Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    BowlJarBowlJar Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was removed, my enrollment counselor was talking to me about it. He said that it was removed abruptly. (The Network Design Bachelors)
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BowlJar wrote: »
    It was removed, my enrollment counselor was talking to me about it. He said that it was removed abruptly. (The Network Design Bachelors)

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250

Wow, that seems strange.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I just come back from vacation and the one program I wanted to enroll in is gone. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll keep trying to do certs ahead of time but not sure why they keep changing stuff every month and adding new requirements making it harder, what's the point?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□

It has been a while since I looked that program but how many of courses were actually design courses (like the CCDA)? Could that possibly be a reason?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My mentor told me they just had a meeting to pull the Integrated Physical Sciences course... maybe has something to do with it?
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like they messed with a few courses, added or removed credit here and there and swapped courses. In the end it looks like a merge of Network and Network D&M and more focused. So the "freak-out" moment is over.

The transfer credit outline can be found using the link below which also shows Net D&M removed. I think they should have kept that title instead. The transfer outline seems to be up to date (says 09/2014) compared to the program outline (06/2014) they have on the site so I'll go with the credit transfer outline which shows the new changes for all the BSIT programs:

Credit Transfer Outline

A compare of an old May version and new transfer guide shows for Network:
    TJC1 Effective Communications is now C132 Effective Communications
    TJP1 Application of Effective Comm has been removed
    CDC1 Intro to Biology and CDP1 Lab is now INC1 Integrated Natural Sciences
    UBC1 Intro to Physics and UBT1 Lab is now C164 Intro to Physics
    EAV1 IT Fundamentals II is now C393 IT Foundations.
    EBV1 IT Fundamentals III is now C394 IT Applications.
    ABV1 Operating Systems is now C183 OS Windows 8 Part 1 and C184 II. 6 CUs ea.
    DEV1 removed
    C187 Network Reliability and Fault Tolerance added 6CUs.
    AJV1 Server Admin is now C186 Server Admin.
    AIV1 Directory Services has been removed.
    AHV1 Network Design and Management is now C185 Network Policies and Services Management.

Back to studying for MCSA.
    My mentor told me they just had a meeting to pull the Integrated Physical Sciences course... maybe has something to do with it?
  • Options
    keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if for the BS: Software Development track the exams CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 and CompTIA Project+ 2009 (retired?) are done at home or at a Pearson Vue location? The course outline doesn't mention that these two exams are to be taken at a test center whereas the A+, Network+ and Java exams do.

Maybe somebody goofed and forgot to add that little tidbit with the former two tests? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To my knowledge, all certification exams are taken at test centers.
  • Options
    DonDealDonDeal Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keitaro wrote: »
    Does anyone know if for the BS: Software Development track the exams CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 and CompTIA Project+ 2009 (retired?) are done at home or at a Pearson Vue location? The course outline doesn't mention that these two exams are to be taken at a test center whereas the A+, Network+ and Java exams do.

Maybe somebody goofed and forgot to add that little tidbit with the former two tests? icon_scratch.gif

The Comptia and third party certifications will be taken at Pearson Vue and Prometric testing centers. WGU assessments can be taken at home with a web cam (they'll send it after your start date) or at a testing center/proctor.
    Master of Public Administration - 50% complete
    Master of Science: Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @DonDeal @Certinator Thanks for the responses guys. I was just curious mainly cause I'm trying to get my certs done before starting and I was curious if taking the new Project+ will meet the requirement since they're asking for the 2009 one. Looks like I'll call to make sure.
  • Options
    edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anybody been forcefully moved to the new degree plans? I was told on several occasions that it would be my choice if I wanted to switch to the new plan or not and I just got off the phone with my student mentor who told me they were forcing all students to the new plan. This really bothers me as I specifically picked the Network Admin track because I wanted the MCSA (for Server 2008 because that's what I use daily) and the CCNA. My mentor suggested getting the MCSA and then switching to the security track for the CCNA but that was not my plan and not why I chose to go to WGU. She is checking with some coworkers and is going to call me back and let me know what options I have.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edicwhun wrote: »
    Has anybody been forcefully moved to the new degree plans? I was told on several occasions that it would be my choice if I wanted to switch to the new plan or not and I just got off the phone with my student mentor who told me they were forcing all students to the new plan. This really bothers me as I specifically picked the Network Admin track because I wanted the MCSA (for Server 2008 because that's what I use daily) and the CCNA. My mentor suggested getting the MCSA and then switching to the security track for the CCNA but that was not my plan and not why I chose to go to WGU. She is checking with some coworkers and is going to call me back and let me know what options I have.

I was in the Security track from the get go so I welcomed the switch so I didn't have to do any Java certs. What is the problem with switching degree plans?
  • Options
    DonDealDonDeal Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keitaro wrote: »
    @DonDeal @Certinator Thanks for the responses guys. I was just curious mainly cause I'm trying to get my certs done before starting and I was curious if taking the new Project+ will meet the requirement since they're asking for the 2009 one. Looks like I'll call to make sure.

It's better financially to take the certs while enrolled so WGU pays for the certs.
    Master of Public Administration - 50% complete
    Master of Science: Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess really just because I'll lose the MCSA 2K8 and I was really happy with gaining that and the CCNA in the previous track. I would however be happy with gaining the Linux+.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know what happens if you pass a cert and you are set to take that class/cert later in your degree plan? I know trasfer credit after enrollment is not allowed, though my work suggested that I take Linux+ soon and Linux+ has been added to the May 2014 BS: IT track, so I would eventually take it. You pass the class by passing the exams, so wouldn't I just pass by defualt if I showed proof that I've already passed? Thanks.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Codyy wrote: »
    Anyone know what happens if you pass a cert and you are set to take that class/cert later in your degree plan? I know trasfer credit after enrollment is not allowed, though my work suggested that I take Linux+ soon and Linux+ has been added to the May 2014 BS: IT track, so I would eventually take it. You pass the class by passing the exams, so wouldn't I just pass by defualt if I showed proof that I've already passed? Thanks.

As you already mentioned, you can not "Transfer" in ANY outside classes or certs once you start. In order for you to get credit for 'completing' the course, you have to be enrolled in the class and request a voucher from WGU then pass the cert. Doing it on your own does zero for your class requirements.
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taking the plunge, MS-ITM on September 1
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Taking the plunge, MS-ITM on September 1

Same here, probably October or November.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed the MS IT Management degree has changed, and the revision date on the PDF is August 6, 2014. I can't tell what the changes are, does anyone have a list of the original document?

I recognize a few things that have changed. The degree used to be called MS Network Management, but it was renamed to MS IT Management. There used to be 1 class that was an objective assessment, but now the degree is comprised of 100% performance assessments.

The majority of the degree plan looks the same, however.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Yeah, I am hoping to knock out 6 or 7 classes my first term. There aren't too many people that complete this degree, so it is definitely hard to gauge how fast or slow progress will be.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I am hoping to knock out 6 or 7 classes my first term. There aren't too many people that complete this degree, so it is definitely hard to gauge how fast or slow progress will be.

I'm actually doing it now. July 1 start. Following the course plan finished the first two and doing current tech now and will wrap up the 3 first term courses in 2 months. I'm also not really pushing I could probably have done all 3 in 2 months but work is busy. I also do the tasks in those course pretty much every day so I had tons of material to work with.

I've set a year to finish but I figure I can take my time and still be be done in 8 months. Someone really pushing should be able to do it in 6 mths assuming they have experience. Overall i'd give it a 7/10 for what you see in a daily environment.
  • Options
    Awesome response, thanks GAngel! What is.the average workload that you have experienced for each class?
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks for that. Gives me hope of knocking it out in 2 terms.

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome response, thanks GAngel! What is.the average workload that you have experienced for each class?

Hard to say exactly but probably in the 15 hours a week range. It's really not that hard to do atleast one task a week though it's just lots of writing in this degree.

Make sure to follow the rubric and work rarely gets sent back. I've only had one submission sent back with about 2 days for a return.
  • Options
    PlasticjesusPlasticjesus Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone, I am really considering going here, After spending the last few years working on an AAS at traditional brick and motor college work and life has gotten in the way to many times. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with getting my application fee waived. I am considering the Network Admin track how does everyone else feel about it? Would IO be able to transfer any of my credits at all. The last time I considered this school the entrance counselor didnt know anything and it was very of putting. Also last time I looked they offered the MCTIP with the degree it looks as if they have changed it. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    WGU sent an email to me with this link. Pretty interesting. White House: WGU is
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Well I filled out my application on the 15th have my transcripts being sent out. I still cannot claim my login even after recovering password it doesn't work. I called the Help desk and they said try again on Monday, meanwhile I keep getting emails to accept my login and take my assessment. This is very off putting.
  • Options
    Call them again on Monday. Sometimes it does take a bit to fix these things, especially when weekends are involved.

• Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Call them again on Monday. Sometimes it does take a bit to fix these things, especially when weekends are involved.
    While I understand that I had two different counselors respond to me when I requested information. The second one after I had already put in my application and worked with my current enterance counsoler on getting transcripts etc. I am very much getting the impression of one hand not knowing what the other is doing and it makes me hesitant of this school icon_sad.gif