Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    usagent27 wrote: »
    B) i'm talking about adding courses not scheduling tests

It depends on the course. Typically, you don't want to schedule a course in your last month UNLESS you can prove to your mentor that you will pass it. It technically can be done, but that's depends on what the course is AND how sure you can pass the course within your last month.

I was in a similar situation for LET1, ORC1 and MGC1. What I did was just work through those courses on my last month and then scheduled all three for the beginning of the next term. According to WGU, I knocked out 12 CUs in one week, but I had spent the preceding month working on LET1 because I had access to the questions from Taskstream before it was open to me (at my mentor's suggestion.) That is what you are going to want to do, and it's not a bad idea anyway. If for whatever reason you are having problems in the course, at least you'll have a whole term to make sure you pass.

Another extreme are the Microsoft/Cisco exams. I was down to the last wire on the 70-643, and WGU's policy is to give students for are having trouble an extra free month after a term ends to make sure they pass. For 643, I was litterally barrelling through getting a pass and it was looking grim that I might need to invoke that free month. Thankfully, it was not necessary for me to do that, but that option was available.

In short, it is advisable to just move those classes you think you can pass in your last month into the next term and knock it out then.
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    [h=2]WGU.edu or Local Community College?[/h]
    Hey guys I see a lot of people attending WGU here and I wanted to see if is worth it for me to transfer from Devry University to Western Governors University or to a Local Community College instead?

I really like so far what WGU has to offer on their website from Certs with your tuition to, online program and degrees options. Just trying to get some feedback from folks that have been attending or has graduated from it. I might be interested on the Security degree from them.

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    itangel wrote: »
    [h=2]WGU.edu or Local Community College?[/h]
    Hey guys I see a lot of people attending WGU here and I wanted to see if is worth it for me to transfer from Devry University to Western Governors University or to a Local Community College instead?

I really like so far what WGU has to offer on their website from Certs with your tuition to, online program and degrees options. Just trying to get some feedback from folks that have been attending or has graduated from it. I might be interested on the Security degree from them.

How much time do you have at Devry? If you are almost done, it might be better to continue with Devry and perhaps do a M.S. in IT at WGU. You'd want to contact WGU and speak to an enrollment counselor.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    How much time do you have at Devry? If you are almost done, it might be better to continue with Devry and perhaps do a M.S. in IT at WGU. You'd want to contact WGU and speak to an enrollment counselor.

Honestly I am done giving devry money. Last time I checked I had 1.5 years left a 24K investment, no thank you. They were not straight forward with me at the start. They gave me way to much info on the first day and the rest I though I was doing fine until I exalted my financial aid. My B.S. NCM degree with them cost right now about 68K. I already put in 53K and I feel it is time to drop even if I end up paying more somewhere else. I need a degree with certs and I keep hearing how people laugh at devry student resume. That sucks!

But I do understand what you mean and honestly I almost made the mistake of going back until I found WGU.edu on two days ago. I am already close to transfer to WGU.edu just to get my degree done but just wanted to see what people had to say about the school. Will people laugh at me for having a WGU.edu degree when I apply to a job?

Network Administrator
    :

• coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly I am done giving devry money. Last time I checked I had 1.5 years left a 24K investment, no thank you. They were not straight forward with me at the start. They gave me way to much info on the first day and the rest I though I was doing fine until I exalted my financial aid. My B.S. NCM degree with them cost right now about 68K. I already put in 53K and I feel it is time to drop even if I end up paying more somewhere else. I need a degree with certs and I keep hearing how people laugh at devry student resume. That sucks!

But I do understand what you mean and honestly I almost made the mistake of going back until I found WGU.edu on two days ago. I am already close to transfer to WGU.edu just to get my degree done but just wanted to see what people had to say about the school. Will people laugh at me for having a WGU.edu degree when I apply to a job?

I would definitely not give Devry any more money.....You should read through all of the WGU threads here, and you will find the answers to your questions.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

68K? That's a lot of money. If you have 1 1/2 years left, then I'd bail to WGU.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    68K? That's a lot of money. If you have 1 1/2 years left, then I'd bail to WGU.

Yea tell me about it I am kicking myself in the butt for not finding WGU before I join Devry University. =/ Oh well live and learn huh? I might consider taking their programming Software degree this time over networking since I never had the chance to do anything with programming and I might not know if I will enjoy it or not. Might give it a shot with WGU and if things come to worse I can switch back to networking. I do enjoy and love technology so I have no problem at all going back to networking.

Network Administrator
    :

• loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. I feel like these questions have been asked before so sorry if I'm repeating the same questions.

What is the real benefit of studying at WGU vs. studying for certifications on my own? If I could get my hands on similar study material that WGU provides for its students would I be better off studying on my own while following WGU's courses in order (as listed in PDF on their website) or is it somehow still worth it to attend the school?

I currently hold an Associate degree in Network Administration from a technical "hands-on" school, but haven't really done a lot more than helpdesk/desktop support and after 4 years of doing this I really want to move on to bigger and better things. I do have A+, Net+, Sec +, and 70-640 passed so far. One thing that attracted me to WGU is that you take the exams when you're ready and you can study at your own pace.
    loss4words wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I feel like these questions have been asked before so sorry if I'm repeating the same questions.

What is the real benefit of studying at WGU vs. studying for certifications on my own? If I could get my hands on similar study material that WGU provides for its students would I be better off studying on my own while following WGU's courses in order (as listed in PDF on their website) or is it somehow still worth it to attend the school?

I currently hold an Associate degree in Network Administration from a technical "hands-on" school, but haven't really done a lot more than helpdesk/desktop support and after 4 years of doing this I really want to move on to bigger and better things. I do have A+, Net+, Sec +, and 70-640 passed so far. One thing that attracted me to WGU is that you take the exams when you're ready and you can study at your own pace.

I have no problem answering this again.

Initially, having a gun to my head to get certs done by a certain timeline seemed very appealing. Even when reading petedude's opinion on the subject, as well as other, more well respected WGU students/alumni dropping out of NDM in favor of the regular IT degree, I figured I was somewhat special and different. In truth, I didn't think the Microsoft exams would be that hard (hard, yes, but not terribly difficult.) Boy was I wrong.....

The idea of getting high level certs PLUS a BSc is very appealing. However, the quick timeframe to get the certs done on top of your classes.......just so you're not paying $3k a term for two MS cert exams...can make one go insane. Toward the end of my third term, I was seriously considering going on a serious bender if I had failed the 70-643 again.

Since you have a MS exam down, plus an Associates, you could do either NDM or NA. (If you don't want to deal with Cisco, then go NDM.) You probably won't even have that many GEs to do.....probably safe to assume you could finish WGU in one term. Two at max.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    loss4words wrote: »

The advantage is that you get the degree at the end. All of the learning resources provided are enough to get through most of the exams. Plus you can get financial aid. I wound up paying $1285 out of pocket for this term after pell grant and WGU scholarship. Just adding up the cost of the exam fees that I will be going through is more than that, not to mention all the study materials. Test fees for the Cisco ICND1, ICND2 and CCNA Sec add up to $550, then you have to buy your books. Project+ is another $250. These are all things I wanted to get on my own. So we are at $800 in testing fees. Add another $485 for a Bachelors degree? Sure! Plus, since I am paying for it out of pocket, I am incentivized to get it done ASAP. Instead of, "oh I guess I should go study instead of playing Skyrim. Nah, maybe tomorrow."
  • kodyabbottkodyabbott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I took everyone's advice and switched over to the basic Bachelor of Science, Information Technology from Networking Admin.

Finally set my AAV today..... what a drawn out process. So much for starting on the 1st of March. Although I was able to access the learning resources for my first course!
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    kodyabbott wrote: »
    So I took everyone's advice and switched over to the basic Bachelor of Science, Information Technology from Networking Admin.

Finally set my AAV today..... what a drawn out process. So much for starting on the 1st of March. Although I was able to access the learning resources for my first course!

After reading up on that, I am contemplating the same. I'd like to finish in 2 years or less and I can always talk to my boss about getting training on the heavy Microsoft stuff/paying for exams. I havent started WGU yet. Assessment exam is on my list for this week.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490

Welcome to the Network Admin. emphasis!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Welcome to the Network Admin. emphasis!icon_thumright.gif

Sorry I should of made it more clear. I am now doing the Bachelor of Science, Information Technology Program.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Sorry I should of made it more clear. I am now doing the Bachelor of Science, Information Technology Program.

Actually you made it quite clear, I misread. Best of luck in your studies!!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Actually you made it quite clear, I misread. Best of luck in your studies!!!

Thanks!! Should be fun!
  • archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have recommendations or have extremely favorable comments about their mentor? I was told I can request a specific mentor if I have a name. I am doing the BSIT in software and start on April 1.

Cheers
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    [QUOTE=erpadmin;615888
    Initially, having a gun to my head to get certs done by a certain timeline seemed very appealing. Even when reading petedude's opinion on the subject, as well as other, more well respected WGU students/alumni dropping out of NDM in favor of the regular IT degree, I figured I was somewhat special and different. In truth, I didn't think the Microsoft exams would be that hard (hard, yes, but not terribly difficult.) Boy was I wrong.....
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not against folks taking the cert-heavy, career-specific concentrations like NA as much as I just like the general IT track. If you don't think you have time, budget, motivation or support resources to get your certs (um, even if you are like, reading this board)-- then get them through WGU. The general IT track is cool in that it covers broad aspects of IT most folks won't get their hands on otherwise, and the certs included won't burden most folks.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    archimedes wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations or have extremely favorable comments about their mentor? I was told I can request a specific mentor if I have a name. I am doing the BSIT in software and start on April 1.

Cheers

I really liked Hope Cole for my fast start mentor. Highly recommended, but I didn't even know you could request a specific mentor.
    petedude wrote: »
    I'm not against folks taking the cert-heavy, career-specific concentrations like NA as much as I just like the general IT track. If you don't think you have time, budget, motivation or support resources to get your certs (um, even if you are like, reading this board)-- then get them through WGU. The general IT track is cool in that it covers broad aspects of IT most folks won't get their hands on otherwise, and the certs included won't burden most folks.

I agree that the general IT track is really good for everyone who is starting out in IT (i.e., working a general help desk position) since it does expose you to so many different aspects. However, anyone who is already in IT should go for an emphasis, unless they are just wanting to get to management.
    swild wrote: »
    However, anyone who is already in IT should go for an emphasis, unless they are just wanting to get to management.

If they want to finish quickly, experience in IT or not, then folks will want the general IT degree. All I deal with are Microsoft servers, and have been for over 15 years. I still found the MCITP:EA cert to be quite draining. I still had to lab.

Plus, emphasi like Security and Network Administration now require a CCNA/CCENT. The Cisco stuff can take a lot of time.

I don't regret taking the Network Design & Management emphasis, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have done the regular IT degree....but I had Dad's stubborness/tunnel vision about getting the MCITP:EA, just to prove to myself I could. Now that I have it....it's like "whatever..." While I will proudly list the certification, as well as discuss anything technical from a MS perspective, the EA isn't going to get me the job I want (though I believe it will help if the next shop is a pure MS shop.) I do believe the emphasis, plus my MS degree will get me into a management gig. That's ultimately what I want now.
    petedude wrote: »
    The general IT track is cool in that it covers broad aspects of IT most folks won't get their hands on otherwise, and the certs included won't burden most folks.

I didn't care for the burden.....I thought I did care....but when it got down to the end, I was stressing the heck out. If I had the general degree track, I would not have stressed so much. But I guess it's all about one's time.
    I have 4 kids (7 and under) and a filipino jersey girl for a wife. I think that qualifies as stress. :D
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I have 4 kids (7 and under) and a filipino jersey girl for a wife. I think that qualifies as stress. :D

Unless your wife is male [not that there's anything wrong with that...] she's a filipina. :) filipinos are male. [Not trying to be a ----...just saying that I always got harped on for that....]

Between Jersey City and Belleville, I feel as though I've been to Manila, and hence no need to visit....lmao.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    swild wrote: »
    I agree that the general IT track is really good for everyone who is starting out in IT (i.e., working a general help desk position) since it does expose you to so many different aspects. However, anyone who is already in IT should go for an emphasis, unless they are just wanting to get to management.

If you have to pay in full (no financial aid or grants) for WGU like I have I strongly urge taking the general track. The degree is the same no matter the emphasis. I think it is a good deal if you take Comptia through WGU since the tests are expensive. The same holds true for CIW since there aren't a lot of learning resources available.

I feel that Cisco certs and MCITP certs you are better off getting on your own. The learning resources aren't that great that they give you and those tests take considerable amounts of time, so the bang for your buck isn't there. If you have a lot of Server experience or Cisco experience I would maybe look at that differently. Take a look at the MCITP SA exams. Say you were able to get the 3 exams done and passed in a 6 month term. It would cost you 28xx.xx dollars to do that. If you did that on your own that would be 150 per test x3 = 450 dollars. Say you bought 2 books for each exam at 100 dollars per exam that would be another 300 dollars. You bought Transcender practice exams for 6 months at 79 dollars each at 474 dollars. That total is around 1225 dollars. You could still pick up CBTNuggets for months at 1200 dollars and still have spent less than WGU.

Like I said if you get Pell grants etc. or have a lot of MS or Cisco experience this is a non issue.
    WGU grad
    SteveLord wrote: »

My wife grew up in Latin America. Have you ever been told:

(a) not to drink cold drinks while fighting a cold? I mean, not just that hot drinks will help you feel better, but that if you drink cold soda while sick you will develop pneumonia and die;
    (b) not to bathe while fighting a cold? Not just "don't go outside with your hair wet", literally. . . don't bathe. (My response: Professionals must bathe, so this sentence got commuted to "one must bathe at night then".)
    (c) etc.

SteveLord, I must kid you and say you know not the meaning of stress. :D
    --Will Rogers
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Unless your wife is male [not that there's anything wrong with that...] she's a filipina. :) filipinos are male. [Not trying to be a ----...just saying that I always got harped on for that....]

Between Jersey City and Belleville, I feel as though I've been to Manila, and hence no need to visit....lmao.

Ha. You caught me on that one. Filipina is the most correct. However, filipino is still commonly used as well. I lived on Stegman Parkway in JC. In a multi family house full of filipinos and in between other houses of filipinos. And half my closest buddies in my Guard unit there were filipinos. I come back to Iowa and my neighbor across the street (another IT guy) is filipino. Can't get away from them, but they are a rarity here in Iowa. ;)
    You can request your mentor at this link: http://tinyurl.com/MentorRequests
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recall an enrollment requirement of either an A.S., work experience or IT certifications to be accepted into any IT degree program. Does anyone know how many certs are required if going that route. The wording is plural, just wondering if anyone here was accepted with just 1 cert.

I have a friend interested in going the software developer route but he doesn't have an IT background. I have lent him my CIW Javascript material so he can knock it out before applying. Do you think that will be enough or should he also do another easy cert like one of the new MTAs?

Thanks!
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I have a friend interested in going the software developer route but he doesn't have an IT background. I have lent him my CIW Javascript material so he can knock it out before applying. Do you think that will be enough or should he also do another easy cert like one of the new MTAs?

Is he transferring a degree? They will only transfer so many courses regardless of where they came from.

Transferring a couple certs is a good idea-- it'll speed up progress a bit. Outside of that, it's probably not worth the effort.
    --Will Rogers
    I personally don't think the easy certs are worth taking before starting WGU. When you consider that the vouchers are part of your tuition. The CIW exams can be knocked out in a few weeks each.

The MTA exams are pretty tough and if he already knows the material those may be worth it. But if he is just starting, I would prefer to just enroll, and beginning studying for the MTAs. It will be a few terms before he gets to those classes. By then he can just knock them out.