Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    drew726 wrote: »
    Do you use the TTS function on your kindle? I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work off a PDF.

I bought the Kindle version of the Sybex PK0-003 guide. As far as I know, not all Kindle books have TTS enabled by their authors, but many do. Darril's Security+ guide did (I only checked just to try it; TTS was not necessary for me to get through his book... :D ) and the PK0-003 guide.

As far as PDFs, I'm not sure as I don't have the DX and the PDFs I would like to read don't read well on the Kindle 2 I own.

The Sybex PK0-003 is definitely enough to pass Project+ but it is so boring that I had no choice but to buy the Kindle version and have it read to me in the female voice. Amplifying the volume got me through finding the right stuff to write and get through the Chaptal Wineries case studies.

I am a firm believer in using whatever means (that are legal and ethical) I have at my disposal. TTS on a Kindle is not perfect, but it got me through Project+ and pass it in one shot and quickly. The PM experience I already had was not going to be enough to pass that exam, but I wanted to be rid of this book quickly. Now that I have passed, I still have it as a reference and plan on going back to it with calm to help with Tech Writing.
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WGU say on their website they will accept some Canadian provinces - anyone know if New Brunswick is accepted, as it is so close to Maine not only geographically but in terms of processes too...

Also, if I go in with a lot of the certs they get you to study, how would I bypass those classes? Could I just study the others they set out, and then graduate?
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    ConradJ wrote: »
    WGU say on their website they will accept some Canadian provinces - anyone know if New Brunswick is accepted, as it is so close to Maine not only geographically but in terms of processes too...

Also, if I go in with a lot of the certs they get you to study, how would I bypass those classes? Could I just study the others they set out, and then graduate?

I'm not sure regarding the Canadian provinces portion, maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

But for the certifications that are a part of the program you enroll in, you can just send in your transcript from the certification provider to WGU and they accept them as transfers so you don't have to worry about those courses.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
    ConradJ wrote: »

In regards to the Province question, this is best left asked to the WGU Enrollment Counselor. A quick call to them might get that rolling for you.

As for your MCTS and CompTIA certs, you will have transfer credit for them and will not have to take the corresponding classes for them. Just have to have the transcript come from MS and CompTIA.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    So I'm good and confident on TSV1 and take the Security+ on Friday.

I've had my mentor add WFV1 to run through it. However, I'm looking at the WGU online-self study kit and the material is so basic and dry it's boring me. Looks like a ton of reading to not really learn much at all.

Is there another condensed resource I can study without the fluff?

Is it just a single test you schedule to take at same testing centers as other certs? Thanks.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    Pishof wrote: »
    So I'm good and confident on TSV1 and take the Security+ on Friday.

I've had my mentor add WFV1 to run through it. However, I'm looking at the WGU online-self study kit and the material is so basic and dry it's boring me. Looks like a ton of reading to not really learn much at all.

Is there another condensed resource I can study without the fluff?

Is it just a single test you schedule to take at same testing centers as other certs? Thanks.

It appears from your signature that you have A+ and Network+...

Pass Security+ and then do a brushup on HTML/XHTML on this cite:

HTML Tutorial

Do that a couple to few days, and then sit for WFV1. Trust me....your CompTIA (A+, Network+ and Security+) will carry you for this exam....plus the little bit of html. This exam is literally a mile wide and an inch deep.

I was set on getting the uCertify practice exam, but I was literally talked out of it. That exam is probably the only "cert" that I did NOT prep for....it was pretty much a comprehensive exam of EVERYTHING I did the past 19-20 years with PCs...(modems, for example, were talked about...but having ran a BBS, I still remembered my bps rates... lol...)

You'll be fine.

Oh and yes, you take this exam at a Prometric test center. CIW 1D0-510. You'll get instructions when you get your voucher.
    Well I got my task back for RINT1. I really thought I was going to get revisions for this one, as I thought this was too easy. But I passed it.

Pretty much had to wiki my information, go to the WGU library to get proper sources and make sure it talked about the points I wanted to cover, wrote my slides, cited my slides, and handed it in.

What kind of bothered me about this task was that I had to condense my topics to the point where I felt like I wasn't saying anything. I made my points, but I didn't really expand on them with any detail; like I would if I had to write a paper. The hardest part was picking two topics to do that with.

I'm on track now to kill the last of my GE classes. MY GEs would be over and it's all IT classes, plus capstone and tech writing from here on out. I am sure that the Amazon rain forest has been done to death so I will choose something else, though I'm sure most ecosystems have been covered. My topics I'm sure were done to death, so I'm not gonna worry about that too much. At least my mentor will be happy that RINT1 is done.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    any one else taking sst1 having trouble with task 2

im totally lost and the mentor keeps referring me to a site that i have no clue about
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jiovalonjiovalon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good day,

I am from Bogota-Colombia, I'm interested in doing the Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management WGU online, so if Anyone Could please send me an invite, I'd Greatly appreciate it.

I have doubts whether the certification help for the credits, someone can tell me also the quality of education at WGU

Email: jiovanny.alonso @ hotmail.com

Thanks
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Anyone have any good resources for the software dev courses? I don't care for Big Java book or the Wiley press book. I have zero experience with Java and am a bit overwhelmed by the tasks.......

I don't know exactly what's in those classes, but if you need a solid book on coding in Java you might want to look at Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks. I will check out that book.
  • mcse.cciemcse.ccie Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    guys it looks liek im about to enroll @ WGU, I like the return on investments from my certs. So can you guyssend me any current book list or whatever for java and the database classes oh and project mngmt please I may only need 50 units and if so i want to go for a one term deal but I am nervous sine I havent been to school in 10 years.

ill be weeding through this thread as well TIA
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    nhpr wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what's in those classes, but if you need a solid book on coding in Java you might want to look at Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel.

I read parts of Thinking in Java. . . didn't care for it-- too high level, and assumes some C/C++ background.

I like Java Demystified. Have both the print and Kindle versions.

There's also a free text by another author at Javanotes 5.1.2 -- Title Page. It's a slow starter, but picks up after a few chapters. Great for eReaders and for printing a few pages to stash for lunch, or, er. . . restroom trips.

Didn't care much for Big Java either, but it's far more tolerable after reading some other books.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    I got my transcript eval back and they didn't accept C++ courses for the programming classes. I guess they demand blood for the Java gods. Hopefully those are quick to churn out if you know the stuff?

Anyhow, can anyone who's done the art classes whether they require a great deal of time or if they're more towards the CLC1 level? Also, since they cashed my check, should I start pestering my enrollment guy for the webcam or is someone else in charge of that?
  • certdudecertdude Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How does WGU stack up against the other state universities in degree respectability? People tend to respect a CS degree from Purdue, or an Informatics degree from IU. Does WGU share the same sort of respect with hr and IT decision makers?
  • PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    certdude wrote: »
    How does WGU stack up against the other state universities in degree respectability? People tend to respect a CS degree from Purdue, or an Informatics degree from IU. Does WGU share the same sort of respect with hr and IT decision makers?

This has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. But to make a long story short there is still somewhat of a stigma with online schools, but as we progress and it becomes more of the norm that stigma is shrinking.

The important thing you have to keep in mind about WGU is that it is nationally and regionally accredited just the same as all of the state schools you are looking at.
    The important thing you have to keep in mind about WGU is that it is nationally and regionally accredited just the same as all of the state schools you are looking at.

Certdude, in short, that's what matters.

It is because of whatever "stigma" that many of us (myself included) wish to continue at a known B&M for a Masters. A "known B&M" doesn't necessarily mean a division 1 school like Purdue; but just to further legitimize the online school. If it's good enough for a Masters program, it's (supposed to be) good enough for HR.

As someone told me a long time ago; HR and recruiters only care about the last school you went to. The time I save completing a BS from WGU is time I can spend doing a part-time Masters.
    nhpr wrote: »
    I got my transcript eval back and they didn't accept C++ courses for the programming classes. I guess they demand blood for the Java gods. Hopefully those are quick to churn out if you know the stuff?

Anyhow, can anyone who's done the art classes whether they require a great deal of time or if they're more towards the CLC1 level? Also, since they cashed my check, should I start pestering my enrollment guy for the webcam or is someone else in charge of that?

If you've had C++, Java shouldn't be too hard, especially since you understand OOP.

As far as the webcam-- you'll have to wait until you've been assigned a mentor. That's the person to pester.
    --Will Rogers
  • yogiirtyogiirt Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there!

Can someone send me a referral for WGU so that I can save on the application fee? HOpefully, they still have that offer...

Pls send to rdsmess@hotmail.com. Thank you!
    yogiirt wrote: »
    Hi there!

Can someone send me a referral for WGU so that I can save on the application fee? HOpefully, they still have that offer...

Pls send to rdsmess@hotmail.com. Thank you!

E-mail sent.
    --Will Rogers
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Local News | Bill would partner state with online university | Seattle Times Newspaper
    At a time when Washington's higher-education budget is being slashed, some lawmakers believe a partnership with WGU could provide more access to college programs without costing the state any money. Earlier this session, the House voted 70-26 in favor of HB 1822, which would create a partnership between the state and WGU, similar to a partnership WGU established last year with the state of Indiana. The measure is now before the Senate.

Of course traditional college professors are going to be anti-WGU, but I can assure you it's not because of the philosophical differences in learning:
    Critics say the legislation raises philosophical questions about just what constitutes a college education. They say WGU is not a substitute for a four-year degree at a traditional college because students don't get the rich give-and-take between their professors and other students.

WGU is a threat to the professors' tenure. A full professor can make upwards of low to mid six-figures, and this is at the lowest-tier state school; whether it's in Washington, New Jersey, or anywhere else in the country. This is not a defense of academia in the proper sense, but rather a defense on these professors' livelihood.
    Smith believes WGU is different from other online schools because of its use of mentors, many of whom are college instructors and the majority of whom have master's degrees. "It's a shift from emphasizing teaching to emphasizing learning," he said. "It's a bit disruptive to the traditional model."

Personally, I agree with this. WGU, for me, was work, whether I found the class easy or not (and I'm talking about the non-certification classes). The cert classes was work too, (reading, prepping, etc.) but those could have been done on my own, I guess.

A partnership with a college that doesn't cost a state money....this is pretty much a no-brainer.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    A partnership with a college that doesn't cost a state money....this is pretty much a no-brainer.

Yep. This is probably early to take on Washington. . . they should have gotten another win or two in the Midwest ahead of this, or maybe partnered with some state in the South. The West Coast is an uphill battle given the extent to which these states are invested in their school systems and the associated history, not to mention the presence of Silicon Valley and Redmond.

No matter, though. These sorts of relationships are bound to become more common-- it's just a matter of time.
    --Will Rogers
    Of course traditional college professors are going to be anti-WGU, but I can assure you it's not because of the philosophical differences in learning:

WGU is a threat to the professors' tenure. A full professor can make upwards of low to mid six-figures, and this is at the lowest-tier state school; whether it's in Washington, New Jersey, or anywhere else in the country. This is not a defense of academia in the proper sense, but rather a defense on these professors' livelihood.

Yeah, these guys are panicking just like the old media is to the Internet. They should be happy about this because it will only make traditional colleges/universities more elite. There is always going to B&Ms that everyone will fighting hard to be a part of. Do these folks really think that it's going to affect them that badly??? I don't think so, and I believe eventually that B&Ms will be offering more and more online options for degrees.
    Do these folks really think that it's going to affect them that badly??? I don't think so, and I believe eventually that B&Ms will be offering more and more online options for degrees.

Comparing WGU to Harvard is like comparing Kelly Osbourne to Brooklyn Decker.

No Competition!
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Yep. This is probably early to take on Washington. . . they should have gotten another win or two in the Midwest ahead of this, or maybe partnered with some state in the South. The West Coast is an uphill battle given the extent to which these states are invested in their school systems and the associated history, not to mention the presence of Silicon Valley and Redmond.

No matter, though. These sorts of relationships are bound to become more common-- it's just a matter of time.

According to the department of labor and workforce development here in TN, WGU is in talks with TN to partner up as well. Wouldn't exactly help me now, but anyone who is unemployed in TN could use the grant for WGU, that's what I was trying to do when I was out of work.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

No Competition!

No need to be THAT harsh on people who went to Harvard. I'm sure Harvard is almost as good as WGU in most areas. :)

No Competition!

Ouch.... icon_lol.gif