Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    archimedes wrote: »
    When you consider that the vouchers are part of your tuition. The CIW exams can be knocked out in a few weeks each.

It becomes a cost vs. time issue. There are other factors that have to be considered as well.

In my case, I would have preferred doing Security+ before I enrolled. However, with work getting in the way, and nothing to really "force" me to read the Darril Gibson book, I just couldn't make the time for it. Also, I had to enroll by December, 2010 in WGU, or else I would have had to take the A+/Network+ exams again (and this was while both were still "lifetime") as per WGU's five year cert policy. I had just made it in transferring those certs in. If I didn't have that situation to contend with, I would rather spend the money to save time so that I could concentrate on the GE courses/capstone etc.

Either approach is fine though. Just note that there other considerations based on each individuals circumstances.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am taking about getting the cert/s to meet entry requirements, not just getting them to have some more to transfer in.

He doesn't have a degree to transfer. He doesn't have IT work experience. He doesn't (currently) have any IT certifications.

I am just trying to find out if 1 cert would be enough for him to meet the entry requirements or if he needs more than one. The wording on the site says transferable certifications (plural).
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I am taking about getting the cert/s to meet entry requirements, not just getting them to have some more to transfer in.

He doesn't have a degree to transfer. He doesn't have IT work experience. He doesn't (currently) have any IT certifications.

I am just trying to find out if 1 cert would be enough for him to meet the entry requirements or if he needs more than one. The wording on the site says transferable certifications (plural).

Two certifications (CIW 1D0-510 and A+) should be your friends best bet to take. It will serve two purposes.

1) Meet WGU's cert requirement for entrance.

2) See if your friend can handle studying on his own....(because, if he's going to have problems with 1D0-510, then IT and WGU is just not for him.)

Those two certs are probably the easiest for your friend to meet the requirements.
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    Passed the MTA 98-366 Netork test today! now on to N+ exam
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »

Congrats!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    usagent27 wrote: »

Congrats on your pass!
    thanks everyone :)
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I passed my final task of GUT1 which was my final course (already completed the capstone). And I am glad I did it in that order, because this was the most challenging course for me so far! Anyway, I will not be able to make it to the commencement ceremony, and have already completed the graduation application. Does anyone know how the rest of graduation works?
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    novovictus wrote: »
    I passed my final task of GUT1 which was my final course (already completed the capstone). And I am glad I did it in that order, because this was the most challenging course for me so far! Anyway, I will not be able to make it to the commencement ceremony, and have already completed the graduation application. Does anyone know how the rest of graduation works?

Congratulations!!! What a way to start Spring!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Congrats. When did you start the program?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! What a way to start Spring!!!
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Congrats. When did you start the program?

Thanks to you both! I started back in August of 2010. So a little less than two years to completion. I had no previous college so I had to do all the general education studies. However, my certifications did transfer in 30 or so credits (see my signature below for which ones).
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177

Congrats!

I just went through the graduation process recently as well, and all I had to do after completing the graduation application was complete the exit counselling for my student loans and then have my final call with my mentor. A couple of days after completing my graduation application and exit counselling I received a response saying they finished the process and my diploma will be mailed shortly with my transcripts (should be coming in any time now).
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1

Congrats fellow Aug 2010er. :)

You will be cleared for graduation within 2-3 weeks [no graduation clearance fees like some schools.] After that, you will get a diploma and two official transcripts in the mail (for use of sending them to other schools--if you open them, they're no longer official.)

You will probably still get mentor calls until records sends him an email saying that you're done. You will probably get a survey to fill out as well.

And that's about it, from what I can remember.

Congrats, once again!!
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You will be cleared for graduation within 2-3 weeks [no graduation clearance fees like some schools.]

I almost wish they did charge a graduation fee, though-- it would have been nice to receive a prettier diploma in a leather (vinyl?) case, like I did with Excelsior.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Anyone taken DEV1 yet? Security Fundamentals?
    Completed in one term
    petedude wrote: »
    I almost wish they did charge a graduation fee, though-- it would have been nice to receive a prettier diploma in a leather (vinyl?) case, like I did with Excelsior.

You can pick one up for free (and a lapel pin) at commencement......

How is the WGU diploma not pretty? [Not a disagreement; I really am asking.]

My parents have my high school diploma (which I haven't seen since I got it...lol.) I have nothing to [personally; I'm not going to look up how Harvard's looks like] compare the WGU diploma to.
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Thanks to you both! I started back in August of 2010. So a little less than two years to completion. I had no previous college so I had to do all the general education studies. However, my certifications did transfer in 30 or so credits (see my signature below for which ones).

As you can see from my signature, I have ORC1, MGC1, TWA1, KFT1, BLV1, CPW4 left. Do you think from your experience I can complete the rest in one term?
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
    techie2012 wrote: »
    As you can see from my signature, I have ORC1, MGC1, TWA1, KFT1, BLV1, CPW4 left. Do you think from your experience I can complete the rest in one term?

Remind me, is BLV1 a Cisco cert? Without looking, I have no clue what that is.

I know that TWA(x) and CPW(x) can be done within a few weeks. ORC1/MGC1 can be done in 1-2 days (assuming you have coporate experience and you did well enough on the preassessments). KFT1 looks like it can be done in a couple to few weeks. (See swild's WGU thread....) KFT1 and BLV1 are the only courses I don't have experience with. While Tech Writing/Capstone are specific for each emphasis, it's pretty much the same deal throughout the IT program...pick a topic/project, write about your project, incorporate a case study into your project, then make your tech writing paper into your capstone by changing some tense and adding about one-two pages.
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Remind me, is BLV1 a Cisco cert? Without looking, I have no clue what that is.

I know that TWA(x) and CPW(x) can be done within a few weeks. ORC1/MGC1 can be done in 1-2 days (assuming you have coporate experience and you did well enough on the preassessments). KFT1 looks like it can be done in a couple to few weeks. (See swild's WGU thread....) KFT1 and BLV1 are the only courses I don't have experience with. While Tech Writing/Capstone are specific for each emphasis, it's pretty much the same deal throughout the IT program...pick a topic/project, write about your project, incorporate a case study into your project, then make your tech writing paper into your capstone by changing some tense and adding about one-two pages.

Yea BLV1 is the CCNA:Sec. I am studying for that right now before the next term starts. Should be ready to take that as soon as my next term begins May 1st I believe. Seeing that ORC1/MGC1 can be taken in a few days and KFT1 in a few weeks. I may just begin working on TWA and CPW now so i can be finished by June. Then I will finally be finished with school!!!!!icon_cheers.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
    Congrats fellow Aug 2010er. :)

You will be cleared for graduation within 2-3 weeks [no graduation clearance fees like some schools.] After that, you will get a diploma and two official transcripts in the mail (for use of sending them to other schools--if you open them, they're no longer official.)

You will probably still get mentor calls until records sends him an email saying that you're done. You will probably get a survey to fill out as well.

And that's about it, from what I can remember.

Congrats, once again!!

I heard back from my mentor and I should get my diploma in the mail in 3-4 weeks...
    I heard back from my mentor and I should get my diploma in the mail in 3-4 weeks...

Call the records department after 10 days and politely ask when you can see your diploma. A lot of times, their auditing is done, but they haven't gotten around to just checking off the checkbox.
    Call the records department after 10 days and politely ask when you can see your diploma. A lot of times, their auditing is done, but they haven't gotten around to just checking off the checkbox.

Thanks for the tip!
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am considering WGU (BS IT Security) and from everything I've read here it seems like it may make sense to knock out some of the easier certs on my own before enrolling to shorten the program (hence the total tuition)

For example, I can probably knock out Network+, Security+, and Server+ with a little studying...

Is there a good mix of certs I should consider taking before applying, I don't want to overlap and take two exams that will end up only waiving one requirement. For example, I have a Microsoft MCTS and MCP in Networking, not sure if I'll gain any extra benefit from taking Network+

By the way is there a list on WGU's site somewhere of all the classes in the program.

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    You can pick one up for free (and a lapel pin) at commencement......

How is the WGU diploma not pretty? [Not a disagreement; I really am asking.]

My parents have my high school diploma (which I haven't seen since I got it...lol.) I have nothing to [personally; I'm not going to look up how Harvard's looks like] compare the WGU diploma to.

At commencement. . . $200 per person to fly out to UT, before food, etc. I think Excelsior charged 200-and-some for graduation fees, and included that nice diploma holder. That diploma holder does a wonderful job of protecting the diploma, BTW. I could tote that thing everywhere if I had to. :)

The WGU diploma just looks really. . . basic. It's not really ugly, but it's not the nicer parchment Excelsior used. And they just stuff it into a skinny envelope with other papers.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    At commencement. . . $200 per person to fly out to UT, before food, etc. I think Excelsior charged 200-and-some for graduation fees, and included that nice diploma holder. That diploma holder does a wonderful job of protecting the diploma, BTW. I could tote that thing everywhere if I had to. :)

The WGU diploma just looks really. . . basic. It's not really ugly, but it's not the nicer parchment Excelsior used. And they just stuff it into a skinny envelope with other papers.

WGU's diploma holder is really nice; that much I can tell you. Unfortnately, I had spent around ~$200 for the nice frame that has WGU's logo and name on it. The diploma holder I plan on using to house my graduate certificate (until I get the diploma holder from my current school; in which case that degree will also be framed and its certificate will go into that diploma holder.)

Truth be told, it's all about the transcripts than the actual degree. The degree, imo, was always meant to stay home/office/whatever. But the proof is going to come from the transcripts.

In any event, I see and hear what you're saying...if the cost to get your diploma holder and lapel pin will cost the same amount [before incidentals...but that can be managed] as when you had gotten your degree from Excelsior, perhaps its not a bad deal. Plus, you (will) get to meet your mentor in person [unlike me..... icon_sad.gif ]
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I personally don't care what it looks like. I just want a BS from a regionally accredited school so I can get on to grad school and start studying what I actually care about.
    So, I was planning ahead and noticed that there is not a Vue testing center within 50 miles of me that has an availability in May or June. I will be taking CQV1 and CNV1 during those two months. Has anyone run into this problem? What did WGU do to address it? 50 miles is there "acceptable" travel distance for a test. The closest testing center is more than double that.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Not sure what you can do. I have to drive 85 miles to my closest Prometric center.

Are CQV1 and CNV1 WGU tests or certifications?
    WGU grad
    No they are Cisco tests. ICND2 and IINS
    swild wrote: »
    I personally don't care what it looks like. I just want a BS from a regionally accredited school so I can get on to grad school and start studying what I actually care about.

Relax...petedude feels the same way; he's just stating his own opinion/gripe and he's entitled to that (as we all are.)

We (students and alumni) are entitled to our gripes. We all have them and they're not necessarily the same gripe....

The way the degree looks isn't really a debate topic or even subject to debate; he was stating an opinion and I asked him to clarify it so I could understand it as I don't have another degree to compare it too. But I think its clear that we all went/advocate for WGU because of its RA status.