Options

Revamped CCVP Lab Setup

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    and when are you gonna open it up to me for rental lol

seriously nice looking rack..... I mean lab!
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    and when are you gonna open it up to me for rental lol

hehe - I'll have to hook the access server up to the ASA one of these days :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    Very Nice PitViper..

my lab is going to look very similar to this.. yours is all nice n neat.. part of good net mgmnt is how clean the network is built out.
  • Options
    Not to thread jack.. but heres my WIP... still waiting on another 2811 and 3 more vwics ..then its on. got some short serial cables to keep things neat. make some short eth-45/48s too. Pits pic is ideal.. wish i had your setup..way nicer.

th_IMAG0088.jpg

th_IMAG0081.jpg
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    That looks pretty sick with the 2811s and that 3750. Is that an 877w? Work just bought a couple 881's and they're damn nice for SOHO equipment.

Where did you get your 3750 and 2811 from? If it's ebay then I dunno how you can afford that, or I guess I dunno how to play the game.
  • Options
    Thanks.. its an 881W / 3750-48-ps from ebay.. i waited a long time for the right deal to come along.. grabbed this sucker up for 1k shipped.. i thought for sure i was going to get a brick but it TOK. the 2811s are from Ebay.. again.. waited and waited .. getting them for 550 shipped ;) interfaces are fake.. some work, some dont.. but for the lab/price..u cant go wrong lol.
  • Options
    I have switch envy :) Wanted a 3750 but ended up going with 2x 3560s instead.

Like tokhss, all of my 2811s/2821 are from ebay as well.
  • Options
    PITVIPER.. i didnt want switch envy either.. after our convo.. i kept looking back at the 3560 and the 3750 and it just looked so much nicer lol.. im superficial
  • Options
    tokhss wrote: »
    PITVIPER.. i didnt want switch envy either.. after our convo.. i kept looking back at the 3560 and the 3750 and it just looked so much nicer lol.. im superficial

That's OK... I'm running a full 3750 IP Services IOS on the NME-16ES-1G-P module :)
  • Options
    Not to thread jack.. but heres my WIP...

Looking good!!!! You going to pop that gear into a rack at some point?
  • Options
    I hate you ! lol i really want one of those too... maybe at some point i will.

pitviper wrote: »
    That's OK... I'm running a full 3750 IP Services IOS on the NME-16ES-1G-P module :)
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    Looking good!!!! You going to pop that gear into a rack at some point?

Yeah.. i got a rack but im 50 50 on it right now.. im liking the space im saving right now without it. i got mini spacers for the 2511 and 2650 for air. the rest are all side vent as u know.
  • Options
    GuyManDudeGuyManDude Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for taking the time to post your lab specs guys. I really appreciate the help in figuring out what I need to build my own lab. The dilemma I have right now is whether to buy used vwic-2mft-t1 or vwic2-2mft-t1. Can the vwic-2mft-t1 and vwic-2mft-e1 cards perform all the channelized PRI stuff necessary for CCIE voice labs?

Those dang vwic2's are so much more expensive than the vwic's. Also, I am not concerned with buying knock off versions of the cards as long as they work. We need to save as much money as we can... Can anyone recommend a source of them?

TIA.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard!

The general consensus is that the VWIC2s are unnecessary for a CCVP/CCIE:Voice lab. Old post here with comparison:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/52792-vwic2-1mft-t1-e1-vs-vwic-1mft-t1.html

As for where to find them cheap, I went the ebay route for almost all of my gear.
  • Options
    Ebay is the source Neo. less than 100 bucks on used equipment for the vwics. most sellers with high feedback will refund or you replace the card. i had 2 parts doa and got them returned or exchanged. well worth the cost savings.

also, agreed with Pit.. no need for vwic2/// vwics will do the job just fine.
  • Options
    Thanks again. Can the VWIC-1MFT-T1 cards be connected back-to-back or do they require a CSU?

If they can be connected back-to-back, what cable would you use please?
  • Options
    GuyManDude wrote: »
    Thanks again. Can the VWIC-1MFT-T1 cards be connected back-to-back or do they require a CSU?

If they can be connected back-to-back, what cable would you use please?

They can be connected back to back. You just need a T-1 Crossover cable:

=t1_crossover.png
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also try this little tool that will do the "crossover" for you, for $30 that is. Pretty cool looking tool, but more so for a network testing kit, I'm probably going to pick one up. HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can also try this little tool that will do the "crossover" for you, for $30 that is. Pretty cool looking tool, but more so for a network testing kit, I'm probably going to pick one up. HTH

-Peanut

That thing looks sweet as hell. I think that (if it works well) I want one. I wonder if there are any throughput issues or anything like that.
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can always get pre-made cross-over cables

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com.au/UTP-Voice-data-T1-E1-Crossover-back-to-back-Cable-5FT-/230416770484?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a5e8e5b4

They work fine. Always get extra though, I bought 4 and 1 is temperamental.
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I have to agree. Sweet little tool. I'll have to pick one up just to try it out.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Coincidentally, I was listening to Packet Pushers' podcast today (2nd or 3rd episode) and they mentioned this tool. Then I went to Jeremy Ciaora's blog and he had an article on it. That was so weird that a day or so after discovering this tool, these other places were talking about them. Still cool... I'm ordering mine today!!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I snagged one of those for my toolbag from ThinkGeek.com a month or so ago. It's cool but honestly, since most laptops and newer switches do auto-MDIX, the only thing of use is the T1 x-over which isn't used much and if needed, I would just make a cable (same with a loopback plug) since it's too expensive to leave the adapter behind! Would be nice for lab use if someone didn't want to make their own cables.
  • Options
    Got myself some 2811 routers but they didn't come with rack mount kits. Can anyone that has a 2801 and a 2811 confirm whether the rackmount kits are identical please? eBay sellers use generic pics so I can't be sure and the price difference is silly. $7 vs 37 !!

One more question. Are the VWIC-1MFT-T1-DIR cards useful for our labs or should I stick to the non-DIR versions please?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Nice choice on the 2811s!! icon_cool.gif
    Got myself some 2811 routers but they didn't come with rack mount kits. Can anyone that has a 2801 and a 2811 confirm whether the rackmount kits are identical please? eBay sellers use generic pics so I can't be sure and the price difference is silly. $7 vs 37 !!

Brackets are different between the 2 models.
    One more question. Are the VWIC-1MFT-T1-DIR cards useful for our labs or should I stick to the non-DIR versions please?

“DI” should be fine (though you aren’t really tested on the added drop and insert function)
    “DIR” model is NO GOOD – these only work in some really old wireless edge routers
  • Options
    I find it that you can get really good deals on ebay for the 2mft - DI model.. i got a DI in my psnt switch .. think i got it for like 50-60 bucks? dont remember.. made in mexico =D lol.. pit have you noticed cisco prices on ebay have jumped up a bit for no reason ?? im trying to find my last 2811 for a good price and dang its just not happening!! >icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    C:%5CTemp%5CWindows%20Stuff%5CTT%5CTypeFaster%5Cpictures%5Cbike.png
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    pit have you noticed cisco prices on ebay have jumped up a bit for no reason ?? im trying to find my last 2811 for a good price and dang its just not happening!! >icon_neutral.gif

Hmmm, I know that Cisco's year end is July 31st, and they usually slow to a crawl shortly after re-stocking distributors. Hopefully they aren't back ordered as I'm waiting on a couple of 2800s for a project @ work (ordered 2 weeks ago). I should probably check on that.
  • Options
    warquezhowarquezho Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice wor pitviper
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I love the lab and the NIN backgrounds :) on the phones.