Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ArabicMarinex23ArabicMarinex23 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I start WGU In OCT. My first term schedule is EWB2, CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, and HHT1. I am pretty smart and do IT for a living. Math has always came pretty easy to me. Could anyone tell me how hard these classes are?

WGU Start date: OCT 2011 Degree: Networks Design Management
    WGU Transfered: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1,LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1

Remaining: EWB2,CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, BOV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIVI, CPW3
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I start WGU In OCT. My first term schedule is EWB2, CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, and HHT1. I am pretty smart and do IT for a living. Math has always came pretty easy to me. Could anyone tell me how hard these classes are?

Sounds like you'll do fine. Flip through this thread and the Student Experiences thread, and you'll get more detailed answers.

The one spoiler I will give you now, though, is most folks burn rubber through their CIW courses. Just sayin'.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EWB2 is just an intro to WGU and it's policies. Most people complete it in a day.

CLC1 has a lot of buzzwords but is mostly commonsense, you can knock it out in a weekend if you want.

WFV1 - not a hard course but very broad covers a lot of terrain. If you have an intermediate understanding of networks and HTML / CSS you will do fine.

GAC1 and HHT1 are the bane of my existence. Not because they are difficult. Except for truth tables it is all pre-algebra but because it is time consuming and (in my opinion) and inappropriate class for an It degree. I have gone around and around with WGU on this but they refuse to budge (so other people complaining to their mentors would help icon_smile.gif ) In my opinion they should be offering a business calculus class or something like that.
  • Options
    JavaSuxJavaSux Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am on track to graduate from WGU in June 2012. I have done really good up to this point but this course is killing me. To say I am not a programmer is a huge understatement. Anyone here finish this course? Do you have any advice or suggestions you can give to make this any less painful lol?
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I finished it but now I'm working on the 2nd java class which seems to be an even bigger pain. Are you still on the first task?
  • Options
    JavaSuxJavaSux Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am. I even thought about modifying a vb program I wrote then converting it to Java, as stupid as that sounds to say out loud lol! I am very hands on when it comes to learning certain things and the way this course is designed in conjunction with WileyPlus course materials flat out sucks imo. When you do the exercises, you have a show hint or link to text option. You click it thinking you will get some insightful help and all it does is give the most generic passages of the "book" that are related in the vaguest of ways to what you are specifically trying to achieve. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    The first part of the task is easy since you're just creating the GUI. It's like VB where you can just drag and drop the buttons and text fields and such. But then actually making it work got me stuck, but it's really not that many lines of code. Figuring out how to get the numbers from the gui into variables and the array is the main thing. Java message boards are a good resource, there's lot of really good programmers that post on them.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Completed the WGU Let1/ORC1 courses and do not need keep this beast around:

Organizational Behavior, 12th Edition (Book & CD-ROM) by Stephen P. Robbins and Timothy A. Judge (Hardcover - Jan. 1, 2007)

A little wear on the corners of the cover otherwise like new. CD rom still intact in back cover. No highligting etc...

$25.00 shipped via usps book rate Continental US only.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    JavaSux wrote: »
    Yes I am. I even thought about modifying a vb program I wrote then converting it to Java, as stupid as that sounds to say out loud lol!

For my GTT1/GUT1 tasks, I would often find myself writing pseudocode in a mixture of quasi-Java/quasi-BASIC then converting it into Java. Don't feel alone on that one.

I think it's tough to find good learning resources for Java. I read three books to get where I felt I had enough foundation to start, and once I started running, found those three books didn't cover everything I needed when actually working on the tasks!
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    For my GTT1/GUT1 tasks, I would often find myself writing pseudocode in a mixture of quasi-Java/quasi-BASIC then converting it into Java. Don't feel alone on that one.

I think it's tough to find good learning resources for Java. I read three books to get where I felt I had enough foundation to start, and once I started running, found those three books didn't cover everything I needed when actually working on the tasks!

Doesn't WGU provide you with training through Sun? I haven't had to take any programming classes through WGU, so I'm curious what they do to help you through these classes.

Oh, and here is a resource I'm familiar with: JavaRanch - A Friendly Place for Java Greenhorns
  • Options
    Doesn't WGU provide you with training through Sun? I haven't had to take any programming classes through WGU, so I'm curious what they do to help you through these classes.

Oh, and here is a resource I'm familiar with: JavaRanch - A Friendly Place for Java Greenhorns

I didn't like what I saw of Sun/Oracle resources on the Internet, so I've generally avoided them. I do use JavaRanch and other 'net-based resources frequently to fill in the holes, though.

I did eventually find some better books through Books24x7 as well, like Simply Java-- but we're talking midway through the second Java course before I found those.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    readytomovereadytomove Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi is it possible for someone to give me a referral to waive the application fee. I would definitely appreciate it.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    So I requested a voucher for 70-642 and they gave me a voucher for 73-642? Is this the same exam??
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    drew726 wrote: »
    So I requested a voucher for 70-642 and they gave me a voucher for 73-642? Is this the same exam??
    It is the same thing. The 73 just means it is an educational voucher. When you sign up through prometric be sure to select 73-642 when scheduling.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have some good study tactics for passing INC1? Please pm me or post here. It's so much material! And yes I followed the COS and flash cards as well. Thanks in advance!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    coty24 wrote: »
    Does anyone have some good study tactics for passing INC1? Please pm me or post here. It's so much material! And yes I followed the COS and flash cards as well. Thanks in advance!

I transferred in INC1, but for all of the GE classes, I followed the course of study word by word.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    vpchelpvpchelp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Q regarding the IT—Networks Design & Management program. I am mainly interested in the Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Enterprise Administrator Certificate.

A local tech school offers a 10 week course on it - In classroom instructor, they provide books, lab/hands on experience in class. What are the learning materials and format @ WGU? Would they provide the MS books? Is it video based (CBT) training? Do you take any quizzes or exams prior to actually taking the MS exam?

I definitely understand it would be 100% self study @ WGU. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Can anyone comment on WGU's Masters degree in Info Security and Assurance?

I am considering going back and obtaining my Master's degree. I will have the GI Bill and am eligible for the Post 9/11 GIBill.

Is there anyone else that is using their GIBill for this program and can speak about it?

If I crunch the numbers right they look something like this:

GIBill Monthly Payment: $1473
    GiBill Housing Payment: 673

Cost of program in 6 months = $2,890

So Monthly cost of program = $481

So 1473 + 673 = 2146 total GIBill payout

$2146 - $481 = $1,665 (amount after school bill is payed)

This seems a little too good to be true.

Any comments on these figures.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    I didn't like what I saw of Sun/Oracle resources on the Internet, so I've generally avoided them. I do use JavaRanch and other 'net-based resources frequently to fill in the holes, though.

I did eventually find some better books through Books24x7 as well, like Simply Java-- but we're talking midway through the second Java course before I found those.

How long did the class take you?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Can anyone comment on WGU's Masters degree in Info Security and Assurance?

I am considering going back and obtaining my Master's degree. I will have the GI Bill and am eligible for the Post 9/11 GIBill.

Is there anyone else that is using their GIBill for this program and can speak about it?

If I crunch the numbers right they look something like this:

GIBill Monthly Payment: $1473
    GiBill Housing Payment: 673

Cost of program in 6 months = $2,890

So Monthly cost of program = $481

So 1473 + 673 = 2146 total GIBill payout

$2146 - $481 = $1,665 (amount after school bill is payed)

This seems a little too good to be true.

Any comments on these figures.

I can't comment on Post 9/11, as I'm still exhausing Ch 30 benefits, then taking advantage of the 1 year Post 9/11 I'm getting after that....but what I can tell you after using 34 months of Montgomery GI Bill benefits is still relevant. Be VERY careful and stay very informed when using your VA benefits. The slightest miscalculation on the VA, the school, or your part will result in you owing the VA thousands of dollars. I've been through that process twice now. I compensated both times by registering for classes, and having the GI Bill money I WOULD have gotten to that debt.

Hopefully someone else can better answer your question about Post 9/11.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the student portal loading for you guys? I just tried on 2 machines but no luck.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Down for me also
  • Options

WGU Start date: OCT 2011 Degree: Networks Design Management
    WGU Transfered: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1,LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1

Remaining: EWB2,CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, BOV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIVI, CPW3

I started with those exact same courses (plus BAC1) in June. I just finished them all a week or two ago (3 months).

EWB2 was just a couple hours

CLC1 is about 75% common-sense questions. I spent a week on this one, skimmed the chapter reviews and scored high 80's I believe. The exam is a lot like the pre-assessment so if you have no problem getting 85+ on that, you should be ready for the exam.

WFV1 was pretty easy, just covers a fairly broad area. The learning resources and practice questions they provide will get you set for this. I just read the chapter summary PDFs, not the actual chapters. I was scoring in the 90's on the practice tests and scored in the same range on the actual exam. I only spent about a week, maybe 2 with the material. I already had a strong grasp of the networking domain and really just had to focus on HTML since it's been years since I made a page using raw HTML.

GAC1 wasn't bad. I have never liked math but the learning resources are great for this course. When I took BAC1, I read every chapter and took lots of notes but for GAC1, I hardly looked at the ebook. The quickest way to get through this course is drill the Skills Checks quizes. There are a total of 4. Three are for the various sections and the 4th is a practice test that pulls from the other 3's question banks.

I did the 3 section Skills Checks about 10 times each. (You will get different questions most of the time). When you miss a question, click the button to explain. It will walk you through step by step so you can see where you messed up. Keep doing this until you are no longer missing questions on the three Skills Checks and then do the fourth one a couple of times. If you do well on that, take the actual pre-assessment. This is the one you access through the student portal, not like the one from the learning resource. This pretest is formatted like the actual exam. Same principals are covered but it feels a little different. You can take this test 3 times, you will get the same questions each time though.

HHT1 was easy but annoying. I personally don't understand why IT students have to write math papers from the perspective of a middle school teacher. I felt a bit cheated by this as it seams they are just cutting corners by passing off a course tailored for the Teacher's College. I would have loved to see a practical approach tailored to real-world IT topics.

That being said, it wasn't very hard. My first submission was sent back for revisions but after making the changes outlined in their comments, I resubmitted and had it accepted. First submission took about 4 hours, revision took about 1 hour.

Start thinking about what else you want to add this term, you should get through those quickly. I added BOV1 and I am about to add TPV1. My term ends in Nov. I will probably be finished with both by October. Instead of adding anything, I am going to have my mentor unlock the AHV1 material so I can spend the month studying and take the exam as soon as my next term starts followed by ORC1 and MGC1 which are pretty much covered in TPV1. By week 2 of that term I expect to have 14 CUs complete ;)
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i got right in
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mbarra wrote: »
    Down for me also

Appears to be back up now.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    I booked my BOV1 exam for this weekend. I finished the readings and did lesson review after each chapter. I have taken 2 pre-assessments scoring 93% and 89%. Is there any other supplement material (books on Books24x7?) I should review before the weekend? I plan on running through the pre-assessments a couple more times throughout the week.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    surmysurmy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know as to which areas in Canada they are accepting students. Their website does not specificy which geographical areas. I've attempted contacting them via email, but I'm only getting canned responses which provide me with no information. Really disapointed in the service so far.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    surmy wrote: »
    Anyone know as to which areas in Canada they are accepting students. Their website does not specificy which geographical areas. I've attempted contacting them via email, but I'm only getting canned responses which provide me with no information. Really disapointed in the service so far.

i get my weekly call today ill ask

edit: i guess i wont get a call seeing as my mentor just had a baby
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Quick side-topic for fellow Armed Forces Veterans:

I got a postcard in the mail from the VA today stating that I qualify for VA healthcare benefits because I am enrolled in school. Unless I previously overlooked this in the past, I assume this is fairly knew program. I'm a contractor and the benefits package was terrible ($100/mo for just myself and really high deductibles and copays). I just recently dropped that coverage in hopes that I get converted to a permanent position soon. It looks like this postcard arrived right on time.

Any of you sign up for this or aware that it was extended to vets enrolled in college? I left the card at home but I will post the link when I get a change (or if I can find it on the VA site).
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    surmysurmy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i get my weekly call today ill ask

edit: i guess i wont get a call seeing as my mentor just had a baby

Thanks anyways, I managed to get ahold of someone. Seems like you need to have both a prometric testing centre and a Pearson Vue testing centre nearby. Sadly the closest Pearson Vue center is 3 hours away. Regardless, my faith was kind of crushed in WGU by all the useless robotic replies i've gotten. I ask a question about eligibility and they reply with how much cheaper they are then big colleges. Give me a break guys, treat me like I'm human..