Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Finished EWB today, I would say it took me about 6 hour's roughly to complete it all. Everything was pretty straightforward and helpful and it was painless to get through it all. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    flash23 wrote: »
    thanks I'm doing the netwowrk design management path you guys got any good tips I mainly got the cert courses keft since I got an Assoc in interdisciplinary studies

Study early. If you're waiting on something-- e.g. course materials to arrive, or approval from your mentor, etc. start on the next topic. Keep moving.

Be creative and resourceful with materials. WGU doesn't supply everything, nor should they. You might find free stuff on the 'net if you look for a bit. Used books and eBooks may serve you very well (read again re: keep moving). Don't be afraid to utilize 2nd and 3rd or even 4th study resources beyond what WGU provides/recommends if you need them.

Make use of discounts and promos for study materials. The free 1-year student Amazon Prime is a great example-- free 2-day shipping. uCertify also has deals on their practice exams occasionally, which you might find useful for CIW.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You guys got to be kidding me. EWB took me longer than I thought to complete it. Maybe I was being too cautious. I did 90% of the activities. I don't mean to encourage competition here, but I felt rather slow. I mean... I know some of you guys have been out of school longer than me, and some of you are definitely older than I am. Yet, you were able to finish EWB within 4-5 hours, which I couldn't do. I guess I overestimate my ability icon_rolleyes.gif. Anyway, I'm glad I'm done with EWB, and that should be good enough. Now, I'm gonna go out and grab a nice cold smoothie! I know I'm a downer when it involves no alcohol icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started on the 1st! EWB finished BSIT:Net Admin is my degree plan. Anyone starting Net Admin??
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    So I asked for more information regarding WGU's MBA in Information Technology. I plan to go into that Masters program not later than May of next year. Anyone here in a Masters program at WGU? and if so, how is it? and can someone give me info on the process of transferring certifications? What transfers into a Masters program? I plan to have my CCNA and a Microsoft Server certification by the time I enroll.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    higherho wrote: »
    So I asked for more information regarding WGU's MBA in Information Technology. I plan to go into that Masters program not later than May of next year. Anyone here in a Masters program at WGU? and if so, how is it? and can someone give me info on the process of transferring certifications? What transfers into a Masters program? I plan to have my CCNA and a Microsoft Server certification by the time I enroll.

None of your certs will transfer into the MBA program. If you decide to go for the MSISA program your CCNA will knock off 2 classes.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    I am just not motivated for this course.. encouragement needed to shake my brain loose..
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    None of your certs will transfer into the MBA program. If you decide to go for the MSISA program your CCNA will knock off 2 classes.

Thank you for the response. How are the classes handled? type of program they use online, etc.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Jack2 wrote: »
    I am just not motivated for this course.. encouragement needed to shake my brain loose..

I'm working through LET1 right now myself. Yes it's a little dull but if you can just power through it it'll happen. As long as you look at the rubric and tailor your paper to it exactly they're really easy to pass. I'm more concerned with having to wait until at least Tuesday to see my results for 3 out of 4 of my papers. Just submitted #3 and about to work on #4. Wanted to get in at least a full day of Project+ studies so I can hit my CU goal for this term.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I'm working through LET1 right now myself. Yes it's a little dull but if you can just power through it it'll happen.

+1 for this.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know some of you guys have been out of school longer than me, and some of you are definitely older than I am. Yet, you were able to finish EWB within 4-5 hours, which I couldn't do. I guess I overestimate my ability icon_rolleyes.gif.

Age has very little to do with comprehension. however, experience may make comprehension easier if it can be related to knowledge previously gained. But if it is new knowledge and skills, then it really depends on the mental elasticity of the individual to comprehend and master the material.icon_lol.gif
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    coty24 wrote: »
    I started on the 1st! EWB finished BSIT:Net Admin is my degree plan. Anyone starting Net Admin??

Started it last month, June 1st. Welcome to WGU.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Just started the IT-Software program at WGU and I've been wondering if they will maybe add another Masters degree in the future that gears towards the software side of things such as programming and such?

Anybody think they will add any more Master's degrees in the future?
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Just started the IT-Software program at WGU and I've been wondering if they will maybe add another Masters degree in the future that gears towards the software side of things such as programming and such?

Anybody think they will add any more Master's degrees in the future?

You'd have to ask your mentor or Student Services. I think much will depend on future enrollments in the existing Masters programs and whether WGU seeks additional program-specific accreditation (e.g. AACSB).
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    WFV1 knocked out this morning. INC1 tomorrow.

NET+ and AD here I come.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Silly question but can you use a blank piece of paper and a pen during Online Proctored exams with the webcam? I know that notes are not allowed, I don't want them to mistake it as being my notes.

I was so paranoid during my first exam that I didn't move my wrists from the laptop, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know how many questions you need to get right on the A+ Essentials test? I know you need a 675 out of 900, but what does that translate to?
  • Options
    MikeinPA wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many questions you need to get right on the A+ Essentials test? I know you need a 675 out of 900, but what does that translate to?

Someone else please chime in if I am wrong here but I believe they don't openly disclose that information. This is probably because not all questions are worth the same amount of points.

100 Questions
    Scale of 100-900
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Someone else please chime in if I am wrong here but I believe they don't openly disclose that information. This is probably because not all questions are worth the same amount of points.

100 Questions
    Scale of 100-900

Agreed, but a 70% target still sounds reasonable. That's about average for most exams, and the prior poster should still review any rough spots before going in.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    vickca86vickca86 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I have been reading a lot of your posts about WGU and I have made the decision to apply for admission. I have spent far too long wallowing about not focusing on finishing up a degree.

I have a favor to ask though. Could one of you who are currently attending could possibly send me a referral so that I could have the admission fee waived? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Options
    vickca86 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been reading a lot of your posts about WGU and I have made the decision to apply for admission. I have spent far too long wallowing about not focusing on finishing up a degree.

I have a favor to ask though. Could one of you who are currently attending could possibly send me a referral so that I could have the admission fee waived? I would greatly appreciate it.

(There is a separate thread for this topic)

Send me your first name, last name and email address and I can submit the referral request.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    I've been doing the MindEdge modules in my CLC1 course and I was just curious is this for study or will they actually go over the exercise's I complete and my self-assessments at the end of each module?

Basically is it required to do all of these things for each module or could you attempt the Final Assessment right from the get go after you take a pre-assessment and both you and your mentor feel your ready to take the final assessment?
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Basically is it required to do all of these things for each module or could you attempt the Final Assessment right from the get go after you take a pre-assessment and both you and your mentor feel your ready to take the final assessment?

They're only for your benefit and no one's going to check. In fact, on the easier classes, people sometimes just do the pre/final assessments in quick succession.
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    They're only for your benefit and no one's going to check. In fact, on the easier classes, people sometimes just do the pre/final assessments in quick succession.

Thank you for the quick response. That's what I was kind of thinking when I asked the question, but I wasn't quite sure.

Thanks again. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does WGU pay for the cert's under their program?
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    jahaziel wrote: »
    Does WGU pay for the cert's under their program?

Yep. It's included in the tuition.
  • Options
    How much Geometry should I expect on the BAC1 exam? The material isn't that hard but there are a lot of formulas to remember. I'm taking my exam tomorrow and I am trying to allocate my study time between the different units.

Also, can you have blank scratch paper on your desk during the Online Proctored exams?
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    It looks like I will be joining the ranks of the rest of the WGU students. After alot of research. I have decided to enroll. I actually called a nearby major University to see if a B.S. degree from WGU would transfer towards an MBA, and it would. I won't start until Oct 2011. My wife is expecting late August / early September, and felt that there may be too much going on to start in August. I'm just waiting for one last transcript to make to WGU, and decide on the financial aid.

So now I have to wait almost 3 months until I start.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm just waiting for one last transcript to make to WGU, and decide on the financial aid.

So now I have to wait almost 3 months until I start.

Congrats and welcome to WGU. Just to let you know, I had trouble getting them to send me the actual financial aid award letter before I enroll, so don't expect to get it before you enroll even though you are not gonna start until three months later. Other enrolling students before you have the priority. The least you can do is to call the financial aid office and ask for an estimate after you completed all the required documentation.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    How much Geometry should I expect on the BAC1 exam? The material isn't that hard but there are a lot of formulas to remember. I'm taking my exam tomorrow and I am trying to allocate my study time between the different units.

Also, can you have blank scratch paper on your desk during the Online Proctored exams?

You can have scratch paper on your desk. It just has to be visibly blank. As far as the Geometry I seem to recall a decent amount of those on there, as long as you know the formulas you'll do well. I'm pretty horrible with math overall and still managed to pass. Of course I had a bi-weekly call with the course mentor to go over what I was studying and to help drive home concepts.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.