Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
  • Options
    TmarslandTmarsland Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hah, got it, thanks. Scheduled my 1D0-610 for this coming Thursday. Do you remember what kinds of questions were asked? I'm nervous simply because I can't find any practice material online.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    It's mile wide, inch deep. You might be asked anything from steps of site design to basic ports to properly formed HTML. I can't find a single non-**** book or study resource. That's pretty sad.

Found a few things on Quizlet, worth glancing over them:

CIW Internet Web Associate Foundations v2 flashcards | Quizlet
    CIW Web Certification C.W. Ruckel Middle School flashcards | Quizlet
    CIW Foundations Part 1 flashcards | Quizlet

And so on.. Just search Quizlet for CIW foundations if those aren't enough to give you an idea of what's on the test.
  • Options
    okalrightokokalrightok Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I'd like to know up to how many CUs can be waived for having a 2014 MCSD certification. Also, specifically which courses in the BS IT Software program can be waived? Is there a limit to how many courses can be waived from a combination of certifications and upper level work waiving lower (like the the MTA courses)?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    okalrightokokalrightok Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, but I have that file and it doesn't list how many courses or units the MCSD will waive just that some courses can be. I wanted to know if all the courses listed as exchangeable could be waived or just one.

For example the following courses are listed as being able to be waiveed via the MCSD (.net) certification but do you get credit for ALL of them or just some (up to a certain amount of credits):

IT Fundamentals II 4
    IT Fundamentals III 4
    web dev fund 3
    web programming 4
    web technologies 4
    software dev fundamentals 4
    intro programming/project 4
    intro object oriented design/project 4
    software I 6
    software II 3

ajs1976 wrote: »
  • Options
    Clem25Clem25 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Clem25 wrote: »
    I'm working on breaking into the IT field, I'm 29 and just decided to change careers. I've got a BS in Forest Resource Management, and a Minor in Business Administration. I'm about to take my A+ in a couple of weeks, and I've been looking at different programs at WGU. I have a big interest in IT Security, would you suggest I get another bachelors or look at going for the MS Sec?

Still hoping to get some advice on this subject, thanks. Can'y make up my mind.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have worked with a lot of people who do not have a degree in IT if the have one at all. I would go for the certs that will help you get in the door and then start working on Security certs and a Graduate cert in Information Security.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Thanks, but I have that file and it doesn't list how many courses or units the MCSD will waive just that some courses can be. I wanted to know if all the courses listed as exchangeable could be waived or just one.

Call Transcript Evaluation at [URL="tel:1-877-435-7948%20x%203120"]1-877-435-7948 x 3120[/URL]

From my reading of other people's experiences I would say it probably knocks out multiple classes. However an official review is really the only way you will know for sure.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am planning on starting the IT-Security program, what I would like to know is what sort of hardware will I need for this program and operating system? Is Mac ok or stick to a PC? Laptop or Desktop?

Here is what I currently have a laptop with an Intel I3 processor with a solid state hard drive and 8gb of memory running Windows 7.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    I am planning on starting the IT-Security program, what I would like to know is what sort of hardware will I need for this program and operating system? Is Mac ok or stick to a PC? Laptop or Desktop?

Here is what I currently have a laptop with an Intel I3 processor with a solid state hard drive and 8gb of memory running Windows 7.

That's more than sufficient. Just having a Windows 7 OS would be enough. There are no Mac classes that I've seen and you can just run Linux in virtualbox.
  • Options
    Or just run linux from a flashdrive
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    Or just run linux from a flashdrive

You can do that, but if you've only got 1 computer and you're trying to read something, then test it in linux, then take notes, etc, it's a lot easier to do it if it's just in a VM window.
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of people that are or have taken the Master's Information Security and a lot have thier CISSP. Did that knowledge help with the program? I don't mind taking my time with the program since the Post 9/11 will be paying for it.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a question. I have been accepted to the BSIT/Sec degree program. I have been looking at the updated MyWGU Student Portal. One thing I noticed was the Student Success Kit. When I clicked on the link, it mentioned that it was a replacement. What, exactly, is the Student Success Kit?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    coffee mug, stick, coaster, mouse pad, pen, and other things that change all the time. In the same kit they will also send your webcam.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting. I've never been to a college that sends that type of stuff. Thank you for the info.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    How does one go about getting a degree audit if they change their major? Will they simply not count anything else that was transferred in? Do you speak to someone other than your mentor about it?
  • Options
    SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This question may have been hit on already, but I couldn't find it in this thread:

I'd love to hear opinions from those who have WGU degree, can anyone speak to the acceptance of degrees from WGU or like schools? Have you noticed that employers favor brick and mortar degrees? For those who have gone on to get a Masters, did you come across any issues transferring to brick and mortar school?

I think the idea behind WGU is awesome, but I've had these concerns for a while due to the conflicting opinions I've heard.
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • Options
    jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Soliton wrote: »
    This question may have been hit on already, but I couldn't find it in this thread:

I'd love to hear opinions from those who have WGU degree, can anyone speak to the acceptance of degrees from WGU or like schools? Have you noticed that employers favor brick and mortar degrees? For those who have gone on to get a Masters, did you come across any issues transferring to brick and mortar school?

I think the idea behind WGU is awesome, but I've had these concerns for a while due to the conflicting opinions I've heard.

i have had these concerns also so I called the university of pittsburgh today and they stated that since it is regionally accredited then they should accept a degree from wgu.
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • Options
    runebaruneba Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did WGU drop the CCNA as a requirement for the Network Administration degree?

It's no longer listed under there!
  • Options
    They are reworking a lot of the degrees. But it does appear as if they dropped the CCNA from the NA track. I have a weekly call with my counselor tomorrow to go over that. If it changes the availability for me I may do the MCSA Server 2008 section and then flip over to the Security track to make sure I can get the CCNA.
  • Options
    Soliton wrote: »

I transferred my associate's from Kaplan to WGU, so I've had some experience with an online degree in interviews.

So far, no one has asked hardly anything about the school or cared that it was online. I'd think WGU would be even better seeing as how it is non-profit.
  • Options
    MaxSixxMaxSixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I enroll and start taking classes, can I still finish them without having access to a certification testing facility? I can't imagine all the classes get you certs, right?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need access to a testing center for a lot/most of the IT courses. Most if not all of the general ed classes are either papers you turn in or exams you take at home on the webcam. But if you have no access to a testing center at all it's going to cause problems.
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MaxSixx: It depends on what you transfer in. If you still have everything but a few classes, you could probably do a semester full of non-certification classes which pretty much just need you to either upload a final project or take an online proctored exam.

If you transferred in all your general education classes, you may have a harder time getting a semester full, but if you just need a bit of time due to a move or something, there are a few of the IT courses that only have web proctored/final project exams. Off the top of my head, the intro to programming/OODD classes and the Organizational Behavior and Leadership class.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    MaxSixxMaxSixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replys. I'll just work on my CCNA until I'm back stateside. There is no rush to start classes if I'm limited on what I can take.
  • Options
    Wow the new change to BS IT Security is awesome. I just got what the changes are and basically it adds one class for the Network+ and takes away a total of SIX Java and Web Design classes. So much better. I had no desire to take anymore of those classes.
  • Options
    GyverVGyverV Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just learned about the changes to Tue Security track, and I am pretty pumped as well. According to my mentor, the following changes will be made if I choose to switch:

Removed Courses:

BOV1 Web Programming - 4 Cus Term 4

TXP1 Intro to Programming Project 2- Cus Term 4

TXC1 Introduction to Programming - 2 Cus Term 5

TYP1 Project in Introduction to Object-Oriented Design and Development - 2 Cus Term 5

TYC1 Introduction to Object-Oriented Design and Development - 2 CUs Term 6

CU Adjustments:

CQV1 3 à 6 Term 3

CNV1 4 à 6 Term 4

Finite Math 2 à 4 Term 2

Added Course:

CRV1 Networks+ 4

This ends up being a real no-brainet for me.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can anyone answer a few questions about the MS degree in Infosec? I am currently in the BS Network track 21 credits away from finishing.

1. Do you get any credit in the MS track for CISSP or CCNA?

2. What if any NSA certifications does this MS program currently hold?

3. Do I get access to any programs similar to the dream spark MSDN like I have with the BS?

Thanks all.