Options

85 Days until my CCIE VOICE LAB

124»

Comments

• Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Tough luck. Keep your head held high and go smash this thing the next time.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Beat the crap out of it the next time.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Chris.MChris.M Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sure hope I have your resolve and determination when I start my trek for CCIE:Voice later this summer.. Keep it up, we all know you will make it!
    "[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools. ~Napoleon"[/FONT]

Completed: CCIE:Voice Written - Passed 4/14/11.
    In Progress: CCIE:Voice Lab - ETA 12/2011.
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    There is one good thing about have had taken so many test's, I have a better idea of what technologies I need to focus on. But I still don't trust their score reports, but at least its something to look at.

Update: One week after starting to study again, and its alittle harder to get back in the grove, I ended up not studding on the weekend but did put in good time during the week, So I am on Lab5 Work Book 1 of IPX's stuff.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Luckycharms,

We all have days like that, i clock 40 to 60 hours a week on study ATM
    and i have a day every now and then where i say **** :) rest day.

I have to say i like your determination, i will be doing the same thing, one way or another i will get my CCIE R&S.

I am on the first round of study, going through and labbing all the books (around 24 volumes) and the CCIE v3 stuff.
    From there i will re-read all the books while following the V4 blueprint.

If my eyes last the pace ;)

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Lucky.. Im going for my first attempt next month.. Any advice you can give without getting into anything NDA? I got to admit I am a bit nervous.. I know time-management is key.. Any tips you can provide ? Thanks!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    Luckycharms,

We all have days like that, i clock 40 to 60 hours a week on study ATM
    and i have a day every now and then where i say **** :) rest day.

I have to say i like your determination, i will be doing the same thing, one way or another i will get my CCIE R&S.

I am on the first round of study, going through and labbing all the books (around 24 volumes) and the CCIE v3 stuff.
    From there i will re-read all the books while following the V4 blueprint.

If my eyes last the pace ;)

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

Thats a lot of study time. On a good week I get 10 - 20 hours in what with work and family. If you can keep on grinding 40 - 60 hours out for a long period of time you should be fine!
  • Options
    Kelkin,
    1. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM YOUR PLAN!!!! NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS
    2. Observe everything about the test. ( Not so much on the specific technologies but how and what are they asking you to accomplish. EVERY WORD MATTERS IN THE TEST!!!)
    3. RELAX - People put a lot of pressure on the first time pass mentality, but If it takes you 17 times or once they still give you the same thing.

And most important
    4. Enjoy the experience, its a wild ride.

Sirsamon,
    I am with Turgon you are extremely lucky person if you are able to study for 40 to 60 hours a week, keep up the grind and you will do just fine. But make sure that with the amount of time you are able to study per week you give yourself time to comprehend what the labs are trying to proof. I honestly think that labs are not the end all for studying for the CCIE lab. All the time you spent in the books for the Professional level certs you can almost double/triple that in SRND/doc's that you will read for the Expert level Certs.

Update: I have gone through 6 labs now and have a long weekend to STUDY!!!! icon_cheers.gif will most likely finish up the rest of the labs this weekend, and next week is scheduled to re-do any labs that I felt I might have stumbled a pone. But as of right now I am flying through these things..probably because I have done them countless times...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    Update: I have spent the last 3 days furiously studding, lot of time with things that might take time to trouble shoot. Listed below. I am almost done with all the IPX WB1 labs, and have a few days scheduled to go over labs that that I didn't fly through. On average I am doing it in 1/2 or less of the proposed time to finish.

1. Troubleshooting Conference Bridge with RSVP (Wouldn't think the two would have anything to do with each other but it they aren't configured correctly then you can have all kinds of trouble)
    2. IPMA - Simply because I don't configure it very often.
    3. Deeper Unity/CUE Configurations.
  • Options
    Update: Well I am on the last lab of IPX WB1 and I am running a little behind the proposed schedule but Oh well...I flew through the IPCC lab, which I usually have problems on, as I don't script in my day to day. But on the simplest lab I am having the most problems.. Presence.. For some reason I am just hitting my head on ever little thing. Back to it...
  • Options
    Yea my stumbling blocks are presense and QoS. I am hoping one of these days its just going to click..
  • Options
    Wow, when you stop studding or actually go out and reclaim the prior life you had before studding it makes it really hard to start agein...But I am going to try to get back into the groove starting today!!!. I am going to start IPX WB2 lab 1 today, shouldn't have any problem finishing it up tonight and grade it tomorrow. I will post on the results.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Wow, when you stop studding or actually go out and reclaim the prior life you had before studding it makes it really hard to start agein.

Your not wrong I find it tough going for about a week or so untill I get back in the motivatin grove. I tend to use this time to brush over revision notes before I start going in depth.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Well, Its taken me longer then expected to finish my first lab back. Not because of difficulty but because of time. Work has started to pick up and only getting to work on a lab for 1 or 2 hours a day if I am lucky is hard. But I did finish the first lab with very little trouble, I have a few notes but going to clean the configurations tonight and start on a new one tomorrow...

Notes
    1. Always check routing configuration first!!!!
    2. Dbreplication issues are not always quickly discovered - always check status
    3. h323 (GK) H450.2 H450.3 H450.7 H450.12 - emptycapabilties... Don't forget what each one is used for.
    4. (not really voice spacifice note but no logging buginf - is a dirty command for troubleshooting.-)
    5. Remote FAC codes - Trying to pass FAC codes from UCME to UCM is not supported nor will it work.

On a secondary note I think I am going to just start a blog as this thread has kind of lost what it was initially intended for, for all of you that have put up with my constant ranting and notes I thank you. I will continue to post as to status updates of my test's but think i am going to try to find a day to day blog area to post notes in... I will post a link when created. thanks
  • Options
    Wow you werent kidding about time managment.. I just took the lab and dang can they cram anything else in a 8hr block? :)

So Lucky where you at! You keeping me motivated.. Im scheduling my second attempt! Just found out work isnt paying thou.. ohwell..
  • Options
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Im scheduling my second attempt!
    Good to hear, getting back on the horse is a lot easier if you do it right after falling off. I have been studding and am scheduled to take if Nov. 5.

I meant to respond to your post earlier, I am glad that my little rants and comments have helped you and anyone else that have been following this thread. One of the things that I took away after my first attempt was that I needed to become faster at task interpretation, the idea of not just knowing what they are asking for but the understanding what down the line is going to trip me up if I make a decision based on the question at hand. So that if they want a MGCP gateway, I know that I am going to have a problem when they ask for MVA later on. Little things like that. Not sure if this applies to you but I found things like that to be the biggest time wasters.

Have Fun Studding!!!
  • Options
    I know what you mean.. and I totally agree.. its one of the things that tripped me up on my first attempt.. i made a decision and down the line had to redo it because of another task. I took from that experience not only to get faster at interpreating but also make sure not just skim through but read every word.
  • Options
    Starting Lab 4 of Workbook 2 tonight, going to give my self 3 hours and then pick up tomorrow. I also started a blog, I will continue to post here as well though. I am going to use it mainly for posting more indepth information about each lab and caveats that I find. This is by no means a nice looking blog or anything its simply up there for information.

http://www.luckysccie.blogspot.com
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Starting Lab 4 of Workbook 2 tonight, going to give my self 3 hours and then pick up tomorrow. I also started a blog, I will continue to post here as well though. I am going to use it mainly for posting more indepth information about each lab and caveats that I find. This is by no means a nice looking blog or anything its simply up there for information.

http://www.luckysccie.blogspot.com

Its been a while. How are your studies going for lab attempt no 3?
  • Options
    Thanks Turgon I have been so busy with work i have not been able to study. But as of this week I am reaffirming my self and want to to go back in late January.
  • Options
    Nice to hear you still around Lucky! Im rootin for ya.. Im preparing for round 2 myself.. shooting for Feb..

Spending lots of time with Layer 2 QoS.. for some reason its just not clickin like it should..
  • Options
    Man it took me for ever to figure that out. The qos srnd has everything you will need, I have taken weeks just to draw it out on whiteboards so don't feel bad you will get it.
  • Options
    Man it took me for ever to figure that out. The qos srnd has everything you will need, I have taken weeks just to draw it out on whiteboards so don't feel bad you will get it.

So you set a date yet? :)
  • Options
    Evanz ZidEvanz Zid Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! Hope U will get through this time!
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Where you at LC? Still plugging away?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

That SRND is extremely helpful. Did you take your lab?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I have alot going on but I am still studing, I have my next lab schedualed for April 30.
  • Options
    Good hear from you Lucky.. glad you are pushing forward.. Good luck with the Lab!
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have alot going on but I am still studing, I have my next lab schedualed for April 30.

NICE! Best of luck with the re-take!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay motivated man- it's crunch time. Best of luck to you on the upcoming attempt!