Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WGU Readiness Assessment icon_confused.gif:

How was the math assessment? I've been out of school for a while, and math's never really been a strong subject for me. What should I freshen up and study before I take the exam? I'm pretty anxious/nervous about this portion. icon_redface.gif

Can anyone shed some light on the subject and give me a little advice?

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Shecky wrote: »

How was the math assessment? I've been out of school for a while, and math's never really been a strong subject for me. What should I freshen up and study before I take the exam? I'm pretty anxious/nervous about this portion. icon_redface.gif

I know nothing of math, at all. I really don't care for it and I don't get it, in fact i'm having to do one on one sessions for the foundation level math I have to take. That being said, the assessment is not proctored so you can Google to your hearts content. I feel that's the only way I was able to pass that portion. I was nervous too, if I can do it, anyone can.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Shecky wrote: »

Google the statistics terms median, mean and. . . what was the other one? :)

A copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Statistics may come in handy, and can be had pretty cheap at most bookstores.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    FYI: I just recieved my evaluation of certs by WGU and my server+ 2009 cert transferred in and wiped out the Operating Systems ABV1 requirement. (took place of 70-680 requirement). This is for the Network admin emphasis. They didn't take the 70-270 in its place which was weird in my opinion. Either way I guess taking the free beta exam for server+ in 2009 paid off.
  • Options
    acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,
    Just started my IT journey. I just started preparing for MCITP:EA, then I found this wonderful forum with so much useful information. Also have been reading through the WGU threads and WGU has been my second thought. Now I am confused should I do the certification first or start WGU right away? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I work full time and took computer science classes last semester in community college, was hard to balance work and physical classes.
    Thank You.
  • Options
    acharya007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Just started my IT journey. I just started preparing for MCITP:EA, then I found this wonderful forum with so much useful information. Also have been reading through the WGU threads and WGU has been my second thought. Now I am confused should I do the certification first or start WGU right away? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I work full time and took computer science classes last semester in community college, was hard to balance work and physical classes.
    Thank You.

Either way should be fine. However, I would go ahead and apply if you're going to. WGU provides you a nice resource for those tests, labsim. It is a very useful program and is helping me a ton with CCENT, it's also helped me with NET+. Kind of expensive if you purchase on your own. Other than that you get access to DL server 08 etc. which if you have a home lab will help matters as well.
  • Options
    rhythmMANrhythmMAN Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this thread, but am so absolutely relieved to see so many people in the IT Industry that have valued opinions - specifically pertaining to the IT programs @ WGU.

A little background: I've worked for a small non-profit agency (40+ staff/workstations) for 10 years now, and work 2nd in command to our Systems Administrator. I consider myself somewhat savvy with Windows OS, troubleshooting peripheral devices, database structures, etc etc....the typical IT support stuff. I definitely would like to reinforce my career with credentials/certifications, and learn more within the industry. But by no means am I yet a Network wizard or true IT professional. I have only minimal experience with Windows Server 2003, and little-to-no programming/coding abilities.

With that said, I'm getting started with the admission process @ WGU and am not certain which path would best suit me. The BS:IT degree seems like it may be a little too general, or broad. Then again, not sure if I'm versed enough to tackle a more narrowed path such as the BS:NDA or BS : Database.

If at all possible, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    acharya007acharya007 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Either way should be fine. However, I would go ahead and apply if you're going to. WGU provides you a nice resource for those tests, labsim. It is a very useful program and is helping me a ton with CCENT, it's also helped me with NET+. Kind of expensive if you purchase on your own. Other than that you get access to DL server 08 etc. which if you have a home lab will help matters as well.
    Thank you for the reply Hypntick, how many credits would it be equivalent @ WGU if I do the MCITP:EA which includes Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642, Exam 70-643, Exam 70-647 & Exam 70-680?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    acharya007 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply Hypntick, how many credits would it be equivalent @ WGU if I do the MCITP:EA which includes Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642, Exam 70-643, Exam 70-647 & Exam 70-680?

The MCITP:EA is worth 30 "credits" (or in WGU parlance--CUs) @ 6 CU each.
  • Options
    rhythmMAN wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this thread, but am so absolutely relieved to see so many people in the IT Industry that have valued opinions - specifically pertaining to the IT programs @ WGU.

A little background: I've worked for a small non-profit agency (40+ staff/workstations) for 10 years now, and work 2nd in command to our Systems Administrator. I consider myself somewhat savvy with Windows OS, troubleshooting peripheral devices, database structures, etc etc....the typical IT support stuff. I definitely would like to reinforce my career with credentials/certifications, and learn more within the industry. But by no means am I yet a Network wizard or true IT professional. I have only minimal experience with Windows Server 2003, and little-to-no programming/coding abilities.

With that said, I'm getting started with the admission process @ WGU and am not certain which path would best suit me. The BS:IT degree seems like it may be a little too general, or broad. Then again, not sure if I'm versed enough to tackle a more narrowed path such as the BS:NDA or BS : Database.

If at all possible, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Based on this, you might want to look at the BS:IT NA degree. That degree would quantify your system admin experience and may get you to be a lead sys admin at some point, if you want.

Not too general, but not very narrow. Though remember, your degree will still read Information Technology.

After 10 years, you should pretty much have an idea of what kind of passion you want to have in the field.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I've signed up for a webcam assessment, but I'm trying to determine how to get set up for it. My desktop, which has a Win7 partition, is in my office which is horribly messy with papers/clothes/etc. strewn everywhere. I'm assuming that would be a negative from a proctor's point of view as I might hide something in the chaos. I figured I could use my laptop in my clean and neat guest room. However, my laptop only has Linux on it, so I'm not sure of whether or not their software will be supported. Has anyone done a web assessment with Linux or Ubuntu specifically?

Can anyone tell me specifically what I need to check with my webcam to make sure it'll work with the assessment? The webcam works fine and dandy with standard webcam software I have on my laptop. Alternately, is a post-apocalyptic-looking room acceptable or are they going to make me move?
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me specifically what I need to check with my webcam to make sure it'll work with the assessment? The webcam works fine and dandy with standard webcam software I have on my laptop. Alternately, is a post-apocalyptic-looking room acceptable or are they going to make me move?

The only thing I had to clear up was my desk, which tends to get cluttered. I had no problem picking up my papers and moving it to another area of my office temporarily.

The only thing proctors want to see is the mouse, keyboard, sheet of paper, your face always looking at your screen (if you look around, they may shut off your test), and if you're taking a math assessment an approved calculator. When you install websentinel, you get instructions on how you should position your webcam (45 degrees).

They're not going to care what's behind you, but just make sure you always look at the screen, or down on your CLEAR desk....but always forward.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The only thing I had to clear up was my desk, which tends to get cluttered. I had no problem picking up my papers and moving it to another area of my office temporarily.

The only thing proctors want to see is the mouse, keyboard, sheet of paper, your face always looking at your screen (if you look around, they may shut off your test), and if you're taking a math assessment an approved calculator. When you install websentinel, you get instructions on how you should position your webcam (45 degrees).

They're not going to care what's behind you, but just make sure you always look at the screen, or down on your CLEAR desk....but always forward.

I get super cramped trying to keep myself in frame sometimes. I can understand looking straight ahead but I have to sit in such a jacked up position so they can see my mouse, keyboard and me. Not that they can see my mouse and keyboard very well anyways, they're black and blend in quite nicely with my desk. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i have a quick question. say I get a bachelors degree at WGU, would a state university accept the bachelor degree to get into their masters program?
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    i have a quick question. say I get a bachelors degree at WGU, would a state university accept the bachelor degree to get into their masters program?

Yep. WGU is more than fully accredited, so that wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Options

To add to the later point...."it counts..."

(btw, I really like that name..... :D [Fets Man here...] )
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    erpadmin wrote: »
    To add to the later point...."it counts..."

(btw, I really like that name..... :D [Fets Man here...] )

As a Giants fan, you guys couldn't have beaten the Rockies at least once? icon_scratch.gif
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thanks for the answers, and I made the name for my fantasy baseball team...but now its taking over as most of my usernames icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    As a Giants fan, you guys couldn't have beaten the Rockies at least once? icon_scratch.gif

Dude, we got a whole lot of season to go.....but man, it seriously hurts being a fan right now...
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    drew726 wrote: »

Go GIANTS! :)icon_cheers.gif
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So hey all, just curious as to what you use besides the WGU Learning resource when getting ready for an exam? Im not talking about a resource you might use when you start the class but more when you get closer to taking an exam.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    NickDog wrote: »
    So hey all, just curious as to what you use besides the WGU Learning resource when getting ready for an exam? Im not talking about a resource you might use when you start the class but more when you get closer to taking an exam.

for IT exams I use whatever people on forums and amazon reviews says is the best material. For the GE classes, i just follow their procedures
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    NickDog wrote: »

uCertify, Cengagebrain (for buying chapters of e-textbooks), Google, Wikipedia
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Well I just spoke with a lady on the phone today regarding WGU. It looks like I might be applying for MSISA program here shortly.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    C_RexC_Rex Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    flash23flash23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to get my cert transcript from comptia to WGU how do we do that?
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    flash23 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my cert transcript from comptia to WGU how do we do that?

This link will answer your question.
    http://support.comptia.org/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=27

You will have to know the receivers email address I am unsure if that would be your enrollment councilor.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So who has graduated and what is your rate of pay and years of IT experience?

Kinda just want to get down to the answer that really matters ;)
  • Options
    astrogeek wrote: »

Understood, but you don't really expect that level of personal data do you?

One poster here mentioned that he was able to transition into a well-paid development job due directly to his degree with WGU. I think there also may have been a poster who received a promotion as a result, but my memory is not as clear on that second case.

Just understand that no one can guarantee you magic 6-figures or anything based on a WGU diploma. In today's economy, one should be happy that WGU grads will have doors opened to them that will be closed to people with no diplomas.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    astrogeek wrote: »

I don't expect an immediate pay-raise or anything of that sort.

I'm already on 12 years of professional experience and the certs that I currently hold aren't responsible for my current pay (which is a little shy of six figures). It took 12 years for me to get to this point though, FWIW.

One is still going to have to sell themselves in terms of ability to work in IT, regardless of WGU emphasis. Many times though, I see people in the WGU communities who couldn't spell IT before joining WGU trying to do it and results are, at best, mixed. Meanwhile folks like the general population of TechExams.net who are students seem to be doing alright and are just doing it for the most part to get past the HR drones who want to see a degree.

Experience in lieu of degree is becoming an extinct phrase...it's not there yet...but it will be.