Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    drew726 wrote: »
    How come 70-642 is 6 units and CCENT is 3 units? I looked over the material and it seemed like a lot of things overlapped. Is 642 that much harder?

Not for nothing, but from what I understand for the CCENT, that exam is maybe a tad bit harder than Network+. The CCENT is one half of the CCNA (regardless of the feel-good certification one earns with a CCENT), so I can understand why the CCENT is 3 CUs.

Having said that, if one has a CCENT already (especially if it's fresh in one's mind), then 642 should be more than doable. A lot of subnetting, network engineer stuff is required to take the 642; in my case stuff I haven't had to do for over a decade. It's like riding a bike though; not stuff I have forgotten but it's coming back (at least for the IPv4 stuff). IPv6 is very new, but I seem to be getting that down as well.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Hello Everyone, I signed up for this forum a while ago, but this is my first post, I have been lurking on this site after I stumbled upon it researching WGU. I have been researching them for months, and this is without a doubt the most informative website I found surrounding WGU:IT and IT certs in general.

I was in IT from a young age until early 20's and then decided to pursue a dream of going into the wonderful world of law, needless to say it is not what outsiders see as glamorous and its just downright a dirty industry, so after 4 years wasted in my career, I am running back to IT.

I read all 100+ pages of the Student Experiences sticky and the 70+ on the Q&A, took a while. I only have one question for now: On the readiness assessment, is this webcam or onsite proctor? I did find this answer:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu-59.html#post517893

But would appreciate confirmation. I am sure I have many more questions to follow, but this is my only one for now. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wondering if any military guys on here could tell me if it was easy for them to send in their grade report for TA with the report WGU provides online. It only gives a "Passed" instead of a grade.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Devilry wrote: »

I read all 100+ pages of the Student Experiences sticky and the 70+ on the Q&A, took a while. I only have one question for now: On the readiness assessment, is this webcam or onsite proctor? I did find this answer:

The readiness assessment is neither webcam or onsite proctored. You just take it at home when you're ready. They give more than enough time to complete the assessments as well.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    The readiness assessment is neither or onsite proctored. You just take it at home when you're ready. They give more than enough time to complete the assessments as well.

icon_thumright.gif

Thanks for that clarification. It makes it a little less stressful, so that I can just focus and not worry about not being accepted.
  • Options
    Thanks for that clarification. It makes it a little less stressful, so that I can just focus and not worry about not being accepted.

Seriously, it's not an exam you lose sleep over. You are given ample time to answer questions, write an essay and some silly math. (Real silly math, even if math is your worst subject.)
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So after reading through here and doing my research I did all the necessary work last night to start at WGU in October. I already have a bachelors in history (so almost none of that will transfer I'm sure lol), but by the time I start I should have 5 certs (A+, Sec+, Net+, Server+, and MCTP) which will be 30ish CU's plus whatever transfers. I'm hoping to knock it out in 3-4 terms and actually have a degree that means something in the IT world. Thanks for helping me decide to push forward.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    So after reading through here and doing my research I did all the necessary work last night to start at WGU in October. I already have a bachelors in history (so almost none of that will transfer I'm sure lol), but by the time I start I should have 5 certs (A+, Sec+, Net+, Server+, and MCTP) which will be 30ish CU's plus whatever transfers. I'm hoping to knock it out in 3-4 terms and actually have a degree that means something in the IT world. Thanks for helping me decide to push forward.

I'm sure alot of your General Ed courses will transfer. I was surprised by how many mine did.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193

With a B.S you will get both Requirements Met on several classes and Transfer credits as well.

Adding in your multiple certifications (if they aren't several years old) you'll knock out a lot more tech classes before of those transfer credits.

I don't see you needing very many classes depending on which degree focus you choose. Look to finish in 1 or 2 terms easily depending on your pace if you choose the MCITP:SA route.

Any idea what B.S IT focus you're going to choose?
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options

If your school is properly accredited your gen ed will transfer in. If you have those certs I don't see why you couldn't complete it in 1 term from what I read on this forum.
  • Options
    Auburn University is where I got my history degree. Not only are we accredited we are BCS champions icon_cheers.gif. Anyway, i'm stuck deciding between the general IT degree and the network admin one. Getting MCITP:SA out of it would be really nice so I'm leaning more towards that. The only reason I'm putting in a large buffer for time needed to graduate is for the next 6 months I will also be doing the Health IT Workforce Training Program on the government's dime, Essentially 6 months of training so you can get a Health IT cert for free. You have to be in the industry already to do it, which I am, so that helps.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wow another wguer from montgomery ... interesting
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    wow another wguer from montgomery ... interesting

Maxwell/Gunter or private workforce?
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    private work ... kinda ... just not military

as ya can see im almost done with wgu so if ya need help im sure i can help ya out
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    private work ... kinda ... just not military

as ya can see im almost done with wgu so if ya need help im sure i can help ya out

Well I start in October so I may be PMing you from time to time to get some pointers on which courses to take and when :)
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Auburn University is where I got my history degree. Not only are we accredited we are BCS champions icon_cheers.gif. Anyway, i'm stuck deciding between the general IT degree and the network admin one. Getting MCITP:SA out of it would be really nice so I'm leaning more towards that. The only reason I'm putting in a large buffer for time needed to graduate is for the next 6 months I will also be doing the Health IT Workforce Training Program on the government's dime, Essentially 6 months of training so you can get a Health IT cert for free. You have to be in the industry already to do it, which I am, so that helps.

Go Dawgs!

/threadjack
  • Options
    Go Dawgs!

/threadjack

AJ Green is gone, so is your team.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Texas just join Washington and Indiana:
    WGU Texas is an online, competency-based university established by the state of Texas through a partnership with Western Governors University to expand access to higher education for Texas residents.
    Texas Online University - Texas Online Degrees - WGU Texas

Texas getting branch of online university
  • Options
    MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm considering going back to school through WGU and I know my certifications will get some of the technical requirements out of the way. I'm curious about my general education requirements.

I've read that there's a limitation on certs earned within the last 5 years (although I hope they're a bit negotiable on the A+, if I take it now, I'll have to recertify, whereas I earned it back in 1999, so my A+ is non-expiring, unless I take the A+ again)

I'm curious on the General Education requirements though - is there a time limit on them or does it really depend? I know I will have to get the transcripts evaluated to get an official answer. If most of my courses were taken 15 years ago, is it possible that they could still be transferred in? Has anyone had courses from that long ago credited?
  • Options
    I'm considering going back to school through WGU and I know my certifications will get some of the technical requirements out of the way. I'm curious about my general education requirements.

I've read that there's a limitation on certs earned within the last 5 years (although I hope they're a bit negotiable on the A+, if I take it now, I'll have to recertify, whereas I earned it back in 1999, so my A+ is non-expiring, unless I take the A+ again)

I'm curious on the General Education requirements though - is there a time limit on them or does it really depend? I know I will have to get the transcripts evaluated to get an official answer. If most of my courses were taken 15 years ago, is it possible that they could still be transferred in? Has anyone had courses from that long ago credited?

Your MCITP Desktop certs MIGHT be enough to waive A+, if it's any consolation.....

From your certs, you shouldn't even have A+ on your resume. No one cares that you can work on a DOS/Win3.1 386sx/16 machine anymore.... icon_razz.gif

(Sigh...the good ol' days.... :D )

Oh by the way....most of the GEs I transferred in were from 1997-1999. You should still be good. I am greatful for the non-lab chemistry I took.....though I wish I took the lab now.....lol.
  • Options
    Of course the A+ isn't on my resume anymore. I'd just hate to lose my first certification - it has a warm place in my heart :). And yes - the good old days longing for a machine that had 640k instead of 512k - you could just do SOOO much more :).

That's really promising though to hear that many of your courses were from back then, so there might be a real good chance that I will be able to bypass a lot of the general ed requirements. Once I get PMs enabled, I'm going to get the application sent in and get my transcripts sent over. . . now just to dig up my student number from that long ago so I can get my transcripts sent over.
  • Options
    Of course the A+ isn't on my resume anymore. I'd just hate to lose my first certification - it has a warm place in my heart :). And yes - the good old days longing for a machine that had 640k instead of 512k - you could just do SOOO much more :).

That's really promising though to hear that many of your courses were from back then, so there might be a real good chance that I will be able to bypass a lot of the general ed requirements. Once I get PMs enabled, I'm going to get the application sent in and get my transcripts sent over. . . now just to dig up my student number from that long ago so I can get my transcripts sent over.

If you are firm, they should waive A+ for you. Just remember...you will have to take CIW Foundations (1D0-510). When you look at it, you will find it a joke, but everyone had to do it. That's the one cert I didn't have to study for (except for the HTML....but that was just skimming....)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you are firm, they should waive A+ for you. Just remember...you will have to take CIW Foundations (1D0-510). When you look at it, you will find it a joke, but everyone had to do it. That's the one cert I didn't have to study for (except for the HTML....but that was just skimming....)

I guess I didn't necessarily realize that waiving requirements was negotiable or at least discretionary. I have looked through the CIW fundamentals won't be a problem at all - Javascript, that might be a bit of a different story. My lack of project management experience might make the Project+ part tough, but I don't think I'll run into major issues with any of the remaining Certs.

My biggest issue is that I wasn't looking forward to going back to English 101 if my credits were too old, icon_surprised.gif.
  • Options
    I guess I didn't necessarily realize that waiving requirements was negotiable or at least discretionary. I have looked through the CIW fundamentals won't be a problem at all - Javascript, that might be a bit of a different story. My lack of project management experience might make the Project+ part tough, but I don't think I'll run into major issues with any of the remaining Certs.

My biggest issue is that I wasn't looking forward to going back to English 101 if my credits were too old, icon_surprised.gif.

I know that when I started school, I only had to take one English. Later, they split it into two (comp I and comp II....) I never bothered with it until WGU.....

The funny thing was I had a B+ in English Comp....but it was only three credits and the other courses I did I didn't do so hot because skipping class was just a norm for me at that time. I do not include my transcript from that school.

You sound like me before I started WGU. I had a number of GE's that I didn't take and was able to complete all of them at WGU within 7 months. Thankfully, I took bullcrap courses like Soc 101, Psy 101, Anthropology 101 (Anthro and Soc were the same class....got A's in both and that transferred).

At the end of the day, I only transferred like 28 CUs (including my own A+ and Network+.....but they were just within the 5 year requirement....)

Reason I say A+ might fly is because you have the hire-level certs in addition to the MCITP Windows 7 Desktop cert. That might get you the A+ waiver....

Based on your ancient A+ cert, sounds like we're both in our thirties (you are probably older than I am, but probably not by much). Where we differ is that you hold certs in a higher regard than I did. I'm literally paying for that now.... :) In any event, you sound like you have the maturity to handle the WGU courseload, whatever it is.

The only reason I even had A+/Net was so that I could get an MCSA and then perhaps get an MCSE later. I had gotten a job that would have made that endeavor pointless (which I'm still at today). That combo though, got me an IT scholarship...(it appears they don't offer it anymore....though I'd keep checking).
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How many potential credits will transfer to WGU? Assumptions are fine.

I have a lot of certifications as you can see in my signature.

I also have a bachelors, which consistent of Comp 1 & 2, College Algabra, Stats, Marketing, Applied Accounting, Sciences, Humanities, Psychologies, etc.

I also have some one off tech courses from the local community. Database design, T-SQL development, Intro to VB, and Hardware and Software Support.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    N2IT wrote: »

I also have a bachelors, which consistent of Comp 1 & 2, College Algabra, Stats, Marketing, Applied Accounting, Sciences, Humanities, Psychologies, etc.

I also have some one off tech courses from the local community. Database design, T-SQL development, Intro to VB, and Hardware and Software Support.

Don't have time to calculate it out but I can say with a B.S already you will get several classes with Requirements Met along with transfer credits.

Not sure if you have any certifications but the college courses should count as transfer credit for some of the unimportant certification classes depending on your degree focus.

I had 70-680 along with Network+, A+, and CCENT transfer credit without ever taking those actually certifications and I only transferred in with an A.S.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »

Offhand, sounds like the database design course will definitely knock that requirement out, if you enroll in one of the tracks where that's required.

Having a BS means no Gen Ed for you! You might be able to finish in a year or less, would be my guess.

You'll have to take CIW Foundations no matter how well you did in basic hardware/software courses. That's just the way WGU rolls.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    You'll have to take CIW Foundations no matter how well you did in basic hardware/software courses. That's just the way WGU rolls.

Not me. If you check my sig, I got mine transferred in. I was surprised with the number of credits transferred to WGU. I got my AAS degree in 2010, and the 2 classes I took was heavily focused on web development, so I got the CIW waived. Not only the courses helped, but I believe it must have something to do with the name and type of degree I currently hold. The school I graduated from is regionally accredited as well.
  • Options
    Not me. If you check my sig, I got mine transferred in. I was surprised with the number of credits transferred to WGU. I got my AAS degree in 2010, and the 2 classes I took was heavily focused on web development, so I got the CIW waived. Not only the courses helped, but I believe it must have something to do with the name and type of degree I currently hold. The school I graduated from is regionally accredited as well.

I buy that. WGU recently (within the last year) made the AAS degree almost like a AA degree (Just so there is no ambiguity, I do not agree with that at all. That's neither here nor there though). They only did this ONLY for the IT students. Plus, judging by the AAS in your signature, I can see why you would not have had to do WFV1 and that is pretty cool.

However, a lot of us (myself included) who have been in IT for x amount of years and/or had a bunch of certs prior to WGU who do not hold a AAS in IT or Computers WILL have to take WFV1.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    However, a lot of us (myself included) who have been in IT for x amount of years and/or had a bunch of certs prior to WGU who do not hold a AAS in IT or Computers WILL have to take WFV1.

To some extends, I think it's ridiculous for WGU to force their experienced students to take the WFV1, but I believe WGU's goal is to make their students look marketable in the workforce. They probably don't want to have more than half of their IT students not to have the CIW certs, which would make prospective employers partnering with WGU wonder why they can't find candidates with no CIW cert. Even though they thought they were "promised" that they will see most of WGU's graduates with at least a CIW certification as said on WGU's website. That's just my theory. Now I just make WGU unmarketable. icon_lol.gif