Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but I figure the longer I think about this the better a topic I'll select and the easier it'll be on me. Anyhow, for a capstone project topic, what are the criteria? I was planning on taking a security cert class/exam (OSCP) right after graduating, but now I'm thinking that I might be able to do it and write about it for the capstone? I'm all for killing two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Ok, So I am getting ready to take my first web proctored exam and I just wanted to know what to expect. I have the camera set up and I did the Biometric security things and installed all the software I needed. On the site it does not say where to place the camera. I think I am going to love the web proctored exam since I can take it a 9pm eastern time which is awesome.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i took mine at 9pm eastern, that was pretty sweet...

they stopped my test, I called them to see what was up, they told me the room was too dark, I had to bring in a lamp, and then adjust the camera and my mouse so they could see my hands and my face
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ive read a good amount of this thread but I have a question. What type of studying materials do they give the students for the IT exams. I remember reading something about that, but I forgot the answer.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I was wondering how long it took you guys to finish your Capstone? I'm trying to leave see if i leave my last term with 70-642, 70-646, Technical Writing and Capstone. Is that too much work?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Ive read a good amount of this thread but I have a question. What type of studying materials do they give the students for the IT exams. I remember reading something about that, but I forgot the answer.

Depends on the class. There's books, e-books, videos, LabSim, etc.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    drew726 wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it took you guys to finish your Capstone? I'm trying to leave see if i leave my last term with 70-642, 70-646, Technical Writing and Capstone. Is that too much work?

I'm curious as well. That's exactly how my last term is looking to be.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    My last term should be (if I finish project+ by 6/30 and pass ORC1 tommorow night) MGC1, TWA1, AJV1, CPW2 which in 6 months should not be too hard. So I do not believe that will be too bad for you.
  • Options
    You should take MGC1 at the same time as ORC1. Both are really easy.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sheckler wrote: »
    You should take MGC1 at the same time as ORC1. Both are really easy.

^^^^ +1 that. You should do ORC1/MGC1 either same day or a day apart (I did the latter...if I can help it, I try not to do exams same day...even if they are pretty easy.)
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I did ORC1 and the IWC1 the same evening last Sunday. Going to take the pre-assessment for MGC1 this evenin so I can schedule the assessment. All the WGU ones have been very easy so far the cutoff is 50% or so on most of them.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm planning on adding both ORC1 and MGC1 on this term. Would you say that those assessments are similar to CLC1 in terms of ease? I was able to pass CLC1 without any studying. I'd like to be able to knock those two out quickly and add on more if I can.

I got task 3 for LET1 passed last night. Only took a couple of hours to write the essay. I should be done with the final task in a few days. It will have taken me only two weeks to complete LET1. That means 10 CUs down within the first two weeks of the term. Nice.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    a lot easier than CLC1 because you only need 51%
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    For those of you who have taken Windows 7, Project+ and CCENT with WGU...

did they provide physical books? as posted in my CIW thread, I hate ebooks for studying for certs.. I love the Sybex book series, and I love the testing software that comes with them..

I have some extra cash right now, that I'm bound to blow at any minute.. so I figure if WGU is not going to send me the Sybex books, or a physical book of some sort, I might as well go ahead and buy these books while I have the cash..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

did they provide physical books?

I'm too lazy to log in and check the Win7 learning resources right now, but they do ship you a physical Project+ book if you request it. That, at least, is something you don't have to worry about.
  • Options
    do you know if it is the Sybex book?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    It's not. The project+ book they send is actually pretty short and not that good.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

did they provide physical books? as posted in my CIW thread, I hate ebooks for studying for certs.. I love the Sybex book series, and I love the testing software that comes with them..

I have some extra cash right now, that I'm bound to blow at any minute.. so I figure if WGU is not going to send me the Sybex books, or a physical book of some sort, I might as well go ahead and buy these books while I have the cash..

No CCENT book is provided. You get access to ucertify practice tests and the Labsim. Labsim is pretty handy but they do not split things up between icnd1 and icnd2. You'll find yourself getting into things you really don't need for that first test. I went through most of the modules that I knew pertained to the test and then got myself the Cisco press book and some gear. If you talk to the course mentor Jason he can request that you be sent the Cisco press simulator that Wendell Odom put out, has some awesome stuff in there that you can use to study with as well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    I may have to pick up that Sybex book for Project+ then...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you sign up for WGU per semester, Does WGU pay for the books and other materials or do you have to pay for it yourself?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When you sign up for WGU per semester, Does WGU pay for the books and other materials or do you have to pay for it yourself?

You get certain resources that are covered. Labsim, ucertify etc. However from my understanding some books are in fact not covered. They do offer a lot of e-book versions for some stuff though.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    jblavenjblaven Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, this is my first post. I am seriously looking at WGU. I spoke with them today for just over an hour.

It's been about 8 years since my last college math class. What's the extent of the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment? How heavy is the math? I would need to brush up. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I remember it being pretty basic. Other people mentioned just using google if they got stuck.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    First post here as I stumbled across this site looking up certifications...

I filled out the "Request Information" form tonight and hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow.

I had a question if anybody could help me out. Do they have you take any general ed courses along with these programs? English, Math, History, etc...

I'm very interested in the Information Technology - Networks Administration Degree and was just curious if general ed courses are in the course as well?

Also if you don't have your Associates degree can you take lower-division courses at WGU as well?

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    First post here as I stumbled across this site looking up certifications...

I filled out the "Request Information" form tonight and hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow.

I had a question if anybody could help me out. Do they have you take any general ed courses along with these programs? English, Math, History, etc...

I'm very interested in the Information Technology - Networks Administration Degree and was just curious if general ed courses are in the course as well?

Also if you don't have your Associates degree can you take lower-division courses at WGU as well?

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks.

From what I gather, you will have to take the General Ed courses if you do not already have an associate degree. I spoke with them today for the first time. They directed me to the degree page. Each degree has a PDF that shows the credits needed. I'm new to how it works, but I would say take the entrance exam. See how it goes. You may do just fine.

I think there is a requirement that you have to have at least one certification if you don't have an associate in IT. I have an associate degree, but not in IT, so I still have to get that cert. on my on. Hope that helps. Others here will chime in and be more helpful :D
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    jblaven wrote: »
    From what I gather, you will have to take the General Ed courses if you do not already have an associate degree. I spoke with them today for the first time. They directed me to the degree page. Each degree has a PDF that shows the credits needed. I'm new to how it works, but I would say take the entrance exam. See how it goes. You may do just fine.

I think there is a requirement that you have to have at least one certification if you don't have an associate in IT. I have an associate degree, but not in IT, so I still have to get that cert. on my on. Hope that helps. Others here will chime in and be more helpful :D

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I've been studying for the Comp A+ Certification and plan on taking the test here shortly, so if that's all you would need to get in that would be great. I have Community College credits, but haven't completed my info systems AA in full yet.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I've been studying for the Comp A+ Certification and plan on taking the test here shortly, so if that's all you would need to get in that would be great. I have Community College credits, but haven't completed my info systems AA in full yet.

I had to withdraw from my community college 8 classes from finishing to relocate. WGU transferred almost every single credit in. I was worried all that time at the cc would have gone to waste but that wasn't the case at all.

I don't even have to take A+ or Network+ because of the hardware and networking classes I took at the cc.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just read that there was another skills assessment test before EWB that is supposed to be much harder than the initial one. I barely got through the Math portion on the first one (haven't had a math class in over a decade).

What will happen if I do not pass the second math assessment? Also, can anyone recommend a good prep book that I can start reading?

Thanks.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just read that there was another skills assessment test before EWB that is supposed to be much harder than the initial one. I barely got through the Math portion on the first one (haven't had a math class in over a decade).

What will happen if I do not pass the second math assessment? Also, can anyone recommend a good prep book that I can start reading?

Thanks.

I'd like to 2nd Nobylspoon's request. It has been about that long for me as well. It is kind of a pain to have the credits for higher calculus and still have to take a math assessment. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »

Thanks.
    That is correct. The math on the readiness assessment is very straight-forward stuff. I got through it despite my "math issues". The math on the first-day skill assessment was much harder for me. I did not pass it. You will not be penalized for failing the first-day skills assessment. If you fail math portion, you get immediate access to some math learning resources, labs, etc. I did get an e-mail saying that I needed to complete *mathlab* within the first 90 days of my program. I didn't bother. I was focused on starting my first classes and since I wasn't planning on taking the math classes until later on, I just skipped it. It's not come up since.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3