Options

David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey Silver, great to see you here.

Repetition is one of the big ways to get the knowledge to stick :) I completed CCNP 3 years ago so a lot of the "base" knowledge is still there. I just need to read deeper now. The OECG is good, but doesn't quite go into "massive" detail. My method is generally to read that guide, then dive deeper into any of the CCIE Pro Dev textbooks.

I intend to use GNS3 for the purpose of the written exam for the routing portions as it's a free lab in effect. The switching is a bit more difficult, but there are a lot of cheap options now available. However, due to the many rumours circulating that Cisco is on the verge of announcing a new blueprint shortly (Apparently at Cisco Live on the 23rd-27th)

I have some INE/CBT Nuggets videos but they are old. I need to take a subscription. Tempted to just say screw it and buy the 2 year INE and get all of the goodies. Even though it would cost me around £1300 sterling, it just seems to make sense. Though, as a trial I guess taking out the £60 a month option would be good to get a taste of the content that is there. Also, spending £60 a month, I guess I'd have to use it too.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I am pretty sure you can get most of a CCIE done these days without laying out too much money. I don't absolutely *need* video training, but I do like the anecdotal and real world nuggets that you get from the guys who write the things because they know what they are doing and actually have done it enough times out there to give you a little leg up in theoretical videos. Though, as my job is Network Engineering, I do find that I don't really need a supplement for this anymore - I have enough fun in this job now.
  • Options
    silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the reply, i have taken the £60 a month subscription at the moment untill i need the workbook, which can be purchased for about £191 if you have the monthly all access pass!

I purchased it to use as "revision" with the videos. As i completed my CCNP about 6 months ago all of that is quite fresh so i am just keeping the ball rolling!

how are you doing reading wise, what books have you decided to read in order?
  • Options
    Hmm £191 on £60 a month isn't bad. Though with the 2 year - you get the lot I believe, across multiple tracks, which was appealing to me as I think I would like to take a different CCIE after the first.
  • Options
    i agree, but! if you look at the 10day bootcamp courses, if you buy one, $6000, you get all access pass for 2 years included, so you save that money infact (thats my plan) Other wise id of purchased the 2 year one also, but then $5999 for the bootcamp if i did want to do it ontop of that
  • Options
    Hmm that is a very good point, but then by the time you add the cost of travel on top and hotels.... Suddenly it'll be closer to like $6-7K

Unless I win the lottery (Or I am just somehow, very, very lucky indeed!) I doubt I'd be going the bootcamp route :)
  • Options
    Haha yeah i understand that!
  • Options
    Probably did like 6 hours last night. A good night. I'm rethinking my exam strategy now though - I really would like the written done as soon as. I need a morale booster. So I'm going to leave the (heavy) labbing for a while, and purely concentrate on the content in OECG.

I don't pay for the exams anyway, so it's not like it's a dent in *my* wallet :)
  • Options
    Finished EIGRP in the OECG. Continuing straight on into OSPF. Probably done about another 5 hours today when all is said and done. Will update the counter.

Not sure I will hit my end of August target, but I'll try my best. Need consistent studying done in my off days (I get 4 days off a week though one of those is after getting up from a night shift - so can't do much in that time)

Night shifts help too.
  • Options
    Finished up OSPF in the OECG. I know I am going to have to look at it again though, I am not 100% remembering all of the concepts yet. Now that I have covered two routing protocols - what to do next... Go straight into the behemoth that is BGP? Or break things up and go elsewhere?

Luckily, having done the CCNP and regularly work with networking, I can afford to jump around the sections a bit as I'm not going into anything blind - I am fairly familiar with the technologies, though it has been some years since I have touched some of them. Though, IPv6 I will admit is still a bit of a mystery to me. May tackle this next. I've got "Understanding IPv6" which is an MS Press textbook, but I have it on very good authority that it is a pretty good resource for learning IPv6 too.

I've been ticking off the topics as I've been going through the syllabus. What originally seemed like a never ending list of technologies, ticking off almost a page worth of boxes feels good and does at least indicate I am making some progress.

The network security area should be quickly dispatched with also - I not long ago did CCNA: Security and the Firewall exam (from CCNP:S).

Decisions, decisions.

Finishing it up for today, adding 5 more hours to the clock. It does feel like a bit of a hard slog at times, hence I must find something different to do tomorrow to break it up.
  • Options
    Been going through a BGP video series, 6 hours into that today marks some solid progress.

It's a big ol' protocol but I'm enjoying re-learning it again. Once I'm finished up with the videos - I'll be diving into "Internet Routing Architectures" which is the bible of BGP for Cisco.

Once I'm done with that, I think I'll either tackle IPv6, MPLS, or QoS..... hmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Ahh just about to finish 2nd day shift.

Going to go home, have dinner, watch TV, play some 3DS, then about 12-1am I'll be firing up the computer and starting more study. I need to be up late tonight as I'm working next two nights. I am a night owl so I can spend a good 4-5 hours studying or derping about depending on how I'm feeling.

I've been fiddling with GNS3 today - got it running in a VMWare Workstation machine so that I can blow it up and pull the machine apart without affecting my main machine.

So, hopefully get a massive chunk of BGP done tonight in the video series I am watching. Once I've gone through all the theory once, I will start labbing to some minor degree to get the written cleared.
  • Options
    Sadly I mainly derped last night but did get through another hour of BGP videos. Going to continue on now as I have started my next 12 hour shift. Off for the next four though so I've got almost a fortnight off work. Nice.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No worries on not taking a bootcamp. There's nothing there you can't learn elsewhere. The strategy tips are nice, but the cisco doc is free, and has a lot more info :)

Keep up the good work..it should be a fun journey!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, bootcamp I'm really not worried about. I've never had a Cisco class before so I assume I'll be good to learn by myself ;)

Doc CD will become a good place to learn from - quite logical as you only get this in the exam.
  • Options
    Blasted through 6 hours of BGP videos tonight. Still boggles my brain a little, but I've learned an absolute ton. Will finish up the last few videos tomorrow night, and then get started going through "Internet Routing Architectures" and making notes.

After this, I think I will mix it up and go IPv6. Mainly because I can then look at IPv6 routing protocols, so makes sense to go this route and finish up all the routing protocol activity I have to worry about. I can then go through it all again and start making labs.

I note that gns3-vault has a great source of labs, but I do have the BSCI and BCMSN lab books from Cisco Press too that I used for those exams back in the day. They may be old now but they would still be a valid source of getting some learning done from labs.

My GNS lab VM is up and running now and that seems to be happy, so now I can start labbing in anger. I've got IOU as well but I haven't really done much with it yet. I hear it can cover all my switching needs............
  • Options
    So, I've finished up all the BGP videos. I've started IPv6 - about 3 hours in to 20 odd hour series already. Interesting shift in how routing protocols are operated but nothing revolutionary that would confuse.

Going to continue on through this then take a look at the Understanding IPv6 textbook I have as well. In all reality, I am not sure if I will hit my August 28th Written date, but I have nearly gone through all the topics once already and it is very early July. Might put it back but would love to get it nailed and out of the way as soon as possible.

In the meantime I've built a GNS Virtual Machine to play with and I've found all my CCNP Lab workbooks that I bought so that I can get properly re-acquainted with labbing all this stuff.
  • Options
    So I kinda really lost it with IPv6 early on :D I decided that I need to cover MPLS in some form as well, and QoS before IPv6 so I've rerouted my effort for the time being. Going through the MPLS Fundamentals book at the moment and I've managed to get through the first 5 chapters. Mainly because, from what I can see, ATM and MPLS are not covered on the exam so I've not read it... CEF review in Chapter 6 tomorrow so we'll get on with that.

Once I've gotten through what I need to do in this text then I'll crack on with QoS then IPv6. I've got Multicast left to do after this, and there is some Multicast IPv6 stuff too - so hopefully you can see my rationale for leaving IPv6 for "last"

All the miscellaneous stuff then like Services and Security. Security shouldn't ought to be too difficult as I sat CCNA: Security and Firewall this year, so that should be a good bit of review once again.

So that really is about it. Once I've gotten through all of this as a first run, I guess I will then start labbing to get the concepts nailed, and start getting in deep with all the topics. Now that I've been through the majority of it once though, it doesn't "feel" like it is an impossible task anymore and I've really only been going at it with any real commitment for the past few weeks. I think the counter now should be about 50 hours after today, I'm not really 100% sure. I've been here all day anyway and while I do pop back and forth between studying, tinkering with something,, and then studying again I think 5 hours is a fair approximation.

I should really start using my phone which has a stopwatch on it :D

My only other consideration at this point now is - do I continue with theory and aim for the written in August, or just keep going and take the written "on the way?" - I've got the written booked and paid for, so I can just move it as and when I feel.

Taking it "en route" seems the more sensible option given that one is preparing for the lab ultimately anyway. It would make sense to take it later to allow more room for "failure" of the lab - it is a concept I've seen mentioned on here a few times.
  • Options
    Read through the MPLS Fundamentals book. A difficult read in places because it is repeated so often.

Had two days break from the studies as it is my Wife's Birthday today, but I've still managed another 2 hours study. Started on QoS Videos now, last real major topic before I go back and look at IPv6 and then onto the miscellaneous items (Of which there are many...)

So, up to 55 hours. Not bad at all, but nowhere near enough, yet. Though I am not in work until Friday (I love shifts) and so a good week of more study beckons. Will I aim for the written at the end of August? All of a sudden it feels like a real possibility.

I've heard that the v5 lab may be coming in for May 2014. Having the written exam passed and in my pocket could leave me being able to get one of the last v4 spots of a lab, if I fancy doing it in 11 months all told. I'm crazy enough to believe I could pull that off given my study routine.
  • Options
    Another two hours of QoS Videos just done, but now the wife is calling me.

I could barrel on longer, but sadly, not today.

Back in the morning to finish off the QoS stuff then hopefully march on with IPv6.
  • Options
    Interim progress report for the day. Just finished up the last of the QoS videos, going to pick up with the IPv6 stuff now, reckon I've got about 4 and a bit hours left there.

I also remember that I haven't even touched Multicast yet either. Oh well. Will get these 4.5 hours of IPv6 done then look at a Multicast. Making good progress though and I've got 3 more full days before working. Work Saturday too so that's 12 hours, then two night shifts to get up to another 24 hours in. If I can complete my first pass by the end of the week, I will be very happy. I will then start to create simple lab topologies in GNS3 to start mastering the individual technologies. So far though I've had a very good refresher of all of the stuff up until now. That CCNP really helped getting the base level of knowledge down.
  • Options
    Very briefly gone through Multicast, Security and the "miscellaneous" stuff.

The trouble with Security and Misc is that I've covered it all before in one manner or another so reading it again (and multicast to an extent) is becoming dry and boring, and I'm also dying to start labbing and actually "doing stuff" alongside a very deep study of all the technologies.

As I have now been through everything once, I don't feel like this is an impossible task now like I did about only 4-6 weeks ago when I seriously started studying for the CCIE. When I began it did feel a bit of a mountain, now, not so much.

I did do nearly 100 hours before (I found some old counters on my twitter account) - so I'm not sure if those hours are still legal despite being like 2 years ago when I tried before, so you could say I've done 160 hours worth, not to mention the hours that I would have actually worked with the technologies, as I do day to day at least.

So to start labbing, I've got some lab books from when I did the CCNP, and I think they are a good method to get back onto the horse so to speak. I've got the latest GNS (0.8.4) - man that looks snazzy.

If I find I'm hitting hurdles through not having all the equipment (I have a single 3550 and everything else is virtual) then I guess I may have to bite the bullet, but I am trying my best to virtualise everything to keep down my costs.

Right, well, to the lab!
  • Options
    Started taking detailed notes about RIP today, 3 hours in. Going to try and get more done tomorrow, not a very good today.

Weather is killing me at the moment, far too hot!
  • Options
    Went through a ton of RIP today, starting collating and writing down notes in Word, i.e. typing up my written notes in order to start creating concise "easy reminder" tips for myself.

Going well, but a lot more reading to do yet. I mean, RIP isn't all that exciting but I suppose it would be important to make sure I get the basics nailed down and then know how to find out the more advanced stuff when I need to.

Found that there are a wealth of pre-made labs up on gns3vault which I'll work through, although somewhat annoying is the fact that you need to alter the topology file to get it to work (i.e. replacing localhost with an IP address, dealing with the fact that even though I am working on a Windows computer, the kind fellow who created the lab was working on a Linux machine, so removing the POSIX-style filenames and pointing it all to Windows based paths is fun)

I figure maybe dual booting my PC with Ubuntu would be worth trying, but then my sound card wouldn't work as there is no Linux support for it. And then that would mean I couldn't watch any videos or stream Youtube or anything, so I guess I'll live with it as it is for now.

Though, the alternative would of course be to run GNS inside Ubuntu inside VirtualBox....... A bit extreme but meh, easily possible.

If I do decide to buy some switches (And I am keeping a keen eye on Cisco for any CCIE v5 announcement before committing to spending on kit) then I guess I'll bite the bullet and dual boot. My one quad port NIC won't work on Windows anyway so that does that.
  • Options
    Into 80 hours now. Started deep dives on each of the technologies, and started my note taking regime.

Not quite made as much progress as I would like lately, but final night shift tonight then 3.5 days off to make good some more progress.

Feeling fired up today though, and I've blown away my Microserver to try ZFS on Linux as well. Fun times.
  • Options
    Not a good few days. Feeling washed out today so am taking break and getting some beer in. Back to it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Keep it up (not the drinking haha) How are you finding the Deep dives?
  • Options
    Well its been good but the impending v5 change concerns me. I'm thinking more about going back to basics and reading the OECG and complementing as opposed to trying to take on too much in one go. A pass at the written would settle me. I'm going to read OECG again from here on and aim for a written pass in 4-6 weeks.
  • Options
    Also - I did not realise just how much great content is available for free via the Cisco Live 365 website. I watched an hour long session by Anthony Sequeira - utter gold - and free!!!
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well its been good but the impending v5 change concerns me.
    I'm curious--what concerns you about v5? One speculation was that it would include "IPv6 everywhere, including IPv6 Security & No more RIPv2". Personally, I would welcome such a change, as I see more and more IPv6 everyday, and RIPv2 rarely!
  • Options
    Fear of the unknown.

Highly irrational.

More IPv6 wouldn't bother me.

Less RIP would be nice as would less Frame Relay.

Though having looked at all the content there is nothing I can't learn.

Meh v5 or not then icon_smile.gif