Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I sent my mentor an email letting him know how disappointed I was. I really don't think it is fair that some people have approx 170 days in their first term compared to others who get 180 days. If I was still working on EWB I would understand, but I made sure I had it done before our first call, but I still need to wait 8 days before he will set up any classes.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    NikeUnlimitedNikeUnlimited Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    same thing happened to me. Started June 1, finished EWB same day, I have to wait until Wednesday to set up my classes icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I remember right I got mine done before the first call and was able to start right away also.
    WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    *Question* I am curious to know if it would be a good idea to self study for my MCITP-EA which is required for the degree track I am considering at WGU?

I rather spend a few bucks on some bucks out of my own pocket and then have my current company reimburse me for the exam fee than pay WGU.

Not sure if there is any catches to this with WGU. * I am still super eerie of online schools*

Thanks in advanced
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    *Question* I am curious to know if it would be a good idea to self study for my MCITP-EA which is required for the degree track I am considering at WGU?

I rather spend a few bucks on some bucks out of my own pocket and then have my current company reimburse me for the exam fee than pay WGU.

Not sure if there is any catches to this with WGU. * I am still super eerie of online schools*

Thanks in advanced

The price per term is the same whether you have the EA completed or not. The nice thing about having it completed beforehand is that you are that much closer to graduation. On the other hand, if you're close to starting WGU, it won't make any difference, as you will either be studying for it while enrolled, or putting off your enrollment to study it. Also, while you're at WGU, you do get some study resources that are provided, along with a free retake if needed. All of that is a moot point, though, if your employer is footing the bill. In the end, WGU is basically no different than self study--you'll end up buying a lot of your own resources and you'll either sink or swim. That's my opinion, anyway.

Regardless, good luck whatever you decide.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea wgu is alot of self study... well almost all self study

how ever wgu does offer some nice learning tools
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Does anyone know if you complete your degree early in the term if they refund you the difference back? My mentor says no, but I thought I remembered reading here that people were getting this.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting question. I would ask finance.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Does anyone know if you complete your degree early in the term if they refund you the difference back? My mentor says no, but I thought I remembered reading here that people were getting this.

My mentor said he was told only if you wrap within the first month or so. I don't think that's necessarily the case-- I need to check the handbook.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are the assessments like for say NET +, Sec +, A+?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MikeinPA wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Long time reader, first time poster. I've recently enrolled in the IT program and I've scheduled WFV1 (CIW Foundations 1D0-510 Certification Exam) for later this month. I know this test has questions from all three areas (Internet Business, Network Technology, Site Development). I feel very strong with the internet business and site development questions, but I'm weak in the network technology area. Can anyone give me an rough idea of how the actual test is? Would you say it's an even mix of questions between all three areas? Is the self-study kit the best resource you've seen for studying for the test?

Relax pretty straight forward exam. I would not worry too much about it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the BS: Security program. I transferred in 22 competency units from college, my CCENT and CCNA, and I'm about to transfer in my CCNA Security, and my Degree Plan is telling me my projected graduation date is September of 2015. This is really scaring me, is this how long it'll take or am I just freaking out?
  • Options
    dt3k wrote: »
    I'm in the BS: Security program. I transferred in 22 competency units from college, my CCENT and CCNA, and I'm about to transfer in my CCNA Security, and my Degree Plan is telling me my projected graduation date is September of 2015. This is really scaring me, is this how long it'll take or am I just freaking out?

thats only if you go slow

you should be fine , transfer credits take a week or so to hit your aap
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    petedude wrote: »
    My mentor said he was told only if you wrap within the first month or so. I don't think that's necessarily the case-- I need to check the handbook.

I think it's only if you complete less than 12 CU's, then they pro-rate the difference. So if you only had 6 CU's to finish then you'd only be charged half.

I completed my last term in 2 months, but still had over 12 Cu's so I didn't get refunded anything.
  • Options
    thats only if you go slow

you should be fine , transfer credits take a week or so to hit your aap

My transfers are already showing up. I'm done with EWB and I have my mentor call scheduled for Friday.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    My transfers are already showing up. I'm done with EWB and I have my mentor call scheduled for Friday.

You still have to keep in mind that this is an accelerated program, so as you complete more CU's each term your projected graduation date will move up. When I started my term my projected graduation date was April 2015, but its moved all the way up to April 2012 now. Your mentor will continually adjust it depending on how you're progressing through the program.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A night owl...really?
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    A night owl...really?

My middle school mascot was an owl. I only remember this because we called our cheerleaders "The Hooters".
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your initial projected graduation date is based on 12 CUs per term. If you get more than that every term you'll graduate much sooner.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Your initial projected graduation date is based on 12 CUs per term. If you get more than that every term you'll graduate much sooner.

Is 20 per term doable?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is 20 per term doable?

I know some folks have done close to 60 in a term, that's not typical but is possible. Just depends on how fast you are at doing these kinds of things. I'm hoping to hit around 30 or so, which will allow me to finish up in 1.5 years which is totally acceptable to me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    i do about 24~33 depending on class type/graders
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    My middle school mascot was an owl. I only remember this because we called our cheerleaders "The Hooters".

Ok, WGU officially needs to get a football team accompanied by some "Hooters"....

Or better yet, for some motivation to graduate, have the top Hooter girls attend the graduations. I guess, um for some motivation for the female graduates, maybe...??????? Ok, I need some help with that one....
    Although, every time I've been to Hooters, I have never had an attractive waitress...I seriously get like the rejects. Hooters wings suck too... I did like this one act I saw at one of the HOoters in San Diego, where the girl got on a trapeze bar and hung upside down and hula hooped...thought that was pretty talented.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Taking BOV1 Javascript exam this thursday, any tips I should know before doing so?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    Taking BOV1 Javascript exam this thursday, any tips I should know before doing so?

Use the practice tests that WGU supplies! They helped me out tremendously with the type of questions that were on the exam. I took the exam a little less that month ago, and got 83% on it. I also have no previous programming experience and I thought this was a pretty good introduction to programming.

Finish the book, do the practice tests, and you shouldn't have any trouble with the exam.

Good Luck!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    For WGU's test do you guys prefer a testing center or the webcam?
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    It was awfully nice taking my assessment at 9 p.m.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

For everything non-cert I do webcam. It would be a huge pain to try and find a testing center to do the gen-ed stuff. I know of a few places around here, but the hours just wouldn't work for me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Is 20 per term doable?

Once I finish up TPV1 I will have 33 CUs for this term (which ends this month). I then have 4 classes (20 CUs) left so I should graduate this year. Woot!!

It is most certainly possible!
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer testing center. I'm lucky that I have multiple testing centers in my area, though. I like the structured environment of the testing center better than sitting at home where even unplanned distractions can throw me off of my game (I'm looking at you, annoying neighbor's barking dog). I haven't tried OLP yet but I will likely stick with the testing centers.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3