Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about the rumored MS in networking? I still haven't seen anything posted on it yet.

It's not spring yet, although it does feel like it here in sunny South Carolina with the 60 and 70 degree weather ;)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone heard anything about the rumored MS in networking? I still haven't seen anything posted on it yet.

Gwen posted in the IT forum, on January 6th. Looks pretty good.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    It says that the Master of Science in Information Technology Network Management (MSITNM) is scheduled to start May 1, 2012. It will probably be another month or 2 before you see anything on their site about it.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Another question, this time for the WGU MBA-ITM folks:

Were you asked to take any additional math assessments as part of EWB? If I decide to go into the program, I want to be as well prepared for those kinds of surprises as I can.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Were you asked to take any additional math assessments as part of EWB? If I decide to go into the program, I want to be as well prepared for those kinds of surprises as I can.

Nope, EWB is essentially how to use the school resources, that's it. The math stuff comes later, which even though i'm about to start my third time I put off until the end. Always disliked math.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Nope, EWB is essentially how to use the school resources, that's it. The math stuff comes later, which even though i'm about to start my third time I put off until the end. Always disliked math.

Ummmm.....

(He took the same EWB as we did.)
  • Options
    ASANTIAGOASANTIAGO Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick,

Would you recommend this school to your friends. I am trying to get a idea about what I will do next after my MCSE + Security and CCNA. I have til 2013 to make my decision if I will be getting my Degree in InfoSec. I am currently working in Sec Ops. I really want to make sure I pick the Best School to get my Degree. I see they take certs as core credits. I have been looking at other Online I.T Schools but so far this seems like the best one.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
  • Options
    ASANTIAGO wrote: »
    Hypntick,

Would you recommend this school to your friends. I am trying to get a idea about what I will do next after my MCSE + Security and CCNA. I have til 2013 to make my decision if I will be getting my Degree in InfoSec. I am currently working in Sec Ops. I really want to make sure I pick the Best School to get my Degree. I see they take certs as core credits. I have been looking at other Online I.T Schools but so far this seems like the best one.

Thank you,

I'm not Hypntick, but I have and do recommend WGU as the best online-only university out there. In fact, I have two coworkers who are also attending WGU, and another who I believe will soon be attending as well.
  • Options
    Hypntick,

Thank you,

I'm not Hypntick either icon_wink.gif, but I highly recommend this school. Very positive experience, so far.
  • Options
    Hypntick,

Thank you,

I too am not Hypntick, but I can tell you that WGU allowed me to obtain a degree that allows me to do graduate level coursework at a very popular Brick & Mortar (B&M) school (NJIT) to further validate WGU as a legitimate option for obtaining an undergraduate degree. I'm doing very well at NJIT so far, and I plan on keeping the momentum going.

One can't go wrong with a WGU degree in IT...doors will open when the degree is coupled with experience. If WGU's degree was worthless, a school like NJIT would have told me so. :)
  • Options
    freenrgy2freenrgy2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to say, 'thanks', for these threads on WGU. I've been going back and forth on which online school to attend as well as which program to enter. Based on the reviews here and elsewhere, I've decided to attend WGU and enroll in the Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics.

I'm an IT Professional and have been employed with a local hospital for 13+ years. Believe it or not, we don't require certs, but most positions require a B.S. or equivalent experience. I attended a local accredited community college from 1993 to 2002 and have well over 100 semester credits, mainly focused in CIS classes with some GE classes sprinkled in for good measure. I would be very happy if a few of those transferred in, but I'm doubtful.

I'm choosing WGU based on the numerous good reviews and, more importantly for me, the cost. My employer will reimburse $1000/year, so that will help the bottom line for me. I decided on the HI program to help round out my knowledge in a health care environment. It will be nice to be in a project meeting and have a more detailed understanding of ICD codes or a particular department's processes. Right now, it's a high level understanding of these things. And I hope to go on and obtain a MS in IT Management after this.

Right now, our hospital is engaged in two HIE projects and I can only see the need for health informatics degrees increasing these next few years. I want to think Sledge for the referral so that the application fee was waived. I'll be taking the entrance assessment this coming weekend and hope to start within the next couple of months.

Looking forward to keeping this forum abreast of my progress.
  • Options
    freenrgy2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to say, 'thanks', for these threads on WGU. I've been going back and forth on which online school to attend as well as which program to enter. Based on the reviews here and elsewhere, I've decided to attend WGU and enroll in the Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics.

I'm an IT Professional and have been employed with a local hospital for 13+ years. Believe it or not, we don't require certs, but most positions require a B.S. or equivalent experience. I attended a local accredited community college from 1993 to 2002 and have well over 100 semester credits, mainly focused in CIS classes with some GE classes sprinkled in for good measure. I would be very happy if a few of those transferred in, but I'm doubtful.

I'm choosing WGU based on the numerous good reviews and, more importantly for me, the cost. My employer will reimburse $1000/year, so that will help the bottom line for me. I decided on the HI program to help round out my knowledge in a health care environment. It will be nice to be in a project meeting and have a more detailed understanding of ICD codes or a particular department's processes. Right now, it's a high level understanding of these things. And I hope to go on and obtain a MS in IT Management after this.

Right now, our hospital is engaged in two HIE projects and I can only see the need for health informatics degrees increasing these next few years. I want to think Sledge for the referral so that the application fee was waived. I'll be taking the entrance assessment this coming weekend and hope to start within the next couple of months.

Looking forward to keeping this forum abreast of my progress.

Welcome to TE! I hope WGU works out well for you.
  • Options
    freenrgy2 wrote: »

Something to be aware of is that any class taken more than 5 years ago will not be able to be transferred for your major classes, only for the liberal arts classes. At least that's the way that it is for the BSIT degree. Since it is the same department, I would assume that it would be the same for the BSHI. Still, you should be at least halfway towards a Bachelor's.

When I first applied, I was told that this only applied to certifications. However, when my official transfer decision came back, I was told that it also applies to classes. Just to be aware.

I had a rough time getting in. Don't be discouraged if your Enrollment Counsilor doesn't seem to know what he/she is doing. It's much better when you get going.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »

I got hit with a math assessment right after I finished EWB, which was annoying after having done the entrance exams. Thankfully, I was able to grab Statistics for Dummies to read up on a couple things, then retake the assessment.

I have not heard of anything similar since right around the period when I finished EWB-- it's possible they're not asking people to take post-enrollment assessments anymore. But I thought I should make sure-- I would rather not get hit with stats or some quantitative math exam right after enrolling in the MBA-ITM (if I do go that route).

Yes, I could use the math, but if it's some sort of nifty secret surprise it will mess with my personal timeline for completing the diploma. Maybe I should ask my mentor when I talk to him next.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Hi all, I've got some questions about the three programming classes at WGU. I've tried searching through the forums, but the course codes show up in quite a few email signatures...

So, I'm looking to take these classes sometime during this term (5 months left) and/or next term:
    BOV1 - Web Programming
    KET1 - Introduction to Programming
    KFT1 - Object Oriented Design and Development

So I'm sure BOV1 won't be too difficult since it's a CIW exam and won't require actual programming. Any feedback on the ease of BOV1? As far as KET1 and KFT1 go, my mentor says that a lot of students struggle with them and they should not be attempted together in the same term. I have some scripting experience, but very little solid programming experience. I'm sure some of you guys were in the same boat when you took these, so how did they go? Any feedback from the veterans?

I may try to knock out BOV1 this term and work through some of KET1. Next term = finish KET1 and work through KFT1.

Thoughts? Pitfalls? Cheers!
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm considering, (still), signing up to WGU for the Bachelor of Science, Information Technology - Security

I was going through the list of classes and realized I might have more classes waived than previously thought, but I do still need some general ed classes. What I'm confused about is what the WGU classes, specifically the math classes, translate to. For example, If I've already passed intermediate Algebra at a community college, what math classes would that knock out at WGU?

I'm also probably going to do whatever general ed classes I can with Straighterline, (or any other reputable online school for general ed classes to transfer to WGU). Does anybody know what classes translate from Straighterline to WGU? I'm a little confused what classes specifically match up to what between the two.
  • Options
    astrogeek wrote: »
    I'm considering, (still), signing up to WGU for the Bachelor of Science, Information Technology - Security

I was going through the list of classes and realized I might have more classes waived than previously thought, but I do still need some general ed classes. What I'm confused about is what the WGU classes, specifically the math classes, translate to. For example, If I've already passed intermediate Algebra at a community college, what math classes would that knock out at WGU?

I'm also probably going to do whatever general ed classes I can with Straighterline, (or any other reputable online school for general ed classes to transfer to WGU). Does anybody know what classes translate from Straighterline to WGU? I'm a little confused what classes specifically match up to what between the two.

Intermediate Algebra might satisfy QLT1/QLC1.....an enrollment counselor will be your best bet for transcripts evals.

The GE classes, while a lot of work, are quite doable.

As for Straighterline/WGU....take a look at this link:

Transfer College Credits To Western Governors University - StraighterLine

(BTW, Straighterline classes now require proctoring for the exams IF a student is transferring to WGU. This was as per 2/1/2012. It's on the Straighterline's WGU partner page)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got an Associates in Applied Science for Network Design and Administration. I'm trying to weigh what will take me longer to complete. A local school allows me to completely transfer in my degree to knock out half of their degree. I'm not sure how much of my degree will transfer into WGU because it is in Applied Science not a General Associates. Essentially, I think the difference between my degree and the other is that I wasn't required to take some of the general education courses.

My plan of attack would be to knock out the A+,N+, Project+, and CIW exams relatively quickly. I think that would allow me to focus on the general courses. I guess what I am really trying to ask is has anyone transferred in an AAS and did you get credit for some of the general education stuff? Also, any idea how long I would be looking at with the certs that I already have? I'm pretty motivated to get this knocked out, I would be able to commit ~4 hours a day to earning my degree.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Since they changed their policy for AAS vs. AS for the IT programs you should be sitting pretty good. Since you have your MCITP:EA that would knock out 5 classes right off the bat. I transferred classes in from an AAS and since then they have become more lenient on giving credit for AAS classes.
    If you hold an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS) degree or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) from an institution that is recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, you should clear most of the lower-division general education requirements for a bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Technology

My guess is you would have to take the CIW and Comptia exams as well as Tech Writing and the Capstone. There may be a few other general ed classes still required. I'm not too sure how they are approaching the MS MTA exams. I would talk it over with an enrollment counselor.
    WGU grad
  • Options

I am finishing up the Web Design course now and will hopefully be starting on BOV1 next week. I was going to tackle KET1 first thing but after looking through the first section, I decided that I needed a little more programming behind me. After BOV1, which hopefully will not take more than 10 days or so, I will be going right in to KET1 and then KFT1.

In a month or so I can tell you all about them.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    swild wrote: »
    I am finishing up the Web Design course now and will hopefully be starting on BOV1 next week. I was going to tackle KET1 first thing but after looking through the first section, I decided that I needed a little more programming behind me. After BOV1, which hopefully will not take more than 10 days or so, I will be going right in to KET1 and then KFT1.

In a month or so I can tell you all about them.

Awesome, I would appreciate any feedback. I'll probably crank out the Security+ before starting on BOV1, and then work through Project+ at the same time to break up the monotony. I'm looking at starting BOV1 in a few weeks. I'm finishing up with WSV1 right now.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I've got an Associates in Applied Science for Network Design and Administration. I'm trying to weigh what will take me longer to complete. A local school allows me to completely transfer in my degree to knock out half of their degree. I'm not sure how much of my degree will transfer into WGU because it is in Applied Science not a General Associates. Essentially, I think the difference between my degree and the other is that I wasn't required to take some of the general education courses.

My plan of attack would be to knock out the A+,N+, Project+, and CIW exams relatively quickly. I think that would allow me to focus on the general courses. I guess what I am really trying to ask is has anyone transferred in an AAS and did you get credit for some of the general education stuff? Also, any idea how long I would be looking at with the certs that I already have? I'm pretty motivated to get this knocked out, I would be able to commit ~4 hours a day to earning my degree.

I transferred my AAS in, along with some classes from previous college. I only have to take the 2 humanities courses, 1 organizational behavior course, and 1 management. All 4 can be done in about a month or.

Your EA should clear the:
    A+, MTA's for OS,network fundamentals, plus the 640 / 642.
    Security+ is cleared.
    Having your CCNA will also clear 2 courses, if you decided the network admin emphasis.

Looks like you'll need the CIW courses and Project+.

Your enrollment counselor can answer more questions about the specific classes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since they changed their policy for AAS vs. AS for the IT programs you should be sitting pretty good. Since you have your MCITP:EA that would knock out 5 classes right off the bat. I transferred classes in from an AAS and since then they have become more lenient on giving credit for AAS classes.

My guess is you would have to take the CIW and Comptia exams as well as Tech Writing and the Capstone. There may be a few other general ed classes still required. I'm not too sure how they are approaching the MS MTA exams. I would talk it over with an enrollment counselor.

+1, thanks for the advice.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I transferred my AAS in, along with some classes from previous college. I only have to take the 2 humanities courses, 1 organizational behavior course, and 1 management. All 4 can be done in about a month or.

Your EA should clear the:
    A+, MTA's for OS,network fundamentals, plus the 640 / 642.
    Security+ is cleared.
    Having your CCNA will also clear 2 courses, if you decided the network admin emphasis.

Looks like you'll need the CIW courses and Project+.

Your enrollment counselor can answer more questions about the specific classes.

+1 I've requested an enrollment counselor contact me to see what classes I would be required to take. If I'm reading that correctly, you only need 4 classes to get your Bachelor's? That is awesome!
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490

+1 I've requested an enrollment counselor contact me to see what classes I would be required to take. If I'm reading that correctly, you only need 4 classes to get your Bachelor's? That is awesome!

That would be awesome!!icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    +1, thanks for the advice.

I started December 1st, 2011 with 14 classes total to complete. I have 4 done so far. Hoping to be done in the next year or so. Depends on the CCNA.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Hello all,

I have a question for you regarding the requirement of previous college credits.

I never went to a college and have no credits and reading WGU's policies it doesn't seem like its a requirement so I applied as I've been working in the IT field for the last 7 years.

Now I got a call from someone in admissions and it seems I need either at least one college credit or one IT certification.

Is this true?

If so I plan on taking the A+ but I couldn't find this information on the website, so I'm a little upset.

Thanks,
  • Options
    This is from their site: You might call and have double-check. If you need a cert, then do the CIW:Foundations. It's easy, just a mix of networking, some security, and a little HTML v5 tossed in.

Special requirements for WGU’s IT programs

Demonstrate IT experience either through:
    An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
    High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
    Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
    Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
    One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
    One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
    Transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
    A resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Psoasman wrote: »
    This is from their site: You might call and have double-check. If you need a cert, then do the CIW:Foundations. It's easy, just a mix of networking, some security, and a little HTML v5 tossed in.

Special requirements for WGU’s IT programs

Demonstrate IT experience either through:
    An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
    High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
    Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
    Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
    One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
    One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
    Transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
    A resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.

Yeah I assumed my resume of help desk / desktop support / network admin would have worked but they said I needed a certification or at least one college course of 3 credits or more.

Thanks for the heads up reading CIW:Foundations, I'll take a look and see if there's a local testing center
  • Options
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me that they require something more than they say on the site. The site lags from actual policies sometimes.

I would consider the Network+ exam if you have the experience. It was the easiest CompTIA exam of the several I have taken, and cheaper since it is only one test instead of 2 for the A+. Look at the topics on CompTIA's site.

CIW Foundations is a cake walk, but I think it is on it's way out of the degree plans. I read somewhere a couple of months ago that they were taking it out of the Security and Network Management emphases starting this month, but its still there so who knows.
  • Options
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up reading CIW:Foundations, I'll take a look and see if there's a local testing center

Slow down a moment-- last I recall, they didn't accept Foundations in transfer. I'd recommend testing out of the Javascript one if you want to nail a CIW cert pre-emptively.

A good Javascript book and uCertify will do ya. If you can set aside 4-6 weeks it might help, but some people can zoom through this one.
    --Will Rogers