Adios, IT!

Comments

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Subnetting is a very hard concept to grasp for most people, so your not alone. But for god's sake, don't let that steer you clear of IT. I took some Cisco classes 6-7 years ago in college. I have been a network admin at a relatively small company for the past 5 years and haven't touched a Cisco router/switch since (not that I don't like them, we just use a different vendor) and it's rare if I have to do any subnetting. Besides, just use a subnet calculator if your on the job and are getting stressed about a subnetting issue. Learn it, but don't stress over it and don't change career simply because of it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you don't like Cisco or subnetting, don't work with it. There's plenty of jobs in IT that don't require Cisco and/or subnetting (Sorry Mike icon_wink.gif).

I seriously doubt your going to have to do as much subnetting as you think. A lot of us don't do subnetting everyday.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    +1000

If you learn to think like the router thinks, it's easy. That's the problem most instructors have. They simply don't do that.

IMO, if someone explains to you subnetting by using anything but binary until the very end, they're not doing it right.
    I'm in agreement here. It seems like rocket science at first, but once you get comfortable in binary notations and learn the tricks, it's relatively straight forward.

First, get your binary/decimal conversions down. Then do every subnetting problem you can get your hands on in binary and you'll be able to SEE what's going on. It's SO much easier to understand in binary - the placement of the 1's & 0's can be very telling.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will say that with law enforcement the degree is just one step of many. Most departments will require that you pass some form of written test, then there is an interview (usually a panel), then the psyche eval, medical, and the background. If you make it through all that then you get to go through 10 to 26 weeks of fun! I'd look Federal for law enforcement because they are about the most fair I have seen with hiring. But like I said criminal justice/law enforcement degree with an IT background will help you immensely!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the topic of subnetting...

Not once in my job was I required to subnet, figure out a subnet mask, etc. I understand the topic and can explain it if need be, but the knowledge has not helped nor hindered me in my career. I am not saying that the topic is irrelevant or that it can be dimissed, all I am saying is that it isn't very important for many types of jobs in IT.

But I wouldn't give up on something just because it is difficult. Anything that is worthwhile usually takes a good amount of work, and a successful career in IT is no exception.

Also, the day in the life of someone in helpdesk support is vastly different from a DBA, or a Quality Test Engineer, or a .Net programmer, etc. I wouldn't let one bad experience turn you off from all of IT...it is really wonderfully diverse!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    porque vato? chingado IT Rules!!!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck F2B with your new career, or with subnetting if you're gonna stick it out!

(covering all options there :D )
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have stated, please do not let subnetting or the fear of other advanced networking concepts deter you from IT all together.

Subnetting is a tough concept at first for nearly everyone, until the point where you just "get it", then it truly is easy. I've been there as well. I've also been new to the ICND2 (Most likely the Cisco 2 stuff you mentioned) stuff and was completely baffled at first. It is very frustrating.

I think you should do what dynamik mentioned and list the pros and cons of the careers you're considering. Also, you might want to consider listing what you like and dislike doing when it comes to IT related things. It may help narrow down the choices a little so you can focus on something more interesting.

There are many areas of IT you won't be exposed to in school and sometimes this is deterring, especially when you've got bad teachers who don't make the material interesting.

Maybe networking isn't your thing...that's fine! There are many other areas of IT you could enjoy.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I'm just frustrated with networking because I can't seem to completely grasp it. icon_sad.gif
    Geez, how many subjects in school did I have in which I felt the same way? I just kept plugging at them and enlightenment eventually followed. Computer network and writing software is certainly like that too. When you have acquired enough experience under your belt your intuitive understand will naturally follow.

And IT pays sooooo much better than social work; please stay with us! icon_cry.gif
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    JDMurray wrote: »
    When you have acquired enough experience under your belt your intuitive understand will naturally follow>

I remember when I first took my CCNA classes in school, I was so overwhelmed by the topics, especially subnetting. I honestly thought I would never get this stuff. Then after more studying and some experience it just clicks now.

Instead of using real world analogies to describe networking I end up using networking examples to describe real world scenarios :D

My point being, if you enjoy networking stick with it, there will be a time when things click and it all makes sense. Granted things will remain challenging but you'll it least understand whats going on.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goodluck with your decision and following your passion :) there is no better feeling than doing what you love the most, with that being said everything else will follow...

Best of luck!
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The average person takes about 9-12 months to complete CCNA studies and pass the exam. Subnetting was a difficult topic to grasp at first for me as well, but just kept studying and doing practice questions that eventually I was able to get over the topic to move on. I guess I consider myself average since it took me 9 months... o_O;

Information Technology has a plethora of different topics and subject matter, you don't have to be a network guru to excel in I.T.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I thought I would never learn everything on the CCNA esp subnetting, for a long time I just didn't get it at all. One day though after reading enough, doing enough labs and just sticking with it. It all clicked one day and I haven't looked back since, and now everything keeps coming along the same way. Don't give up!!
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to post here , FadeToBright at your age 22 I have switched studies from networking to architecture cause of self esteem issues that I have had couldn't be the best no one can know everything remember that , what a mistake I did switching to architecture now I am finishing my networking degree late at the age of 25 , oh well better late than never , please don't make the same mistake as I did do think it through
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I seriously doubt your going to have to do as much subnetting as you think. A lot of us don't do subnetting everyday.

This is so very true. I think only the NOC engineers on these boards would lay claim to doing subnetting everyday, system engineers, not so much. Im ok with admitting subnetting is slowly slipping out, just needs a refresher!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The "killer app" on my first Palm Pilot was a Subnet Calculator.

While the "killer app" on my current Palm Pilot is the World Clock (since I'm working with a global team now), I still have that same Subnet Calculator app loaded and have used it 4 times in the last 222 days. I may have subnetted a few times more than that without checking my work. :D

You can always use the TechExams.net - IP Subnet Calculator at work (and while you study).

And I've got to ask.... Did you see that news article on CNN (last week?) about the states planning early prisoner releases and cutting probation times to reduce their budget shortfalls. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have to say, this community is amazing. I was talking to my fiancee last night about it, and I'm just blown away by all of your support!

Thank you Tech Exams icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What is it that you're not understanding?

Once someone has agonized over it for a while I'll usually suggest Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA book subnetting chapter and learning "the tricks."

+1

the learning curve is always painful, be it networking or anything else. I suffered a lot with many disciplines not just networking, but once you master something, it will become easy. Look for best books, and attend trainings. Just keep putting the effort and things will work out for you.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

After much thought

I think I'm sticking with IT icon_thumright.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    After much thought

I think I'm sticking with IT icon_thumright.gif

Good decision icon_cheers.gif

Welcome back to the club! Now back to subnetting, its not gonna learn its self icon_twisted.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Good decision icon_cheers.gif

Welcome back to the club! Now back to subnetting, its not gonna learn its self icon_twisted.gif

Well, I have a plan for that! Thanks to H.P.! icon_cheers.gif
    Congrats, glad to hear that you decided to stay. And don't forget, you can get into law enforcement with any degree ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Heh, heh. Welcome 127.0.0.1, we (almost) missed you. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    how about a new field ? I always wanted to be a pilot :P

welcome back :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Quick question...

I'm debating if I'm making a mistake doing this. I'm wondering if it's my lack of understanding in Networking that makes me so frustrated, which is making me want to leave IT.

Anyone know how I can get over this? Because I do love IT, I'm just frustrated with networking because I can't seem to completely grasp it. icon_sad.gif

Networking? Drop me a PM and I will see if I can help.
    *wipes the sweat of his forehead*
    Phew, that was close, we almost lost one.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    And you stay classy, FadetoBright!

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    And you stay classy, FadetoBright!

I'm Ron Burgundy?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

God I love Anchorman icon_thumright.gif
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

God I love Anchorman icon_thumright.gif

I was wondering if anyone else was going to catch on. icon_lol.gif
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am currently studying for my CCNA and was trying to understand the whole subnetting thing and wasnt getting it till I found this: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html and since i read this and figured out the little details of how subnetting works I haven't looked back since. If subnetting is giving you crap check this out. I can answer any question on subnetting?.com with no prob. It was a huge help in making it possible for me to finally subnet.
    Who put a question mark on the teleprompter? You know anything he sees he will read!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff