Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NicWhite wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I know this may be a dumb question but how do you upload completed work to taskstream.

TIA

****never mind. figured it out. Thanks again.

LOL, I just went through the same experience. Getting access, and uploading to Taskstream took almost as long as the writing....
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Military members/Vets... was wondering if WGU accepted any of your military service for credits? Thanks.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was a 25U in the army for 4 years. They didn't accept any of my military service as credit.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • Options
    orcwarorcwar Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A quick question.. since Im kinda old in IT , I seem to have almost 95-98%% of the certs that WGU offers, could that be used to help me finish my degree faster?
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, as long as you got them in the last five years they should transfer in.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have to complete any certifications for either the MS degrees (MSICA or MSITNM)? Certifications you have to pass is specified in the BS programs, but not MS.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sure they are
    Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

[h=3]What You’ll Earn — IT Certifications:[/h]This program incorporates several IT certification exams into the curriculum. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuition — a huge cost savings for you):
    • Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
    • EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
    • EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    that's for MSISA... no certs for MSNM.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Sure they are
    Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

What You’ll Earn — IT Certifications:

This program incorporates several IT certification exams into the curriculum. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuition — a huge cost savings for you):
    • Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
    • EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
    • EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)

I've had a long day...lol. Now that you post that, I remember seeing it. Thanks.

So they actually provide a voucher to take these exams? That's pretty cool.
  • Options
    I've had a long day...lol. Now that you post that, I remember seeing it. Thanks.

So they actually provide a voucher to take these exams? That's pretty cool.

Yep, all certs at WGU are covered with vouchers for up to 3 attempts I believe.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    2 attempts
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Hey Demon... So there is 0 overlap between the 2 programs...
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Yep, all certs at WGU are covered with vouchers for up to 3 attempts I believe.

WGU is starting to sound ever more tempting.
  • Options
    absaelabsael Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    absael wrote: »
    I apologize if this has already been answered, but I wasn't able to find it here or on the WGU website: What is the minimum number of CUs that I have to take at WGU to earn the degree?

The reason I ask is that I'll be graduating with an AS from the local community college, so I hope to have all the gen eds waived. And I want to earn as many certs on my own as I possibly can, in order to avoid paying WGU tuition if it isn't necessary. Does anyone know how many CUs WGU will require me to complete there, if I take this route?
    DoubleNNs wrote: »
    absael - Altho I don't have a definite answer to your question, I've seen threads where people have transferred in 70+ credits. I think i saw a thread a while ago where someone might have even transferred in 90.

I just noticed that in their ad banner at the top of the page, it says that certs can be used for 25% of your degree. So, it looks like I might be able to use the AS for 2 years of credits, and certs for another year. This jibes with what you heard about someone transferring 90 credits.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Hey Demon... So there is 0 overlap between the 2 programs...

yea im not surprised
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    People that are working full-time and going to WGU's MSISA program, how many CUs do you find reasonable to tackle per term? Also, if possible, please provide the most current course outline. The one they have on their website is from 2011, and I think I've seen people listing courses on their signature that doesn't exactly line up with what WGU has on their site.

And as far as CUs, do you start with a pre-determined number of CUs? For example, let's say you tell your mentor that you want to tackle 3 classes in a particular term, 8 CUs total. you complete 3 classes - 8 CUs in 4 month, and have 2 months left in your term, do you just sit and wait for the next term? I'm confused as to how this works. Or are you able to say "hey, I want to get this over with" and just pick up additional class or two if it seems like you are able to complete it within the time-frame?

I apologize if this has been answered before.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How many CU's will a typical AS degree transfer in? Also I took some C# and Java programming classes in college, will these transfer in as well?
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    They have to be less than 5 years old.
  • Options
    SkeyeLlamaSkeyeLlama Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started on the 1st. With my certs and 49 credits towards my Associates in CS I received 14 courses worth 40 CU of transfer credit.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    People that are working full-time and going to WGU's MSISA program, how many CUs do you find reasonable to tackle per term? Also, if possible, please provide the most current course outline. The one they have on their website is from 2011, and I think I've seen people listing courses on their signature that doesn't exactly line up with what WGU has on their site.

And as far as CUs, do you start with a pre-determined number of CUs? For example, let's say you tell your mentor that you want to tackle 3 classes in a particular term, 8 CUs total. you complete 3 classes - 8 CUs in 4 month, and have 2 months left in your term, do you just sit and wait for the next term? I'm confused as to how this works. Or are you able to say "hey, I want to get this over with" and just pick up additional class or two if it seems like you are able to complete it within the time-frame?

I apologize if this has been answered before.

I think I managed around 15-18 per term. Although in my second term I had some work issues pop up that forced me into a third part time term.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    More MSISA questions.

what class earns you the CCENT?

And does anyone know when they're going to implement the CASP into the curriculum? I saw it mentioned in the other thread?
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    what class earns you the CCENT?

It's weird how they list CCENT on the site but when you download the detailed program PDF it's not on there. Maybe they got rid of that class.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I think I managed around 15-18 per term. Although in my second term I had some work issues pop up that forced me into a third part time term.

Thanks for the info. That will give me an idea as to how many CUs I could tackel if I was to enroll. Still debating on that icon_lol.gif.
    sheckler wrote: »
    It's weird how they list CCENT on the site but when you download the detailed program PDF it's not on there. Maybe they got rid of that class.

I actually talked to a enrollment advisor and she told me that class has been taken off the program. You will not have to take CCENT for the MSISA program. It is probably assumed that you would equivalent networking knowledge.

She asked me to apply, but I'm not sure if I should when I'm not fully sure of attending WGU. I'm debating on WGU vs. Capitol College. Are there any downside for applying but turning down in the end?
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    Are there any downside for applying but turning down in the end?

It was a full year between when I applied (and was approved) from when I started. My company canceled tuition reimbursement. A year later, when tuition reimbursement was added back, I was able to start pretty much immediately.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have an A.A.S in Computer studies, A+ IT tech one of 2 A+ exams has passed the 5 year limit, mcp win 7, ccna, ccna sec, and ccda. I have no specific preference in which concentration at WGU BSIT program I want to enroll in. My question is with these certifications which track will I be able to finish faster.
  • Options
    manifest3rmanifest3r Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techiie wrote: »
    I have an A.A.S in Computer studies, A+ IT tech one of 2 exams has passed the 5 year limit, mcp win 7, ccna, ccna sec, and ccda. I have no specific preference in which concentration at WGU BSIT program I want to enroll in. My question is with these certifications which track will I be able to finish faster.

Since you have the CCNA and CCNA Security I'd imagine BS:IT Security would work out the best in terms of transfer credit, and BS:IT Network Administration coming in second.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have the WGU transfer evaluation guidelines for the graduate degree, mainly for their MSISA? The only ones that I see are the ones for their undergraduate degree.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got my orientation interview this week, but I had a question maybe someone here can answer. On my transcript evaluation for IT Security, I see that my classes takes the place of the MTA certs. Are those still optional to get? My job requires us to get a cert for our next promotion and I figured I'd just get a quick one underneath my belt before I crammed down and got some higher level Cisco certs. The MTA OS seems insanely easy and it would be good enough for our HR to double my wage when I'm ready to move up.

EDIT: Turns out they won't give you the vouchers if you already got credit for that class. Only exception is that if it's a two-part test (i.e. A+) and you only transfer in one test, they pay for the other one.
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there a list that shows what upper level WGU classes cancel lower ones???
  • Options
    ecuadra wrote: »
    Is there a list that shows what upper level WGU classes cancel lower ones???

I haven't seen a published one, best to ask your mentor. I'm in the security track and there are 3 classes that you can do that with. For me If you pass Database 1, you can waive DB Fundamentals. I believe Web Technologies waives 2 lower level web classes, a project and an exam. Then Intro to Programming and Project for Intro to Programming should waive Software Development Fundamentals.