Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Odd, the pdf still shows Perl when I look at it. Where are you seeing the OCP?
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You might be looking at the IT-Software Focus track which has Perl. I'm talking about the new Software Development degree.

IT-Software: Bachelor Degree in IT Software | Online IT Degree | College of Information Technology Online
    BS Software Development: Bachelor Degree in Software Development | Online IT Degree
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Haunt wrote: »
    But now I'm hearing this talk about them adding a Linux class to it or something....

Baseless rumors as far as I can tell. I reviewed both program PDF's that were updated on 4/9/2014 and neither of them list a Linux class for the BS IT - Network Admin or BS IT - Network Design tracks. Are you sure you aren't confusing those with the BS IT program?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The Network Admin track ditched the 2 CCNA courses. They changed the value of 2 of the other classes. I think the OS class and a Web development one, along with discrete math to make up the credit difference. If you are already enrolled in the NA track ask your mentor to give you the comparison PDF. If you WANT to change to the new track you can. If you'd rather get the CCNA then don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Matavi wrote: »
    You might be looking at the IT-Software Focus track which has Perl. I'm talking about the new Software Development degree.

IT-Software: Bachelor Degree in IT Software | Online IT Degree | College of Information Technology Online
    BS Software Development: Bachelor Degree in Software Development | Online IT Degree

No, I'm looking at the right one. Please point out for me which class in the PDF mentions the OCP. I don't see it, but I do see Perl.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was quoting another person but If you transfer-in certs, wouldn't you move on to different classes thus making your overall time and cost decrease? Your statement assumes you would pay the same no matter if you get certs ahead of time or not.

I think if you need the learning background and tools that WGU offers, vouchers, potential to fail cert exams, then WGU provided seems the right way to go. The other financial factors you mention such as Pell grants also seems to be a factor (haven't confirmed this).

However, If you have a background already in IT and do not need all the WGU provided tools and materials with some exceptions, then I'm not sure why getting certs on your own is not the right way to go, especially if your not ready to enroll or want to yet be boxed in and forced to get certs on the WGU timeline. There is risk there if you fail certs.

At this point I already have Security+ and all CIW requirements. Makes sense to me to continue and get the A+, Network+ and Project+ on my own before enrolling. I think I can do all these exams in the next two or three months. Cost for me: $1600< + Skillsoft access, books24x7, plus $200 books<. If things go well I might do the CompTIA CASP on top of it! At the end of the day, I still have the certs even if I don't enroll.

A+ 170 each, Network+ 240, Project+ 240, Security+ 257, CIW 150 each

I don't understand one of your comments since I'm not enrolled and don't know all about how WGU works yet: "why would you pay to take them ahead of time, unless you aren't confident you can retain the knowledge". If you have the cert to transfer in, are you saying there is still some other requirement to meet with WGU? If I'm "not confident to retain the knowledge". Meaning that if I enroll in WGU then I will be more confident to retain the knowledge?
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    You really can't just say 'cert = $150.' Many cost much more, and I don't know of many that cost less, except the MTAs. My first term, I took A+ ($178+$178=) $356, Network+ $260, Security+ $283, two MTA $70 each, and a CIW or two, which are the only ones that actually cost $150.

In any conceivable case, if you're planning on attending WGU, you are better off studying for the certs ahead of time, then enrolling and knocking them out very quickly. You're going to pay the tuition anyway, and you're going to get the certs anyway, so why would you pay to take them ahead of time, unless you aren't confident you can retain the knowledge?

Oh, and if you qualify for Pell, all bets are off, you are, in all cases, no ifs ands or buts, better off taking the certs with WGU vouchers.
  • Options
    I don't understand one of your comments since I'm not enrolled and don't know all about how WGU works yet: "why would you pay to take them ahead of time, unless you aren't confident you can retain the knowledge". If you have the cert to transfer in, are you saying there is still some other requirement to meet with WGU? If I'm "not confident to retain the knowledge". Meaning that if I enroll in WGU then I will be more confident to retain the knowledge?

I mean you can study for all the certs you mentioned (A+, Network+, Project+) so that you could pass them on your own, then enroll and let WGU buy the vouchers. The only way it wouldn't be a better deal is if you have trouble remembering/retaining three (or however many) exams worth of material at once.
  • Options
    Ah ok, yeah I agree it would be nearly impossible to study everything and wait to test. I think there is not a one size fits all. For me I have access to Skillsoft online and bought a few ebooks so far and don't need a college loan yet to put everything on. Not everyone is working like me and can pay for their own exams or some through their company or access to training resources.

So for me, I think I would continue to pay since it is a cheaper route which will transfer in to WGU and avoid time and cost. I heard nothing to suggest that if I get all 9 certs ahead of time on my own that I would be penalized by WGU transfer. Plus any remaining general coursework I didn't erase with certs with WGU would still take some time to complete.

Unless I hear differently about WGU transfer policies, this is my route and is not for everyone but won't hurt me in the end like I said since I am working and still would have the certs even if I didn't enroll but plan to. Plus I could still write off the certs and other expenses from my taxes as education expenses I think.

Hopefully I'll enroll in WGU around August.

ratbuddy wrote: »
    I mean you can study for all the certs you mentioned (A+, Network+, Project+) so that you could pass them on your own, then enroll and let WGU buy the vouchers. The only way it wouldn't be a better deal is if you have trouble remembering/retaining three (or however many) exams worth of material at once.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @TheChameleon if you can get the certs before I'd recommend it especially if you are paying for your own education. In my case I am pushing to be done in a single term since I'm paying out of pocket. I don't qualify for any grants and I'm not taking out anymore loans.

I did just about all of the CIW exams on my own dime before enrolling. Got the CCDA to waive the Sec + course which I don't understand how is that comparable? With my A.A.S and the certs I was able to transfer in 96 CU to the BSIT.
  • Options
    @ratbuddy: Hmm... The pdf does say Perl. I must've overlooked or skimmed through that section. Sorry, my bad. For the OCP I'm looking at the webpage itself which lists it under the What You'll Earn - IT Certifications underneath the link for the pdf. It lists OCA and OCP, and doesn't mention Perl. My guess is that someone mixed something up. I was going to bring up the new degree track with my mentor during our call today anyway, so I'll probably tack that on to double check which is the screw up.
    WGU IT - Software
  • Options
    I was gonna ask mine during our call today too. I'll skip it, please let me know what yours says :)
  • Options
    I just got off the phone with her (after some weird phone glitch that almost put it off until tomorrow). She didn't have any real information on the pdf vs webpage issues, she's going to pass that along to someone higher up to have it looked at. She did however tell me that the degree at the current time is only going to be open to new students and not current students looking to switch over and no time frame on when it's going to open up for anyone looking to switch. So not much use to me as switching over will probably mean tacking on an extra semester. =/
    WGU IT - Software
  • Options
    Yes same here, I will be paying on my own and don't qualify for anything else. Hopefully I'll get some tuition assistance next enrollment period with my job. I have done Sec+ and all CIW so far. I will complete A+, Network+ and Project+ next and then speak with WGU. If they still require MTA, then I'll have to do those before starting.

Unlike you unfortunately I do not have a AAS to transfer which is why I want to get all the certs done. If I knew about this program before I would have started years ago. So I'm hoping that getting all the certs done I'm left with the General education and final paper/capstone. That will likely be around <55 CUs left hopefully. I haven't figured it out yet but assume so. I guess working full time, this would take me a year more or less to complete? Maybe three terms?
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    @TheChameleon if you can get the certs before I'd recommend it especially if you are paying for your own education. In my case I am pushing to be done in a single term since I'm paying out of pocket. I don't qualify for any grants and I'm not taking out anymore loans.

I did just about all of the CIW exams on my own dime before enrolling. Got the CCDA to waive the Sec + course which I don't understand how is that comparable? With my A.A.S and the certs I was able to transfer in 96 CU to the BSIT.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Baseless rumors as far as I can tell. I reviewed both program PDF's that were updated on 4/9/2014 and neither of them list a Linux class for the BS IT - Network Admin or BS IT - Network Design tracks. Are you sure you aren't confusing those with the BS IT program?

Someone mentioned that in another thread....literally this week.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @TheChameleon...WGU has teamed up with CompTIA for a scholarship. You should contact WGU and find out if you qualify for it. One way to reduce costs.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Matavi wrote: »
    I just got off the phone with her (after some weird phone glitch that almost put it off until tomorrow). She didn't have any real information on the pdf vs webpage issues, she's going to pass that along to someone higher up to have it looked at. She did however tell me that the degree at the current time is only going to be open to new students and not current students looking to switch over and no time frame on when it's going to open up for anyone looking to switch. So not much use to me as switching over will probably mean tacking on an extra semester. =/

That is not what my Mentor informed me. He specifically told me that any student IN a term must continue with the courses they are already assigned, once the term is done they can request to update your track and assign the updated course listing to your program. My mentor and I spoke at length about how this would effect me come July when my new term starts and he confirmed with his boss of this.
  • Options
    @Nemowolf: I'm sorry, I'm confused. What you quoted was to ratbuddy as part of an ongoing conversation talking about the brand new software development degree which my mentor states is only accepting applications from new wgu students and not degree switches from current. It was not about the current degree tracks that are being updated.
    WGU IT - Software
  • Options
    Thanks I did find the link on the WGU site a few months back. Thanks for mentioning it, below is the link. I figure when I would apply I could enter the CompTIA lottery for this! :)

WGU Offers New Scholarship for CompTIA Certification Holders, 2/18/14
    stryder144 wrote: »
    @TheChameleon...WGU has teamed up with CompTIA for a scholarship. You should contact WGU and find out if you qualify for it. One way to reduce costs.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Thanks I did find the link on the WGU site a few months back. Thanks for mentioning it, below is the link. I figure when I would apply I could enter the CompTIA lottery for this! :)

WGU Offers New Scholarship for CompTIA Certification Holders, 2/18/14

I applied thinking I had a decent shot at the Comptia scholarship. I received the CC scholarship instead. Works for me! icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the link for the Comptia scholarship. Looks like I'll be hitting some Comptia certs before I enroll.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    One serious grip about WGU is they have zero support for current students as most of their scholarships are for new students and exclude the current.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    One serious grip about WGU is they have zero support for current students as most of their scholarships are for new students and exclude the current.

You can call the scholarships dept and ask, I believe it even says to do that on the WGU scholarships page. I called them once and they told me about other ones available, or you can also search for scholarships outside the school it's just a matter of research and applying for them.
  • Options
    Yes, they do require you apply for the WGU scholarships either before you enroll or very shortly after enrollment.
  • Options
    When I spoke to them before I was already a student and they said they had scholarships current students too you just needed to apply for them. This was 6 months or so ago.
  • Options
    rumbl3rumbl3 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a phone interview coming up next week. I applied for FAFSA etc all got approved. Hopefully everything goes well, but I'm also curious as to what the learning is like at WGU.

Anyone give me a sort of general run down? Is it all just purely reading documents and taking test? Do we have labs to do projects to work on etc? Just curious I guess all this talk about how it is not like a normal college.
  • Options
    You are given material, ebooks, videos, simulators, etc, you have to learn the material and take the exam. If you pass the exam, you pass the course. There are course mentors that can help you with whatever you need, but they aren't your teacher, meaning don't expect to log in every day and have them teach you a class. For some classes you'll have projects to turn in, for most/all of the IT courses they'll end in a certification exam.

You'll have to be honest with yourself, if you think you lack the motivation to do it all on your own, then look at a different program. I think some people see the price, and read about other people accelerating and think it's for them, it isn't for everyone.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    When I spoke to them before I was already a student and they said they had scholarships current students too you just needed to apply for them. This was 6 months or so ago.

I am pretty sure all the scholarships actually from WGU must be applied for before you enroll or shortly afterwards. They are for $500 a semester for a maximum of 4 terms. They take some work to apply for but otherwise seem easy to get. Yes the also can refer you to outside scholarships that you can apply for later. I imagine they are quite a bit harder to obtain.

O
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    You can call the scholarships dept and ask, I believe it even says to do that on the WGU scholarships page. I called them once and they told me about other ones available, or you can also search for scholarships outside the school it's just a matter of research and applying for them.

I have, current students have to have completed two terms successfully and have a high enough completion percentage to qualify for financial aide (68%). Once you complete those criteria, you complete the online general form and it auto applies you to all applicable scholarships and they call you with the results or to schedule follow up as needed. I was told that I don't qualify because being from California, I make too much money compared to students in cheaper areas and my "need" isn't as great as theirs … ya know, being in one of the top 3 most expensive states and living paycheck to paycheck isn't enough need apparently.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I just saw on the student forum that someone said their degree came in the mail WITH the specialization on it. (IT Security for example.) Until now, everyone here had said they all just say BS IT.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all the scholarships actually from WGU must be applied for before you enroll or shortly afterwards. They are for $500 a semester for a maximum of 4 terms. They take some work to apply for but otherwise seem easy to get. Yes the also can refer you to outside scholarships that you can apply for later. I imagine they are quite a bit harder to obtain.

O

I'll add on top of that, I was flat-out denied for ANY WGU scholarship. Working on my 2nd master's degree. Kinda disappointed, I got the 2k military scholarship for my first one, but they don't have that one any more. Even MORE irritating, is that there is a specific scholarship for my degree (MSci, Management and Leadership.) And I started in the 2nd month it was offered, and still got zero to show for it. I'm actually still a bit peeved about it.

It would behoove them to give some kind of scholarship award/tuition discount to those who are working on their 2nd or higher degrees from WGU - they clearly have the capability and motivation to finish, so why not sweeten the pot a little bit...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed