Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    petedude wrote: »
    Slow down a moment-- last I recall, they didn't accept Foundations in transfer.

Yes, they do. I did the Foundations before I started in December.
  • kemar1016kemar1016 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gOOD DAY,
    They called me last weekend. I think I may start for May and they wont transfer my diploma. So I got to start all over again but I do have my certs. I am hoping to be done in three semesters. Is it possible to do like 9courses per semester?
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm finishing my 4th course at the end of this week so that will be 4 courses in 6 weeks. It is doable if you have the time/experience.

I'm shooting for 17 courses this term, gotta pick it up a bit.
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Made 81% on CLC1 pre assessment. Am I good to go?
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    swild wrote: »
    I'm finishing my 4th course at the end of this week so that will be 4 courses in 6 weeks. It is doable if you have the time/experience.

I'm shooting for 17 courses this term, gotta pick it up a bit.

Wow I'm in BS IT Security and like all your classes are different than mine. I guess they changed the curriculum.
  • calee63calee63 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all. I have a BS already and am planning on enrolling in the MSISA but really am interested in the new network management degree that I've read about. I was wondering if anyone knew if I start on the ISA can I switch to the NM when it becomes available without retaking any classes.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    calee63 wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a BS already and am planning on enrolling in the MSISA but really am interested in the new network management degree that I've read about. I was wondering if anyone knew if I start on the ISA can I switch to the NM when it becomes available without retaking any classes.

I think the two programs have a couple courses in common. You might ask your mentor to move those into your schedule early, so you can take those and switch to NM later without losing much time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • kemar1016kemar1016 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anybody got word on the new BS-IT NDM yet? I see the the MTA exams in it.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    dt3k wrote: »
    Wow I'm in BS IT Security and like all your classes are different than mine. I guess they changed the curriculum.

They change course names all the time. I have no idea why. For example, when I login to my student portal and go to BOV1, the page is for AKV1/BOV1/WJV1. If it is taking you to the same page, why name it something different?
  • archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was speaking to an admissions counselor and she said I am not able to transfer in more credits after I start on my AAP? I am just curious if others know if this is indeed a hard fact? I would like to work on my Java certification while I am taking classes, but it may not make sense to do so if I can not transfer in the Java cert after I start my program.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Archimedes, It's true. I think it's somewhere on their website of when you're eligible to transfer credit in prior to beginning your program. Here you go, explains everything right here: Transcript Facts and Questions | Online University Degree | Western Governors University Online kemar1016, They introduced the MTA exams into the curriculum in October I believe. Someone here posted that the rationale may have been to give students more of a foundation prior to delving into the Microsoft family exams, since those are the ones which seem to give the most problems.
  • thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am starting March 1st and was wondering how everyone uses the ebooks and supplied study material. I am looking at getting an ipad or kindle DX to help from sitting in front of a PC every time I want to read something for school. Does any one use either for their studies?

I am leaning towards an ipad because I have a ton of train signal videos through work for most of the courses I need to take and with the ipad I can run the videos on it.
    Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thall860 wrote: »
    I am starting March 1st and was wondering how everyone uses the ebooks and supplied study material. I am looking at getting an ipad or kindle DX to help from sitting in front of a PC every time I want to read something for school. Does any one use either for their studies?

i use a normal kindle and a smartphone then if there is a diagram i need to look at i look at it on a computer
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    thall860 wrote: »

I use an Ipad 2. I just bring the PDF versions of the books into ibooks.
    WGU grad
    I just passed my assessment. I am waiting on them to process and vote on my resume. I will find out everything tomorrow.

I am also looking at a tablet. I am leaning towards the Ipad just so I can use airplay and watch the videos on a larger screen.

Cheers

Everything is a go.. I start class on April 1.
  • rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got an iPad 2 for my studies at WGU. Its great. I use good reader to read all books on pdf and then some of the other coursework I just read in safari. Definitely gonna get an iPad 3 with wgu studies in mind. :D
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • am87am87 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed my assessment! I am gonna send in my transcrips now and let's see what happens :)
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    archimedes wrote: »
    I just passed my assessment. I am waiting on them to process and vote on my resume. I will find out everything tomorrow.

I am also looking at a tablet. I am leaning towards the Ipad just so I can use airplay and watch the videos on a larger screen.

Cheers

Everything is a go.. I start class on April 1.

Congrats! Welcome aboard!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    I have not been this excited about education in so many years. I really feel like this is the opportunity I have been waiting for. And, seeing so many other people who are succeeding only helps.
  • stavmanstavman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowly reading all this info. Looks my decsions is made this seems like the perfect school for me.

Thinking of doing Information Technology – Security or Information Technology—Networks Design & Management
  • WGUStudent2011WGUStudent2011 Banned Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently enrolled @ WGU I'm in my first term 32 Credits in school so far with 2 months left to go I choose to go with IT Management I was wondering does anybody have any information on BBC1 and BAC1 it's like the test are harder than the study guides that were given.

Thanks
  • kodyabbottkodyabbott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Everyone,

After a lot of research and talking with admissions, getting my resume reviewed (which qualified me for the program) and my transcript evaluated and appealing. I'm due to start on March 1st in the BSIT Network Admin program! Wow what a process!

I have been reading on these board for a month or so now about WGU and everyone's challenges and obstacles, and even the speed which courses are being accomplished, simply amazing.

These are the courses I have left to take that weren't satisfied by my Hotel Management bachelor degree:

WFV1
    IT Fundamentals I

AXV1
    IT Fundamentals II

CPV1
    IT Fundamentals III

DFV1
    Web Development Fundamentals

CUV1
    Web Technologies

BOV1
    Web Programming

DHV1
    Windows OS Fundamentals

CSV1
    Operating Systems

CWV1
    Network Fundamentals

COV1
    Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices

CQV1
    Interconnecting Network Devices

DEV1
    Security Fundamentals

CTV1
    Security

BNC1
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership

MGC1
    Principles of Management

TPV1
    Project Management

AHV1
    Directory Services

AIV1
    Network Design and Management

AJV1
    Server Administration

SBT1
    Technical Writing

RBT1
    IT - Network Administration Capstone Written Project

I'm doing my AAV call this Tuesday. What am I looking at realistically on completing these 83 CU's?

I know it all depends on me and how fast I can accelerate but I still would like opinions and which courses you would recommend taking? I was thinking just about going straight done the list.

Thanks for your replies in advance and as soon as I get more knowledge about WGU I will be able to contribute more to this board!
    That's a fair number of classes to take. Of course, there are many factors, but I'd estimate about 3 terms. I don't see a problem with going down the list. Depending on if you have FA, you might need to save some easier classes to maintain the SAP (satisfactory academic progress)
    Some of these classes can be done in a couple of weeks, others may take months. I would take some time and read through the thread. It will give you an idea of what many people here take and how long.
    From my own experience, the CSV1 and the COV1/ COQ1 can take some time.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kody,

You might be better served dealing with the regular IT degree. You can always do the regular certs later (and this is coming from both someone experienced in IT and graduated with the NDM degree.) If you are light on experience, the IT degree may better serve you in terms of finishing quicker and getting your baseline certs, like A+ anyway.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's a fair number of classes to take. Of course, there are many factors, but I'd estimate about 3 terms. I don't see a problem with going down the list. Depending on if you have FA, you might need to save some easier classes to maintain the SAP (satisfactory academic progress)
    Some of these classes can be done in a couple of weeks, others may take months. I would take some time and read through the thread. It will give you an idea of what many people here take and how long.
    From my own experience, the CSV1 and the COV1/ COQ1 can take some time.

Thank you for telling me how long you think it might take me. I am doing a Stafford Loan... so thanks for the input to maintain SAP. I have started to read this thread! Some great info on here.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Kody,

You might be better served dealing with the regular IT degree. You can always do the regular certs later (and this is coming from both someone experienced in IT and graduated with the NDM degree.) If you are light on experience, the IT degree may better serve you in terms of finishing quicker and getting your baseline certs, like A+ anyway.

A regular IT degree? The reason I chose Network Admin was just to be more specialized.... and have quite a few fundamental certs. I thought it would be ok to jump right into it. This is the first concern I've heard about being light on experience... which I am. but I thought studying and taking these would be ok. maybe not such a good idea i guess?
    kodyabbott wrote: »

A regular IT degree? The reason I chose Network Admin was just to be more specialized.... and have quite a few fundamental certs. I thought it would be ok to jump right into it. This is the first concern I've heard about being light on experience... which I am. but I thought studying and taking these would be ok. maybe not such a good idea i guess?

Erp's talking about the B.S. in IT degree. All of the degrees will get you the same B.S., they just specialize a bit. The Net admin emphasis is a tough one, with the exams being a lot tougher than before.

For someone without a lot of IT experience, the regular IT degree would probably be a better choice. There have been a few people who have switched their emphasis due to the difficulty with some of the exams. Besides, getting the regular one, you can work on the certs you want on your own later on.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Erp's talking about the B.S. in IT degree. All of the degrees will get you the same B.S., they just specialize a bit. The Net admin emphasis is a tough one, with the exams being a lot tougher than before.

For someone without a lot of IT experience, the regular IT degree would probably be a better choice. There have been a few people who have switched their emphasis due to the difficulty with some of the exams. Besides, getting the regular one, you can work on the certs you want on your own later on.

Well I'm not worried about just a B.S. I have one already just not in IT. Shouldn't the foundation course prepare you for the harder exams?
    kodyabbott wrote: »
    Well I'm not worried about just a B.S. I have one already just not in IT. Shouldn't the foundation course prepare you for the harder exams?

The foundation courses should prepare you. WGU recently added the Microsoft MTA exams to the mix, I'm assuming to help with providing a solid foundation for the upper level courses.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Those foundations exams aren't going to prepare you for Cisco. Cisco by itself can take several weeks, or even months before you take the CCENT and other one to give you a CCNA. For $3000, that doesn't make good sense, yet it'd be necessary because you threw the Cisco into the mix.

Whereas the regular IT degree, (the non-specialized one, as Psoasman mentioned) will get you a good amount of certs, plus will give you a better foundation to gain your certs later.

Yes, specializing is certainly the way to go, but if you don't have that much experience in IT, it really would be best if you took the regular IT courses. The programming you have to take up really is a nice set of classes if you ever want to get into SQL administration/developing. (More useful for learning the front-ends of a SQL application, of course.)

Just keep that in mind...even with a Net Admin degree, you are not guaranteed a job in Network administration/engineering. But you would land yourself a nice help desk gig. For that, you're better off getting the non-specialized degree anyway.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Those foundations exams aren't going to prepare you for Cisco. Cisco by itself can take several weeks, or even months before you take the CCENT and other one to give you a CCNA. For $3000, that doesn't make good sense, yet it'd be necessary because you threw the Cisco into the mix.

Just keep that in mind...even with a Net Admin degree, you are not guaranteed a job in Network administration/engineering. But you would land yourself a nice help desk gig. For that, you're better off getting the non-specialized degree anyway.

So your saying that with the material they provide for CCENT and the CCNA I won't be able to pass? Doesn't the MCITP contribute to being work $3k?

Also, I'm not looking for the degree to guarantee me anything. I'm looking at get the best certs that I can accomplish with some hard work and time.