Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    mjnincmjninc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great! Thanks!

Degree choice question: (I have my gen education completed from brick and mortar.)

I should be able to start WGU in March. I have been in general tech support, desktop help desk, (mostly food service specific software) for about 10 years. I have a very general understanding of technology, I don't know how to subnet from scratch but I can set computers on up on the network and have general Active Directory experience, creating users/password resets, etc. I understand MS Office and can code a basic website.

With my basic experience, which degree should I go for? I was thinking Net Admin so I can get CCNA and MCITP:SA and then take the other two tests I need to get EA. It seems the MS tests are a butt kicker. I am concerned about paying for a bunch of school if the certs will really bog me down. My learning speed with tech is about average. I think the certs make me much more marketable, but it has been difficult for me to do certs on my own.

Which degree would you choose? Net Admin or General IT?

Thank you for your help!

(I will probably have a bunch more questions about WGU.)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mjninc wrote: »
    Great! Thanks!

Degree choice question: (I have my gen education completed from brick and mortar.)

I should be able to start WGU in March. I have been in general tech support, desktop help desk, (mostly food service specific software) for about 10 years. I have a very general understanding of technology, I don't know how to subnet from scratch but I can set computers on up on the network and have general Active Directory experience, creating users/password resets, etc. I understand MS Office and can code a basic website.

With my basic experience, which degree should I go for? I was thinking Net Admin so I can get CCNA and MCITP:SA and then take the other two tests I need to get EA. It seems the MS tests are a butt kicker. I am concerned about paying for a bunch of school if the certs will really bog me down. My learning speed with tech is about average. I think the certs make me much more marketable, but it has been difficult for me to do certs on my own.

Which degree would you choose? Net Admin or General IT?

Thank you for your help!

(I will probably have a bunch more questions about WGU.)

Here is my advice. Do the CCNA or MCITP:EA and then start at WGU. I found that Certs+College made my life stressful. Besides, if you get the CCNA or MCITP:EA you might be able to move to greater things while finishing your degree.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Here is my advice. Do the CCNA or MCITP:EA and then start at WGU. I found that Certs+College made my life stressful. Besides, if you get the CCNA or MCITP:EA you might be able to move to greater things while finishing your degree.

I will agree with what veritas said. Either do the certs before or after WGU. I ended up paying 2800 for a term and only got a Microsoft test in. 2800 for a 150 dollar test just doesn't make sense. If you had a lot of MS experience I would say otherwise. I have more MS server experience than you are listing and that is where it put me.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies! I have virtually no MS server experience. I have already had all of my transcripts sent to WGU. It's my understanding they won't accept certs after this point, is that correct?

If so, what I am hearing I should do Information Technology and the certs after that. This helps thanks!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i totally agree certs after wgu. thats what im switching to the resources for the microsoft classes are somewhat lacking and its costly just for one cert
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for your replies! I have virtually no MS server experience. I have already had all of my transcripts sent to WGU. It's my understanding they won't accept certs after this point, is that correct?

If so, what I am hearing I should do Information Technology and the certs after that. This helps thanks!

You don't "transfer" certs or classes in once you enroll in WGU. Basically, if you want to do the EA, for example, you don't do it on your own; you enroll in the class that relates to the cert, get a voucher, take the exam, send a score report in, and you get the grade after 3 days.

But as Veritas and jmj have stated, it is MUCH better to do certs AFTER or BEFORE WGU. During WGU will only leave you with stress...and I have YEARS of server experience. That's what I'm doing for the SQL Server 2008 R2. (Administration). If I could have gone back in time, I would have told myself to do the regular IT degree OR even gone the IT: Business route (though I would have felt like I was on my own, since that's not part of the School of IT...) and not kill yourself for the MS certs, even though I'm glad I have them! But I had to sacrifice a lot of time to attain the EA within my last two terms.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You don't "transfer" certs or classes in once you enroll in WGU. Basically, if you want to do the EA, for example, you don't do it on your own; you enroll in the class that relates to the cert, get a voucher, take the exam, send a score report in, and you get the grade after 3 days.

But as Veritas and jmj have stated, it is MUCH better to do certs AFTER or BEFORE WGU. During WGU will only leave you with stress...and I have YEARS of server experience. That's what I'm doing for the SQL Server 2008 R2. (Administration). If I could have gone back in time, I would have told myself to do the regular IT degree OR even gone the IT: Business route (though I would have felt like I was on my own, since that's not part of the School of IT...) and not kill yourself for the MS certs, even though I'm glad I have them! But I had to sacrifice a lot of time to attain the EA within my last two terms.

I agree with getting some certs before doing WGU, especially the easy ones, like CompTIA or CIW. However, I like being able to do the server exams at WGU. Why? I have access to more resources than I normally would. I like LabSim, but wouldn't be able to afford it on my own. Being able to have access to books, videos, labs, etc gives you more exposure and helps build a good foundation. Too many people just pick up a book and spend hours memorizing exam questions, then get upset when they don't know the information.

I think another variable is people changing careers and jumping into a B.S in IT. Having done my MCSE, it makes the material I am learning so much easier, as the foundations are already there. If I was starting new, I doubt I would be doing a full online degree, based on certs. It is a lot of information to take in, especially if you are new to the IT field.

The CCNA might be another story, as I haven't much experience with that stuff yet. I could see using most of a term to do the CCNA, if there were concepts that were harder to absorb.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I agree with getting some certs before doing WGU, especially the easy ones, like CompTIA or CIW. However, I like being able to do the server exams at WGU. Why? I have access to more resources than I normally would. I like LabSim, but wouldn't be able to afford it on my own. Being able to have access to books, videos, labs, etc gives you more exposure and helps build a good foundation. Too many people just pick up a book and spend hours memorizing exam questions, then get upset when they don't know the information.

I think another variable is people changing careers and jumping into a B.S in IT. Having done my MCSE, it makes the material I am learning so much easier, as the foundations are already there. If I was starting new, I doubt I would be doing a full online degree, based on certs. It is a lot of information to take in, especially if you are new to the IT field.

The CCNA might be another story, as I haven't much experience with that stuff yet. I could see using most of a term to do the CCNA, if there were concepts that were harder to absorb.

Nah, as I've said to you and others, having an MCSE already, a NDM degree is certainly doable. I personally didn't have that, but I was able to go through the studying and labbing based on the amount of time I had. But that came at a personal cost of time. You won't have those issues (or rather you shouldn't) because I truly do believe that your MCSE will be solid for the rest of the exams to come. And that's regardless of 2008 R2's new features and the little IPv6 you'll have to take in.

For someone with no IT background or certs to speak of....the general IT degree will serve that person well.
  • Options
    My tentative start date is March 1. Do you have any advice as to what I should do in the mean time?

I was thinking study up on Network+ and A+ so I can test out of those right after my start date. I haven't seen my transcript evaluation yet, should be a week or so.

My goal is to be the head of an IT Department one day with a school district or somewhere in a University System. Would a Business degree in IT Management degree be better on the resume? (I intend to get an MBA or an advanced IT degree as well.)

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    My tentative start date is March 1. Do you have any advice as to what I should do in the mean time?

I was thinking study up on Network+ and A+ so I can test out of those right after my start date. I haven't seen my transcript evaluation yet, should be a week or so.

My goal is to be the head of an IT Department one day with a school district or somewhere in a University System. Would a Business degree in IT Management degree be better on the resume? (I intend to get an MBA or an advanced IT degree as well.)

Thanks for the advice!

I would suggest you get a BS in Business at WGU, while working on the A+ or CCNA. That is just my opinion.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    I would suggest you get a BS in Business at WGU, while working on the A+ or CCNA. That is just my opinion.

Veritas presents one valid strategy. Another would be to get a BS-IT from WGU, spend some time in the trenches as an IT grunt for a few years while getting an MBA-IT. From there move into IT management.

Either way is viable. The benefit to Veritas' strategy is that it may allow you to move into IT management without spending the extra time and money on a master's degree.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the ideas!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Question! Question! Me next!

Alright, I understand WGU's policy on certs needing to have been completed in the preceding five years. Now, considering that I had an MCSE on 2000 and later upped it to 2003 and finally upgraded to MCITP EA/SA... would my stuff transfer in since I did the upgrade exam?

Note: Under quick thought, I realized that my MS transcript shows each of the covered exams and not the upgrade exam, so I would have to think that they would accept. Clarification would still be nice, especially for anyone in the future that would ask.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »

Alright, I understand WGU's policy on certs needing to have been completed in the preceding five years. Now, considering that I had an MCSE on 2000 and later upped it to 2003 and finally upgraded to MCITP EA/SA... would my stuff transfer in since I did the upgrade exam?

Note: Under quick thought, I realized that my MS transcript shows each of the covered exams and not the upgrade exam, so I would have to think that they would accept. Clarification would still be nice, especially for anyone in the future that would ask.

In a nutshell, yes. The enrollment counselors wouldn't care about the particular exams; just the certifications so long as it was earned in five years.

My A+ exams were based on the 300 series, back when I took them in 2005. Network+ was taken right after. However, I was within the 5 year mark prior to enrolling in 2010. If I had waited a few more months, I would have had to take the A+ and Network+ exams again, and would have been under the CE program for lifetime certs. That wasn't going to happen.... :)

So I'm pretty sure your EA or SA certs would count, even if you took the upgrade exams.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    powerfool wrote: »

Like erpadmin said WGU does not care which numbered exam you took. As long as you have the MCITP:EA in your Microsoft transcript it will be accepted.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I have an appointment set up for Thursday to talk with someone at WGU. I'm on my final semester of my Associates and I've been giving it a lot of thought (pursuing a Bachelors) and I decided to talk with someone at WGU and see what they've got to say.

erpadmin - I noticed a few pages back you said you would have taken the BS-IT instead of the BS-IT- Network Admin. Just curious why it was you suggested that. Is it because it's an easier degree to get or did you think that it's a degree that can work out better for someone in the long run?
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Reseven wrote: »
    erpadmin - I noticed a few pages back you said you would have taken the BS-IT instead of the BS-IT- Network Admin. Just curious why it was you suggested that. Is it because it's an easier degree to get or did you think that it's a degree that can work out better for someone in the long run?

My emphasis is Network Design and Management....but yes I did say I would have been better off with a regular BS-IT degree instead of one with fives moderately difficult MS exams. I knew going in that I would have to mentally hustle to get a MCITP:EA. I figured it wouldn't be that bad, since I had MS experience and I understood MS had their own way of doing things which at times would never fly in the real world. Still...I figured it wouldn't be that bad.

While I spent a lot of time studying and passed...I had to shell out $294 out of my own money to get vouchers after my requisite number of vouchers (643 twice and one 647 at full price because I didn't want to go through the BS of asking for another voucher...even though it would have not cost me $150.)

In retrospect, I just wanted both a degree and the MCSE-like cert...in the beginning it sounded like fun, but then....I really didn't care about the EA. I just wanted to deal with graduate school...and I probably would have been better off dealing with the Java courses. BUT, I did do the NDM, and showed that it could be done. However, I had no lead time into starting grad school...basically gave myself a week instead of three like I thought I would get.

If I were you, if your CompTIAs are still within five years old, I would upgrade your MCSA to a MCITP:SA and then go for System Administration. UNLESS, you don't feel like gunning for a CCNA. Then you might want the regular IT degree yourself.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    My emphasis is Network Design and Management....but yes I did say I would have been better off with a regular BS-IT degree instead of one with fives moderately difficult MS exams. I knew going in that I would have to mentally hustle to get a MCITP:EA. I figured it wouldn't be that bad, since I had MS experience and I understood MS had their own way of doing things which at times would never fly in the real world. Still...I figured it wouldn't be that bad.

While I spent a lot of time studying and passed...I had to shell out $294 out of my own money to get vouchers after my requisite number of vouchers (643 twice and one 647 at full price because I didn't want to go through the BS of asking for another voucher...even though it would have not cost me $150.)

In retrospect, I just wanted both a degree and the MCSE-like cert...in the beginning it sounded like fun, but then....I really didn't care about the EA. I just wanted to deal with graduate school...and I probably would have been better off dealing with the Java courses. BUT, I did do the NDM, and showed that it could be done. However, I had no lead time into starting grad school...basically gave myself a week instead of three like I thought I would get.

If I were you, if your CompTIAs are still within five years old, I would upgrade your MCSA to a MCITP:SA and then go for System Administration. UNLESS, you don't feel like gunning for a CCNA. Then you might want the regular IT degree yourself.

Thanks for the response!

Sounds like you’ve had quite an adventure with your studies.

My A+ will be five years old come April this year. The next oldest is my Net+ which is 4 years. I had been thinking about taking the 2 upgrade exams for the MCITP:SA soon… so I should definitely do those first before I start at WGU? Also, did you mean the NETW when you said System Administration? Oh wait, another thing… so there’s some Cisco (CCNA) tucked away in that one (NETW)? I’m looking at the pdf for NETW and I don’t see Cisco specifically mentioned.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Rajuy_ElbeyRajuy_Elbey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, Im just going to jump in with my questions. I have no professional experience in IT. In August 2011 I received my AAIT at UoP. I wanted to get my BSIT-Security at WGU. I understand that i will have to work harder because of lack of experience. I am willing to learn, driven and goal oriented. I have been talking to enrollment counselors and all. Is there anyone else who is in my boat that has graduated from WGU? I see that the graduation rate is only 16%.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    So.... After about 6 months or so of consideration, I'm finally convinced that WGU is where I want to 'go'. I completed (and passed) the readiness assessment in October and a few weeks ago received confirmation that WGU received transcripts for my associates degree. I've tried calling and emailing my enrollment counselor several times in the last week and a half, with no response.

I guess my question here is what do I do next? I'm hoping to start in March so i need to get things moving here. Should I just call the 1-866-225-5948 number on the main page? Do they work on saturdays?

thanks.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Ok, Im just going to jump in with my questions. I have no professional experience in IT. In August 2011 I received my AAIT at UoP. I wanted to get my BSIT-Security at WGU. I understand that i will have to work harder because of lack of experience. I am willing to learn, driven and goal oriented. I have been talking to enrollment counselors and all. Is there anyone else who is in my boat that has graduated from WGU? I see that the graduation rate is only 16%.

Graduation rate has been discussed....you can actually find that by searching on this site.

In a nutshell though, the graduation rate is irrelevant. It only accounts for those who started WGU as their first college experience. The 84% who did not attribute to the graduation rate either washed out entirely or transferred to other schools. The graduation rate doesn't take into account students like I myself who transferred in to WGU (I won't be part of the graduation rate because I transferred in college credits.) Unfortunately, the federal government doesn't take graduation rates of transfers into account. WGU is not meant to be a college where HS seniors go into. It's a place for adults who either have an associates already, or have some college credits, but need a degree.

I graduated from WGU, and am now at a B&M school for my MS....you can't go by graduation rate.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    So.... After about 6 months or so of consideration, I'm finally convinced that WGU is where I want to 'go'. I completed (and passed) the readiness assessment in October and a few weeks ago received confirmation that WGU received transcripts for my associates degree. I've tried calling and emailing my enrollment counselor several times in the last week and a half, with no response.

I guess my question here is what do I do next? I'm hoping to start in March so i need to get things moving here. Should I just call the 1-866-225-5948 number on the main page? Do they work on saturdays?

thanks.

Some of the EC's are flaky. I would call the main number and request a new EC.
  • Options
    katbhuvekatbhuve Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to join MSISA program. Can anyone let me know what certifications that we need to take during this program?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    katbhuve wrote: »
    I am planning to join MSISA program. Can anyone let me know what certifications that we need to take during this program?

Thanks in advance.

The web site has all the information needed: Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    The web site has all the information needed: Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    korbaskorbas Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How marketable is a WGU degree, generally speaking?

When you go into an interview and they see WGU on the resume, do they scratch their heads and look clueless? Do they talk about how great of a school it is? Do they dismiss it out of hand? What's the typical reaction?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    korbas wrote: »
    How marketable is a WGU degree, generally speaking?

When you go into an interview and they see WGU on the resume, do they scratch their heads and look clueless? Do they talk about how great of a school it is? Do they dismiss it out of hand? What's the typical reaction?

You'd have to search the threads a bit. Last I recall is some folks have fielded questions about why they chose WGU, but none have noted any negative reactions.

Online degrees are becoming not only more common but more accepted. It won't be long before folks won't even bat an eyelash over it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    petedude wrote: »
    You'd have to search the threads a bit. Last I recall is some folks have fielded questions about why they chose WGU, but none have noted any negative reactions.

Online degrees are becoming not only more common but more accepted. It won't be long before folks won't even bat an eyelash over it.

Enrollment at WGU has been increasing dramatically lately, with WGU being a preferred school for employees of several states (Texas, etc.). There are some news articles out there about their growth. Eventually the WGU name will be more recognizable in HR departments.
  • Options
    I am a front-end developer and I do not have a clue about Information Security area. How hard is to finish MSISA program who do not have any prior knowledge in Information Security?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Anyone heard anything about the rumored MS in networking? I still haven't seen anything posted on it yet.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers