Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just went back and looked at my degree plan and noticed that I am not scheduled for WFV1 at all and it wasn't transferred in either. Hmmmm? I just went to CIW's website and it isn't listed in their certification list either.
    Certified Internet Web Professional | Standards for Success
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Rappeller wrote: »
    I just went back and looked at my degree plan and noticed that I am not scheduled for WFV1 at all and it wasn't transferred in either. Hmmmm? I just went to CIW's website and it isn't listed in their certification list either.
    Certified Internet Web Professional | Standards for Success

Okay, maybe we explained it to you slightly wrong, but not all emphasis have the same fundamental course codes, even though it's essentially the same assessments. In your Software emphasis, you are required to take two web development classes, which are two CIW exams. AKV1, and WSV1. You may want to follow your program guide rather than relying on your WGU transcript evaluation which doesn't have all required courses you needed to take.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Offhand, sounds like the database design course will definitely knock that requirement out, if you enroll in one of the tracks where that's required.

Having a BS means no Gen Ed for you! You might be able to finish in a year or less, would be my guess.

You'll have to take CIW Foundations no matter how well you did in basic hardware/software courses. That's just the way WGU rolls.

Pete thanks for the information.

Whatever happens happens I will play by the rules. My objectives are this.

1. To get a degree related to the field I am in. My management degree helped me understand the financials (some what) and the other parts of Business like leadership and organization. My degree had 0% IT so I want to fill in some knowledge gaps and do this for myself. It's important to me and guys like you and Veritas and ERP and others have really swayed me to do this.

2. I am passionate about databases and design. Will I end up being a DBA or a developer? Probably not, but as a requirement guy now it will give me a much stronger understanding and that is important.

3. I am insecure about my management degree being in an IT field. So therefore this is removing a personal demon of mine I have had to endure for over 10 years.

4. I like the school and the fact you can leverage the learning into database and development certifications. That is exciting to me and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all the input.

Tomorrow morning I am taking my assessment exam and scanning my certifications to the appropriate group. My transcripts are on their way.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've just started the enrollment process. I plan to do the database program as well, N2IT.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I know that when I started school, I only had to take one English. Later, they split it into two (comp I and comp II....) I never bothered with it until WGU.....

The funny thing was I had a B+ in English Comp....but it was only three credits and the other courses I did I didn't do so hot because skipping class was just a norm for me at that time. I do not include my transcript from that school.

You sound like me before I started WGU. I had a number of GE's that I didn't take and was able to complete all of them at WGU within 7 months. Thankfully, I took bullcrap courses like Soc 101, Psy 101, Anthropology 101 (Anthro and Soc were the same class....got A's in both and that transferred).

At the end of the day, I only transferred like 28 CUs (including my own A+ and Network+.....but they were just within the 5 year requirement....)

Reason I say A+ might fly is because you have the hire-level certs in addition to the MCITP Windows 7 Desktop cert. That might get you the A+ waiver....

It's been long enough for me that I can't say I remember what classes I completed let alone what grades I got, so to some degree, I might be somewhat shocked by what I see in my transcript icon_lol.gif. I spent some time tracking down what I need to get my transcripts sent over and found out I needed my student ID number. . . Like I could even dream of remembering that!

I know I'll be able to get 30 CUs based on my MCITP: EA, another 7 if I can get the A+ credited. I'm hoping that I might be able to get 15-20 waived from GE. That would leave me with about 25 CUs remaining in certifications and between 40 and 50 in other classes. Definitely have a good head start on that.

My biggest problem was that I ended up letting someone else influence my school -- she thought she was more important than my schooling icon_rolleyes.gif. . . and needless to say, 16 years later, I'm looking at trying to get back into school.
    Based on your ancient A+ cert, sounds like we're both in our thirties (you are probably older than I am, but probably not by much). Where we differ is that you hold certs in a higher regard than I did. I'm literally paying for that now.... :) In any event, you sound like you have the maturity to handle the WGU courseload, whatever it is.

Wow, you're dead on, I'm in the high end of my mid-thirties. . . My first cert (the A+) came when I was looking to get into the IT field when it was booming back in '99, although I'd been using IBM/PCs since '89. I passed the A+ then went on an interview as a tech and was told that if I already had my A+ why was I trying for *that* job. I got the job and flew up the ranks jumping from job to job like was so popular back then. I ended up starting my MCSA/MCSE at my next employer - I was able to get a couple of tests out of them before 9/11 happened and budgets started getting cut. I postponed the rest of my tests until I found myself unemployed (and happily divorced icon_lol.gif) late in 2002. One thing led to another and got too busy to worry about the 2003 certifications . . . then too busy to worry about the 2008 certs. I found myself laid off in 2010 and went through several interviews that wanted to know why I hadn't updated my 2000 MCSE. Fortunately I've gotten on with a company that really values certification (probably to a fault) and have been able to blow through the MCITP on Windows 7, Server Admin, and Enterprise Admin. I've been tossing the idea of going for more certs or the BS in IT and have pretty much settled on the BS being the better idea for now - only because I found WGU - As long as I can get the aid to go along with it.
    The only reason I even had A+/Net was so that I could get an MCSA and then perhaps get an MCSE later. I had gotten a job that would have made that endeavor pointless (which I'm still at today). That combo though, got me an IT scholarship...(it appears they don't offer it anymore....though I'd keep checking).

That's the other thing I'm hoping for - between grants and scholarships, hopefully I'll be able to get through school without tacking on more to my already way too high debt.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm starting at WGU with an A.A.S. My enrollment advisor told me I will not need to take any of the CIW courses. I've been studying for CCNA:Security since about April and I'm pretty much ready for the exam, so this is what I'm planning to do:

1. EWB in 1 or 2 days
    2. CCNA:Security within the first week
    3. Security+ within the second week (I studied for this cert and took a class covering it during my A.A.S. and feel well prepared for this exam)
    4. Not sure after this, whatever is required.

Enrollment advisor said I would need 12 hours for 3 6 month terms and I'd be done. I'd rather do it in 2, or even 1 if possible...might not be able to do 36 CUs in 6 months because I work full time.

Any thoughts/advice about this plan of action? As long as my ducks are in a row I'll be starting in September.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Enrollment advisor said I would need 12 hours for 3 6 month terms and I'd be done. I'd rather do it in 2, or even 1 if possible...might not be able to do 36 CUs in 6 months because I work full time.

I know exactly how you feel when you mentioned job is in your way. Although, many others, especially, erpadmin would disagree since they think it's totally doable. I realized it is doable after all as long as you stay motivated and focus after getting home from work. It must have been the sweltering heat that swayed me away from my study. What helped me pulled through is my mentor and the resources they have. It will take a while for you to get through this transition. Believe me, and I know you can do it. Congrats and welcome to WGU. I hope to see you and race you to Atlanta in Feb. You have to be finished with everything by January 15, 2012 to make it to graduation.

EDIT: How many CU's do you have left? Is it actually 36 or was that just an example?
  • Options
    EDIT: How many CU's do you have left? Is it actually 36 or was that just an example?

I was given an estimate of 36 hours (at that time they hadn't yet received my transcripts).

That's awesome that you're graduating soon. It'll be here before you know it :D
  • Options
    That's awesome that you're graduating soon. It'll be here before you know it :D

Well, that was not official yet. My mentor trusted me to finish by June 2012, which I can do without sweat, but to finish in one term is daunting, especially when I have to deal with technical writing and capstone. I'm not the best writer there is, so knowing that this is my weakness, I fear I can't graduate within one term. I wouldn't rush if it wasn't for the graduation taking place at Atlanta this Feb. If I were to finish my SAP and only complete the minimum CUs each term, I would graduate by June 2014, which is not gonna happen on my watch. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Well, that was not official yet. My mentor trusted me to finish by June 2012, which I can do without sweat, but to finish in one term is daunting, especially when I have to deal with technical writing and capstone. I'm not the best writer there is, so knowing that this is my weakness, I fear I can't graduate within one term. I wouldn't rush if it wasn't for the graduation taking place at Atlanta this Feb. If I were to finish my SAP and only complete the minimum CUs each term, I would graduate by June 2014, which is not gonna happen on my watch. icon_lol.gif

Just took my English and math assessment and the essay portion of the WGU entrance exam. What I find funny is I had a way easier time with the math than the English. I'm sure that sounds pathetic, but I was able to bang through the math in 25 mins. A lot of the questions I knew immediately. I remembered a lot of what I learned from school. Now on the other hand I am sure I did well with the English portion, but it took me a lot longer. The essay was fairly straight forward.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    I remembered a lot of what I learned from school. Now on the other hand I am sure I did well with the English portion, but it took me a lot longer. The essay was fairly straight forward.

I did better on the English than on the math, but that's always been my particular tendency.

When I came into the program, they ran a second set of evaluations as part of EWB. Those were harder, especially the math. I had to brush up on some statistics, then retake the math evaluation.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I did better on the English than on the math, but that's always been my particular tendency.

When I came into the program, they ran a second set of evaluations as part of EWB. Those were harder, especially the math. I had to brush up on some statistics, then retake the math evaluation.

Sounds good.

Yeah I just want to get started and start taking my courses. I get anxious and want to get started.

How many more test do I have to take :)
  • Options
    Sounds good.

Yeah I just want to get started and start taking my courses. I get anxious and want to get started.

How many more test do I have to take :)

You'll have to ask the EWB course mentors, or ask Student Services. I don't know how they're handling it now. I wish they would somehow build the extra math into the admissions requirements up front rather than sneaking it on people after enrolling. I was a bit shocked about having to take two sets of exams, let me tell you.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    You'll have to ask the EWB course mentors, or ask Student Services. I don't know how they're handling it now. I wish they would somehow build the extra math into the admissions requirements up front rather than sneaking it on people after enrolling. I was a bit shocked about having to take two sets of exams, let me tell you.

Is it just the math or english also? Do you have to write another essay?

Sounds rather annoying to be honest.

Give me the assignments and if I fail then you know I suck lol. If I don't then it's all good.
  • Options
    Is it just the math or english also? Do you have to write another essay?

Sounds rather annoying to be honest.

Give me the assignments and if I fail then you know I suck lol. If I don't then it's all good.

I don't remember doing another essay, but if I did it was short or I'd still be steaming about it. :)
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I don't remember doing another essay, but if I did it was short or I'd still be steaming about it. :)

I spoke to a admission personnel and they said since I had my bachelors from an accredited school I wouldn't have to take any more entry exams. They also said a lot of the core requirements would be waived, so I will be able to focus strictly on the IT courses. Hope this is true ;)

Believe me business is something I love and truly have a passion for, but I want to fill in the knowledge gaps that I have right now. I am basically a self made IT professional with 3 community college courses and some certifications, mostly service management based. When it comes to IT database technology is something I truly get and have fun doing. Getting an IT degree in IS emphasis database development will be huge. And the investment is relatively cheap.

This would give ma a huge leg up and then I can focus on my master in finance, accounting, mathematics, actuarial studies, something that deals with quantative studies. I'm not big on the MBA, but that is just me.
  • Options
    Received the letter my assessment came back positive. It looks like everything is a go. Financial aid is in order just waiting for November 1st to start my courses. Can't wait to map out my educational plan. Looking forward to getting started.
  • Options
    Received the letter my assessment came back positive. It looks like everything is a go. Financial aid is in order just waiting for November 1st to start my courses. Can't wait to map out my educational plan. Looking forward to getting started.

It's August, can't you start in September? Or was this your choice to start in November?
  • Options
    It's August, can't you start in September? Or was this your choice to start in November?

I can see why he didn't shoot for September due to the 18th of the month deadline. You must have your Intake interview completed by that time to enroll for September. But what I don't understand is why he didn't want to enroll in October.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

I had started my WGU process around May 2010 and began it August 2010. They wanted my to gun for July, but I knew it wasn't going to happen (I remember July being a busy month for me personally and professionally...)

With WGU being such a new thing for me at the time, I didn't want to overwhelm myself at the time...wanted it to be (more) comfortable for me. I can imagine that's why others do it as well.
  • Options
    There are two reason why I decided to go for November

1. October my fiancee is moving along with my kids to Minnesota to take a nursing job. I would be in transition myself and don't think it would be wise to start in October
    2. It will be cold and a perfect time to stay inside and begin taking on my studies. I know I am all over the map with "ideas", but when I lock into something I am relentless and will not stop, rest, eat, etc until I am done. (Not with the major, but an assignment, test, etc).
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well..... I've made it. All I have is the tech writing/capstone. So close!!!!!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Excellent! :)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Awesome!! You going to Atlanta?
  • Options
    I had started my WGU process around May 2010 and began it August 2010. They wanted my to gun for July, but I knew it wasn't going to happen (I remember July being a busy month for me personally and professionally...)

With WGU being such a new thing for me at the time, I didn't want to overwhelm myself at the time...wanted it to be (more) comfortable for me. I can imagine that's why others do it as well.

I had my start date backed off by a month so I could finish and turn in my MCSA 2003 certs for transfer. I was also able to use the extra time to do some warm-up study for JavaScript, so the delay was helpful. There are valid reasons for a few people to push the start date back.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    next mth ill be running from my dead mth i need to get tech righting done and 70-640,642
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    How big is the WGU T-shirt?

They have the sizes on there, and I usually wear XL. Would it be safe to get an XL shirt? or should I get XX?

(You know how T-shirt sizes vary ...)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    How big is the WGU T-shirt?

They have the sizes on there, and I usually wear XL. Would it be safe to get an XL shirt? or should I get XX?

(You know how T-shirt sizes vary ...)

Which t-shirt are you referring to? The one that comes with the welcome package? I think the shirt size is pretty accurate for what I requested.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Ack, you quoted me in the same minute I was fixing it, and it was spelled wrong, boo-hah!

"where" versus "wear" LOL.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Ack, you quoted me in the same minute I was fixing it, and it was spelled wrong, boo-hah!

"where" versus "wear" LOL.

Spelled what wrong? icon_wink.gif