Options

Salary information/questions

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
When getting ready for a possible job offer, what do you guys do to research what the market value in your area is? I see Salary.com, but is their others you guys use?

Also when getting an offer, what do you guys think are the best ways to negotiate? For instance if the offer is to low, what do you say and how do you handle that?

Any other tips and advice would be great - thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check the job boards for comparable jobs; they will sometimes list a salary or salary range. Contact anyone you know in the area who might have some insight into what a position would be worth. Where are you located and what type of job is it? We have members all over the world here. Someone might be able to give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.

I'm not a master negotiator, but I'd just say be honest and don't play any games. If the offer is lower than what you want, you need to decide what that means for you. Are you in a position where you have to accept anything, or can you safely pass this job up if it doesn't meet your requirements? If you can do without it, ask them for what you want and what you think you're worth. You might also be able to negotiate for other things to make up for a lower salary. Maybe they'll give you some extra vacation time, money for training, pay for your cell phone, etc.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Check the job boards for comparable jobs; they will sometimes list a salary or salary range. Contact anyone you know in the area who might have some insight into what a position would be worth. Where are you located and what type of job is it? We have members all over the world here. Someone might be able to give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.

I'm not a master negotiator, but I'd just say be honest and don't play any games. If the offer is lower than what you want, you need to decide what that means for you. Are you in a position where you have to accept anything, or can you safely pass this job up if it doesn't meet your requirements? If you can do without it, ask them for what you want and what you think you're worth. You might also be able to negotiate for other things to make up for a lower salary. Maybe they'll give you some extra vacation time, money for training, pay for your cell phone, etc.

Hi Dynamik,

Right now I am looking into System Administration jobs and located in the state of NY, but not in NY city. Yeah I can safely pass the offers up if my requirements are not met, just looking for insight on what the best things to do when receiving job offers - thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Want to throw another question and see what you guys think.

I am in the middle of having two possible opportunities. The first one is great and I really liked the company, and they have shown much interest, however are moving slow. This one came from a recruiter so I can be in contact with them.

The other opportunity is also a good one, and they are moving a lot faster.

Since I have interest in the first one as well, should I contact the recruiter and let her know of my other possible opportunity? If an offer comes in from the second place, and the first place wants me in for another interview that could be a problem, as I would have to drop the offer just for a chance at the first place.

What would you guys do? Thanks
  • Options
    I would wait for the actual offer to come in before you do anything. Once that happens, see if you can get some time to think it over, and then contact the first company to see if they have any interest in moving along. They might not react well to that, and you wouldn't want to rock the boat unless you know you have something to fall back on.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I would wait for the actual offer to come in before you do anything. Once that happens, see if you can get some time to think it over, and then contact the first company to see if they have any interest in moving along. They might not react well to that, and you wouldn't want to rock the boat unless you know you have something to fall back on.

Sounds good - thanks again.
  • Options
    One more question about the positions I applied for.

The positions asked for salary history on the application and usually that means you have to put them on their. As far as what I wanted for a salary I said negotiable. The problem is I of course want to make more than I am now by $6K+, but now that they have my salary history I am afraid I will get a lower offer if in fact they do offer.

Of course this comes back to negotiating, as per the other post, but what is the best way to handle this type of situation, when companies ask for salary history? I know it is a method to screen out candidates etc, but I am worth more now then I was when I am started at my current place.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You know, I am always vague on salary. Heck, often you even have an NDA on your salary. So, I wouldn't sweet it to much.

Oh, and to research salary? Salary Search | Indeed.com

Hope that helps.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would be vague but do not lie. I had a background/credential check during a salary offer this summer and the salary was contingent on the completion of the credential check.

Part of the background check was my signature on a form allowing my company to disclose information such as salary.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I would be vague but do not lie. I had a background/credential check during a salary offer this summer and the salary was contingent on the completion of the credential check.

Part of the background check was my signature on a form allowing my company to disclose information such as salary.

Ok, that is one that is straight up fact. Don't EVER lie. It will come back to get ya.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    No I would not lie about anything :P - thanks guys
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would flat out refuse to disclose salary history. Past salary isn't a performance indicator and the only use I can see for it is for a company to use an excuse to low ball you, rather than fitting you into what you are worth to them. When questioned about my past salary I just tell them that it is confidential, but I can disclose the range I am looking for. That satisfies the majority, and only a few times has a potential employer gotten pushy about it. In which case it was their loss of a potentially fantastic employee.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I would flat out refuse to disclose salary history. Past salary isn't a performance indicator and the only use I can see for it is for a company to use an excuse to low ball you, rather than fitting you into what you are worth to them. When questioned about my past salary I just tell them that it is confidential, but I can disclose the range I am looking for. That satisfies the majority, and only a few times has a potential employer gotten pushy about it. In which case it was their loss of a potentially fantastic employee.

Yeah I guess that was my mistake - I think if I do get an offer they are going to low ball me, but I will come back with an counter-offer and if they refuse, well as you said it is their loss for a great employee.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at job websites like dice, monster, netemp... look at similar job and compare them.. I don't trust those online salary websites.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Another question -

I was called by one of the company's I am looking into and they wanted be to go do a drug test which I went and did Monday (towards the end of the day.) - One of my friends and a person I worked with who is one of my references said they called a few days ago. I have not heard from them yet though. How long does it take a drug test to go through? (their will be no problems.)

Looks like they will be making an offer, but have not heard back. Should I contact them after a week or wait until they call?

Thanks
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    usually from my experience they make a verbal offer contingent upon completion of a background check if one is needed. I have never had to take a drug test before the offer was made though.
  • Options
    usually from my experience they make a verbal offer contingent upon completion of a background check if one is needed. I have never had to take a drug test before the offer was made though.

Yeah I never had to take a drug test before an offer was made as well, but I guess that is how they do their application process.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    sharptech wrote: »
    Yeah I never had to take a drug test before an offer was made as well, but I guess that is how they do their application process.

I had to actually pass a background check before I could even get an offer letter. A lot of companies seem to be doing it that way anymore. good luck on the position!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    sharptech wrote: »
    Another question -

I was called by one of the company's I am looking into and they wanted be to go do a drug test which I went and did Monday (towards the end of the day.) - One of my friends and a person I worked with who is one of my references said they called a few days ago. I have not heard from them yet though. How long does it take a drug test to go through? (their will be no problems.)

Looks like they will be making an offer, but have not heard back. Should I contact them after a week or wait until they call?

Thanks
    Depends on who they use to do the lab work and where it has to go. In my experience it usually only takes 24 hrs.

Edit: You did study, didn't you?
  • Options
    Yeah I thought the drug test would take 1-2 days max, but considering I went late on Monday, the results could of came in yesterday. (Results will be fine as I do not do drugs etc..) I know they were checking references, but still no call.

Should I shoot an email to the HR director, or wait longer?
  • Options
    So.. when you would guys follow up w/ the HR director? As noted I talked to her last Friday when she asked me to go in for the drug test on Monday. I do not want to seem to anxious, but at the same time things were moving pretty quick and now have not heard anything.

Thanks
  • Options
    If you were expecting to hear back, I don't think there's any harm in shooting off an email to see where things are at. It is only an email after all. It's not like you're waiting in the bushes outside of his/her house... are you?
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

I took a seasonal retail job (a national chain) and they required a drug test. I've also worked for banks where you also need to be bonded so they'll do an exhaustive background check including being fingerprinted.

I worked for a K-12 school district and had to get fingerprinted and ran a criminal check.

I had a secret clearance when I got my military commission. More fingerprinting, credit and an FBI background check. They warned if you had even so minor of an infraction as a parking ticket in your past - fess up now.
  • Options
    Dynamik - LOL no not waiting in the bushes ;p

I shot the HR director an email and she said they will be making a decision early next week, so we will see what happens.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Usually 24 hours for a test like this to come back.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote: »
    Usually 24 hours for a test like this to come back.

Yeah, that's what I thought, they have the results, it is just deciding on the candidate now.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    any luck?

wish you luck
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    any luck?

wish you luck

Not yet, going to hear early this week.

Thanks!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would say it depends on the person. I was afraid to disclose my salary when I got this position. I provided them with the salary history from previous jobs and they came back and offered me $10,000 more than I was making at my current job. I spoke with HR and asked them if the manager would be willing to provide me with $3,000 more than what they offered. I didn't say it like that though. They came back around 20 minutes later and accepted it. I signed my offer letter, set up the start date, needless to say, I quit my other job that day. This job is 15 minutes from my house, vs. two hours of travel one way to Alexandria, VA every day. Yeah, it wasn't a tough decision. LOL. Not only that they give raises every year based on your performance and any further certifications you have received.

If you don't hear anything shoot them a call. I wouldn't call "all" the time. But, it definitely shows that you are interested in the position.
  • Options
    I would say it depends on the person. I was afraid to disclose my salary when I got this position. I provided them with the salary history from previous jobs and they came back and offered me $10,000 more than I was making at my current job. I spoke with HR and asked them if the manager would be willing to provide me with $3,000 more than what they offered. I didn't say it like that though. They came back around 20 minutes later and accepted it. I signed my offer letter, set up the start date, needless to say, I quit my other job that day. This job is 15 minutes from my house, vs. two hours of travel one way to Alexandria, VA every day. Yeah, it wasn't a tough decision. LOL. Not only that they give raises every year based on your performance and any further certifications you have received.

If you don't hear anything shoot them a call. I wouldn't call "all" the time. But, it definitely shows that you are interested in the position.

Nice, def. worked out for you - that is excellent!

The difference between my job now and this one is that the one I am in now is more or less entry level and I have been doing this for almost 10 years now. When I was brought in to the job I was supposed to be higher level, doing more project work and now at times I sit at the help desk :P

The point is if I am offered this job it should be a big jump in salary as was yours. First though I need the offer letter and then can go from their. If no offer then it is time to keep looking, however in my area there is almost next to nothing for jobs in this field.
  • Options
    Got the job offer today as a system/network administrator! The offer was much more then I expected (about 20K more than I am making now,) so not to much room to negotiate as I was happy with the offer. I am going to go offer the full details and the sign (benefits and vacation are excellent.)

Looking forward to my new place of work!

Thanks everyone for helping out and answering questions, this forum has been such a great help!