Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Hey guys, where is the list of certification to class mappings? I.e CCNA Security= SEC102 or whatever.

Transferable IT Certifications
    There is the list of transferable certs, since from your sig it looks like you're already a student you can just look at your classes under your degree plan and see which ones you have left.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I need to know which certs map to each class, There used to be a document with that information.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spaced wrote: »
    While I haven't reviewed the classes side by side, the major difference is that with the security emphasis you will earn two CCNA certs. With the general IT degree, you earn many certs that are helpful to increase your knowledge, but none that employers are looking for. You do get A+ and Security + with both, but CCNA is much more sought after by employers.

I think this is a highly biased opinion. Frankly, I dont want anything to do with networking. Its like the evil family member you want to avoid at a reunion to me.

I went with the general path because the certs cover a wider breadth of material rather than focus on something.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I chose networking at first and found out how much faster it would be to just do the IT track. I can just get my ccna after school for much cheaper.
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To go along with what other members have questioned..I plan on enrolling at WGU starting Janruary 1, 2014 majoring in the Network Admin. emphasis. When the MCTS Windows 7 Config cert retires, what will WGU replace it with, would anybody know or do you recommend I contact them to find out?
  • Options
    I need to know which certs map to each class, There used to be a document with that information.

This is what I was looking for:
    Here is where you find the transfer of credits for certifications:
    - Go to WGU.edu/sh
    - Click on "Records and Transcripts" on left hand side
    - Click on "Transfer Credit Evaluation - Transfer Credit Evaluation Guidelines for Information Technology Students Enrolling on July 1, 2013
  • Options
    CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question!!!!

Once done with the enrollment process, and the admissions office has to make their decision, do they send a solid yes or no email? Reason I ask is because i did all my enrollment stuff with my counselor and she said 3-5 days for them to make their decision, tonight i got an email with my transcript evaluation (3 classes are being covered, 2 by my A+ cert, one by a previous college course) does that mean im in and im good?

Thanks!
  • Options
    SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    I think this is a highly biased opinion. Frankly, I dont want anything to do with networking. Its like the evil family member you want to avoid at a reunion to me.

I went with the general path because the certs cover a wider breadth of material rather than focus on something.

I am not sure what you mean about networking or what was biased. I looked at the general path, but I specifically want to avoid being a generalist, I have plenty of being that now. I want quantifiable skills demonstrated through not only the piece of paper that says I have a degree in this field, but the certs to prove that I have hands on knowledge. The certs in the general track, while useful knowledge, have very little market value outside of the CompTIA trinity. The MCSA, CCNA, and CCNA Security are job searching gold. MTAs and the rest of the certs the general track offers are not something that you can list on the resume so I am opting for one of the other tracks. NDM is should be improved - the program needs to be revised, but the Security and Networking tracks are pretty good, especially considering that most people on here seem to want to end up as either network engineers or security pros.

@ those asking about the MCSA in the Network program - I asked twice and still couldn't quite get a straight answer from WGU. I am already enrolled so I had emailed the Windows program mentor/counselor and he insists that despite the course description listing 2 of the required MCSA classes as internal WGU tests, that we will still get the MCSA and the MCTS Win 7. The courses do cover the material for the other 2 MCSA tests, but the tests are no longer listed as MS tests, just WGU proctored exams. He didn't offer any explanation. He did say the MCSA would be in Win 8 though...I just wasn't confident he clearly understood my question.

The Security track is great, but I would rather trade CCNA security for an MCSA. Based on my research for potential future positions, CCNA and MCSA combined would be very helpful when starting out. I would get the CCNA Security either way, but I can handle 1 test on my own rather than the 5 for CCNA and MCSA combined (when comparing the valuable certs in the Network and Security tracks). If anyone gets a solid answer to this question, I would love to hear.

@Santaowns - that option would not work for me. The tests and training materials for CCNA and MCSA on my own would cost a ton, and for me, for the more difficult certs and considering these are my first, it helps me to have the structure WGU provides for studying. Ideally, I want to have a degree in my hand, he holy trinity of CompTIA for all my bottom barrel helpdesk positions and my CCNA and MCSA for a little edge...and I am taking VCP-DCV class and test - just seems really interesting to me. I'd also like to tackle the last 2 tests to get my MCSE shortly after I finish with WGU. I want a versatile and marketable background starting out because I don't know which area my interests will lie so might as well get the exposure.

Sorry for the novel!
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    okay thanks for the clearification @spaced. Like I said, I don't plan on enrolling to the beginning of next year so when I'm getting ready to apply, I'll just ask WGU about the MCSA because I'm interested in eventually becomming a network admin, which is obviously why the IT - Network Admin track appealed to me. Worst case, I could always just start in the Security emphasis and then switch to Network Admin down the road, both tracks pretty much offer same certs with only a few differences. Thanks again!
  • Options
  • Options
    Designing Customized Security, CNV1
  • Options
    wow. you totally owned WGU. Spoke to one of the "experts" today who said that it was rolled into CTV1... But you are right, under the resources the ccna:s training is there. In addition, him and my mentor were both unaware of Cisco's new policy on specializations after CCENT... The good news is that it seems that if I set everything correctly, I should be able to pursue CCNA Security and bypass CCNA. Now to be clear, I may do it in the future, but is not a goal right now.
  • Options
    But don't you also have to do the CCNA anyway for CQV1, Interconnecting Network Devices?
  • Options
    We haven't locked it in for certain yet, but we dont thinks so. If I were to complete CCNA Sec this semester, and CQV1 isnt included in my aav, before next semester we think I can submit it and get it approved for credit. We'll find out though.
  • Options
    Ah, see yours is different from mine, I had CQV1 on my degree plan so I did it. I started on 6/1.
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long do you think it will take to finish a BS in Security at WGU with an AAS Network admin/CCNA? I have a full time job. I plan on starting this program in January. Thanks.
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    Spaced wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean about networking or what was biased. I looked at the general path, but I specifically want to avoid being a generalist, I have plenty of being that now. I want quantifiable skills demonstrated through not only the piece of paper that says I have a degree in this field, but the certs to prove that I have hands on knowledge. The certs in the general track, while useful knowledge, have very little market value outside of the CompTIA trinity. The MCSA, CCNA, and CCNA Security are job searching gold. MTAs and the rest of the certs the general track offers are not something that you can list on the resume so I am opting for one of the other tracks. NDM is should be improved - the program needs to be revised, but the Security and Networking tracks are pretty good, especially considering that most people on here seem to want to end up as either network engineers or security pros.

@ those asking about the MCSA in the Network program - I asked twice and still couldn't quite get a straight answer from WGU. I am already enrolled so I had emailed the Windows program mentor/counselor and he insists that despite the course description listing 2 of the required MCSA classes as internal WGU tests, that we will still get the MCSA and the MCTS Win 7. The courses do cover the material for the other 2 MCSA tests, but the tests are no longer listed as MS tests, just WGU proctored exams. He didn't offer any explanation. He did say the MCSA would be in Win 8 though...I just wasn't confident he clearly understood my question.

The Security track is great, but I would rather trade CCNA security for an MCSA. Based on my research for potential future positions, CCNA and MCSA combined would be very helpful when starting out. I would get the CCNA Security either way, but I can handle 1 test on my own rather than the 5 for CCNA and MCSA combined (when comparing the valuable certs in the Network and Security tracks). If anyone gets a solid answer to this question, I would love to hear.

@Santaowns - that option would not work for me. The tests and training materials for CCNA and MCSA on my own would cost a ton, and for me, for the more difficult certs and considering these are my first, it helps me to have the structure WGU provides for studying. Ideally, I want to have a degree in my hand, he holy trinity of CompTIA for all my bottom barrel helpdesk positions and my CCNA and MCSA for a little edge...and I am taking VCP-DCV class and test - just seems really interesting to me. I'd also like to tackle the last 2 tests to get my MCSE shortly after I finish with WGU. I want a versatile and marketable background starting out because I don't know which area my interests will lie so might as well get the exposure.

Sorry for the novel!

Again, your giving YOUR opinion and acting like it is the only truth. Nothing about Networking, CCNA, CCNA Security or even Network + is appealing to me. It just isn't something i am very interested in nor will i be interested in a job that requires extensive expertise in it. You can't use YOUR research for job choices and what would make a good path for you mean that MY path is the same. The jobs i am looking for are very specific and none of them have any need for CCNA; Namely Project Management or Technology Solution type jobs, System Administrators for small-mid-sized companies, Technical Writing and maybe internal auditing if i can get my foot in the door. Again, none of these career choices that i want have anything to do with CCNA and are in demand as well.

Again, my point is that your being biased based on what YOU want and what YOU consider to be job gold. If someone's aspiration is to be go down the management route, familiarity may be all they need as they can always hire someone to do the work as the perk of being the manager. If someone like me wants to go down the project management path, familiarity to ensure that projects involving technical resources are understood and can be translated to the non-technical. Personally, as I have experience in spades but no certifications to put on paper to back my experience those MTA certs are something of a blessing until i can put something more meaningful on my resume. Again, YOUR resume may not be improved by the MTA and other certs from WGU's general track but to someone that could mean getting their first Help Desk or Desktop Support role because someone else equally qualified does NOT have those certs listed on their resume.

You picking up what i am putting down now about bias and opinion when considering how you phrase things?

PS: I am in no way trying to be harsh but i cant rephrase this any better at this time, so please don't take this as an assault on you personally.
  • Options
    @Nemowolf - I think you read too much into what I said. My original comment was a response to someone asking for thoughts on the difference between BSIT and BSIT Security. My response was exactly that. I did not in any way state that what I was saying is the only way to go. I was speaking from my perspective based on my experience trying to decide between two tracks based on my career goals. I didn't explicitly state in each sentence that these are my opinions, but I thought it was implied and I don't believe the poster I was responding took my words as gospel.

The second post you responded to began with an explanation of what my goals are and basically the pros and cons I looked at between the two degree tracks I am trying to decide between, which is obviously all my opinion. MCSA and CCNA are resume gold (according to what I have read on here) for inexperienced people trying to get their foot in the door in helpedsk with the goal of trying to move into sys admin or network engineering at some point in the future, which is what I plan to do and why I stated that. I did not claim that they are gold for every type of technology related job, nor did I claim to know the goals of every potential reader of my post, although I did intend my post to be geared towards people with similar goals since I was hoping to get their insight and opinions to help me with my decision.

I'm not sure why you took what I said as an attack against your goals. "Again, my point is that your being biased based on what YOU want and what YOU consider to be job gold." Exactly, I was talking about me, not anyone else. I couldn't possibly speak for every poster nor would I have any reason to. I was trying to get feedback on my goals. I also did not state anywhere that this was the only career path, I was specifically referring to my preferred career path. I assumed that others with similar career interests might respond with opinions on the two tracks, which could help me make up my mind. I in no way stated that this applies to people who like you, might want to go into technical writing or project management etc. I'm sorry it came across that way to you.
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    fslima0 wrote: »
    How long do you think it will take to finish a BS in Security at WGU with an AAS Network admin/CCNA? I have a full time job. I plan on starting this program in January. Thanks.

I started with just 28 CU transferred in, I was able to complete 65 credits in one term and only have 30 left this term which I hope to knock out in two months. I did start out with a CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP Security, and CISSP.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    naclh2onaznaclh2onaz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken CDC1 lately? Im struggling with this class and could use some suggestions on what to study! TIA
    2017 Goals:
    CISSP [X]
    2018 Goals:
    CRISC [ ]
  • Options
    If anyone is still wondering, I spoke to the MS mentor and he confirmed that the MCSA will continue to be offered in the net admin track despite the pdf guide on the site saying otherwise. On the other hand, he could not find the ccna or ccent listed in the track. He even sent me a screenshot of his view of the classes for the program and they were missing. Although, his view also didn't reflect the new science courses. On a sidenote, I asked him about any upcoming changes in 2014 and he said they will be including Trainsignal in the course ware. I assume by that time it will be Pluralsight.
  • Options
    Can anyone give me insight/opinion on TXP1 Project in Intro to Programming? I dont know why you would have a project class before the actual programming class... Anyway, I see it starts with Java. Is Java even a good language to start with? It seems a weird choice, even thought Java vulnerabilities are significant and prolific I would expect something more like C or BASIC... Any experiences?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    C or BASIC would probably be a bad idea because they aren't object oriented. Maybe they would be OK to learn in the 80s, but today, Java or C# is probably the best bet.
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way it's setup is that the project class is the actual class. It has all your readings and practice exercises. The project is just to give you a hands on with using what you're reading without being told what/how to do it like in the book practice examples. It's not even really about learning java, but the basics of statements, loops, and variables. The project is actually really simple.

The ItP "class" is more like a review before your final test. Both are apparently a lot easier than the previous iteration of the class.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    C or BASIC would probably be a bad idea because they aren't object oriented. Maybe they would be OK to learn in the 80s, but today, Java or C# is probably the best bet.

Thanks Matavi,

ratbuddy, wouldnt C make a better choice, are't many exploits, and malware written in low level languages? While I assume these courses are in the other IT programs, As this is the Security degree, I would expect programming for security students.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I tried a search but the vast amount of WGU posts on this site made it difficult.

Regarding transferring of certifications, the WGU site says that certifications should have been earned in the last 5 years. Wild shot in the dark here, but does that include expired certifications which were earned within the last 5 years? My gut says no, but this is not explicitly stated anywhere I could find.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    ratbuddy, wouldnt C make a better choice, are't many exploits, and malware written in low level languages? While I assume these courses are in the other IT programs, As this is the Security degree, I would expect programming for security students.

While the answer to your question is a qualified 'yes,' I suspect that learning to code exploits and malware are probably outside the scope of the degree. Exploits in particular can come in many forms, from as simple as a specially crafted HTTP request, to as complex as you can possibly imagine. Malware, if you don't want it to be detected, does generally require some low level coding skills, but like I said, those skills are probably not going to be learned from a basic BSIT program, security focus or no.

I'd expect a security focused degree to use a language that sees plenty of real world use, and Java certainly qualifies. I promise you, noone is securing systems using BASIC. Well, maybe they are, but only as a joke.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I tried a search but the vast amount of WGU posts on this site made it difficult.

Regarding transferring of certifications, the WGU site says that certifications should have been earned in the last 5 years. Wild shot in the dark here, but does that include expired certifications which were earned within the last 5 years? My gut says no, but this is not explicitly stated anywhere I could find.

I am pretty sure expired certs are transferable as long as they were earned within the last 5 years.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I'd expect a security focused degree to use a language that sees plenty of real world use, and Java certainly qualifies. I promise you, noone is securing systems using BASIC. Well, maybe they are, but only as a joke.

THAT, would be epic.
  • Options
    Quick update, crushed DIV1. There were a few questions i honestly guessed at so that didnt bode well for my confidence as i clicked the finished button.

BNC1 is next!