Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    That is correct. The math on the readiness assessment is very straight-forward stuff. I got through it despite my "math issues". The math on the first-day skill assessment was much harder for me. I did not pass it. You will not be penalized for failing the first-day skills assessment. If you fail math portion, you get immediate access to some math learning resources, labs, etc. I did get an e-mail saying that I needed to complete *mathlab* within the first 90 days of my program. I didn't bother. I was focused on starting my first classes and since I wasn't planning on taking the math classes until later on, I just skipped it. It's not come up since.

Thanks for replying. That take's a bit of the pressure off. I'm going to try and relearn what I can before the 1st. I picked up the College Mathematics for Dummies book.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    How long does it usually take to complete a General ed course at WGU as I will have a few to take and would like to get them out of the way before I get into the good stuff?

I can spend 8-12 hours M-F on work to give you anybody a general idea on how much time I can spend on a certain class a day to help give me maybe a rough estimate.

Thanks.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    briandy81 wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to complete a General ed course at WGU as I will have a few to take and would like to get them out of the way before I get into the good stuff?

I can spend 8-12 hours M-F on work to give you anybody a general idea on how much time I can spend on a certain class a day to help give me maybe a rough estimate.

Thanks.

That completely depends on your mastery of the subject.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    That completely depends on your mastery of the subject.

What he said.

If you have bad writing skills, than the research paper is going to take you a while because they'll just keep rejecting it until you have no grammatical errors.

For the humanities courses, it took a while for me because I've never really taken any art classes.

A lot really depends on how dedicated you are to reading a text book that you'll probably fall asleep to.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    . . . I picked up the College Mathematics for Dummies book.

I'd pick up Complete Idiot's Guide to Statistics, but that's just me. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    xxdunstxxxxdunstxx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm very interested in joining the ranks at WGU. If anyone would be willing to refer me, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)
  • Options
    carajeancarajean Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey just wondering how many of you went the resume route to get in? I am gonna try that route as I was a tech for a year then got a job with benefits ( not tech ) but I still did work on the side for local companies for 5+ years.
  • Options
    carajean wrote: »
    Hey just wondering how many of you went the resume route to get in? I am gonna try that route as I was a tech for a year then got a job with benefits ( not tech ) but I still did work on the side for local companies for 5+ years.

The quickest and easiest way to meet admissions requirements is to just get a cert. I got Sec+ with just a week of study time.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PM me with your info for this form WGU Refer-a-friend Program - Acceptance Form and I will take care of it.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another great article!

I truly believe that WGU is well on it's way to becoming a household name. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Does anyone working on/finished with the object-oriented programming class (ABT1/GUT1/KFT1) have any suggestions on doing the UML diagrams? Is there any software that makes it easy?
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So starting WGU on the first, pretty much from scratch. No real college credit to transfer over. Any advice on the best place to start class wise?
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Guess it would help if I mentioned that I am taking Network Admin.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    It doesn't matter which order to take the courses in, but you probably would do well to start out with the non-IT general education classes. Those will generally be a little easier, so you'll be able to get used to the whole WGU system without also struggling with a hard cert (like the MS exams). Your mentor will discuss this topic on your first or second phone call.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    So starting WGU on the first, pretty much from scratch. No real college credit to transfer over. Any advice on the best place to start class wise?
    I recommend starting with the Language & Communications classes. If it's been a while since you've done any academic writing, these courses will get you back up to speed. There's a good amount of writing required throughout the program so it's good to get set on the right track early on. I did LAC1 (exam on grammar, mechanics of writing, etc.), LAE1 (essay), LAT1 (research paper), and LUT1 (oral presentation, the only one you'll do) in my first term. This has made subsequent writing assessments easier to approach. I also did WFV1 (IT Fundamentals I), which is a very basic CIW cert.

Good Luck!
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    I was curious about getting into WGU with IT Experience. I have just over 4 years experience in the IT world and it says I must send them my resume. Do they contact your current employer as I would rather not have them be contacted since I'm new there?

This company seems to be anti school for god knows what reason, but when I was hired they were thrilled to know that I wasn't in school, lmao.

Makes no sense to me though.
  • Options
    I completed my A+ and MCTS recently, I did need to send in proof of that. If you don't have any certs than I do believe you need to send a resume and it is likely they could follow up on it.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    The quickest and easiest way to meet admissions requirements is to just get a cert. I got Sec+ with just a week of study time.

I was wondering what material you used to study and pass in a week? Also I was wondering how many referrals does a student get? I was looking for one but didn't know if they were on a limited quantity.
  • Options
    I was wondering what material you used to study and pass in a week? Also I was wondering how many referrals does a student get? I was looking for one but didn't know if they were on a limited quantity.

Studying and passing in a week is dependent upon your current knowledge and the time you have to prepare.

Enable your Private Messages, then follow the refer-a-friend link on the beginning thread message. PM me with the information and I will refer you.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS

Completed this term -
  • Options
    j_griffith wrote: »
    Studying and passing in a week is dependent upon your current knowledge and the time you have to prepare.

Enable your Private Messages, then follow the refer-a-friend link on the beginning thread message. PM me with the information and I will refer you.

R,

J.

+1

I was familiar with the objectives before studying for the test. I used Darril Gibson's Security+ book. It is an easy read that covers almost everything on the test. It took about 4-5 days to read, a weekend to read over my notes and took the test the following morning.

Like I said, I already had a pretty good understanding of the topics though. If you are new to this you probably wouldn't start with Sec+... Although it can be done if you are a fast learner and a good studier.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    +1

I was familiar with the objectives before studying for the test. I used Darril Gibson's Security+ book. It is an easy read that covers almost everything on the test. It took about 4-5 days to read, a weekend to read over my notes and took the test the following morning.

Like I said, I already had a pretty good understanding of the topics though. If you are new to this you probably wouldn't start with Sec+... Although it can be done if you are a fast learner and a good studier.

I used darril gibson's book too. It's awesome.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options

R,

J.

where exactly do i enable them? i was under user cp but didnt see it there. i will look again though.
  • Options
    where exactly do i enable them? i was under user cp but didnt see it there. i will look again though.
    It is there under settings & Options | edit options.
    WGU PROGRESS

Completed this term -
  • Options
    It is there under settings & Options | edit options.

Yeah I enabled them but I think there is a post limit or something before I can access them. I went to the jump forum drop down box and went to private messages and it says I cant access it.
  • Options
    Yeah I enabled them but I think there is a post limit or something before I can access them. I went to the jump forum drop down box and went to private messages and it says I cant access it.

Yeah, you need 10 posts.
  • Options
    I'm just curious what people had to do to get into WGU with their IT experience?? Did you just have to send them your updated resume?? or was there anything else?

Going to start updating mine tonight and get the ball rolling
  • Options
    Oh ok i will try and get a couple more post.
  • Options
    Anyone using financial aid know the minimum CUs that have to be taken?
    I think I read that it was 18 but I cant remember for sure.

I start on Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out what classes I need to take.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone using financial aid know the minimum CUs that have to be taken?
    I think I read that it was 18 but I cant remember for sure.

I start on Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out what classes I need to take.

The answer as of 4 months ago was 12 CUs.