Adios, IT!

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well, as of last night (after sitting in my Intermediate Programming class half asleep icon_redface.gif)

I decided to switch my major from Network Engineering to Criminal Justice/Social Work.

I will be working in the IT field, until a.)finish school b.)find a parole/probation/correctional officer job that pays equal or more then what I make now.

Of course, I'll still come around here, as my hobby is computers. Unfortunately, I made my hobby my career, and it's just not fun anymore. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We'll miss ya! Hope you enjoy the new field though and don't forget to visit every now and again! How much schooling has the switched added?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Its very normal to change career directions a few times in one's lifetime. Its all about doing what makes you happy.

Good luck!
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can still use Testout, they have a CSI course too :D

Good luck on your new career path. I actually took the reverse approach and started with Criminal Justice in mind and switched over to IT.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Well, as of last night (after sitting in my Intermediate Programming class half asleep icon_redface.gif)

I decided to switch my major from Network Engineering to Criminal Justice/Social Work.

I will be working in the IT field, until a.)finish school b.)find a parole/probation/correctional officer job that pays equal or more then what I make now.

Of course, I'll still come around here, as my hobby is computers. Unfortunately, I made my hobby my career, and it's just not fun anymore. icon_sad.gif

I have a friend that did the same thing recently. He's happy and hopefully you will be, too! Good luck to ya.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    We'll miss ya! Hope you enjoy the new field though and don't forget to visit every now and again! How much schooling has the switched added?

Probably another year and a half for my Associate's, which is fine as long as I'm happy. icon_thumright.gif
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, little surprised by this! But hey, good luck in your new endeavour's and pop back and say hi.

Pash.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Good luck in your new career path.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    sad to see you go, but happy to hear you're pursuing what you want to do. Good luck and do come back to visit! :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I'm surprised but you have to find a career that you will enjoy since you will be doing it for a long time.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Best of Luck my Friend
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck with the new direction!
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I can haz ur stuffs? :) haha

Good luck! I know 2 probation officers, and no it is not because they are my PO's!
    They are happy with there jobs and they always have good stories.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good luck with the new path. Hopefully, you'll get over those school-doldrums with the new major. And hey, nothing says you can't continue to work in IT now that you're one of us "hands-on learners", and you don't feel like you have to both study and work with your hobby. Wherever the road takes you, good luck. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Quick question...

I'm debating if I'm making a mistake doing this. I'm wondering if it's my lack of understanding in Networking that makes me so frustrated, which is making me want to leave IT.

Anyone know how I can get over this? Because I do love IT, I'm just frustrated with networking because I can't seem to completely grasp it. icon_sad.gif
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    You're not going to learn it over night. I get frustrated with SQL Server sometimes when I don't understand some of the topics but I reread them until I understand.

I seem to have a mental block when it comes to learning/reading. I really want to learn but I have to force myself to sit down and read. I also get distracted easy.

I stay with IT because nothing else interests me and I don't really know anything else.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd focus on another area if networking isn't your thing. Most colleges will allow you to concentrate in another area and just fill the general requirements. If you do decide to stick with the law enforcement degree then I'd say keep going for certs. Nothing a law enforcement agency likes more then someone who knows computers. Parole Officers are often part of all types of special task forces and having a technology background would help you stand out. But I will forewarn you that being a PO can be really trying. Can be dealing with some of the worst scum of the earth. Good luck either way!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to say the same as the_Grinch, stick with the law-studies in school and continue working with certs and build your networking and general IT knowledge. I found that I could get only so much out of the classes, about 5% - 10% of what I currently know, the rest of my background comes from reading, studying, and practicing on my own, as well as working. Give yourself time, keep working on both your interests, and I'm sure you'll figure out if you want to really quit IT altogether, or if you're just hitting a wall. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Taser a few people for me. In all seriousness my cousin went into something like that and I think she likes it. I think more females become POs than males. At least that I hear about.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I'd focus on another area if networking isn't your thing. Most colleges will allow you to concentrate in another area and just fill the general requirements. If you do decide to stick with the law enforcement degree then I'd say keep going for certs. Nothing a law enforcement agency likes more then someone who knows computers. Parole Officers are often part of all types of special task forces and having a technology background would help you stand out. But I will forewarn you that being a PO can be really trying. Can be dealing with some of the worst scum of the earth. Good luck either way!

Agreed. Keep in mind that you don't have to be an expert per say in networking to work in IT. There's many different directions in IT to take. I think I started a thread way back and some guys on here explained the many different options to me and I decided that I really wanted to get into Windows System Administration. While I still have tons to learn about networking, routing, switches and all that fun stuff it won't stop be from doing what I really want to do.

I wouldn't sweat it too much anyways... once you start working in larger companies I'd imagine your job role would be much more specific and you won't be forced to wear as many hats as you may be now.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm wondering if it's my lack of understanding in Networking that makes me so frustrated
    What is it that you're not understanding?

Over on the Cisco side, subnetting is the first basic network skill people should master if they expect to have a future with Cisco stuff. Most people suffer through all the ones and zeros and eventually figure out how to muddle through.

Once someone has agonized over it for a while I'll usually suggest Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA book subnetting chapter and learning "the tricks." Hopefully they hit the "AH HA!!!" moment when they truely understand.

Worst case they still don't fully understand but can at least solve the basic subnetting questions (for the exam and real life).

Most people do hit that "break through moment" when they "become one with the network."

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wish you the best of luck with your change in major. I too found studying computers frustrating because a lot of what I learned in school didn't seem like I could apply it in the real world, but it won't seem like it applies until when you are seasoned with a few years of working full-time and then you'll start to put the pieces together even if they are bits and pieces...

If what you are changing into is what you want to do, there are companies that are looking for Criminal Justice personnel with I.T. backgrounds. Just like the recent article about the FBI opening up thousands of new hiring positions that are I.T. focused.

Best of luck with your change if you do go through with it. Once again, congratulations with your engagement! Hope all goes well! :)
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Most people do hit that "break through moment" when they "become one with the network."

Wow, Mike... That sounded so Yada~ish... :D
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Anyone know how I can get over this? Because I do love IT, I'm just frustrated with networking because I can't seem to completely grasp it."

When you say you love IT, what parts of it do you love? Networking is but one very small aspect of Information Technology. A lot of people who are heavily involved in IT do not really understand networking. It's not a necessity to work in the field, at least not at any in depth level.

Deciding what area you want to specialize in can be frustrating, as there are many. Maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself what areas of IT really interest you, which areas you could learn more about for hours on end and not get sick of it.

Bad instructors and/or boring classes can really make things seem uninteresting, I've been there.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What is it that you're not understanding?

Over on the Cisco side, subnetting is the first basic network skill people should master if they expect to have a future with Cisco stuff. Most people suffer through all the ones and zeros and eventually figure out how to muddle through.

Once someone has agonized over it for a while I'll usually suggest Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA book subnetting chapter and learning "the tricks." Hopefully they hit the "AH HA!!!" moment when they truely understand.

Worst case they still don't fully understand but can at least solve the basic subnetting questions (for the exam and real life).

My subnetting skills are pure fail
    /usr wrote: »
    "Anyone know how I can get over this? Because I do love IT, I'm just frustrated with networking because I can't seem to completely grasp it."

When you say you love IT, what parts of it do you love? Networking is but one very small aspect of Information Technology. A lot of people who are heavily involved in IT do not really understand networking. It's not a necessity to work in the field, at least not at any in depth level.

Deciding what area you want to specialize in can be frustrating, as there are many. Maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself what areas of IT really interest you, which areas you could learn more about for hours on end and not get sick of it.

Bad instructors and/or boring classes can really make things seem uninteresting, I've been there.

I think this is my issue. My Cisco1 class I had a HORRID teacher trying to teach me subnetting, so I really was like icon_scratch.gif the whole time. I passed with a 75, but still.

Then Cisco 2 just blew me out of the water. icon_sad.gif

At New England Tech they only offered Cisco as network classes icon_sad.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Post a list of pros and cons for each career path you're considering. Seriously, this is a good exercise, and it forces you to critically think about each option.

I will say that it's foolish to give up on IT because you're struggling with networking. Subnetting is a breeze once it clicks, and there are many things you can do that require only a rudimentary understanding of networking. However, if you want to go on to something else for legitimate reasons, then you'll have my full support icon_lol.gif
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this is my issue. My Cisco1 class I had a HORRID teacher trying to teach me subnetting, so I really was like icon_scratch.gif the whole time. I passed with a 75, but still.

Then Cisco 2 just blew me out of the water. icon_sad.gif

At New England Tech they only offered Cisco as network classes icon_sad.gif

Where I go to school, we work on 8 week classes so it is very accelerated. While our instructor was very good, many of the students didn't fully grasp the material. Once we went through Routers & Switches I and onto Routers & Switches II, anybody who didn't completely understand the material in Routers & Switches I was 100% lost and it was incredibly difficult for them to get back up to speed since it moves along so fast.

The thing with Cisco and networking in general is you need a good solid foundation for the rest of the stuff to really make sense and so you can understand it easier. In a class environment like that it's only natural to want to be covering the current material even if you are behind, but that will only make a student more discouraged since it will be difficult to comprehend. So much of what you learn builds upon what you previously learned.

Have you done much self study? The book Mike suggested (Lammle's CCNA book) is a great resource that does a fine job of explaining the content so it's easy to read and understand. Maybe if you went through that and re-read any chapters you didn't completely understand, if you do that I think you'll be on a much better foundation and things will begin to make more sense.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »
    Subnetting is a breeze once it clicks, and there are many things you can do that require only a rudimentary understanding of networking.

+1000

If you learn to think like the router thinks, it's easy. That's the problem most instructors have. They simply don't do that.

IMO, if someone explains to you subnetting by using anything but binary until the very end, they're not doing it right.
    Good luck to all!