Options

Advancing my career

13»

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Terrible advice. If you are going to spend the next 10-30 years paying off student loans, it is okay to work hard and strive for good grades. A little stress is good for you.

I was going to say something, but I held back because I tend to get preachy when it comes to this subject. Been listening to too much Dave Ramsey :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok as a recent college grad I am hoping to pass on some knowledge.

1. Figure out what you want a degree in. Seems you've been changing your mind a bit (nothing wrong with that), but I wouldn't continue spending money and switching programs. I'd suggest a business/accounting degree because you can do a lot with those degrees. A combo of a business degree and computer certs you could pretty much do anything.

2. Go to a brick and mortar school. Name does matter and I can't tell you the number of interviews I've gotten because someone in HR or IT Department is a graduate from my school.

3. If you have a job, take your time. Solid work experience, certifications, and a degree are the trifecta.

Dynamik, I saw your question about graduate school and having a low GPA at one college and a good one at another. Most schools request transcripts from all schools attended. That being said, they look at the whole person. Letters of rec, essay, GMAT/GRE (not always required) and perhaps the GPA with courses related to the degree only. Also, as someone else stated, some will allow you to complete a couple of courses and base the decision off of that GPA. I gotta start getting all my stuff ready for graduate school!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You mama jokes, pr0n talk and career recommendations. This is the greatest thread ever! Someone stickie this thread.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I was going to say something, but I held back because I tend to get preachy when it comes to this subject. Been listening to too much Dave Ramsey :)

You can never listen to enough Dave Ramsey. :) Plenty of episodes on Hulu for the partaking!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    "Debt is dumb, cash is king"

"You have to live like no one else, so that one day, you get the opportunity to live like no one else."

Dave Ramsey is awesome!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Whenever I'm at work during the weekday, between the hours of 2 and 5, the Dave Ramsey show is streamed into our NOC.

It's sparked some... interesting discussions among co-workers hehe
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    You mama jokes, pr0n talk and career recommendations. This is the greatest thread ever! Someone stickie this thread.

Your mom looks like Dave Ramsey! :D
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Fade is it an option to maybe work part time and goto school? I did the work full time and goto school full time and know it sucks...but before then I worked 3 days a week MWF from 8-4:30 and went to class at night and on T/Th. You maybe be able to work something like that out somewhere.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    icon_lol.gif

yeah, about that. I did a lot of "soul searching" and honestly, as much as I love technology, the hectic schedule of IT work.....sucks. I'm 22 and I feel like I'm going on 55.

I want to be able to do something I love not something I'm just good at.

I will however, still be getting certs & working in IT until I'm done with college, as well as possibly taking a lower paying/less hectic role so I can focus on college.
    I'm in the exact same boat, trying to get through school so I can do what I love, while doing something I like to get by. The hectic schedule of IT work, (and retail & sales work before that,) is what's kept me in community college doing one or two classes at a time for almost 8 years now. I've finally found a slow-pace job that pays decently well, but I'll be going back full-time before long so I can actually get myself off the ground.

I agree with previous posters, you've got to bring those grades up in order to get anywhere. Doing something you really like, or even love, will most certainly help motivate you to study harder. However, you're going to have to figure out what's keeping you from pushing those C's up to being A's and B's. If you're going to do this whole school-thing, you might as well do it right. (And no, using the old "I did terrible in high school so I can't do better in college" is not a good excuse. icon_wink.gif ) Figure out what you need to do, whether it's get some tutoring, take more interesting classes, get together with a study-group on a regular basis, find some better motivation to do "boring" classes, etc. Do what it takes, get those A's, and you'll find that the doors will open up a whole lot faster for you as you advance through community college and look at universities.

I'm right there with you, though. I plan on finishing my MCSE, MCITP: EA, CCNP, (possibly more on the Cisco end,) and round out two A.S. degrees in information systems as I go along towards my degree in EECS and move on to a four-year university, then to grad-school. I like working IT, it's been a great career and I could even see myself being happy doing it as my permanent career, but it's not what I love to do. I'm going to go to school, come hell or high water, and I'm doing everything I can to make it count. If nothing else, we can always help each other keep going when we want to be lazy-butts and it all seems too overwhelming. . . you know, count off how many shots we're doing each over twitter. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    Fade is it an option to maybe work part time and goto school? I did the work full time and goto school full time and know it sucks...but before then I worked 3 days a week MWF from 8-4:30 and went to class at night and on T/Th. You maybe be able to work something like that out somewhere.

No, I need to move out as well. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat, trying to get through school so I can do what I love, while doing something I like to get by. The hectic schedule of IT work, (and retail & sales work before that,) is what's kept me in community college doing one or two classes at a time for almost 8 years now. I've finally found a slow-pace job that pays decently well, but I'll be going back full-time before long so I can actually get myself off the ground.

I agree with previous posters, you've got to bring those grades up in order to get anywhere. Doing something you really like, or even love, will most certainly help motivate you to study harder. However, you're going to have to figure out what's keeping you from pushing those C's up to being A's and B's. If you're going to do this whole school-thing, you might as well do it right. (And no, using the old "I did terrible in high school so I can't do better in college" is not a good excuse. icon_wink.gif ) Figure out what you need to do, whether it's get some tutoring, take more interesting classes, get together with a study-group on a regular basis, find some better motivation to do "boring" classes, etc. Do what it takes, get those A's, and you'll find that the doors will open up a whole lot faster for you as you advance through community college and look at universities.

I'm right there with you, though. I plan on finishing my MCSE, MCITP: EA, CCNP, (possibly more on the Cisco end,) and round out two A.S. degrees in information systems as I go along towards my degree in EECS and move on to a four-year university, then to grad-school. I like working IT, it's been a great career and I could even see myself being happy doing it as my permanent career, but it's not what I love to do. I'm going to go to school, come hell or high water, and I'm doing everything I can to make it count. If nothing else, we can always help each other keep going when we want to be lazy-butts and it all seems too overwhelming. . . you know, count off how many shots we're doing each over twitter. icon_lol.gif

Oh, you're on!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    No, I need to move out as well. icon_redface.gif

If so then maybe another option would be looking at one of the 4 year schools in your area...I know there are many ways to get free room and board during school. I know atleast at the school I did my undergrad at if you signed up to be an RA you would get a free room and meal plan. Since you say you need to move out that may not be an option.
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    If so then maybe another option would be looking at one of the 4 year schools in your area...I know there are many ways to get free room and board during school. I know atleast at the school I did my undergrad at if you signed up to be an RA you would get a free room and meal plan. Since you say you need to move out that may not be an option.

not sure what I'm going to do...

Anywho, I took a career assessment test this morning. Scored high on Industrial Art & Science...hmm...
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anywho, I took a career assessment test this morning. Scored high on Industrial Art & Science...hmm...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to these things F2B. The last one I did years back suggested I should be a doctor.....which is great! I tend to faint at the sight of blood
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The online format is very difficult for some students. If I had a penny for every student who came to me and said it was the worst mistake they ever made, I'd not be listening to whining students all day. Online classes require a lot of self-direction and self-discipline. Some people just simply are better auditory learners and really need to hear the lecture as opposed to just reading it online. Given what you have said about your academic record, I'd not be first in line to say that taking all of your classes online would be a good idea. I mean, it's your money, but if you want to really try, take only one or two classes online for the first session to see if it is really going to work for you before committing to a full load.

I'd second the idea of just sticking with the community college. Check into transfer program options to local four year institutions. That's really your best bet.

Like you said, it's dependent on the person. I'm the opposite. I got real shitty grades in class. Online classes, though, I'm getting A's and B's. I know the material, but I can do it on MY time. I don't get bored, as I can read what I need to, and take the exam when I need to.

The degree isn't everything, but some places it helps out... Well, it makes it a make or break on the application. Best thing is stay what you are doing for now. Apply for better positions, but don't quit what you have now. You might get lucky and score an awesome position. Take a couple online classes from the community college to see how they fit. Saves you gas, and if you take just a couple classes to start, you aren't losing anything. That way, credits will transfer to wherever you decide to go (WGU or otherwise), and you'll see if online is good for you.

And keep doing those certs! They help out!

But, you're in the hard part of the IT ladder. You're in it, but at the point where you want bigger and better... Once you land the admin job, you're good. You can build from there a lot easier. Just keep applying for the jobs, getting those certs and get good grades! :) You might even change some of your classes around to get ones that you enjoy a lot that count for your degree. When I get in a rut, I take all CS classes. When I get into the swing of things, I take the required crap classes (I HATE math!)...

Good luck. And some good advice: DON'T GIVE UP! :)