where I lost ½ inch in the thighs and in the waist but my weight went up by a small amount.
    My objectives are based mostly on % Body Fat and strength/fitness.
    Your weight never bothered me, but I'm glad you're going to take care of your house more. That's just disgusting.

I know. My ho's never mind a little extra to love.